Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Intruder ❯ Angels... ( Chapter 10 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Intruder - Part Ten
Angels...


Hilde sat watching nothing interesting on TV, while Duo lay back on his bed, with his eyes shut. She flicked through the channels, and found the news. Usually she wouldn't have been the least bit interested, but now she left it on.

At the word 'Gundam' Duo had tensed, and opened his eyes. During operational he relaxed again, but sat bolt upright at the words 'training' and 'attack'.



The commentary was abruptly cut short by the little yellow triangle in the bottom left of the screen. Hilde had pressed mute. Duo jumped off the bed and perched on the back of the couch. She looked up at him.
"Duo, I-"
"No, no, put it on, put it back on."
The presenter put his hand over his ear listening to an incoming message.
The triangle disappeared.
The announcer gasped looking excited and tried to fake shock.


"03!" Duo nearly fell off the sofa with surprise and laughter.
"That's Sandrock, not HeavyArms!" he realized what he'd said. "Wufei and Quatre are out there!? Man, no fun! I wanna play!"
He watched as Nataku's trident flew through yet another unfortunate mine.
"Pushed to the Limit!! Pah! That ain't Chang's limit!! He's playin' with 'em!! He could take 'em out before they even got close with the Dragon Fangs! He's enjoyin' himself!!"
He watched as Sandrock's twin heat blades spun out across the blackness of space, glowing red, and filled the camera's zoomed view with showers of sparks. Quatre had spotted a lone MD, and the resulting fireworks were impressive.

The man in question looked up at the camera, puzzled.

Duo was laughing at the reporter, "Menace?! Me??" he smiled innocently, placing his hand together in a ring, and holding them over his head like a halo.
But then his halo went, and the smile was replaced with the laughter of the Destroyer.





Hilde turned off the TV, and looked at Duo. His expression held the biggest grin.
"I gotta go out there, Hilde." Was all he said.
"Duo, I-" she stopped, the smile was still there. ~ I want to come with you...~
"No worries, babe. Hey, didn't you come in Taurus?! You can come too!!"
~ Yes!! ~ Her face reflected his, the smile there was just as bright.
"Well, what are ya waitin' for?! Let's go!!"
He leapt to the door, and opened it, letting her through first. Shutting it tight behind him, he grabbed her shoulder as he ran past, pulling and letting go.
"C'mon Hill, I'll race ya!"
"Yeah right!" She called back at him, already disappearing off down the corridor.
~ No chance you'll leave me behind ~


Trowa Barton was sitting on the bed, with Charlie lying across his lap. Ordinarily he would have moved him, as he was pretty heavy. But today the lion wasn't the biggest weight on his mind. ~ What if Heero hadn't come in right then? ~
He criticized himself for being so 'weak'. Thinking aloud helped to clear his muddled brain, and Charlie kept him from drifting into self-pity.
Helped him stay on the task he had set himself to do.
"This intruder must be destroyed." He said, repeating Quatre's words from before.
Charlie's big brown eyes looked up at him, as if he understood somehow.
"I know you're clever, but this is a little too complicated." ~ I don't understand it myself ~


Meanwhile, Heero Yuy had been checking the files on his computer, he had bypassed his own, he knew all it contained so there was no inclination to press *enter *, however, the yearning to press *delete * was almost too strong. He switched to the next file, named "Duo Maxwell / Deathscythe 02" He went straight in the Deathscythe file, delaying the urge to read up on the guy who'd save his life so many times, before even knowing him. The slightest hint of a smile passed across his features in the memory.


Duo had reached the Hangar ahead of Hilde, he had known he would, and didn't really want to, but was desperate to join in the fray. The gravity, as always, was light, and he leapt up to Deathscythe's cockpit.
It glowed as he came in the entry-hole, recognizing its pilot.
"Hi there 'Angel' how's it goin'?"
He looked across at Hilde's Taurus, she had just entered the pilot's seat. Her voice came across over the communicator.
"Ready for blast off, 02?"
"Hang on a bit, babe, I'll just get Chang an' Quatre on."


The pair in question were currently engaged in battle with a particularly 'friendly' bunch of mines, and were facing them in close range combat.
"02 callin' 04 'n' 5? Do you read?"
Quatre answered "Can you wait for a bit, 02? We're kinda busy up here"
"Sure, we were just wonderin' if we were clear."
"Yes, but wait-
"Winner! Behind you!" Chang came over the intercom like a gunshot.
"Where? What is? Ok, got them...Hey, there's loads!!"
"D'ya want us t' come help?"
"Um, no I'm fine. * BANG * What the?"
"Cat! What's wrong!?"
"Nothing * cough * just got the wind knocked * cough * out of me, excuse me * cough *"
"You sure? Chang, what's the view?"
"Can't see, too much smoke. Wait."
"Quatre? You ok?"
" *cough * I think...the air...*cough * too thin...Duo..."
"Wufei! Bring him back here now!"
"Already on it Maxwell."
"I'm...ok...no problem...*cough *really"
"Really?" Duo said sarcastically. "I don't care, you're coming back here now."
"Duo?"
"Shush, Hilde please."
~ He sounds serious. He's never serious. ~
"How far are you?"
"Two minutes at tops."
"We'll be waiting for you both."
~ Him, and the woman. ~
"Duo...Wufei...I'm alright, *cough * I can get back, on my own."
"Whatever" Duo said dismissively ~ I would tell him to stop complaining, but I wanna hear his voice, make sure he's awake. He'll be here soon anyway. ~ He jumped out of Deathscythe, through the helmet she could see the smile had gone. Hilde stood in the doorway of her Taurus Custom.
"What's goin' on?"
"You'd better stay up there, they're comin' in."
~ An' Wufei won't want you in his way ~
She made a face he hadn't answered her question.
"Quatre lost his air, that's all. So he's gonna need to be moved in fast."
~ Lost his air?! How? Basic space mines can't penetrate Gundanium!? ~

Wufei was practically carrying Sandrock, it made no move to go home on its own. This could be good, because Quatre had accepted that he had no choice, but I could be bad, in that he was no longer able to operate it, for reasons unknown. Either way, Wufei knew he must get the Winner family's heir back to the base for a medical. And when he got there, no-one had better get in his way, especially that woman. Trying to help him was no excuse, he could manage fine by himself, and Maxwell would be there anyway.

Trowa now fully understood the situation, thanks to the last, well, however long it had been, to sort out all the different jumbles of information he had, and was now completely aware of their predicament. They had some crazy robot person chasing around, trying to kill them. And, just in case that wasn't 'interesting' enough, it seemed that this android thing that had already injured Wufei, and possibly nearly killed him, it was also made from Gundanium, the strongest metal currently known to man.
The only upside was that they were well trained in combat, however combat with this thing, as Chang had proved, was practically impossible, even themselves as Gundam pilots hadn't the slimmest chance of beating it one on one, or even five on one. It was practically invincible, they couldn't fight it the usual way either, it was too small to attack with the Gundams, and they could hardly chase it round the base in them anyway. No, this was a problem which needed a more complicated solution. He would have to think about that. He sighed, and Charlie looked at him again.
"Maybe you patrolling the corridors isn't such a good idea."


~ Maybe Duo was right. ~ Quatre thought as he lay in the cockpit of Sandrock, holding his neck. Not that the others knew, but the impact of the mines on Sandrock had shaken him badly, and his neck ached from the wrenching movement of the explosion. Other than that and the lack of air, he was convinced there was nothing wrong with him. He lay back in his seat and waited to get out as they neared the compound. He coughed, and took a deep breath, so as to convince the others he could manage. Then activated the com-link to the others.
"I can land myself"
"Go ahead, bring him in slowly 04."
He swung it down and saw Duo standing on Deathscythe's foot. Hilde was nowhere to be seen. He sighed and coughed again as he brought himself in, and parked up in the bay, opposite Wing Zero.

Wufei landed beside Sandrock as the hatch closed. Both the Gundams opened, and they stood in the door way. Wufei had looked across, and seen that Quatre now seemed to be ok. He jumped out of Altron, and dropped to the floor. Looking across at Maxwell he watched him remove his helmet as the hatch was now closed.
Duo then looked up at Quatre.
"Are you comin' down or what?"
"Yes, just getting my breath." He replied as he leant on the side of the doorframe.
Wufei watched as Quatre went to jump off from the platform, and fell.