Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Intruder ❯ Heero's explanation.... ( Chapter 9 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Intruder - Part Nine
Heero's Explanation...


They all sat in Duo's room, waiting for Heero's explanation. Quatre sat in a big armchair, while Duo and Hilde were seated on the back of the couch. Trowa was perched, rather precariously, on the 'fixed' stool; Wufei was still by the door, leaning against the wall. Heero held their undivided attention, as he stood next to Duo's wide-screen TV. The image still on the screen was of the 'fake Duo' over which was imposed the Gundam Wing Zero. It was a good likeness, shape wise, the small head on big shoulders.
Heero moved to sit on the bed.
"Ok, you all know, the intruder who attacked both Trowa and Wufei - "
Wufei shifted against the wall, and frowned.
"- Was imprisoned in a closet near the systems control room..."
~ Corridor 5 ~ Duo recalled, ~ Where Trowa got wet. ~
"- Until late last night. "
'What happened?' Hilde whispered to Duo. He pushed her gently with his elbow
'Shush.'
"The temporary cell was demolished in an explosion, and no trace of the intruder was found, so we believed him to have been destroyed. However, this morning I found this." He held up the metal fragment he'd found in the bottom of the cupboard.
"What is that?" Quatre asked
"This is a piece of Gundanium alloy."
"Really?!" Hilde exclaimed. Duo nudged her again, motioning for her to be quiet.
Chang frowned ~ Women ~
"So it is possible that he, or it, was not destroyed in the explosion, as we had thought."
"So y' mean this, "intruder" guy could, and prob'ly is still wanderin' round out there?"
"Yes."
"And he's probably still after us?" Quatre asked anxiously.
"We must expect so."
"So who's his next target?" Hilde inquired. Duo prodded her with his elbow again, and she retaliated, almost knocking him off the sofa.
"It is not 'targeting' any of us in particular, simply the easiest target." Heero answered.
"That is why it went for me last time." Trowa announced. It was the first thing he'd said the whole time, and his voice was clear and calm, as ever.
"It was in the bay below the systems control, where Duo and Quatre were. However, they were sitting down, and when I came in, I stood next to the window, creating a bigger and altogether easier target." His announcement finished, he went back to looking at the floor.
"So who would he have gone for if Trowa hadn't walked in? Duo or Quatre?"
Duo thought about shoving her again, for asking such a blunt question when Quatre was clearly uncomfortable with the situation anyway, but changed his mind. He didn't want to completely fall off the settee the time. ~ Anyway, who am I tryin' t' kid? Quatre ain't the only "uncomfortable" one in here. I don't fancy endin' up as trash on the hallway floor. ~

Quatre had flinched at this last question, he didn't even want to think about it. But the same question kept coming back in his mind, Would he rather survive, if Duo was shot, and watch him die, or would he rather die himself? He tried to dismiss it, but it wouldn't leave. So he decided that the only way to make it go was to answer it.
~ Wufei may think me weak, and he may be right, but I'd rather it to be me that was shot, than have to watch Duo die in my arms. Does this make me selfish? But wouldn't he still suffer, from having to watch me leave him? ~
He shivered from these dark thoughts and looked back to the image on the screen.
~ Whoever is behind this, they will get what is coming... ~

Wufei frowned at Hilde again, but this time she noticed, and held his gaze. He took his hands out of his pockets, and folded them across his chest. She turned and looked away, not wanting to upset him further. She made a mental note to ask Duo something later. ~ As soon as we're out of here, anyway. ~

Trowa was wondering where the would be assassin was now. Whether or not he was likely to be inside the base. One thing was sure though, whichever way they preferred it, they must not be caught alone.


Heero looked at Duo's TV screen, and stared at the image shown there.
~ Not very scientific, but useful nonetheless. ~
He looked at the pilot responsible, and realized not for the first time, that behind the mischievous and somewhat childish exterior, that there was a clever mind behind the front, which was of course what it was, a front to put people off, a diversion from what was true. He had decided that Duo must have adopted the, well the 'Duo' attitude because of something in his past. He didn't know what, and that bothered him, but what ever it was, he was sure it would have broken most.

Duo was angry, although he didn't show it, a trick he must have learnt from Heero he thought. ~ This trespassing low down no good piece of garbage ~ his mind reeled in the insults and curses. He stopped, partly in surprise that he knew so many, but he'd had much experience, most of it at the receiving end. Also partly because Hilde had poked him in the ribs for the second time now, trying to get his attention. He watched her hand come close again, and held her wrist tightly.
'What?' he asked his voice a husky whisper.
'Can we go now, please?' her eyes pleaded with him, desperate to leave this place.
'Where to?'
'Anywhere but here.'
'But this is my room.'
'And? Everyone's here, being so serious.'
'It's a serious matter, babe.'
'Yeah, but-'
She looked at him sadly, begging with those puppy dog eyes.
'Okay, okay, where are we goin'?'
'Follow me...'
'Sure, I've done stupider things.'
She would have slapped him or something, but he was going with her, so she just glared defiantly.
'Just wait a minute...' He suggested.
Quatre had been thinking through the situation, being the main strategist among them, and although he wouldn't have called it a plan, it was a good start. Getting used to the idea of this, well he wasn't sure what to call it, before he would have said man, but now, he wasn't sure. ~...Robot?...Android?...Machine?...Assassin?...~
'So this trespasser considers himself above us, does he? That he can just walk in here and kill us all?' Trowa was thinking aloud
~...Trespasser?...~
"It is a disgrace that it thinks it can even attempt such a thing!" Wufei's temper snapped, this was just too much. To be beaten and bettered by a man was one thing, and for that man to then be destroyed so he could not reclaim his honor was another, but to lose to a machine in the guise of a man, was outrageous.
~...Disgrace?...It?...~
"To intrude upon my, our, personal territory is unforgivable." Wufei continued he turned and thumped the wall, almost putting a hole through it, and certainly leaving a large dent.
He blinked, regaining his awareness of his situation. Standing in someone else's room, shouting to a non-present foe. The others were all watching him, with the exception of Maxwell, who had his eyes to the ground. He instantly calmed, regaining his composure, and announced his departure, and quickly left.
~...Intrude?...Someone who intrudes, would be...Intruder. ~
"This Intruder must be destroyed." Quatre said, and walked out the door, pulling it behind him. Trowa stood up; "I agree." He said simply. And also turned to leave.
The door stood open. Heero took a last look at the screen, and turned to face them both. "I'll go now." He walked across the room and shut the door gently yet firmly behind him.
"Happy now?" Duo asked with a smile
"Maybe." She teased "So what we gonna do?"

Quatre was sitting staring into his coffee. He didn't drink it, couldn't stand the taste. But the smell helped him concentrate, clearing his confused mind.
~ This Intruder must be destroyed. ~ he thought, remembering the last words he had spoken. ~ When did I get so, aggressive? ~ Sighing heavily he took another deep breath, and held his head in his hands. ~ There must be something we've been overlooking. Something that is so obvious, too obvious to actually pay any notice to. ~
He almost jumped as he felt a hand on his shoulder, but prevented himself, just.
"Oh, Wufei, I didn't hear you come in." he paused waiting for an explanation. It didn't come. "I thought you'd be in Nataku."
"I would."
"So how come you're here? Not that there's a problem." He added hurriedly.
"I was coming in for some water before I leave."
"Leave?? Leave for where?"
"D13"
"Oh." He watched the so-called 'Solitary Dragon' pour himself a glass of water, and sip a small mouthful.
~ Solitary. Alone. None of us should be alone. Especially not now. ~
Chang downed the rest of the glass in one. Then placing the empty glass on the counter, he headed for the door.
"Wufei?"
He stopped to listen, but didn't turn around.
"Can I come?"
A curt nod was the only reply, and they both left for the Hangar bay, and then on to sector 'D13'.
~ Why 13? ~ The blonde wondered, as they went down the hall. It wasn't that he was superstitious, merely that it was a strange number to choose, out of all the other possibilities. He looked up. In front of him Wufei was keeping a fast walking pace as they made their way through the base.


Trowa had originally gone back to his room, but had found nothing of interest within. He couldn't talk to Quatre now, he didn't know what to say. So instead he decided to go to Katherine's room instead. Charlie needed exercise, and it would take his mind off of recent events. Well, that was the plan anyway...

Heero had loaded and saved the image of Wing Zero, imposed over the "Intruder" as Quatre had named him. ~ Or it. ~ he added silently.
He recalled some old search files, mainly on the Gundams, and some other little bits of 'useless' information. It read
'All of the original 5 project meteor Gundams are based in design on the Wing Zero blueprint, discovered by Instructor H.' ~ and Quatre. ~ He continued. 'The original design was deemed too powerful and destructive to be set loose on the Earth, so the following designs were employed, each designed by the respective engineer.
The "Gundam Wing", model # XXXG-01W variable mobile suit - Doctor J
The "Gundam Deathscythe", model # XXXG-01D mobile suit - Professor G
The "Gundam HeavyArms", model # XXXG-01H mobile suit - Doctor S
The "Gundam Sandrock", model # XXXG-01SR mobile suit - Instructor H
The "Shenlong Gundam", model # XXXG-01S mobile suit - Master O (and Long Clan).'
~ All based on Wing Zero? That means that there'd be at least 5 copies of the blueprints available. The original was probably kept by H, with four copies sent to J, G, S, and O.
I know for definite that J was successful in destroying his copy, and G did too. The Long Clan still has theirs, and S destroyed his also. That leaves H. The original copy. ~
'Searching for back up data on 'Gundam history'...Please Wait...'
He sat back and shut his eyes. ~ I won't read their past, only their Gundam's. ~


I hope you got Heero's explanation. If you didn't, mail me and I'll try to explain better, but you gotta ask me specific questions, otherwise you won't get what you wanted.
Special Thanks again to those of you who've already mailed me, you know who you are!