Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Kasai no Kou ❯ Meeting ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

~~~~~~~~~~~

| Kasai no Kou |

~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 2

By: Shanchan

All was silent except the gentle breeze rustling the leaves as the sky slowly darkened. Two soldiers stood on guard in front of the Federation base deep in the forests of China. One had black hair and dark brown eyes. He was a native of the area. The other, transferred from Europe, had blonde hair and green eyes. They stared into the open with their watchful eyes; waiting… waiting for the enemy that they knew would come. However, they saw stillness and heard only silence.

Suddenly, there was an explosion. The soldiers whipped their heads towards the sound just in time to see a dark mobile suit emerge from its hiding place within the foliage. It was pure black and shone in the moonlight. Two dragon fangs with installed flamethrowers shot out from the shoulders of the massive machine and snaked their way towards the two men standing guard. Frozen by their fear, the soldiers barely managed to let out a terrified scream before being melted by the heat of the weapons.

"This is for my master!" A feminine voice filled with vengeance and sorrow cried from within Spritefire as the flamethrowers set the entire base on fire, bringing the once serene area into complete chaos.

50 Leos type mobile suits rushed out of the hangars and tried to destroy the Gundam, but their efforts were fruitless. The girl within pulled out twin katanas (Japanese swords) from the back of the Gundam and said over the radio, "Hurry up and kill yourselves for you cannot defeat me!"

The Leos were furious. One pilot, apparently the leader, yelled back, "Who are you? And what was that supposed to mean?"

"My name is Serena Yui, the niece of the original Hiiro Yui!" She announced with much pride. Then, in a voice filled with scorn, she added, "What I'm saying is you are too weak to defeat me and it would be a waste of my time to fight you! Save me some trouble and just self destruct!"

The pilot sat, for a second, stunned by her arrogant words. How dare she talk to him like that? Who did she think she was? Smirking, he replied back, "Well, looks like you'll need to be patient because we will fight until the end!"

"Ok, if you want to fight, show me what you can do!" Serena taunted as Spritefire took a fighting stance.

The Leos charged into battle. Serena used her katanas to cut, slice, melt and pierce the other mobile suits. For 15 minutes they fought. Serena blended her martial art skills with her piloting skills and the Gundam flipped, leaped, spin-kicked and somersaulted in the air. The machine moved so fast, the Leos were unable to aim at her. Gradually, the movements got faster, and Serena found herself drowning in the beauty of her art. As she fought, she felt her anger slowly melting away, and by the time all the Leos were destroyed, her mind was no longer filled with sorrow. Sighing, she got out of her Gundam and sat amongst the destruction. The full moon shone brightly in the sky and the light reflected off the darkness off the Gundam. Everything seemed beautiful to the lonely girl as she sat there in her red Chinese style shirt and black pants, brushing her long black hair that flowed in the wind and admiring her work. She had a sash tied around her waist and wore black shoes of cloth. For a while, everything was peaceful.

Suddenly, the girl heard the sound of an engine. She smiled. They're coming, she thought to herself. She put up her brush and got out a black jade flute. It was one piece and very different from the western flute. Blowing gently, Serena started to play a piece her master taught her. Pouring her chi into her playing, the music sounded like waves pounding upon the sand and to those who had little chi, the music was almost fatal. As the engine sound grew louder, a white plane carrying a black Gundam came into view. Looking up from her playing, the girl's smile grew wider. They were the exact people she hoped for. The black Gundam - Deathscythe Hell was dropped and the white plane turned into another Gundam - Wing Zero.

"What happened?" a voice asked over the radio.

"Apparently someone has already destroyed this place, Duo," the other replied in an emotionless voice.

"That's obvious, Hiiro. But who would do such a thing?" Duo wondered out loud.

"The Mobile Suit over there!" Hiiro replied as he lifted Wing Zero's arm and pointed at Spritefire.

"Let's go check it out!" Duo said as he piloted Deathscythe Hell towards Serena's mobile suit.

Hiiro followed closely behind while saying, "Be careful. We don't know who that is. They could be the enemy!"

They got near Spritefire and got out of the cockpit. The first boy had brown hair and blue eyes and was wearing a black priest outfit. Duo waved and smiled when he saw it was only an Asian girl in Chinese style clothing and playing a jade flute.

"Konba-wa!" He greeted the girl.

Looking up, Serena saw a boy with extremely long hair in a massive braid. *His hair must be as long as mine!* She mused. Her eyes looked over the boy's features, he was handsome, but not who she was looking for. "Konba-wa," Serena said quietly as she got up and placed her flute into the cockpit of her Gundam.

Hiiro, his green tank top waving in the wind, stared at the girl's graceful figure for a moment. Suddenly, a surge of energy swept through him, as if trying to remind him something. He saw the image of a girl, with raven colored hair and eyes the exact color of his. He thought for a long time who the girl was, and suddenly remembered… the rainy day… the gunshot and his past. It rushed into his mind like a tidal wave crashing upon a beach. Leaping off his Gundam, he landed next to the girl as she was getting out of the cockpit to get a closer look.

Serena stepped back in alarm as she stared at Hiiro. Her eyes swept over his face and locked into his eyes. A look of pure joy spread through her face. This was the one she had searched for through so many years of her life; this boy was her brother. Trembling with fear and excitement, the raven haired girl whispered, "Ryo…"

Hiiro's face was filled with shock. It was the first time in many years he allowed his emotions to show, but this was too overwhelming. His sister… his identity… it all flooded into his mind with that one soft word, sweeping away his cold façade and leaving his emotions for others to see. Suddenly, he hugged Serena tightly, "Serena, I'm so glad to see you."

Serena blinked back her tears as she returned the hug, "I missed you too. I thought you had forgotten me."

"I almost did."

Duo looked at his friend, surprised. He had never seen Hiiro hug anyone like that before. Maybe there would still be hope for him. Leaping onto Spritefire, he asked, "Am I missing something here?"

Serena turned and smiled at him, "We'll explain later."

"We?"

"Yeah," Hiiro replied, "This is Serena. She's going to move in with us."

"What?!" Duo yelled in surprise. He must have missed something, but what?

"You are going to move in right?" Hiiro asked Serena.

"If I'm welcome," Serena told her brother.

"Good. And, my friends call me Hiiro," Hiiro told the girl smiling.

"I give up, what's going on?" Duo asked bewildered. Hiiro NEVER smiles… Ok, maybe once or twice, but he never smiled like THAT.

Serena laughed. She didn't remember the last time she did that… it's been so long… Her laughter rang out like bells, "It's a long story. Sit down, I'll explain it to you."

The three sat down and Serena said to Duo, "Ry… er… Hiiro and I are fraternal twins. Our father was the brother of the REAL Hiiro Yui." Then she proceeded to tell Duo about the assassination, Hiiro's kidnap, her martial arts master and how she got the Gundam. She also told about her odd dreams for they were her only clue to where Hiiro was. By the time she was finished, it was almost midnight.

"Well, looks like you found yourself a family Hiiro!" Duo congratulated his friend.

Hiiro simply nodded his head in response.

Duo smiled and said to Serena, "You better help me with him."

Serena shot the braided boy a quizzical look. "What do you mean?"

"I guess you don't know, do you?"

"Know what?"

"He showed more emotion when he saw you than I have seen for as long as I've met him."

"So? What's the big deal?"

"Usually he's as cold as stone, and I'm his best friend."

Serena looked at Hiiro, "Is that true? Do you never show you emotion?" Hiiro nodded his head. "Why?" Serena asked her brother.

"It's the way I've been brought up. I'm supposed to follow my emotions but never show them."

"Not a bad way to do things," the girl thought out loud.

"That's it?" Duo asked.

"What's it?"

"You're not going to try to make him more human? You're just going to allow him to be so cold all the time?"

"I don't see anything wrong with that."

"He never laughs unless it's maniacal laughter! It's unhealthy!"

"He seems healthy to me."

"I should've known! You two are so much alike! I bet you two could be identical brick walls in a crowd!" Duo said in exasperation.

Serena laughed. This American boy was funny in his own way, especially the way he yelled so much. "I don't know if I would make a good brick wall. I've never talked to anyone my age where I used to live. Remember, there were no families around the area, only my master and me… and most of the time we spent practicing the art."

"At least you're willing to talk!" Duo muttered. Why did this girl take everything so literally?

"Let's go. The others will be wondering how come we're taking so long," Hiiro told Duo as he turned to leap into his own Gundam.

"Wait!" Serena said. "What do you mean by others?"

"The other boys that live with us: Trowa Barton, Quatre Raberba Winner and Wufei Chang," Hiiro told his twin.

Serena blushed at the comment. It wasn't so bad sharing a place with her brother and another boy, but four others? She wasn't too sure. "Will I get my own room?"

"I think the attic is empty. You could live there until we need to relocate."

"Relocate?"

"Yeah, I think we need to go infiltrate a school next. We usually pose as students so you should have no problem finding a room," Hiiro told her.

"Ok, let's go. I'll just follow you."

With that the three got into their Gundams. Hiiro changed Wing Zero into a plane and carried Deathscythe Hell towards the forest. Serena transformed Spritefire and quickly followed.

* * *

There was a door that opened in the ground about 20 miles away and the three Gundams landed and walked inside. The three teenagers parked their mobile suites and leaped out of the cockpit and walked outside. Soon, a small house came into view. It had two floors and an attic. There was a small garden around it filled with Chinese herbs and other plants.

"Here we are!" Duo announced in his eternally cheerful voice as the threesome approached the house and entered.

It was warm and cozy inside. A small blonde boy with aqua eyes wearing a pink shirt with purple vest and dark slacks was sitting on the floor playing a game of chess with a European boy in a green turtleneck and blue jeans. The European had dark brown hair and very long bangs. His bangs covered up much of his face and hid one of his eyes. The other eye, Serena noted, was an amazing emerald color. On the couch, watching them with cold obsidian eyes was a Chinese boy wearing white Chinese style clothing and reading a book on meditation.

"Quatre! Trowa! Wu-man! I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of our team! Serena!" Duo announced as he bounced in.

The three boys looked up from what they were doing. The blonde one stood up and walked over to where Serena stood, quickly followed by the boy with emerald eyes. Reaching out his hand, the smaller boy said, "Nice to meet you. My name is Quatre Raberba Winner. And this…" Quatre pointed to the brunette. "… Is Trowa."

Serena shook Quatre's hand and nodded her head slowly. Her eyes scanned over the two boys, focusing on every detail on their body. Then, she walked over to the Chinese boy and bowed. "I am Serena Yui, Hiiro's sister," she introduced herself.

"The name is Wufei. I would recommend you to not interfere with our work." The Chinese boy looked up from his book and replied coldly.

Serena shot Duo a questioning look. Her eyes begged him to give her a hint on what to do.

Duo laughed and said, "Serena, don't worry about it! Wufei's been like that since we've known him. He's still mourning the death of his wife, so you'll have to live with it. After a while, he'll warm up to ya!"

Serena nodded as she looked at Wufei, who was giving Duo a cold glare. He then stood up and walked upstairs, footsteps followed by Duo's amused laugher. Serena looked at the other boys. Quatre was smiling, giving his face a peaceful look while there was no emotion present on Trowa and Hiiro's faces.

* * *

The next morning, Serena got up bright and early. She took out her sword and walked outside. There, she started to practice her art. Her sword waved and her figure seemed to dance in the gentle sunlight of dawn. She did a kata and sat down to meditate and wait for her chi to flow more smoothly. Suddenly, she heard a sound. Turning around, she saw Wufei, sporting a white tank top and black pants standing a few yards away, staring at her. His eyes seemed filled with grief. Feeling the girl's eyes upon him, Wufei blushed and looked down.

Sighing, Serena picked up her sword and walked over to Wufei. "Would you like to talk?" She offered.

"No thank you," the boy answered sharply. Then, as if stunned by his voice's harshness, he added, "But I'd like to spar with you to test your skill."

"That sounds pretty fun. Are you sure you're up to the challenge?" Serena asked, almost teasingly.

"It won't be too hard with an onna (woman) like you," Wufei said as he took out his saber. "Considering you have a sword, I will use my saber." He announced as he took a fighting stance.

Serena back up a few steps. "As you wish," she said bowing. Then, she held her sword up to her face. "You can begin."

Wufei bowed, leaped up into the air and did a summersault. He began to fall when he was above Serena, his saber aiming for the girl's head. Serena stepped to the side and pulled her titanium sword out of its sheath.

"Good try, but not good enough!" She laughed as her sword pointed towards the tip of Wufei's saber.

"I may be weak, but I'm not that weak!" Wufei replied as he quickly hit his saber against Serena's sword and pushed himself sideways, away from the sword's range.

"Good! Now, try this!" Serena yelled as she charged at Wufei who leaped into the air again. Serena suddenly stopped and dropped into a spin-kick with her sword pointed toward Wufei's chest. Wufei tried to deflect the sword with his saber but it was knocked out of his hand by her immense power. Startled, the boy forgot to avoid the girl's leg and tripped.

Serena stood up and pointed her the tip of her sword at Wufei's neck. "I win," she said quietly. "You need to work on your chi more. It's essential in battle." Then, in one swift movement, she stuck her sword into its sheath and walked towards the cottage.

Stepping into the house, she saw the others were up already. The four boys were talking and their faces were stern.

"What's going on?" Serena asked.

"We have another mission…" Hiiro began quietly.

"So? What's the problem?"

"There are 2,000 Leos we need to destroy along with the base," he continued.

"I see. Let's get Wufei and head for the base," Serena replied optimistically.

"However, we are low on firepower and Wufei's Gundam, Altron, needs repairs," Hiiro told her.

"Can't we wait until it's fixed?"

"Not enough time."

"Well, let's just go and get it over with. I'm sure everything will be OK."

"Alright. Let's go. 400 Leo's apiece isn't too bad. We've done worse, ne (right?)?" Duo cut in, his voice less optimistic than his words.

Hiiro nodded as he quickly typed a note to Wufei and walked outside, followed by the others.

* * *

"We're too out numbered! RETREAT!" Hiiro's voice rang out over the radio. Smoke covered the sky, and the flames gave everything a red and orange hue. The five teens had been fighting for over 3 hours. They had destroyed only 25% of the enemy.

"Roger!" The others replied as five Gundams slowly began to back into the forest. The enemy Leo's surrounded the group of five.

"You guys go on ahead! I should be able to handle most of them!" Serena told her brother and his friends over the radio. They were out numbered and the only way any of them could escape was if one of them stayed behind to buy some time for the others.

"I'm not going to leave you behind," Hiiro said firmly.

"Right! We're a team! We'll stick together until the end," Quatre added in.

"Listen to me! If we all stay, we'll be destroyed! I'm not going to let that happen! Hiiro remember our parents! At least one of us needs to survive to continue this battle!" Serena yelled almost in tears.

Hiiro was silent. He didn't want to loose her so soon… yet what else could he do? Finally, he made a decision, "You can stay, but be careful. I almost lost you once. I'm not going to loose my only family again."

"Alright. I'll try to stay alive, but I make no guarantees." Serena laughed. She had to laugh at a time like this. Either laugh or cry. Those were her only choices. She chose to laugh.

Hiiro, Duo, Quatre and Trowa slowly made their way towards the edge of the Federation base as Serena held up the remaining Leos with her katanas and flamethrowers. Sweat dripped from her forehead and her hands hurt from gripping the controls so hard. She felt herself growing weak but pushed her mind and body further. She couldn't give in. Not when the others were still in danger of being captured. The four Gundams slowly moved into the forest and disappeared. Serena watched them leave and counted the minutes. 1 minute passed… 2 minutes… 3 minutes… The sea of enemy mobile suits seemed endless… Slowly, Serena felt her energy being drained. She tried to destroy a few more enemies, but it was so hard. She could barely move. She could feel her heart beating in her chest and she heard her breath getting heavier and heavier… suddenly, her world went black… and she felt herself being engulfed by the darkness….