Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Lean On Me ❯ Overload ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Authors Note: This is a filler chapter, so it won't be hardly as long as the others, but it's still eventful.

Disclaimer: Don't own GW

Chapter Eighteen

"Leave her alone!"

With a sudden surge of adrenaline, Vienna leapt from the chair she sat in and lunged at Katana. Katana turned around sharply before being shoved to the ground, slamming her head against the floor. Vienna punched her in the face before staggering to her feet again. The M.C.D. was set up beside her, and she threw her entire body into it, sending it crashing to the floor.

"No!" Katana swung out with her leg and brought Vienna down beside her. She got up onto her knees and glared at the Chinese girl. "You ruined everything!" She threw a punch at her face, but Vienna moved her head out of the way just in time and Katana's fist hit the floor. With a screech of pain, Katana got to her feet and kicked Vienna in the side. "So much depended on that, and you just ruined it all!"

"Good riddance," Vienna grumbled through clenched teeth.

Katana grabbed Vienna by the collar of her trench coat and slammed her into the nearest wall. She let go of her collar and Vienna slid to the floor. She aimed another kick before turning back around and noticing Daryn standing off to the side, smiling. "You were standing there the entire time, and you didn't even bother to help!"

Daryn stared at her with an icy gaze. "Personally, I was rooting for Vienna." He knew she could very well kill him then and there if she wanted to, but something told him she wouldn't. He strode over to the mind control device lying on the floor. He bent down and picked it up, setting it back in its place. "It isn't broken," he stated. "Get Jack to fix some minor details and maybe some of the wiring, and it should work. But, if you're wondering, the connection with Riley was cut off."

Katana seethed inwardly, but she fought to keep control. She dug her fingernails into the palms of her hands and headed for the door. "Take Vienna back to her prison cell, make sure a guard is on duty, and have someone report to me the second she wakes up."

------

Riley lay on the floor panting, her breath coming in short gasps. She knew what had happened, and the thought scared her. Why did they bother now?

"Come on, get her while she's weak!" she heard the ringleader shout at his two men.

Her eye's widened. She knew that voice! It belonged to only one person she knew of. She looked up sharply in time to see the two men dive at her. She rolled out of the way, slamming into the footboard of her bed. She climbed to her feet, using the bedposts for support, and spun herself around to the side of the bed where her bedside table was. She pulled its drawer open and removed one of her daggers from within. She spun back around, taking in the position of every person in the room. The odds were definitely against her. I'm going to need a miracle to get out of this one, she thought.

Just then, the sound of car doors slamming shut outside met their ears. The leader glanced sharply at Riley. "Get her."

She swiped at the first man that came at her. He howled in pain as blood began falling from a long and deep gash left in his right arm. The second swung at her with his fist, but she blocked it weakly, using her knife like it was a sword. Before the two readied to charge her again, she glimpsed a helicopter out the balcony doors, coming their way. She smiled, thinking she was saved.

Caught off guard, one of the men rammed into her from the side, and she was shoved onto the bed. She groaned, and forced herself to sit up.

"Agent Rawthorne, come on!" someone shouted from the helicopter, leaning out of an open door. Riley's hope fell. The helicopter hadn't come to help her. "We have explicit instructions to bring you back immediately."

"Give me one minute," Rawthorne shouted back, his determined eyes focused on Riley. She glared at him.

"No, you are to get out, now."

Suddenly, a volley of gunshots came at the helicopter. The helicopter didn't waver; the bullets seemed to be bouncing off it. Rawthorne looked back at the door as he heard pounding footsteps running up the main staircase toward them. He cast one last, hateful glance at Riley before furiously motioning for his men to get into the helicopter. Neither of them moved at first, but when Rawthorne shouted angrily at them, the scrambled for the balcony, ducking as bullets grazed their heads and arms. Gathering up all the strength she had left, she lunged off of the bed, rolled as she hit the floor, and tried to pull Solo away from Rawthorne.

Rawthorne grasp on Solo slipped, but Rawthorne was stronger than she, and easily pulled him back and out onto the balcony. He pulled a gun out from a holster around his waist and pointed it at Solo's head. Riley hissed through her bared teeth. He was using Solo as a shield. She knew that at least two of the pilots were down there, and that they wouldn't shoot if there were a possibility of harming Solo. Again, she used the bedpost to get to her feet, but only managed to go two steps away from the bed. If she walked another step, she would for sure crumble to the floor.

Solo looked over at her, terror evident on his face. All she could do was watch helplessly as Rawthorne got into the helicopter, pulling Solo in with him, and then stare after the helicopter as it flew away.

Faintly, she could hear three people running into the room, but the world around was going fuzzy and she felt as if she was spinning. She dropped to the floor in heap, the sound of someone calling her name slowly fading away.

Trowa rushed over as his sister crumbled to the ground, WuFei and Quatre at his heels; he lifted her easily up onto the rumpled bed. Quatre glanced at her grimly before heading for the door. "I'm going to find a first aid kit, and then call a doctor."

WuFei looked around the room with a critical eye, a frown on his face. He noted the blood spatters on the carpet, the broken balcony doors, and that there was an indent in the wall just behind the door, where the doorknob would have hit. "Well, the three men that were here obviously weren't expecting anyone, especially Riley, to be in the mansion."

Trowa looked over at him. "Why do you say that?"

WuFei showed him the indent in the wall. "Riley must have heard noises coming from in here as she walked down the hallway, and when she entered, she must have slammed the door open, otherwise the doorknob wouldn't have made such a noticeable dent in the wall."

Just then, Heero and Duo ran in, almost knocking WuFei to the ground. "Is she okay?" Duo managed to gasp out, breathing heavily.

"She's out cold, but mainly from weariness," Trowa said. "She has a lot of cuts and bruises."

Heero's gaze darkened. "Those were World Rebellion soldiers," he said, "but then why did they take Solo, but leave Riley behind? That doesn't click."

Quatre came back into the room, a first aid kit in hand. He tossed it over to Trowa. "A doctor will be here in a few minutes," he said.

WuFei walked over to Riley and stared down at her still form; the only hint that she was alive was the rise and fall of her chest. He transferred his gaze over to Trowa. "You say the main cause she blacked out was from weariness?"

Trowa nodded, looking at WuFei blankly. He watched as WuFei's mouth twitched.

"Why is that of any significance?" Duo asked.

"It has a great deal if significance," he muttered. "Is there any smelling salts in that first aid kit?" he asked Trowa.

Trowa shifted through the kits contents before holding up a small vial of it. He passed it to WuFei. "Why do you need to wake her?"

"I need to see something," he said, twisting off the cap. He then held it under her nose and moved it back and forth. Riley grunted and her fingers moved. "Riley, open you eyes."

She did, but only for a second before falling asleep again -a second was all WuFei had needed. He had seen the colour of her eyes, and that, in itself, explained everything.