Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Liberation ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Liberation Part 2

Author: Sorceress Fantasia

Pairings: H+2, 3x4, and eventual 1+2

Warnings: AU, OC, some OOC-ness

Archives: Lev's Lair

Fanfiction.net

MediaMiner

Disclaimers: That day I went to the store counter in wherever Santa shops and asked for the GW boys. But when the clerk came back after searching their stocks, she told me that the GW boys had already been bought up. So, sadly, I do not own any of the GW boys or the anime. I do, however, own Vespera.

"I'm home!" Duo marched in the house and slammed the door behind him. It creaked loudly in protest, and looked as if it were ready to fall apart, judging from the way it was already hanging on its hinges desperately. Duo cringed and made a face. 'Mental note to self. Never slam this particular door again or I'll have to spend the better part of a day fixing it.'

"Hi, Duo," Quatre returned the greeting, turning to look at the braided boy from the sofa. "So, how's your day? Did you have fun with Hirde?"

Trowa sat silently beside the blonde boy, his one emerald eye carefully scrutinizing Duo. In acknowledgement to Duo, he gave a nod.

Winking playfully, Duo grinned, "But of course! Duo Maxwell always has fun!"

"I can just imagine you terrorizing the stallholders there. You're probably blacklisted by now," a new voice quipped dryly. Wufei ambled into the living room with a bottle of water, and tossed it to Duo, who caught it effortlessly.

"Thanks, Wu-chan!" He ignored the vehement protest from the Chinese pilot, and instead, opened the bottle and gobbled its contents. Finishing the water in a few gulps, he sighed comfortably, and threw the now empty bottle back to Wufei. "Terrorize them? Who me?" He batted his puppy eyes.

Wufei looked unconvinced. Quatre just chuckled.

Duo stretched his arms. "Well, it's been a long day. If you'd excuse me…" Picking up his toy, he retreated to his room.

As he walked along the corridor, a door at his side suddenly creaked open. Heero walked out from the dark room, lit up only by the luminous light from his laptop.

"Oei Heero, dating your laptop again?" the American boy teased cheekily. "Ya gotta get a new hobby!"

Heero snorted and tried to brush pass the braided baka. "My laptop does not have mood swings."

Duo blinked. Heero Yuy? Joking? But then he smiled. "Maybe, but it doesn't talk either. Humans are social animals. We need interaction!"

"You talk enough for the both of us."

Duo chuckled. "That's because you don't. Anyway…" He shrugged. "I'm going to bed now." With that, he walked pass the Japanese pilot and into the warmth of his room.

Heero stole a glance at Duo's closed door, wondering what was bothering the baka. He acted strangely, and he didn't blabber on like he usually does. Something was definitely out of place.

*****

Exhaustedly, Duo tossed his newly acquired toy onto the ground and trudged over to the comforts of his bed, plopping headfirst into the pillow. Kicking his shoes off, he groaned at the memory of his conversation with Hirde earlier on.

'I love you, Duo.'

'She loves me? She actually loves me? I can't believe it.' He flipped over and laid his head on his hands. Staring into the grey ceiling, he wondered why and how did it happen. He had no answer, and the impeccable ceiling seemed to be mocking him. Sighing again for what seemed to be the umpteenth time in an hour, he screamed mentally.

"Surprised at the way things are now?"

Duo sat up tiredly, glaring at the figure sitting on the bedpost at the end of the bed. "I wish you wouldn't just barge into my room like this, Ves."

"And why not?"

"Ever heard of privacy?"

She rolled her eyes. "Do you know how ironic this is coming from you, the guy who read my diary?"

"Yeah well… I…" A flush was creeping up Duo's cheeks. "Anyway, what makes you come here?" he laughed sheepishly.

Vespera ignored the sudden change of topic, much to his relief. She shrugged, descending to sit on the wooden frame. "Are you seriously asking me that? I thought it's pretty obvious."

"No, it's not. I hate the way you girls think. Guys are not meant to understand your inner logic."

"Oh yeah? Well, I guess some guys are just not clever enough to," she countered, crossing her legs. Then, with a look that spelt of disbelief, she asked, "Are you really that oblivious to not know of Hirde's feelings for you?"

Duo raised an eyebrow. "Hey! You followed me, didn't you?"

Vespera looked ready to moan in agony, and she did. "Oh please! Don't think so little of me, would you? I was just passing by, looking for you! Besides, I've been observing you for the past decade. What makes you think I don't know her feelings? I've seen the way she acts around you and the way her eyes would light up when you appear. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see it."

"Oh." He blinked, as though suddenly remembering. Then he nodded. "I… I never thought that she would like me more than just a friend. It just… never crossed my mind," Duo wavered, face caught in a frown, "I don't get it. Just what does she see in me? I've killed, destroyed people's lives, stole, robbed… Generally speaking, I've done nearly all the things people condemn and maybe even more."

"Sure, you've done all that. But you've saved more than you've killed, given more than you've stolen." She noted casually. "Furthermore, who's to judge you? What comparison is there? With the Bible? You don't believe in it, so what condemnation is there?"

"You're right. But Hirde does, remember? Nearly, if not all, humans believe in it. Even the gundam pilots. They may not say it, may not believe in the same God, but their God is one entity."

"Hey, Hirde was a pilot herself. She understands what it means to fight, to kill and to survive. Perhaps that's why you're able to get along with her. It's not like that with Relena, is it? And well, that's not the point. The point is, Hirde likes you. And more importantly, what are you going to do about it?"

"Honestly, if I had the slightest bit of idea about that one, I wouldn't be here bemoaning my life, now would I?" He fixed her with a stare that seemed to suggest that his predicament was as obvious as it could get.

"I can see that," she replied wryly. "But… now what? You have to do something."

"I don't wanna hurt her. I think I'll… try to work out something with her."

The chestnut-haired girl frowned. "Think through it carefully. Don't make brash decisions just because of the deadline. Or else, it's going to be painful for the both of you."

"I know."

Silence reigned. Vespera looked on somewhat helplessly. She fathomed what was bothering him so much, yet had no way to make his choice any easier. Sighing, she decided it was high time she changed the subject. Looking around the room that faintly resembled a hurricane's path, her eyes lit up when they fell on a plushy.

"Hey! That's so cute!" She extended her hands towards the soft toy, and snapped her fingers. The toy hovered in midair, and gradually towards her like a baby learning how to walk. Or rather in this case, how to float. When it was within her reach, she grabbed it and pulled it into her arms. Giggling, she poked at their wings and bodies.

"I finally see you loosening up," Duo grinned. "You've been acting overly mature that I was worried for a moment that you had forgotten how to be a teenager."

"Oh please." She made a face at the flippant comment, and added, "Firstly, I do *not* act mature. Secondly, I am enjoying teenage-hood in *my* own way."

"Oh yeah? I'm willing to bet that anyone out there will think that I'm younger than you, based on the way we act."

"Give me a break…" She rolled her eyes, which suddenly took on a playful sparkle. And then she said, "…Eden," letting the word roll off her tongue like a joke.

"For goodness sake… Delete that name in your phone book or whatever that is, and change it to Duo Maxwell."

"Hate that name?"

"Obviously!" he snorted understatedly. "Give a reason why I should like that name, and I'll give you a swing of my scythe. I mean… Jeez! Can you imagine *me* being called Eden? It's so… so…" He scratched the back of his head, hands going in circles in a desperate gesture.

"Paradoxical?"

"Yes! It sounds so corny too..." he sulked, but his menace was weakened by his jaw-splitting yawn.

Vespera looked on disinterestedly. She had already lost count of the number of times he protested to his name. Shrugging, she turned her attention back to the toy in her arms. "This toy… it's so cute. They look as though they're in love. But an angel and demon, falling in love? Now that's what I call story worthy! But then again, I guess love is blind. Right?"

She looked up, and pouted when she saw Duo snoring away softly. Even after all the years, some things would never change. Vespera sighed, shaking her head. With a wave of her hand, Duo's blanket, which was at the foot of his bed, unfolded and flew up, gently settling on the now sleeping boy. His cap flew off and landed on the nightstand.

Lazily, Duo turned over to the other side and snuggled against his pillow. The moonlight seeping into the room highlighted his beautiful and distinctive features. His long, soft braid snaked along the contours of his body. Soundlessly, she landed on the ground and walked over to Duo, sitting at the side of the bed. 'Feels like only yesterday. Time truly flies,' she mused, carefully brushing his jagged bangs out of his eyes. 'It's times like this when I regret our decision back then. You've suffered so much. Too much, in fact. But then again, I supposed we would have made the same decision if we were given that chance a hundred times over. We're both too strong-spirited to be tied down like that.'

Gently, she grabbed hold of the end of Duo's braid and pulled the elastic band that held the rope of hair together off. Skillfully, she undid the braid as though she had done so a hundred thousand times before. It was just one of those things she always helped him do when they had lived together, all those years ago. Thinking back on how it was, Vespera felt a stinging sensation in her eyes. Softly, she allowed a hug and she held him in her arms, contented. She had missed him terribly.

Seconds passed like hours, and Vespera found herself lost in a warmth and satisfaction she had long since forgotten. It was intoxicating as she held onto the bare whiff of calla lilies [1] she had always associated with Duo. She could almost pretend that he had never left. All of a sudden, she heard a faint ringing of footsteps outside. Someone was heading this way. Softly, but not enough. She narrowed her eyes, and quickly stepped back to fade into the shadows.

Soon, the normally squeaky wooden door opened, the creaking scarcely audible. A dark silhouette slipped in, the door closely just as quietly behind. Although quiet, the cobalt blue eyes shining in the darkness were a dead giveaway.

'Heero Yuy? What's he doing here?' Vespera frowned. Remembering the coldness he had displayed towards Duo and his icy demeanor, she quickly made a mental note to tick him off her potential suitor list.

Oblivious to her presence, Heero crossed the room gingerly, avoiding the piles of various objects strewn haphazardly on the ground. He would have been quite successful, if he had noticed the tee shirt. Thanks to the slippery floor tiles, he nearly skidded across when his foot got caught in the dark-coloured clothing. However, he regained his balance with a firm grip on the strategically placed chair nearby. Sighing in relieve, he shot a glance at the sleeping boy.

Duo groaned, and for a moment, Heero thought he had been discovered. Luckily, he merely yawned, and turned over to lie on his back.

After he was certain that Duo wasn't about to wake up any time soon, the Japanese boy continued his 'trek', and finally got to Duo's bedside. He gazed down at his friend, eyes spelling a hint of warmth and not of indifference. Heero looked on for a long moment, eyebrows creased. Under the moonlight, he seemed years younger. Hesitatingly, Heero reached out. But as soon as the tips of his fingers touched Duo's face, he pulled back as though he had been stung. Duo continued to sleep on, and Heero calmed down. He was a moth, drawn to the fire that was Duo. Slowly, uncertainly, he reached out once more. This time, his fingers run down the smooth expanse of the American boy's face. It could have been his imagination, but he thought he heard Duo purr. Duo's sensual voice spurred him on, and he moved to cup his cheek. He was rather surprised though, when Duo leaned into the warmth of his own accord. However, that astonishment did nothing to stop him from enjoying the softness. The faintest trace of a smile tugged at his lips, and Heero stroked the cheek with his thumb.

Vespera looked on, eyeing Heero like he was an endangered species. This was Heero Yuy? The guy she had crossed out of her potential suitor list just a while ago? This guy? Scratch that mental note.

Heero caressed Duo's face, unaware of the jumble going through the girl's mind with this simple action. But he knew the jumble going through in his own mind. Ever since meeting Duo all those months ago, he found new emotions welling out of a place whose existence he had always denied. His heart.

Duo was… different. Others would have whimpered while in peril, would have crumpled at the demise of their loved ones, would have given up hope in the face of death, would have prayed to all gods, any god, just for salvation of their own souls… But he didn't. He laughed in the face of danger, and found himself a way to safety. He cried in the wake of his beloved' deaths, and grew stronger. He danced around with death, yet always stayed alive to see the world in a different light. He abandoned all faith in his god, and believed only in himself and death.

Yet he wasn't perfect. He got depressed when things got too rough, got lonely when everyone were too busy to care, cried when nightmares of his memories haunted him, shivered when the winter winds blew across the land, fell prey to common diseases like flu...

He was human.

Duo was just… Duo.

And there was no other like him.

Heero grabbed a fistful of the long chestnut locks and held them to his face. He closed his eyes when the fragrance of lavender assaulted his nostrils, and sighed.

Vespera's jaws fell open. Oh, that mental note was *so* far away.

The Japanese pilot smiled, much opposed to the gaping girl, as his line of vision settled on Duo again. It was intoxicating, like ambrosia. He frowned, stopping that train of thought. Duo wasn't ambrosia. He was opium. So addictive. Heero couldn't decide when did it begin, but it was a fact that he liked observing his braided companion. Whether when said boy was singing off tone in the hangar while fixing Deathscythe, or watching television while chomping on Mars chocolate bars, or when he bit the end of his pencil as he did his homework, eyebrows creased together and lips seemingly pouting… It was amazing how Duo made everything he did seem so… attractive when it looked normal for everybody else.

At first, he had been opposed to the idea of watching Duo. Or to be exact, the soldier in him. The soldier had reminded him time and time again that it wasn't a good idea to form emotional ties in the middle of a war. It was dangerous; Duo could be used against him! However, the soldier was exceedingly easy to silent with images of Duo. Even *he* had to admit it. Duo looked fabulous.

And it was the soldier that led the little excursion tonight, to Duo's bedroom. Although Heero had watched the American boy for ages now, it was the first time he had actually snuck into his bedside to catch a glimpse of his sleeping form.

Nothing would stop him now.

Hand still cupping Duo's cheek, he leaned forward. Carefully, slowly, he leaned closer and closer. He could hear the adrenaline rushing through in his ears, the throbbing of his heart… could feel the warmth radiating from the core of his soul… and the warmth of Duo's body. For a moment, all time stopped and their lips nearly met.

If Vespera's eyes were wide before, they were definitely round. Oh yeah, that mental note was definitely chucked into the a space shuttle headed out of the solar system by now.

Duo groaned.

Heero's eyes flew open, and he sat up. Drawing a sharp breath, he looked away. Anywhere but Duo's face. All of a sudden, his confidence seemed to have left him and he quickly stood up. Duo moaned at the loss of warmth.

The Japanese boy sighed. It had taken him ages to pluck up the courage to even enter the room. Now, he would need a longer time before he would finally dare to see Duo like this again. Shaking his head as though in disappointment, he left.

As soon as the door click shut, Vespera stepped out of the shadows where she had previously hidden. Her steps were a little shaky, and she quickly latched onto the wooden bed frame. The first thing out of her mouth was, "Oh my god." She stole a look at Duo, and vaguely wondered if he knew Heero had such a soft spot for him. She just laughed nervously, knowing how dense he could be when it came to his love life.

Shaking her head, she decided that it was time to leave. She had already seen too much tonight. And she had someone to visit.

As she turned to leave, she suddenly remembered something. Standing beside Duo's prone form, she held out her hand. A speck of light appeared above her hand, and it glided to outline a small pouch, much like those used by merchants back in the olden times to hold their gold coins. It materialized and landed softly on her palm. The string tying the pouch up loosened and fell away into nothingness, and Vespera dug out a handful of contents. The golden dust glittered like the stars adorning the night skies. Holding the palm to her lips, she blew on the dust gently. It was like a faint gust of wind, and the shimmering wind blew onto Duo. The stardust rained down, and spread evenly. They shone for a moment more, then faded into nothing.

With a wave of her hand, the pouch disappeared.

'Sweet dreams, Duo,' she smiled, and walked towards the window, where she had entered earlier on. Her figure faded with every step she took, until she disappeared completely, and the window creaked shut.

[1]: If I'm not wrong, calla lilies represent death.