Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Life ❯ Life ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Life
 
“Ha!” Duo crowed triumphantly, wiping the sweat that threatened to trickle into his eyes away with an impatient hand. Wu Fei looked at him uninterestedly, black eyes unreadable.
 
“What, Maxwell?” he asked, flat tone suggesting that he'd rather not have asked. Duo didn't seem to notice, though, and responded cheerily with a, “Finally got the damned circuit in place! Was cutting power to the main-“ Wu Fei tuned him out expertly, turning to inspect his own repairs.
 
Nataku stared at him, blatantly accusing. Wu Fei felt his insides wriggle a bit nervously, but let none of his uncertainty show on his face. He was, after all, a hard-as-nails Gundam Pilot, and he didn't need to be feeling these emotions. A surreptitious glance at Maxwell showed that he was well engrossed in tweaking the circuit a little more, and completely unaware of his surroundings at all. Well, maybe not COMPLETELY unaware…
 
“Chang.” One word, spoken so flatly, was his only warning that someone was behind him. With a swift spin and a flick of his wrist Wu Fei was back in a fighting crouch, sword pointed at the intruder who stared him down with clear green eyes.
 
“Barton,” Wu Fei acknowledged, putting his sword away in the sheath that hung against his back. Trowa nodded once in understanding of the reflex before getting to the point.
 
“Shenlong is functional, is it not?” Trowa asked, staring up at the huge machine. Wu Fei bristled. “More than functional, Barton,” he said stiffly, drawing attention from both Trowa and Duo, who appeared to have finished what he was doing. Trowa finally nodded.
 
“It has been decided that our forces shall be split,” he murmured into the silence, sparking a startled look from Duo and a small nod from Wu Fei. “Sandrock and Heavyarms will accompany Wing to a small base to the west of here. Shenlong and Deathscythe will stay behind.”
 
“What?!” Wu Fei and Duo exclaimed together, moving as one towards the third pilot. Trowa moved back a little to stay out of reach in case one or both of them should try and attack him.
 
“I did not decide any of this, so don't bother with me. Be happy you have some time alone,” he said quietly, turning on his heel and leaving the hanger. Duo and Wu Fei exchanged anguished looks. Alone? With him? Wu Fei almost groaned out loud, but decided it wasn't worthy of him. Maxwell was an excellent pilot, after all. He just had a few habits that were…annoying.
 
“Well, I guess that's it, `Fei!” Like that, Wu Fei decided, having once more had the mangled remains of his name thrown at him. Duo seemed unconcerned, instead striding over to him and slinging an arm around his shoulders. The Chinese pilot repressed the urge to shudder.
 
“Maxwell, if you don't let go of me right now -“ Duo pressed a finger to Wu Fei's lips and continued in a mocking voice “ - you'll castrate me. I know, I know, but you could stand to be a little more inventive, Fei-Fei.” Wu Fei growled and attempted to push the braided menace away, but Duo just draped himself on Wu Fei like a cape. A lithe, talkative cape.
 
“Well, think about it! You use the same threat day after day, month after month…I swear, I should buy a parrot and train it to threaten me, it'd be almost the same thing…” Wu Fei finally cast Duo off.
 
“It would not, Maxwell! But, if you'd prefer it so, I suppose I could actually carry out the threat. Then maybe you'd heed me somewhat!” Duo's eyes glinted at the sudden change in Wu Fei's voice as he watched the Chinese teenager, hoping for a bit of entertainment.
 
“Well, Wufee, since it's just you and me tonight…” Duo wheedled as Wu Fei spluttered, “…maybe we could go out to the village for a bit? No-one's gonna know who we are,” he added as Wu Fei's face got redder, “ but I'm kinda bored.” Wu Fei shook his head in irritation.
 
“No, we can't go out! We need to be here in case of an urgent transmission!” he burst out. Duo tutted at him, waving a hand.
 
“Relax, man! It'll be fine! I mean, three pilots out of five is the majority, right? I'm sure they'll be okay by themselves. And I think it'll do you a world of difference to just chill for a while…” Humming to himself, Duo strode out of the hanger as if he hadn't a care in the world. Wu Fei stared after him in something close to amazement.
 
“How can he be so…unaffected?” he whispered to the empty chamber. Nataku seemed to glare at him when he looked at her, and he winced slightly. Maybe he DID need to relax…
 
Evening came without many problems. The other pilots had departed earlier that afternoon, with a stern message from Heero to `stay put'. Duo had pouted a little at that, and scuffed at the ground with his boot, but when all of them had left Duo had bounded up to Wu Fei and informed him that they'd be leaving at 7.30pm and that he'd `better not be late'. With that command still ringing in his ears Wu Fei had dutifully got ready, and was waiting on the porch for Duo by the set time.
 
“Wow, you're ready,” came Duo's voice from behind him. He didn't look up as its owner continued, “I'm very impressed. You look good, too.” This time the tone was frankly admiring. Wu Fei allowed a smug smile to grace his face at that.
 
He was wearing a Chinese style tunic that hit him just above the knees, in a vibrant red that accented the tan of his skin. Slits up the sides showed the black pants he wore underneath and allowed the wearer to move freely. With his hair back in its usual severe ponytail, Wu Fei knew that he looked striking. Not that he was trying to impress anyone, mind you…
 
Duo moved around in front of him, assessing the outfit. Wu Fei took the opportunity to examine the other teenager's clothes, just to be doing something that didn't make him seem inconsiderate of the attention Duo was bestowing upon him.
 
Wu Fei almost whistled at the outfit. Not clothes; outfit. For Duo was wearing a pair of VERY tight black jeans, and a long-sleeved purple shirt that clung to every muscle in his torso. Black boots and a chunky silver belt completed the look.
 
Duo noticed him looking, and chuckled before grabbing Wu Fei's arm and dragging him down the steps. “Come on, man!” he said enthusiastically as he practically ran down the road. Wu Fei followed slightly more slowly with a tiny smile on his face.
 
When they reached town, Duo skipped about excitedly, face beaming as he took in all the bright decorations and lanterns. Wu Fei agreed they were beautiful, but couldn't seem to figure out their purpose. Amidst the festivities Duo thrived, not caring when a streamer became tangled in his braid, nor when a resident accidentally bumped him. Wu Fei became quite fascinated by the way Duo could just smile and let things lie; it was very difficult to believe that he wouldn't retaliate. But then, the Chinese teenager supposed, it probably hadn't helped that he'd never tried to get to know Duo before this.
 
“ `Fei!” An insistent tugging on his arm let him know that Duo was ready to move on from this particular area. He obediently followed the braided head in front of him, streamers floating behind him. The streamers should have seemed ridiculous, but they weren't. They were just…there.
 
“Duo?” he finally asked as they passed a group of people. The other teenager spun around with a bright grin on his face…too late Wu Fei realised his mistake.
 
“I - uh, that is…Maxwell, why did you bring me here?” Wu Fei blurted out, gesturing with his arms. Duo looked almost sad when Wu Fei used his surname, but shrugged.
 
“I guess I just wanted to see you have some fun. Young as we are, we should have a normal life, with fun…” His voice trailed off as Wu Fei stepped closer to him, purple eyes glistening suspiciously.
 
“Maxwell, you and I have never been young. It is our fate to be what we are; we cannot change that. I for one -“ Duo cut him off with an impatient gesture.
 
“I don't believe that!” he snapped, purple eyes fixed on Wu Fei's face. “I believe life is what we make it, not some amazing tale that was mapped out for us before we were even born! I refuse to believe that my life has been ruled by something else other than me, and the same should go for you! You should be proud to be who you are, Wu Fei, and stand strong, not be just some puppet that someone else decreed you should be!”
 
Wu Fei stared at Duo hard, black eyes narrowing. Duo flung his arms in the air, turned on his heel and stalked over to the railing that lined the small wooden bridge that was constructed over the shallow river that ran by the town. Ignoring confused looks from passersby Wu Fei followed him, moving close to Duo so that only he would hear what he had to say.
 
“Duo, what is it about this particular night that is so important to you?” he asked quietly, and had to move closer to decipher the mumble he got in return.
 
“Wanted to make you happy…do something you'd like…” Well, that was a surprise! Wu Fei hid his shock behind another question.
 
“Why?” That one word seemed to encompass the world, and as Duo turned a tear-streaked face to him Wu Fei's world turned upside down.
 
“Think I love you…” Duo muttered, avoiding Wu Fei's eye. The Chinese pilot could not have been more taken aback if someone had just informed him that the Easter Bunny was real, and he groped for something to say. Duo turned away again with a whispered apology, and Wu Fei didn't have time to think; he reacted.
 
“Wha - ?” Duo was spun around before he could catch his balance, and then something warm was pressed against his mouth…Wu Fei was kissing him?! Duo's knees gave way as the kiss continued and grew into something more, something wonderful…
 
“Aah!” Suddenly all the wonderful feelings were gone and Duo was absolutely soaking wet. He glared at Wu Fei from the river, face flushed and braid disheveled. Wu Fei smirked at him, lit from behind by the lanterns and framed by the stars. Duo was just thinking about how best to pay him back when all of a sudden something caught his eye.
 
“Look, a shooting star!” he exclaimed, pointing. Wu Fei twisted to see it, and caught the tail end of it. “Idiot,” he said affectionately, “it's probably just a bit of Leo or Taurus - Ack!” Wu Fei was suddenly and inexplicably soaked.
 
Duo laughed, splashing Wu Fei again. The Chinese pilot dodged, but barely, and smirked. “You'll have to do better than that, Maxwell,” he called, wading into the river. Duo chuckled happily and scampered away, splashing water at Wu Fei every so often. Wu Fei followed smugly, and attacked Duo every so often. It was more fun than he'd had in years…
 
When they finally made their way back to the house, bedraggled and exhilarated, Duo slung his arm around Wu Fei again. Wu Fei yawned and shook the arm off, and was gifted with wounded eyes. “But, but…Fei…” Duo whined. Wu Fei ignored the complaining and tugged the other pilot closer so he could kiss him again. Duo succumbed eagerly to the kiss, arms going around Wu Fei as their passion deepened.
 
Someone cleared their throat behind them and the two sprang apart in embarrassment. Trowa stood there, a frown on his face. Behind him, Quatre was blushing at catching them together. Duo leapt right in.
 
“Hey guys, how was it? Didya blow lots of stuff up?” Trowa nodded sharply, eyes on Wu Fei as Duo continued to talk. Quatre's blush was beginning to recede as Duo kept on at him, but his eyes wandered to Wu Fei every so often.
 
“Where's Heero?” Duo asked suddenly, looking about as though the other pilot might pop out from behind a tree. Quatre pointed above them, all teenager's eyes automatically following the movement. “Space?” Duo enquired, and Quatre nodded. His voice appeared to have taken a vacation.
 
Suddenly Wu Fei smiled. Trowa started; it apparently made him nervous. Wu Fei didn't care, though. “Quatre, did he say what he was doing? Where in space he was headed?” Quatre nodded, but Trowa answered.
 
“Above here. Defending one of the smaller colonies from the threat of the Taurus'. Why do you ask?” Wu Fei smirked and pointed at Duo.
 
“I told you!” he stated smugly, earning himself a wide-eyed stare from the other three pilots. Laughing softly to himself Wu Fei strode up the steps to the front door, shutting it behind him. Nataku had better approve of the handful he'd just caught himself; he doubted very much that she wouldn't. After all, Duo could charm a grumpy teenager like him…a hunk of Gundanium shouldn't be too much work! Content at last, Wu Fei wandered off to the back porch and was just in time to see another shooting star. There was much to be said for friends in high places…