Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Love Lost and Found Again ❯ Arrangement ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimers: Same as before, I don't own them.
 
Chapter 2: Arrangement
(Duo's POV)
 
Duo scratched his head. Well that was interesting. He looked around at the guys and saw the same sentiment reflected on all of their faces. Trowa was just the one that spoke it aloud. He started to say something and was cut off by Quatre's grinning face.
 
“So Duo, you think she's cute? And here, I always thought you were gay.” Quatre was laughing. Duo could have sworn he heard Heero and Trowa sniggering in the background.
 
Duo stuttered. “Well, I am gay. I don't think I have to prove that one to you.” He looked significantly at Heero, who agreed with a laugh. “But man, that kid had great eyes.” Duo leaned back and imagined Alex's brown eyes again. He hadn't really seen much else in the darkness, and even in the half-light of the room that they had brought him, oh her, into there hadn't been much discerning of her features since it was covered in the black paint. But the eyes were enough. They had looked at him with disdain, disbelief, and even amusement. He had loved to see all the emotions flickering through them. The fact that when the paint had come off a beautiful face had emerged framed with gorgeous black hair, as black as Wufei's hadn't hurt either.
 
“Duo's got a crush.” Trowa stated, and smiled matter-of-factly. “On a girl, no less. This has been one interesting day.”
 
Duo frowned slightly. But I'm gay aren't I? I mean, I had that thing with Heero and even Fei. What the hell am I doing thinking about a girl? Fei's no less. But wait…
 
Duo hesitantly asked, “Ro, what are you going to do about her? I mean, Fei…”
 
Heero looked up sharply, as if the thought had just occurred to him. He and Wufei had just started dating a month ago, and that was a couple months after Duo had finally left both of them, stating that he couldn't stand in the middle of them any longer. They loved each other, and Duo was just a go-between.
 
“I don't think that'll be much of a problem,” Quatre said carefully, watching as Heero tensed up and looked at him. “Wufei treated her as if she was a little sister or something. And besides, isn't Wufei gay?”
 
“Well we thought that about Duo too, didn't we?” Heero snapped, his frustration forcing him into anger.
 
Duo's eyes grew large. “Hey man, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to—”
 
“No it's nothing. I just have to cool off. I'll see you around.” Heero stalked off.
 
--
 
They had all headed back to their own rooms quietly. Duo didn't know what to say. He still had a soft spot for Heero. Hell, it was hard enough to break up with the man. He was utterly gorgeous and was the best fuck he'd ever had. Wufei on the other hand, was fun to tease and torture. Maybe he had a thing for these Asian boys, or maybe just the quiet types. But still, it was for the best. Wufei and him, they made each other happier. Of course, Quatre and Trowa were inseparable, leaving Duo all alone. That's what he was doing that night outside in the junkyard, contemplating his loneliness. He had been trying to decide what to do about it when Alex had dropped into his life.
 
And now, he heard her changing and talking to Wufei in Chinese. It wasn't like it was hard to understand. All the Gundam pilots were trained in many languages, and even if Asian languages weren't Duo's forte, he would have had no problem deciphering it. It was the fact that he didn't want to eavesdrop on something that seemed like a heated argument. They were in the adjoining room to his and the words all came out sharply. He could hear Alex's voice, a slight alto to Wufei's baritone, and listened to the inflections that showed her anger.
 
After a few minutes, Duo headed off to the kitchen. It was too tempting to listen in on the conversation, and as he was on cooking duty tonight anyway, he figured he probably should get started. Then he heard a door slam, and stomping feet. Then Alex turned the corner and Duo stopped stirring the soup and stared at her.
 
She was wearing one of Wufei's outfits, which was too big for her, making her seem delicate underneath it all. And she was furious.
 
Alex looked at him, hesitated and then she closed her eyes and seemed to be calming herself. Man, I guess she really is just like Wufei if she does that meditation crap. It made him feel a little bitter, and it gave him a start to realize it wasn't bitter because he was jealous of her for having Wufei, it was because he was jealous of Wufei for getting her.
 
When she opened her eyes again, he was battling with these new ideas while trying to maintain a cool front. She was calm then, looking at him blankly.
 
“Hungry?” Duo managed weakly. He didn't know why, but he seemed reduced to one-word sentences at the moment. When she shook her head, he looked at her questioningly.
 
“I—” She swallowed before continuing. “I wanted to thank you for getting me away from the police,” she said in a clipped manner. She didn't seem very grateful to Duo; instead she sounded a little upset. “But I really have to leave now, so could you please show me the way out?”
 
“Why—?” Duo was stopped by Wufei, who had just entered the room. He swallowed hard, but he was a little glad Wufei had interrupted him. He hadn't known what was about to pop out of his mouth.
 
Wufei started speaking, deadly serious. “You can't just walk out. You know who we are, don't you? Then, you know that we can't risk having anyone track us down. So you're staying here. I will take care of you.”
 
Alex sighed irritably. “When can I stop telling you guys,” she paused to throw Duo a look, “I'll be fine by myself. I don't need anyone to take care of me. Just … I don't know, blindfold me or something and dump me in the middle of the city. Or at the church. I don't care, and I definitely won't tell anyone about you guys. I just want to get away from here. Away from you, you damn overprotective biao guh.”
 
“Ah that explains the similarities.” Duo swung around to see Heero leaning on the doorframe. He looked slightly happy, and he glanced at Duo. Seeing his confusion, Heero clarified. “She's his cousin.”
 
Duo almost sighed in relief, though he couldn't figure out why. He knew obviously why Heero was smiling. Wufei wasn't in any danger of being stolen from him. That should have made his heart ache a little, Duo realized, but the fact that it hadn't confused him a great deal.
 
While Heero and Duo had been clarifying, Wufei had ended the fight saying, “You can't. That's my final word. You'll be safe here. I promised your mom.” Then he walked away.
 
Alex sunk down onto her knees, defeated. She leaned back against the wall, and then faced Heero and Duo with a defeated smile. “I guess I'll be around for that food now.”
 
Heero let out a little chuckle. “It won't be bad I promise. Duo wouldn't kill you.” Alex smiled a little brighter.