Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Melancholy ❯ Melancholy ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
December 21, AC 199

Our meeting went badly.

Wufei relayed the conversation he had had with Quatre after dinner. I honestly don't know how to describe the pandemonium that went on afterwards, except to say that I ended up clinging to Rufus and protecting him bodily while Duo threw the dishes against the wall and screamed incoherently while Heero tried to grab him and calm him down.

Monster, he said. Angel, he said.

I am beginning to wonder which one is Quatre myself.December 21, AC 199

Trowa is finally asleep.

He made me promise that we would go to the hospital tomorrow to visit Quatre, and then he started muttering things about monsters and angels as he fell asleep against me.

I remember a day last August when all five of us went to play on the beach together. We swam in the warm sea, basked in the sun, laughed, tackled each other, and generally made fools of ourselves, but then we split up into our usual groups. Heero was patiently building OZ bases out of wet sand and letting Duo demolish them with a driftwood scythe; Trowa was reclining in a shallow trench we had built and was letting me slowly bury him in sand; Quatre was alone, collecting interesting shells and pebbles and arranging them in an intricate mandala by the tide line.

I remember warning him that the tide was coming in and his creation was going to get washed away. I remember the sad little smile he gave me. "It's all right, Wufei. Nothing lasts forever." He had said with a little shrug, and then he went back to his labor. When my prediction came true and the tide came to claim his artwork inch by inexorable inch, he merely stood there and watched it go, seemingly without regret.

That was the last time he came to play on the beach with us.December 22, AC 199

Okay, so I don't hate him.

I had a long talk with Heero last night, and I realized that I don't really hate Quatre, I'm just pissed off about his attitude. He should have known that he could have gone to any of us for help! He didn't need to let it go this far! What the hell is his problem with

[unfinished text]December 22, AC 199

I made Duo stay back at the house while Trowa, Wufei, and I went to the hospital to visit Quatre. He was too wound up to do any good. I'll deal with him later.

>Wufei seemed to be in good spirits, but Trowa looked nervous. I don't think he slept well last night. He looked agitated and tense.

We went up to Quatre's room on the fifth floor without incident. He was asleep-sedated, I suppose. He looked so pale and still that I had to put my fingers to his neck to confirm his pulse.

Trowa put his offering of green and gold flowers into the empty vase by the bed. Wufei wrapped his string of 50 origami cranes around its base. I set the card that Duo and I had signed next to it. Hopefully he will wake to see our well-wishes.

Quatre, my friend, please come back to us.