Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Melancholy ❯ Melancholy ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
December 23, AC 199

Duo is still in no emotional condition to go to the hospital, but he did manage to find a rather unique gift for Quatre. I didn't know that they made scale model Gundams. It was as good a reproduction of Sandrock as you can get with molded plastic, making me wonder exactly how they got the specifications. I suspect this is Dr. J's doing. It would fit in with his rather…unique sense of humor to market a line of toys based on the Gundams. Duo called me paranoid and walloped me with a pillow, but just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I couldn't be right.

Quatre looked almost surprised when I gave him the miniature Gundam. He flexed its joints, opened the cockpit, took apart the cross-crusher and inspected it from every angle with more life in his eyes than I'd seen in weeks. "Remarkable," was the verdict. I was relieved. Out of all of us, Quatre had been the most emotionally attached to his Gundam and I was afraid he might react badly to the model. I was glad that it seemed to bring back good memories for him.

I didn't get much more conversation out of him. He seemed distracted. His hands were in constant restless motion-playing with the Gundam, straightening his sheet, scratching and worrying at a patch of irritated skin over his right ear, and just generally fidgeting. "I don't like this new medication," he confessed at last. "I can't concentrate."

"It's giving you a rash, too. I'll talk to your doctor."

He covered his right ear with one hand. "It's not a rash, Heero, it's…."

"What is it?" I asked after waiting a full minute for him to continue.

"Nothing." He said softly. He focused on the Sandrock model, popping the hatch open and shut, open and shut. After a few repetitions of that, he yawned and sank back on his pillow. "I'm kind of tired, Heero. Thank you for visiting me."

Even though it was a clear dismissal, I beeped for a nurse. In a second, a large red-haired man entered the room, and I gave him my most serious look-the look that Duo calls my Death Glare. I escorted the man outside.

"He is having a bad reaction to his medication," I explained. "He is restless and agitated and he has a rash on his temple. Fix it."

"I'll bring it to his doctor's attention." The nurse said.

"See that you do." I wasn't satisfied with the nurse's answer, but I knew that it was the best I could expect, so I merely let him go and went back down to the garage. I needed to go home to Duo.December 23, AC 199

I'm glad Quatre liked his present, since he won't be home in time for Christmas... I'm the only one who celebrates Christmas around here, so I kinda feel obligated to give the other guys presents. The others would most likely rather wallow in gloom this time of year than celebrate, seeing as it's the anniversary of the wars and all. I think that's stupid, but that's just me.

I've blackmailed Trowa into helping me with baking cookies, and he promises to help me with Christmas dinner. He's in his room studying cookbooks right now. He's a good sport, but God help me, if he chooses to make soup, I'm gonna strangle him.

Hey, I think Heero just got home! Maybe he'll be in the mood to

(unfinished text)


December 23, AC 199

I curse the day Catherine decided to teach me how to cook. At the time it was a welcome diversion to boredom, but once Duo found out I could actually cream butter and sugar together and separate an egg, he bludgeoned me mercilessly until I caved in and helped him bake no less tha six varieties of Christmas cookies. Not only that, but he bullied me into helping with dinner on Christmas day.

Hm, turkey soup looks easy enough….

I digress. Heero came back from the hospital with good news and bad news. The good news was that Quatre seemed to be improving physically and only needs to stay in the hospital till he gains five more pounds and comes up with a normal red blood cell count. The bad news is that he appears to be having an allergic reaction to the antidepressants he has been prescribed and is very uncomfortable.

I tried to get more details out of him but Duo had dragged him up the stairs by his shirt collar by that point.

Turkey soup…onions, celery, turkey, stock. Sounds good to me.