Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Mission Complete ❯ Oh, It's You ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Oh, It's You

So, ignoring every ounce of common sense you have and your instincts that scream at you not to go, you decide to go meet that boy in the park and get your ID card back. Choosing to overlook the fact that you're breaking practically ever rule that Doctor Y had ever set down, even the ones that even you usually followed, you go to Oak Park anyway. Walking to the park at 1200 hours, three hours before you're supposed to meet the boy, you wander around aimlessly for about ten minutes before realizing just how darn big the place actually is. Maybe about five acres of land, land, and MORE land didn't lead to a good chance of you actually finding the place you were supposed to meet him at. In other words… you'd have to spend your time searching for him, while he could just sit around hiding, wait for you to show up, and shoot you when you appear, if he so desired. Great. Just peachy.

Grumbling quietly about the insanity of it all under your breath, you slip a Swiss Army knife out of its place in your pocket and start playing around with it, not really caring if anyone sees you. Besides… this park is strangely deserted; you'd only seen one or two people since you'd gotten there, and you're pretty sure that you'd gone over every square inch of it at least twice. It looks like any other typical park: typical fountain, typical wooden benches, typical gardens, typical large, looming forest that was just begging you to go in there and scare the wits out of the first person who walked in… it was just that type of woods, filled with old oak trees. Oak. You never could've guessed. I mean, it's called Oak Park, so who would've thought that there were oak trees in it?

Pulling yourself away from your sarcastic train of thought, you sigh and start tossing the small blade up in the air and catching it, before lobbing it at the trunk of a nearby tree. It embeds itself deep in the bark, and you walk over and pull it out, wondering what exactly you're supposed to do to attract the attention of this guy that you're supposed to meet. Only then do you realize that you don't even know his name; but then again, you didn't really introduce yourselves the last time you met.

You glance at your watch; it's only 2:00. Still another hour to go… playing with your knife again, you hiss slightly as you grab it the wrong way and the blade cuts into your fingers. "Ow!" Dropping the knife, you inspect your hand; there're a few small cuts, but nothing too serious. "Stupid, stupid knife… stupid, stupid me…" You bend down to pick up the knife and grab it, but suddenly freeze when you get the sudden feeling that someone's watching you. Your hand immediately drops to the hidden pistol in your jacket and you slowly stand up, only to be greeted by the feeling of cold metal on the side of your head.

Your eyes shift oh-so-slightly to your right, and you see that someone's holding a gun to your head - you can't really see who. The hand holding the clearly visible Swiss Army Knife clenches, and you almost unconsciously start lifting it slowly, all the while wondering if this is the person you're supposed to meet. A voice interrupts your thoughts.

"Don't move." Your left hand, the hand holding the knife, jerks suddenly, and you gulp slightly, not really having realized that you were moving it. The man continues, "Stand up slowly."

"But you just told me not to move. Make up your mind already, will ya?" you ask him, letting yourself sound cynical to hide your nervousness. You do as you say, however, and straighten up. 'Maybe I should have listened to Doctor Y for once in my lifetime… did I just think that?'

The gun follows your head as you stand up. Deciding that now's as good a time as ever, you whip your right hand out of your jacket and point it at the head of the person who has you at gunpoint. You look him straight in the face, eyes suddenly harder as you switch to Soldier-Mode, but it almost slips away as you let out a soft gasp before the mask of an experienced killer slides back onto your face.

Your opponent's face reveals slight surprise as you lift your gun, but that too disappears, leaving his appearance as cold as ever. Messy brown hair… Prussian blue eyes… and a face that you're not going to forget for a while. After all, it's not often that you meet someone this hot. "Oh, it's you."

His eyes narrow slightly. "Who else did you expect it to be?"

You just glare at him, and he glares right back. The tension in the air seems to last forever as the minutes tick by… and then simultaneously, as if by silent agreement, the two of you put away your guns and stare each other in the eye. Finally, you can't stand the silence any longer and speak. "You're early."

He doesn't reply for a minute, but you could almost swear you see a hint of confusion and… amusement? in those cold eyes of his. "Hn."

"So what do you want?" you demand, taking up a slightly defiant stance. "I don't think you called me here just to talk."

He shrugs. "I needed to give this back to you." He hands you your ID card, and you take it warily, still staring suspiciously at him.

"And…?"

The boy sighs. "Why don't we sit down?"

You smirk. "Hey, while we're at it, mind telling me your name? In the excitement of… what was it, two nights ago now? Well, anyway, I don't think we were ever properly introduced. As you probably know, I'm ___________ _____________ (full name)."

He looks slightly surprised at how relaxed you seem, even after the little gunpoint-stalemate you had a few minutes ago. As usual, the look completely disappears from his face, and you sigh inwardly. 'So much for getting him to trust me somewhat…' "Hn. Heero Yuy."

You smile at him and hold out your hand. "Well then, it's very nice to meet you, Mr. Heero Yuy. I believe we've met before, but as this is the first time I've been formally introduced to you, I suppose we should shake hands, ne?"

The surprised look is back, but it quickly dissolves into a small smile - the first real smile you've seen from him, in fact. Your grin broadens as he takes your hand and raises it to his lips. "The pleasure is mine, Ms. _________ (last name)."

You try not to laugh as he leads you to a nearby bench. "Why, thank you, Mr. Yuy. Not many people I know would play along with me like this."

The two of you sit down, and his look turns serious. "I need to know why you fight OZ and how you managed to get your hands on weapons like that, along with how you knew that they were returning," he says calmly.

You roll your eyes. "Oh, really now? Man, I hate long explanations…" you grumble.

A slight smirk graces Heero's lips. "Then make it quick."

"Easy for you to say. You're not the one explaining," you mutter, then quickly launch into your story. "Well… I'm a colonist, and like the Gundam pilots and other colonists, I didn't really like the oppression the Alliance was forcing onto us. Unlike the other colonists, though, I wasn't exactly fooled by OZ's little 'we're here to help' act. I would've fought them two years ago if I could, but there was a slight problem, which I'm not going to go into. It was during that war that the person who I work for had been labeled a threat to public security and was imprisoned by the Alliance. After the war, he somehow managed to be released, except for the fact that his knowledge about OZ and Romefeller didn't matter too much now that the war was over. But, well… there was a certain man who had risen to some degree of power within OZ, and there was no record of his death. Sure, he could just have died and his death wasn't taken note of or the body wasn't found or anything, but knowing this guy, our leader wasn't too sure of it. He did a bit of research and concluded that the man was probably still alive and up to no good, which is about the point where I met him and started training to do this stuff, just in case. After the Mariemaia incident a year ago, he found out that the man had been in her army and had disappeared again, probably to cause more trouble. A couple months ago, we were able to track him down, and found out that he's central to the plot to bring back OZ." You shrug slightly, then sigh. "Well, so much for quick…"

"You skipped some important details," Heero notes. "More specifically, names."

You'd hoped he wouldn't ask about that. "Well, actually… the name of the guy with OZ is so classified that even I don't know it, which is weird, considering I'm like the highest-ranking person besides our leader, who doesn't actually do any fighting. And as for the name of our leader…" you bite your lip. "I'm not really supposed to say much about him. Top-secret and all that, a matter of security that even I'm not so dumb as to break… I hope you understand." You stare him in the eyes, and you notice that you see something like reluctant acceptance there: he doesn't want to take it as an answer, but he does understand your position. You're relieved when he nods to show he won't pry any further.

"So then, what next?" you ask, just as your cell phone decides to start ringing. "Oh… sorry about that… hello? Uh huh… yeah… really? Oh, man… not good. Yeah, I'll be there. Later." You hang up and turn to Heero, the cocky grin on your face a stark contrast to the icy look that has just entered your eyes. "That was our leader. He said," you take a deep breath and continue, "he said OZ has made its move. They're attacking right now."

Heero regards you calmly. "So then what're you going to do?"

You don't hesitate. "I'll fight them, of course. It's my job, right?" Something else seems to hit you; that's not really what Heero meant. Right now, he's testing you, in his own way… and you have two choices as to what to tell him.

You tell him you'll take care of this yourself and he shouldn't worry. After all, this is what you're supposed to do, and a good soldier has to work alone when he has to… or in this case, she. - go to page thirty-five

Ask him if he wants to help you. After all, you kind of have an uneasy understanding right now, and if he's really against OZ, there's no way he'll refuse. And if independence is an important soldier's skill, then teamwork is too, right? - go to page thirty-six