Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Move On ❯ Move it or lose it ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not claim ownership to these characters, and I'm not being paid to do so. (aren't disclaimers dull?)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Introduction: This is something that came to me suddenly, I worked on it for a while and it just worked out.

The songwords are from `Letting Go` by Nitin Sawhney, if you can find the album `Beyond Skin` I strongly recommend it. The song is slow, haunting and has a brilliant instrumental.

Out of the three things that influence me:
~The people I know,
Places I go, and
My music~
This would be spawn of the latter, mostly classical and thoughtful songs.

Thanks for checking me out~JayB

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Move On

~
Now I've opened up my heart
How can I turn to the dark?
In the swaying silence
I see
There's nothing I can hold onto

You can't breath if I hold you tight
You cannot breath if I hold you tight

Don't be afraid of letting go
Don't be afraid of letting go

Not of anything
Not of anyone

All alone here
With my demons
Am I ready to move on?
~

Heero collapsed on the couch, maybe perfect soldiers needed some time to chill-out too. Not that they realised, to them he was a souless robot, able to work non-stop with no break and no argument. `They` were the Preventers, his employers. It paid the rent but his job was far from his previous employment (if you could call it an employment). His Gundam had been destroyed three years ago when `peace` was the word on everyone's lips, since then there had been nothing but minor uprisings. Groups of amateurs that wanted to overthrow the Sanq Kingdom's new dominance over the Earth, and Heero was paid to obliterate them before they became a threat to the monarchy.

His oath of protection towards Relena didn't keep him fighting anymore, it was his next pay check. They teased him like a little puppy, dangling cash like a treat before his eyes and leading him on with their requests. As if `roll over` had been replaced with `kill some rebels`. For once, Heero knew he was right.

He was the Preventers bitch.

Home from another day's work/ordeal, the couch was always a solstice. Slumping his limbs to the point of forgetting their existence and letting his eyes pop out of focus, Heero relaxed. As he finished a contented sigh, his dry lips form a word, spoken in a gruff and quiet tone,
"Bliss."
With that word his heavy eyelids began to slowly and steadily decend.

+:+:+:+:+:+

Heero /knew/ that he would be rudely awakened. He knew from the scent of machinery filtering in through his nostrils, and the soft voice telling him that he looked cute as he slept. It all floated into his still-alert senses, rapped on the door of concious thought (to find no-one was home) and decided to disrupt the floor below. The end result being a bizarre dream where Duo sung about his vegetable garden.
"You know me too well, baka," he murmured.
The young man turned to him, Duo /always/ looked sexy when he was covered with oil and smelt of the inner workings of a truck. That mischievous grin and light chuckle didn't help either.
"How do you mean?" he asked the sleepless soldier.
Stretching his arms and shifting a blanket `mysteriously` placed over him Heero sat up straight. "I'm a deep sleeper." he answered with a croaky voice,
"Nothing can withstand my warblings, right?"
Heero placed a hand over his headache and smiled, "We spend too much time together," he muttered, not even turning to Duo, "That song was worse than usual."
The God of Death leant against the table behind the couch and stared out of the french windows before Heero, "I couldn't think of anything so I looked at what was around me for inspiration. The vegetable patch in the garden is the only thing I can see in this light."

Outside the sky was jet black, a star dotted here and there made no change. The vegetable patch was planted underneath the little ambience that emitted from the outside light. A few radishes were visible but, in Heero's opinion, it was nothing to sing about.
"When are you going to get treated for that condition?" he asked.
"I have a condition?"
"Yes, you always leave the outside light on!"

Duo's violet eyes danced as he giggled. In Heero's eyes Duo was the luckiest guy on Earth, he was in a stable relationship, had a job he loved and lived with his best friend in a house by the lake. In his thoughts Duo was a fulfilled being, and himself? Heero felt starved, too much was expected of him. It was as if he were never to laugh or cry, to sing or dance, to sleep and dream...

As he saw Heero yawn, Duo placed his baseball cap on the table and walked over to the sofa cheerfully.
"Come on Yuy-man, the morning is young! Red or white?"
"White, please."
"Sure can do!"
While Duo left for the kitchen, Heero wrapped the cushiony blanket around his body, creating an effective coccoon of white and gold fabric. A quick glance towards the flashing clock on the DVD found the time to be around 3am, late even for Duo. Wrapping tighter in the comforting blanket, Heero did some analogical thinking, the kind he was renowned for. Where had Maxwell been?

Thoughts were cut off by the arrival of wine, Heero was delighted to see that Duo had bought some champagne on his journey home, and Duo looked proud of himself for making the `perfect soldier's` face light up so vibrantly. Placing the bottle and glasses, all arranged on a tray, onto the coffee table, Duo sat in the space next to his metamorphing friend.
"You should be careful, you could get lost in there!" he joked, peering into the ball of blanket.
Heero said nothing but picked up a glass from the table, "You're the one that woke me up, I was completely relaxed before you started your radish melody."
Duo sunk into his comfy cotton seat (leather had been out of the question since he'd turned vegetarian) and rolled his eyes as he sipped from his glass, "Relaxed? I'd say you were asleep. Anyway, at least I have the confidence and lack of inhibitions to sing anywhere at any time. Look at /you/, Yuy-man! You're all huddled up in my blanket as if it's your protection for a curse of Lady Unes!"

Heero sipped his drink and ignored Duo's comment about his much-despised boss, "What's the occasion, Duo?"
"I was hoping you'd finish your drink before asking that," he said gravely.
Heero looked at his friends embarassed face, no, not embarassed, more guilty.
"Tell me, Duo. There's no point in looking like that."
"Hilde asked me to move in."
Heero put his glass down, "What did you say to her?"
"I... I said yes," Duo was alert to Heero's expression, it was mortified. In his heart Duo Maxwell knew that Heero hated to be alone, that's why they shared the house. "Heero, I don't want you to be by yourself. So I have an idea, but I need your consent, Ok?"
Heero looked at his hand, "Ok," he mumbled
"Can Hilde live with us?"

+:+:+:+:+:+

Heero carried a box stuffed high with books, obviously Hilde didn't live light. Her belongings had already taken the best of the sweaty afternoon to move, his-self and Duo moving back and forth from her flat in the centre of the city to their house on the outskirts. Both had taken the day off work and were now out of favour with their bosses (and something always `came up` when they wanted to lose a day). Meanwhile, Hilde was busy speculating a change of colour scheme in the room she now shared with Duo and checking the local timetables for transport to her town planner job.

"Where do you want these?" Heero asked the young woman.
Sitting on the double bed with her legs crossed and her head stuck in a sheet of train times, she didn't bother lifting her head to answer, "Depends. What have you got there?"
"More books."
"Ah, brilliant. Just place them over there with rest, babe," she said, motioning to a cardboard mountain.
Heero found a place for the box and turned to leave the room, glancing back to his new flatmate, "Heero will do."
"Sure, Hun!" Hilde called after him. She giggled and wrote down train times in her planner, Heero and Duo were going to be great company.

Heero walked outside and sat on the front steps. In front of him the low sun burnt the cotton bud clouds, making them drop onto the horizon as little sparks of fire, their explosions flooding the blue sky with pink blood. It seemed like only yesterday when he was showering the world with blood, now he hated his tedious work. He wasn't fighting for anything anymore. If he was truely following his emotions he would fight against Relena, who'd become yet another power hungry leader, tearing everything in her path to total domination. He /felt/ for the unions and parties he had to obliterate, he had been like them once. No longer.

Now he was the Preventers bitch and Queen Relena's whore. Doing it for the money, wearing designer clothes, sitting on the sun-drenched steps of the front garden of a well-sized house. It wasn't his style.

Heero lifted his head from its view of the stone slabs on which he sat as he heard the motor of Duo's Merc. A car suitable for the God of Death if there ever was one, black and shiny with the numbers 6669 on the plate. Heero remembered how he had groaned as Duo brought it back from work with him.
"I got the last boot-load of junk!" he called.
"I heard that!" came a voice from the inside the house.
Duo laughed and turned to Heero, who was walking towards the car. His expression said it all.
"Oh man, have you been thinking again? What's eating ya, Heero?"
Heero looked his best friend straight in the eyes, "No more spontaneous drinking sessions at three in the morning?"
"I guess not," Duo said with a little `Hah!`, "We got pretty drunk didn't we?"
Blocking off eye contact, Heero smiled and lifted a hefty box from the boot of the car. He'd heard the taint of regret in Duo's voice.

It had been a mistake. No, it had been enjoyable. An enjoyable mistake. They'd argued, shouted, calmed down, looked at each other for a lifetime and... kissed. Why did pleasure always come with pain? Duo didn't look at him the same way anymore, Hilde had him now. Heero would have to move on.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Would you like another chapter? Reviews are greatly appreciate, and, let's face it, I can't end there.