Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ My Kinda Fairy Tale ❯ Double Attacks ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Eight

Double Attack

//It was mid day when Duo decided to leave his room. He smirked when he thought of Zechs's face, the Head Advisor always thought he was holed up in his room all day. Truthfully he was. The Solo Kingdoms were small but influential. There was nothing to do so Duo spent a lot of his time reading in his room. Today was different though. He had a deadline to make. Heero or Dorothy in six days. He had to choose. Or else Zechs would be choosing for him and he didn't want to attend that wedding.//

"What are you doing Duo?" Quatre asked innocently. Duo looked up and stared at the blonde blankly before he registered the question.

"Oh, this? It's an English assignment. I have to write a fairy tale."

"Sounds interesting," Quatre scowled. "Not like my English. I have Ms Surplus. She's such a ditz."

Merian rolled her eyes. "Tell me about it! I had her last year and I barely passed that stupid class! My mother had a fit!"

"I had her in grade nine," Duo pounded the table and made them all jump. "I got screwed over for grade ten and Mr Adriano almost failed me!"

"I remember that," Dorothy chuckled. "Sister Helen almost had your head!"

"Yea," Duo grinned. "Then she met Ms Surplus."

Dorothy placed her pencil crayon on the desk and glanced at the clock on the library wall. Her glimpse made Duo look before he sighed. He had fifteen minutes until French with Merian and Wufei. He settled back and was about to keep writing when Quatre asked another question.

"So can I read it?"

Duo bit his lip. Quatre would not be impressed with the butchering of his character. "Um, it's not finished yet and uh, I'm still revising it."

"But can I still read it?"

"Um," Duo looked at the ceiling. There were several ways he could handle this. He could let Quatre read it and hope the bell rang before he reached chapter five, he could guilt Quatre into not wanting to read it or he could whip up an excuse and run. Letting Quatre read it was out of the question. He was a fast reader and still sensitive to how people viewed him. Never meeting someone his own age until that year was hard on a kid. He could guilt him but that would be mean and make him look like a jackass. An excuse seemed to be an order.

"Would you look at the time! I have to get to my locker! Se you in math!" Duo grabbed his bag and ran from the library with Quatre looking after him confused. Duo knew this would baffle and possibly hurt Quatre's feelings. He slowed in the hall and tiptoed passed a class as he bit his lip.

"I'll make it up to him in math," Duo whispered to himself as he weaved his way to his locker. He sighed when he reached it and was thankful he was in a hall with no classes. Students were forbidden in hall until a few minutes before the bell. He opened his neat organised locker and knelt to place his bag on the floor. He pulled out his English and Science books. He dumped them in then remembered how hard Trowa worked to keep the locker clean. He sighed and placed the books on the right shelf. Then he zipped up his bag again and locked the door. He still had ten minutes.

He snuck to the door of the empty French room and settled on the floor nearby. He double checked for teachers and opened his book.

//Or else Zechs would be choosing for him and he didn't want to attend that wedding.

Duo casually tried to sneak passed Wufei to no success. Wufei calmly followed him around the castle. Finally Duo got annoyed and turned to face the Chinese guard, hands on hips.

"Why are you following me? I know my way around thank you very much!"

"With all the foreign royalty around I was entrusted with you life. I have to follow you and keep you out of assassin's way," Wufei hid a smirk but Duo saw that way he was smugly pleased by his eyes. Duo glared.

"Who ordered you?"

"King Solo and Head Advisor Zechs Merquese."

"We'll see about that," Duo glared and turned to march to Zechs's office.//

Duo jumped and yelped in pain as someone stepped on his toe. He glared at the offended only to see the back disappear into the door next to him. He heard the second bell ring. Not even standing, Duo threw himself through the door as the bell ended. He landed half in and half out of the class on his stomach.

He looked up to see the laughter in Mme Goulash's eyes. He smiled charmingly and stood so he was inside the class.

"Am I late Madame?" he grinned hopefully.

"How about only half of a detention, Hm?" she gave a tiny grin. "Stay for five minutes after the bell, your ass has to be punished."

Duo blushed and scrambled to his seat beside Merian and Wufei as the class giggle around him. Merian poked him and whispered, "Be glad I stomped on your foot when I did."

There was no time for writing as the class started and rapidly turned into a pop quiz. It lasted most of the period and by the time they had finished taking down the homework the bell had rung. Duo stood to leave when Mme Goulash's slightly accenting voice rang out sharply, "Duo Maxwell, don't forget that your ass is mine."

Duo groaned and sat back down. The class filtered out and the new one filtered in. Duo was quickly kicked out of his seat for one at the very back of the class. Mme Goulash looked sharply at Duo and said, "You are free to leave in five minutes after the bell Mr Maxwell."

It was a grade nine class and Duo quickly tuned out. This time he was not going to pull out his notebook, once he started writing it took a while for him to come back and he was not about to stay in here the whole period. He twiddled his fingers and laughed at the answers the grade nines gave. He watched the clock and the second it turned five minutes after the bell, he lifted his bag, waved a farewell to Mme Goulash and exited the room.

He found Wufei at the usual spot in the café and plopped down beside him. Wufei glared when he made the table jump. He looked back down at his homemade lunch.

"How did you're half detention go with Mme Goulash?" Wufei asked without looking at Duo.

"Ha, hahaha," Duo wrinkled his nose and opened his bag. He pulled out his lunch, peeked inside and snorted. "Ew. Leftovers. Want to trade?"

"No Maxwell," Wufei looked over distastefully at the lumpy pasta or something sitting on Duo's lunch bag. "It would not be a fair trade today."

Duo sighed. He almost pushed the food away but his stomach growled. He growled back and looked waveringly at the food. Then, he picked up the plastic fork Sister Helen had placed in his lunch bag and shoved the orange mass into his mouth quickly. Wufei shifted away as the food rapidly disappeared into Duo's mouth. When the last of the food was gone Duo put down the fork and took a gulp from his water bottle.

"Wu, do you have any money?" Duo asked smoothly. Wufei sighed and dug into his pocket for his wallet. He handed Duo a five-dollar bill. His long-haired friend was up and cutting the lunch line almost before he could snag

the money. Wufei just sighed and looked back to his own lunch.

Today was a little different as they had hired new staff. When they dumped slop on Duo's paper plate, they smiled. It was a refreshing change. He shoved through his second lunch as he pulled out his notebook.

//"We'll see about that," Duo glared and turned to march to Zechs's office. Wufei trotted smugly behind him. Duo stood in front of the large heavy wood door and knocked angrily. There was no reply. Duo frowned and knocked again. Still nothing. He pressed his ear to the door and heard some shuffling and scrambling.

"I know you're in there Zechs!" Duo yelled, unsure if he could be heard through the think door if Zechs was at the very end of his office. He was about to turn to Wufei to ask for his help when the door was wrenched open.//

Duo stopped writing and snorted. He covered his mouth as Wufei looked strangely at him. Duo tried to be quiet but his shoulders shook.

"Is something wrong Maxwell?" Wufei asked annoyed at the interruption. He placed down his book open on the table and folded his hands as he waited in mock patience for the answer.

"No, nothing, I just-" he snorted again. "I just got a funny mental picture, that's all!"

Wufei looked at him with a funny tilt to his eyes. "O…k…"

Duo glared and put his hands on his hips. "Don't look at me like I'm strange! I just thought that if I put Miss Noin and Mr Merquese together…" Duo snorted again, Wufei just rolled his eyes. "You see when Mr Merquese reads this… I'd sort of like to walk away from this assignment."

Wufei shrugged. "Imply that they are together. Always make sure you can back out of it with a 'But sir, that's not what I meant.'"

Duo thought about it then grinned evilly. He placed his pencil back on the paper.

//There was a woman standing in the open door. Her hair was a little messed and her shirt hastily tucked in. She grinned sheepishly and tried to go around Duo. Wufei caught her arm.

"I have seen you, you are the head cook, are you not?" Wufei asked curiously.

"Yes, that's me," she bowed. Duo was a little shocked to finally notice the breeches she wore instead of a dress. She darted away before he could ask her why. Duo shrugged and walked boldly into the office.

It was a long room with a huge table piled with scrolls, books, ink holders, pens and other various record-keeping items around. Quatre chuckled at the primitive quill pens.

"Zechs," Duo glared at the long blonde-haired man. His hair was hastily tied back with several strands looks and his cheeks were faintly red.

"Prince Duo, how can I help you?"

"This!" Duo waved a hand vaguely in Wufei's direction. Wufei scowled at being called an inanimate object but kept his thoughts to himself. "It's following me around!"

Wufei's scowl grew deeper. Zechs glanced over at the angry Chinese guard and shrugged.

"What about him Prince Duo?" Wufei's stance relaxed at being addressed by his gender.

"He's following me around!" Duo slammed his hands on the table. "He just won't leave me alone! Why did you tell him to do that, I can't have any fun anymore!"

"Your father and I discussed it," Zechs sighed. "We both agreed it was too dangerous to have you wandering around alone with no escort. The Empire was willing to extend a guard to satisfy your safety and you should be grateful."

Duo leaned back on his heels and crossed his arms, a scowl on his face. "Fine, but he can't keep me from going anywhere I want to!"

"Very well," Zechs sighed. "Cadet Chang, your authorisation to refuse the prince's decisions is hearby revoked. Now, would you leave please? Miss Noin and I are not finished with discussing the menu for tonight's dinner."

Duo smirked and turned on his heel. Wufei scowled and quietly followed his out. Quatre only barely made it out the door before it closed.//

"Five minutes Maxwell," Wufei closed his book and slipped it back into his bag. Duo sighed and stopped writing. He set his things back in his bag and rested his head on his hands as he watched Wufei put away his book.

"So. Wu-Chang," Duo said. "How are things going?"

"They are going quite well," Wufei zipped up his bag and placed it over his shoulders. "But it won't be going so well with Mrs Vitti is through with me next period. My art isn't expressive enough and she feels the need to make an example of my work and what not to do every day. I believe you have a class with Miss Nion next."

Duo groaned and hid his hands. "And I have to apologise to Quatre. I think I hurt his feelings when I told him he couldn't read my story. Damn it."

"I'm sure you will have a more pleasant time in History then Math," Wufei picked up Duo's bag and hulled him to his feet by his elbow. He placed the light bag in his hands and gave him a slight push to the door as the first bell ran. "Shoo Maxwell."

Duo swung his bag on his back and slowly walked out of the cafe. He wandered through the hall, not really stopping to talk to anyone but acting like he was. It was about that time the second and last bell rang that Duo panicked. He had been going in the general direction of his class, thank God. He hiked up his bag and rang down the empty hallways, receiving several angry looks from the grade nine teachers. He skidded in his class only a few minutes late. Miss Nion looked to see who burst through the door, rolled her eyes and continued writing on the blackboard. Duo settled down in his seat and pulled out his math binder.

"There will be a review test on the last chapter we have been doing. Try to look over these questions. For the rest of the period just get together with your math partner and try to finish your projects, they are due next week. Out of school topics are a prohibited, not optional."

Duo quickly took his binder to the back of the class and settled in Quatre's extra desk. He smiled but it dropped sadly when he saw how angry Quatre was with him. The blonde's lips were pressed in a tight line and his big blue eyes were shining a bit too much. Duo sighed and ran and hand through his bangs and he thought quickly. Quatre was his friend and he wanted nothing more then to make him happy. Quatre opened to the project he handled and said in his professional tone. "I will explain the basics of what I have done with the project-"

Before the next sentence was out, a worn, frayed notebook was dumped on top of the neatly written notes. Quatre looked up surprised. Duo smiled apologetically.

"I'm sorry about this morning. I wasn't sure if you would like it. Um, you can read it now and I'll look over the project so I'll know what's going on, ok? Just, don't take it too seriously."

Quatre's eyes grew misty and he leaned over and hugged Duo hard. "It will be perfect Duo, I just know it!"

Then he eagerly turned to the first page and excitedly started to read. Duo shook his head smiling and took the binder from Quatre's desk. His brow furrowed as he started to interpret the carefully recorded numbers and gaining no success. He spent most of the period on it and ignored the little giggles and gasps from Quatre. Nearing the end of the class, Miss Nion wandered over to them. Duo had opened to a blank piece of paper and was doodling.

"Mr Maxwell, are you spending you and your partner's time to talk about school work?"

"Yes miss," Duo grinned. "Why would you think otherwise? Quatre is giving me his opinion on a problem I have been having at school and I am designing some covers for our project!"

"I see," Miss Nion raised her eyebrow and moved on. Quatre turned gaped openly at Duo.

"What ever happened to, 'My name is Duo Maxwell-'"

"I run and hide but never tell a lie?" Duo laughed. "Well technically you are looking over a problem Mr Merquese gave me, school work no less and these little stick guys may one day inspire a cover for our math project!"

Quatre shook his head and looked back at the book. He read the next paragraph and gasped again. The bell rang.

Quatre shoved the notebook back into Duo's hands and grabbed his binder with a pink tinge on his cheeks. He shoved it in his bag and rang. Duo looked at his curiously, Quatre was one for neatness. He looked at the paragraph Quatre had read.

//"He's just so fucking hot!"//

Duo gulped nervously and hastily tucked it back in his bag. His eyes met with another student when he looked up.

"Um, I think you have another class to go to," the grade ten said smoothly and pointed at the clock. The second bell rang.

"Shit!" Duo tore out of the room scattering kids left and right. Miss Nion just glared in his general direction.

'Just great,' Duo thought as is feet thudded along the almost empty hallway. 'Great. Without Trowa to get my books it's gonna take extra long. Hell, it's only History, maybe Sister Helen won't mind that much…' All the lectures Du had gotten as a young kid in elementary came back to him. He shuddered and saw his locker ahead. Not even bothering to slow down, he planted his feet and skidded until he hit the door. His hand was already scrabbling at the lock and he yanked the door open.

He dropped his bag in, not even stopping to see what fell over on the perfectly organised shelf. His History textbook and binder firmly under his arm, he slammed the locker shut, clipped the lock and was off running again. He was passing his math class again when it hit him that his pencil case was in his bag.

'Screw it,' he thought quickly. He still had a bit of ground to cover until he reached his history class. He slid down the banister, ignoring the look of confusion from the kids on spare and panted as he saw his History door in sight. He slowed down this time, stopped to calm his heart a bit and opened the door. Dekim was waiting with a satisfied smirk.

"Mr Maxwell, what a pleasure of you to join us."

'You wish you dirty old man,' Duo vowed silently. Outloud he said, "I'm sorry sir, I had locker trouble."

"That's quite all right, though I due believe it's a detention, isn't it? Please take Miss Relena's seat, right up here with me."

Duo shuddered at the old man's smirk and reluctantly took the seat that the ginger-haired girl got up from. Dekim was about to start the lesson up again when the door opened once more. Duo looked surprised at the person standing there.

"I'm sorry I am late Mr Barton," Sally said politely. "I am substituting for Mr Merquese while he is away. He was assigned to serve his quarter class here and I am filling in."

Duo frowned, that wasn't how things worked. If the teacher couldn't make their quarter they couldn't get a supply to do it for them. Right? Dekim frowned too but didn't say anything. She walked to the front of the room and sat in the desk beside Duo. She winked at him and opened her binder to mark some grade nine tests. Duo frowned when he realised he couldn't write with out his pen and opened his binder to make it seem like he was taking down the slow boring notes Dekim was reciting from the textbook. He felt his eyes droop and his hand clatter to his desk. No one noticed.

He looked over and was shocked to see Sally starting to doze off. He had always assumed teachers were immune to their and their fellow teacher's speeches. Deciding that if Sally fell asleep it was perfectly all right for him too, he tuned out on the dialogue Dekim was saying. He rested his head on his hands, his half-closed eyes automatically following the rhythmic move of Dekim's hand following the words on the page and the droning of his high voice. His eyes shut completely and he felt very relaxed. What was the point of this class? All year they never had an assignment or test or even a different unit. It was the same reading from the textbook day in day out. He sighed and felt the outside world fade out.

***

"Mr Maxwell!" a squeaky voice rang sharply though Duo's ears. His eyes snapped open and he looked around confused. His eyes eventually focused on Dekim's face above his own. Duo jumped back in his seat causing the front legs of his chair to leave the floor then thump back down with a bang.

"Um, yes sir?" Duo asked shakily.

"Why do you bother coming to my class if you find it so boring?"

Duo glanced around the room and saw the rest of the class zoned out or asleep too. He glared at the teacher and said angrily. "But sir, I'm not the only one asleep! Why don't you wake up Daisy too sir?"

"I'm setting an example Mr Maxwell!" Dekim yelled. Duo realised Sally was awake now too and was listening with interest.

"To who?" Duo yelled and rose from his seat to be eye to eye with the teacher. He had finally snapped. He was tired, he was angry, he was annoyed. For three months he endured the torture Dekim bestowed on him during class with obvious delight and the lustful looks in the hallways or after class. He had tolerated them because he had been given worse by more sinister characters. But this was the last fucking straw! "Everybody is asleep sir! Would you please get on with the lesson so I can too!"

"Mr Maxwell, this is inappropriate behaviour! You have an hour long detention after this class. Now sit down and start to take this down!"

Duo glared, many insults and hateful remarks sitting on the tip of his tongue but the lectures of Sister Helen rose in his mind again. He slowly sat back down, his eyes glittering murderously. There was a well of hatred boiling slowing, threatening to burst. Dekim smirked with an underlying message that chilled Duo. Duo slumped down in his seat, and curled his hands into fists. He was barely seeing straight as he watched his hands tremble and tried to calm the raging breaths he felt escape his lungs. He felt a hand on his shoulder and it was all he could do not to wheel and punch the person as hard as he could, just to give off a physical valve for his fury.

"Why don't you go and get a drink Duo?" Sally said kindly. "There's still half an hour left."

Duo nodded curtly, too angry and too disgusted to feel grateful. He stood and stalked out of the room while Sally explained to Dekim where he was going.

Duo blazed past the students hanging around the front staircase on their spares and burst into the sickly pale blue washroom. He splashed cold water on his face in an attempt to calm down but it wasn't working. He remembered the way Dekim had smirked and slammed his hands down on the sink. It cracked. He ignored the thin blood trickles on his hands as they left a smear on the marble sink.

Still feeling a bloodlust in him, he left the bathroom to the gyms. There was only one thing that would stop him from killing someone. When he reached Gym 3, he glanced inside. Sure enough, Wufei and Trowa were in there. It was self-defence month with Mr Yang and the whole class was partnered up. Wufei and Trowa threw light punches and kicks at each other. Trowa wasn't specially trained so Duo could clearly see Wufei was taking it easy. Making a quick sweep to see the teacher was out of the gym, Duo opened the door and slipped inside. He tapped Wufei on his shoulder.

"Maxwell?" Wufei asked surprised when he saw the gleaming spite burning in Duo's violet eyes. "What's wrong?"

"You and me, right now," Duo said, his voice barely keeping from cracking in rage. When Wufei still looked surprised, Duo swung an unsuspecting punch at Wufei's head. The Chinese boy barely ducked in time. Trowa might not be trained but Duo still had street fight experience on his side. His young life may have been blocked out but his instincts weren't. When Wufei didn't respond, Duo flew at him with another hard punch. It landed on Wufei's jaw this time. See that Duo wasn't joking, Wufei slipped into a well-practised stance while moving his sore jaw back and forth to make sure it wasn't broken. Duo felt better already.

Duo growled and grinned. Finally. The rest of the class stopped and turned to watch the fight. Wufei started the next attack with a hard roundhouse kick. Duo ducked low and responded with his own low kick trying to knock Wufei down. It was a flurry of fast punches and kicks from then on. Wufei had to think rapidly while he blocked attacks and delivered his own. He knew nothing that would make Duo this angry. He never spoke of his period 6 class.

They were both sweating hard and Duo was panting but he wasn't giving up yet. Eventually though, one of Wufei's kicks made him fly a bit and land hard on the mats. Duo lay still for a minute and Wufei looked up from his stance, worried that he had hurt his friend. Duo looked up and smirked, blood dribbling from his lip. He dove at Wufei again.

A few minutes later, Mr Yang returned. He pushed through the crowd of students and saw the fight.

"Boys, break it off!" he grabbed Duo. He struggled to pull the boy off of Wufei but they were all ready too caught up to think straight. Trowa grabbed Wufei and together Mr Yang and Trowa managed to pull them apart. Duo struggled for a minute then slowed and stopped, exhausted. Mr Yang let him go so he fell to his knees on the blue mat, panting his fatigue.

"What the hell was that about!" Mr Yang yelled, red in the face. "I expected better of you Chang-"

"It's not his fault," Duo panted, his head still down and he drove air into his aching lungs. "I started it. I just needed to relieve some stress."

"Some stress my ass," Mr Yang yelled. "Not in my class! Mr Barton, take this guy and wash him up! Wufei, you spar with me!"

Trowa lifted Duo to his feet and slung the younger teen's arm over his shoulder. He wrapped a hand around Duo's waist and together they hobbled off to the washrooms. Trowa set Duo on the ground to catch his breath and wet a paper towel. Duo took it from him gratefully and wiped his forehead.

"Thanks Tro," Duo said drained. Trowa just nodded and grabbed a paper cup from the machine. He filled it with the water from the fountain and handed it to Duo. He gulped it with thanks and slowly his breath came back to him.

"So," Trowa said quietly. "What was that about?"

Duo glared at the floor as he remembered his reason for fighting Wufei in the first place. He wiped his bloody lip to calm him first.

"No reason."

Trowa raised an eyebrow but dropped the topic as Duo touched his eye. It was going to be black tomorrow. Duo drew his legs under him and shakily stood up. He smiled at Trowa and said cheekily, "I guess you'd better be back and rescue 'Fei. See ya Trowa!"

Duo left on what felt like rubber legs to return to his class. He stopped outside the door, drew a deep breath and knocked on the door to be left back in. The dismissal bell rang. He was almost run over by the rest of the class's hurry to leave. He jumped out of the way just in time and walked in to get his books. His legs felt like they were going to give out on him.

"Mr Maxwell, follow me to my office to serve your detention," Dekim said, smiling in a secretive way that make Duo's rage boil anew.

"Actually Mr Barton," Sally slid around him and handed Duo his books. "Duo and I all ready have an appointment. I guess he will just have to serve it another time."

Dekim glared at the smiling female teacher and nodded rudely. "See me on your lunch tomorrow Mr Maxwell. This class."

Duo followed Sally out of the class quickly. As soon as they cleared the hall, and were relatively away from people, Sally grabbed his shoulder and turned Duo to face her.

"I thought you went for a drink," she remarked blandly, and touched his eye and lip.

"It put up a great fight," Duo glared and dared her to pry.

"I see," she half-smiled wearily. "Make sure the, ah, 'sink' gets the proper apology for a beating ok?"

"Yes miss," Duo grumbled. "Can I go to my locker? I can't miss my bus."

"Of course," Sally stepped out of his way. "Be my guest."

Duo glared at the ground, still too angry at Dekim to speak much or smile. He reached his locker to see Trowa fixing the last of his mess. He sighed.

"Sorry Tro, I was in a hurry."

"That's all right," Trowa said and stood up. He hiked his bag up and turned to face his smaller friend. "Wufei is a bit miffed, I suggest you call him and apologise."

Duo pasted a grin on his face and saluted as Trowa turned and walked away. Duo threw his History in and scrabbled around until he had all the right books in his bag. He closed the locker and left with the rest of the school to find his bus easily. He settled in his seat near the back and waited for Solo to come. While he stared out at the other kids, he drew his knees up to rest on the seat in front of him. He silently second-guessed himself. Again.

It was strange. He may run and hide he would but never tell a lie. Trowa had never been over to his house, Quatre too. Even Wufei and Merian didn't know where he lived. Dorothy did, she had been his best friend forever and had

practically grown up with him. He had brought Heero there shortly after they had started dating. He hadn't even told Dorothy and Heero about Dekim though. He sighed and rested his head against the cold glass. It had been like this forever. Once, when he was in grade 3, one of the younger kids from the Church broke the scared rule and told his enemies where he lived. He told them he was an orphan. He had mysteriously turned up in the hospital the next day. He didn't make it and there was no police investigation.

Maybe I should tell Wufei where he lived. It would sure beat the half-ass excuses he usually made when he said they couldn't go to his house. Fortunately, Wufei never asked why he called his mother Sister Helen and his father, Father Maxwell. He had managed to hide it for a few years but for some reason he felt that control slipping through his fingers.

Duo felt Solo sit beside him and felt a flash of anger. Guiltily he pushed it down. He hadn't felt this way since, well since he had met Heero. It had been years since this side of him showed up. It wasn't a good feeling. The bus started to pull out and Duo decided to calm down with some writing. After some tricky manoeuvring, he had his pencil and notebook out. He felt his unbearable emotions draining out of him as he started to write.

//Duo smirked and turned on his heel. Wufei scowled and quietly followed his out. Quatre only barely made it out the door before it closed. Duo had his way and Wufei was not happy. He had so for been able to tell the prince obviously did things he shouldn't and that made him angry. He was supposed to keep the prince from deliberately putting himself in danger? What kind of a job was that?

"A job I have to endure," Wufei grumbled.

"Did you say something Wu?" Duo asked over his shoulder as he led the way to the next unknown destination.

"No Prince Duo," Wufei said formally without emotion though he was scowling. Duo frowned at the sudden formality but brushed it off. He walked out the back of the stone castle into the training area. This time, instead of heading to the archery range, he headed to the warm up ring by the stables. He settled back and watched a figure mount a tall grey. The horse was young with rolling eyes and Duo felt a flash of alarm run through him. If this was one of the prince's it could potentially be an international incident. He was about to call out when the rider settled in the saddle and the stallion stiffened. His legs stuck out awkwardly as he bucked. The rider wasn't fazed. The grey corkscrewed in the air, twisting and wheeling with a fury as the rider moved with him. Duo watched fascinated by the unusual display of horsemanship. Eventually, the grey tired himself out and Duo sighed disappointed when he slowed to stand still.

The rider moved the horse along. Now, with a respect of his rider, the stallion behaved and began to moved easily around the ring at a trot, then a canter and finally a long lope. Quatre was amazed at the new sport. He leaned over and poked Duo.

"That's a horse right?"

"Yea," Duo whispered so Wufei wouldn't hear him.

"Not a centaur or unicorn?" Quatre asked eagerly, his eyes shining.

"Um, yea," Duo said and looked puzzled over at Quatre. Wufei rolled his eyes and crossed his arms.

"I want to do that!" Quatre said, his eyes bright as he watched the rider move to a free gallop.

"Someday," Duo whispered absently as the rider slowed and patted the grey on his neck. She dismounted and handed the horse to a groom near by. Duo watched as they removed their helmet. Long, loose blonde hair fell down and Dorothy Catolonia ran a hand over her sweat forehead. She turned and saw Duo sitting on the grass gaping. She winked and turned back to walk into the shade of the stable. Duo gulped as he watcher her swaying hips. How the hell was he going to choose?//

"Duo," Solo poked Duo as the bus slowed. "It's time to get off."

The emptiness Duo had retreated too was shattered. He didn't' answer but tightened his jaw until it hurt. He grabbed his bag and followed Solo and Matt off the bus. They waited until the bus was out of sight then hurried to the hidden side door on the Church. With a hasty brush off of Hilde and scowl in all the other kid's direction, he left Sister Helen to ask Solo what was wrong. He walked into his tiny room and threw his bag on the floor. He flopped on his bed and opened his notebook again.

// Duo gulped as he watcher her swaying hips. How the hell was he going to choose?

Wufei ignored the prince and looked around, pretending to try and see danger. It wasn't until his ears picked up a familiar voice.

"Thank you sir," a female's voice sounded from behind the stable. "My master thanks you."

Wufei frowned and tried to see the owner of the voice. It was the same on in the room at the end of the hidden staircase. The one that had been talking in the mirror. Wufei felt an uneasy feeling as he couldn't see the woman. He scowled when he suddenly realised even if there was something he couldn't do anything. His frown deepened. Was it his problem that all he was now was a final defence line between the prince and a poisoned dagger?//