Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ My Own Prison ❯ Major problems in the brain department... ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Not mine! If they were I would be gallavanting in the tropics with them, not writing fics to appease my dirty habits…

Warnings: none really, but this was a 1+2, and it changes halfway through. Maybe a 2+?. Almost a deathfic…almost. I just couldn't do it to our poor Duo-kun.

Bold=Lyrics

//=Thoughts

A court is in session

A verdict is in

No appeal on the docket today

Just my own sin

I had no idea why I was here. The judge decided that my sins were unforgiveable and threw me in here. It's actually not that bad. I always thought it'd be worse. //I really wish I wasn't here…//

The walls are cold and pale

The cage made of steel

Screams fill the room

Alone I drop and kneel

The cell they have me in must've been made just for me. I can't find any way out. //If Heero was here he could help me…// I can hear someone farther away, probably in another cell. Their screams keep me company now at night. I only hear them when I think about it. I wonder what Sister Helen and Father Maxwell are up to. I kneel on the hard granite floor and wait for the answer…

Silence now the sound

My breath the only motion around

Demons cluttering around

My face showing no emotion

…but I never get one. I sigh heavily and frown at the sight of my own breath. It's too cold in here. Maybe they're trying to freeze me to death. I grab my braid and hold it tight to my chest. //At least they didn't take you away…// My toes are frozen and my hands hurt. I can't feel my pinkies. The one voice in my head tells me that I won't make it. What does he know anyways? When it gets really bad, the voices get louder. More arrive to create a chorus of unholy sounds. I have to grin and bear it, like Trowa used to say. I wonder what they're up to. Having fun I guess. I think about them, but my destroyed mind won't let me smile.

Shackled by my sentence

Expecting no return

Here there is no penance

My skin begins to burn

The cold iron they put around my feet and hands feels almost weightless now. I can walk in a small circle until the things bring me down. //I don't think I'll ever get out of here…// I wish God would help me out, but hey, what have I done for Him lately? I killed people, in the name of peace mind you. But He wouldn't help me out now. I don't really expect anything from Him. It's so cold. My skin feels like it's on fire. Maybe it is, and this is Hell. No. Hell is what I've put my teammates through because of my killing nature. I wish I could take everything back Heero. //I miss you so much…// I have to see you again…

So I held my head up high

Hiding hate that burns inside

Which only fuels their selfish pride

I have to get out of here…I need to see Quatre's laughing face, and Trowa's abrupt smiles. Wufei and his cooking. Heero. I just need to be near Heero. I need to see his shining face and the way he looked at me when I first saw him…and Treize…I can't hate Treize for what happened. He did what he had to do. I can't let my hate take me over. I'm better than that. //I hate you Treize…// The selfish bastard. He only wanted what he thought was his. Heero was not his. I hate him for what he made me do, but if I truly hate them, doesn't that make me just as bad?

We're all held captive

Out from the sun

A sun that shines on only some

We the meek are all in one

I sometimes think that if I'd had a normal childhood, none of this would have happened. The way the scientists took us away from our lives, we were almost being held captive. In space the sun shines bright, but when you're stuck in an isolation chamber for three years of your life, you don't see much of it. I guess the sun only shines for the important people. Like OZ. Pah. OZ. They've caused me nothing but grief. If I'm not in the immediate circle, I guess then, I'm meek. I can't control being part of the inner being. Who really cares anyways?

I hear a thunder in the distance

See a vision of a cross

I feel the pain that was given

On that sad day of loss

I can hear the shouting. Men fighting for their freedom in the hallways of this desolate hole. If only those soldiers would've let me keep my chain. You know, the one with the cross on it? I could use some faith right about now. Not from God, but from anyone who's listening. My door just opened. An OZ soldier grabs me by the hair and tells me to stand. When I hesitate, he kicks me in the side. Any pain I have felt before this never compared. My lungs hurt, and my side felt like it had been torn open. Now I know how Jesus felt. Where he's taking me, I don't know. Somewhere worse, I assume. He opens a door on the far left of the main staircase, and I find myself thrown across the room. I land on a bed of straw, and am greeted by a familiar face.

A lion roars in the darkness

Only he holds the key

A light to free me from by burden

And grant me life eternally

I see…Treize. Treize?! But he's dead. I killed him myself. He sits quietly in the corner waiting for me to move. I step closer and he holds his hands up. Surrender? You surrender Treize? To who? Me? But I already killed you. You aren't even here. I'm seeing things. I rub my eyes and look again. He's not there. But in the place where he was "sitting", there is a key lying there. I pick it up before the guard sees it and I stick it in my hair. I pretend to pass out, and I'm taken back to my cell. When I "regained consciousness", I picked the key out from my mane, and set to work on the shackles. After about three hours worth of trying, the locks won't budge. I look more carefully at the key and I find something I didn't see before. Words. Written on a small piece of paper. Taped around the handle. Very small, but legible. I squint my eyes and try to decipher them…

Duo,

I know you think I am dead, but pay that no mind. I am here to help you through this. It may not be much, but it will help you cope with your sadness and loss. Heero is happy. He is with Wufei and he takes good care of him. It took Quatre and Trowa a little longer to forget about you, but they did it. They think you have been held prisoner and executed. If you try to escape now, you would just hurt them further. I trust you will heed my words and stay where you are. Look at the key more carefully and see for yourself. I hope you understand.

Treize K.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Treize had written this himself! He knew what was going to happen. Right? He couldn't have written this lately. He's dead. But he said to forget it. Look more carefully at the key? What's so big about the k…? Hey! What's this? I stuck my pointer finger out and ran it along the edge. Ouch! Razor sharp. But…Treize doesn't want me to…no. He doesn't mean…what I think he means. Kill myself?!

I felt a wetness on my cheeks. Was I crying? How long had it been since I'd cried? The Maxwell Church? Yeah, I think so. That was a long time ago. Treize said that Heero was happy. Maybe I should listen to him and just stay here for a few hundred years. Yeah, maybe. Or should I use the blade on myself? I just can't think! I sat against the rear wall and decided to doze for a while. About two hours later, from what I can tell, I was woken up by keys rattling in my cell door. I was not ready for what I saw.

Should have been dead

On a Sunday morning

Banging my head

No time for mourning

Ain't got no time

A vision stood there, dressed in black and red. His flowing white hair stood out against bronze skin. He stepped over to me. I thought I was dreaming. His voice was gentle, but it was one I couldn't place. //I'm sure I've heard his voice before. But where?// "Come." He said to me. He held out his hand and I took it. Strong muscles there. We walked out of the cell. The guards were fast asleep on the floor. The angel and I walked away from the OZ compound and rested in a grove near our last safehouse. I was so exhausted from the trip that I promptly passed out.

I awoke to orders being barked. Someone was being yelled at for something. I looked around and saw familiar surroundings. Yellow curtains. Blue bedsheets. Purple carpet? I immediately thought…Quatre. No sooner had I thought it, then the man himself walked in.

"Duo!" He yelled. "You're awake!" He came over and hugged me so tight I thought my eyes had bugged out. "Hey guys! Duo's awake!"

The other pilots joined the melee and couldn't stop asking questions. After trying my best to answer them all, I had one to ask.

"Quatre? Who brought me here? I remember seeing someone in my cell last night, and he brought me to that grove over there." I pointed out the window. "He never told me his name, but his voice was really familiar. I wish I knew who it was."

"I couldn't tell you Duo." Answered Quatre. "When I got up to go to the bathroom at about 2:00 this morning, you were lying on the floor in the livingroom. Apparently, whoever brought you here, knew the security system of this house. I never heard anything."

I had no idea who my saviour was. If God could only tell me…but I think he would choose not to. I haven't been particularly faithy lately. I know I'm safe now, until the next time we're raided by OZ soldiers. I would just like to see him for a minute to thank him, or just to see him. It was dark that night. Maybe I should just be thankful that I'm not dead, and I should forget about everything that's happened. I think that's a good idea. I carefully snuck back under the covers and watched out the window. Maybe he'll come back for me…

"I will be back for you Duo." Said the mysterious man. "If it takes me another year to find you, it will be worth it. Don't forget about me." He stepped off of the balcony and jumped into his waiting mobile suit. The red machine roared to life and took off into the night. But it didn't leave unnoticed by a certain long haired pilot who couldn't sleep.

"Zechs?!…"

I cry out to God

Seeking only his decision

Gabriel stands and confirms

I've created my own prison

A/N~What'd you think? I think maybe Duo needs his eyes checked more often. Maybe there'll be a sequel, but it's highly doubtful. Anyhoo, comments and/or criticisms are appreciated! //_~