Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Past to Future ❯ Prologue

[ A - All Readers ]

Pizza Hut was steady that Friday night, tables and carryouts coming and going all evening. At around nine, nine-thirty, business tapered off in the dinning room allowing the servers to start the nightly clean up early. The two servers, Emily Roberts and Stephanie Pierce, worked as a team as they flipped and refilled the salad bar and cleaned off all the empty tables, chitchatting the whole time about boys, school, and life. The one or two usual tables talked amongst themselves as they ate or waited on their food. In the back the cooks, David Wood and Johnny Nien, and the cashier, Brittany Burrell, chatted while they worked on the dishes that had piled up during the main dinner rush. Laughter floated out to the customers from the kitchen as David sprayed water at Brittany with one of the sink faucet heads. “DAVID!”
Emily and Stephanie looked at each other and snickered. “David! Quit flirting with Brittany!”
“Not funny Emily!” Brittany yelled back at her. “David! I swear if you spray me again I'm so gonna hurt you!” Seconds later Brittany walked out of the back with her pants wet from the knees down and an `I'm gonna kill him' look on her face to assist a customer. “Can I help you ma'am?”
“I have a carry-out order.”
“Last name.”
“Carter.”
“Your total is $31.49.” Brittany took the order out of Hinny-Penny as Ms. Carter counted out her money. After Ms. Carter had paid for her order Brittany turned to the servers. “Emily, Steph, can one of you check the shakers and fill those that need it?”
“I'll do it if you don't mind wiping down the tables and setting out the silverware Steph.” Emily picked up the load of dirty dishes from the last of her empty tables and headed to the back.
“That's fine by me Emily. Don't forget you have the next table.” Steph followed her with her own load of dishes for the guys.
“I know.” Suddenly Emily slipped on a spatula on the tiled floor. The sound of crashing dishes covered the crack of her head hitting the floor when she landed. The last thing she heard was Stephanie yelling her name...
The hum of machinery was the first thing to register as her mind crawled out of the fog it had been trapped in. Minutes passed as feeling gradually returned to her body. Garbled voices slowly became clearer as she returned to the land of the living. “... Actually worked! She's finally waking up!”
`Ugh... what hit me?'
“I wonder if she will remember anything from her life? I mean she's been in stasis for... ” The voices fade out as one of the machines begins beeping loudly. The loud noise caused her mind to shut down and she fell back asleep. The next time she woke up the room was almost completely dark except for the monitoring equipment. Slowly the girl sat up an took a look around her. From the faint light emitting from the equipment she registered that she was hooked up to a drip of some sort and also to basic life support/monitoring equipment. The bed she was in had rails on either side and each end for safety. On top of the sheet was a military issued scratchy blanket to keep her warm. A chair sat next to the bed and across the room was a closed door. A second door, probably the bathroom, was to her left.
“Where am I?” Suddenly the main door opened and light from the hall streamed in. The girl instinctively covered her eyes until they had adjusted to the light change.
“Good morning miss. How are you feeling?” The girl looked up to see a small old man with a mushroom hairstyle. He walked over to one of machines and skimmed over the readout and jotted some notes down in a file he held. The man turned towards her and checked the IV line in her arm.
“Who... where... what...?” The girl tried to ask him a question but she didn't know where to start.
The man seemed to understand her problem. “My name is Doctor G. My colleagues and I were able to save your life from an accident that happened many years ago. As to where we are, we are on one of the moon colonies in J's lab.”
“That's... that's impossible. No one's been back to the moon since the 1960's when Neil Armstrong walked on it.” She told him, shaking her head in denial.
G understood that she would not understand what had happened in the years she had been asleep and felt sorry for her. “I will explain in a moment what has happened since your accident in a moment but I would like to know your name miss. If you do not remember that is okay.”
“It's Emily. Emily... I can't... I can't remember my last name.”
“That's okay Emily. As I said I will do my best to explain what has happened since your accident. After you cracked your head, your body completely shut down all functions except those performed by the critical organs. You went into some sort of stasis and stopped aging. After five years your family gave you into the care of the federal government with the understanding that if anything changed they would be informed immediately. Years passed and no one was able to find out why your body reacted as it had or why you never aged. To date this is the first time you have reacted to any stimulus in almost 800 years. Much time has passed as you slept.”
Emily couldn't believe her ears. 800 years! How could it be possible? Was she really 800 years in future? If so what happened to her family?