Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Phases of Memory ❯ La Pathetique ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I never have and I never will own Gundam Wing. I'm not that fortunate. :P And of course, the "negative content" in this story isn't too much different from PG-13 movies.

AN: I'm originally writing this on September 1, 2002. I went to AXNY (Anime Expo New York) only yesterday and I got to see Yoko Kanno, Toshihiro Kawamoto, and Shinichiro Watanabe! *claps* I was able to attend the panel session where fans can ask any questions about Cowboy Bebop and their work on other projects. Unfortunately, I was unable to get an autograph from them even though I waited on the line for over an hour!!! -_-;;;; That's just how many people that were there. *sighs* I hope they'll come back again another year and THEN I can get an autograph. *has a starry hopeful look in her eyes*

My only consolation was that I took pictures of Kanno-sama, Watanabe-sama, and Kawamoto-sama during the panel, getting Rachael Lillis' autograph (who is of course of Utena and Pokemon fame), and everyone that couldn't get an autograph got a free CB movie poster as an apology from the convention. But enough of this…

Gundam Wing: Phases of Memory

Phase 11: La Pathetique

By Sailor Celaeno

Duo and Hilde were very fortunate that Wufei and Sally were able to get enough evidence to link the fake Ida Holland to PAGE. The subpoena allowed Hilde to analyze the computer. Duo was disappointed that he couldn't go on a bust like Wufei did, but he was pacified as he thought about how he'd have time to be with Hilde. Hilde was excited at getting so much information out of this computer. "We hit the jackpot!" she squealed.

Duo kissed her. "What's on there?"

"This computer has lots of access codes. We could probably track down this Cassandra-woman that we're after." Hilde turned back to her computer. "It says here that she has several aliases. Martha Young… Ursula Richbach…"

"Maybe we can run checks on women using those names," Duo suggested.

"My thoughts exactly Duo." Hilde kept typing on the desk top. "This is just crazy. Genetically altered children… eco-terrorists… and a crazy scientist running around scot-free. I can't wait until we solve this case."

Duo nodded his head as she spoke. "I know how you feel. This is beyond disturbing."

*****

Nichola aimed and pulled the trigger. The bullet whizzed by Trowa's head. It was so close that his bangs fluttered slightly from the bullet's trail. He just stared at his car door for a moment. He heard footsteps behind him. He turned around and stared at Nichola. "Why are you walking away?"

Nichola stopped. Just as Trowa had done long ago when they were children. The feeling of déjà vu hit him in the stomach like a blow, she didn't face him as she replied. "I remembered… just for a moment… I remembered someone walked away like this." She walked a few more steps before she stopped again. "The one who sent me is called Kelly Gallagher."

Trowa only stood watching as she walked away and out of his life, effectively parting them once again.

*****

Quatre woke up in the hospital again. He looked up and he could see Nova staring down at him with a blank face. But in her eyes he could see disapproval. "What happened?"

"You honestly don't remember what happened?" she replied.

Quatre frowned as the fuzzy images got clearer and he paled as he remembered the horrible dream. "I think I remember. But why am I in the hospital?"

"There was an explosion," she replied with quiet bluntness.

Quatre gasped, "You mean… and I…" She didn't need to say a word. In his own heart he knew. "Oh dear God, what have I done!" he broke into a panicky sweat.

Her stoic stance relaxed and she hugged him around his shoulders. "It was my fault. I should have been there sooner. None of this would happen."

Quatre kept crying with grief and guilt. "I killed people didn't I?"

"You don't need to worry about that. I took care of it."

Quatre looked at her with terror in his eyes. "What do you mean you took care of it?"

"This isn't the time to discuss this," countered Nova.

"I don't care. What did you mean?"

"Don't be stubborn Quatre Raberba Winner. Just know that you won't be blamed for something that you couldn't control. No one else will know that your powers were involved in those casualties."

"Casualties?" Quatre was shocked at her off-handed behavior. "Those were innocent people I've killed and you're just shrugging them off like nothing?"

"It is because of your empathic abilities that you can feel so sorry for strangers and people that would otherwise mean nothing to you. But you see Quatre, someone like me cannot be that way. As Sailor Celaeno I'm a powerful senshi. As the senshi of destiny, my purpose is to ensure that what must be shall be. I cannot let anything disturb the flow of history any more than Sailor Pluto can. We can't afford to care about the little things."

"The--- the little things?!" Quatre was incensed by her seemingly callous attitude.

"Yes. The little things," she continued stoically. "One human life or a million, Quatre. Sometimes people are sacrificed because as individuals, they are nothing. But it is because of their sacrifices that they make a difference. Can you understand that? If those people that died must die, than that must be. As a soldier, you had to kill. Why? You had a purpose. The purpose was so powerful and bigger than yourself, you would kill anyone that had to die for the mission. Even your own self. You risked your life for your mission. And if there were people in the way, than so be it. It is no different for me. I'm as expendable as anyone else. It's simply not my time. And it's not yours to be sent to jail."

Quatre was humbled. "You can die?"

"I'm in a physical body Quatre. My powers may protect me, but only from those weaker than me. Only one more powerful than myself shall be able to harm me. The Powers grant me that gift because I'm still useful to them. No other reason. As a soldier, you should understand that better than anyone else."

Quatre couldn't think of an argument. He sank back in his bed, but there was sorrow in his eyes. "I couldn't… I couldn't control it. I felt that power… I felt…

"Angry? Hateful? Yes, that's a source of power. You've felt that taste of hate and you saw what happened. You were afraid of your hate and you buried it inside your heart. Now that you've released that anger and hate, you will understand that the power comes from your heart, not your DNA. The DNA is just the light switch."

"I understand now. Can I ever have that power again?"

"Yes, but there's a price."

"I know…"

"More than that. You could kill yourself. You're only alive because…"

"Because?" asked Quatre.

"I kept you alive."

"How?" Quatre stared at her.

"The same way I took care of the casualties."

Quatre remained silent.

*****

Two days later…

Everyone had been preoccupied with the explosion investigation. It wasn't until two days later that anyone could visit. Heero came to tell Quatre the result of the investigation. He saw that Nova was in the room with Quatre. Dorothy was in the cafeteria getting something to eat at Nova's suggestion. "We determined that a bomb was planted in your building Quatre. That's what caused the explosion."

"A bomb?" Quatre had a perplexed look. "But I---"

"Are you sure it was a bomb, Heero?" Nova asked with natural concern.

Quatre looked at Nova like a child to its mother before waiting for Heero's answer. Heero pretended not to notice the momentary display. "We found bomb fragments. In fact they are similar to the ones found at PAGE targets."

Quatre was about to speak, but Nova spoke first. "PAGE? Why in the world would PAGE want to bomb an apartment building? They've been targeting genetics facilities."

Heero decided to watch Nova and play her little game. "That's the curious thing. Of course we had nearly forgotten about your company Nova."

"Mine?" Nova asked with surprise.

"Your philanthropy group has their hand in many different aspects of medicine and technology."

"Now Heero… you don't think that…" began Quatre.

Heero turned to his friend. "No, I'm not suspecting Nova or the other members at Pleiades. My point is that Une and the others are starting to suspect that PAGE is expanding their targets. They might trying to attack the money behind the funding. That may be why they bombed your building." Heero turned squarely to Nova. "It's quite possible, wouldn't you agree?"

Nova answered him back with a gaze of her own. "Of course Heero. It's quite possible… now that I see the connections."

"Of course," Heero said with some energy. Heero only stayed another few minutes before he left the room.

Quatre glanced over at Nova. "Just… what did you do… to save me?"

"Don't think about it Quatre. Don't look back on things that were out of your hands. That's just going to hurt you more than you need to feel.

Heero walked down the hallway. He waited for the elevator to take him back to the lobby. Nova knew everything, but of course she'd say nothing. He had to respect her for it. He'd do the same. But it bothered him still. Just what sort of game was she playing behind their backs? This was madness and he felt like he and the others were pawns, being manipulated by some master chess player. But was Nova that chess player. "Could she be another pawn too? Was this a game even beyond her?"

*****

Noin was watching the baby playing with Cottontail. Perhaps it was her imagination. It did seem strange just a few minutes after Annie began playing with Cottontail, Quatre's present, there was an explosion at Quatre's building. Perhaps it was just her imagination after all. A baby is a baby, and Miss Anastasia Peacecraft was a baby in every sense. Yet something in Noin's mind gave her an unsettled feeling. Was it possible that there was something more to her daughter than met the eye? Noin had to admit that Annie's birth wasn't normal. Not because she was delivered by caesarean section. After all, many babies had to be born that way. It was the fact that Annie was resurrected that was strange. Could something from that affect the child now? It can't be, after all Annie is a baby. What could be so unusual about a baby?

*****

Cassandra wasn't sure what to believe. It was impossible that this bombing could have been perpetrated by one of PAGE's cells. Nothing was done without her knowing or her permission. It wasn't possible. Someone framed PAGE, but it wouldn't matter whether PAGE denied responsibility or not. No one would believe that they weren't responsible. Besides Cass didn't care. It didn't change plans in the slightest.

"Cass," Phips called.

"What?" Cass retorted coldly at her lover.

"The boys said they found…" Phips cleared his throat, "… what you wanted."

Cass's eyes cleared from her trouble thoughts and sparkled with some life and warmth. A tenderness that she hadn't had in a while came to her. "Good. Where?"

Phips quietly sighed, "They're bringing everything including the equipment by tomorrow morning." He looked at her with a tenderness of his own.

"Good. I'll go rest." She turned away from him as she continued. "We have a lot to do, and very little time."

Phips only watched her walk away. A hand touched his after Cass was out of sight. He grabbed it roughly and was ready to punch. He stopped as he saw who it was. "Karin Alyss."

Karin Alyss was a high-ranking member of PAGE. She and Phips Gemini had a unique relationship that was a rivalry, yet a tension of passion between them. Karin had become indifferent long before Cass became a part of the equation. "I don't see why you have to be so weak and get all soft just because you haven't had a good fuck with her in weeks."

"Jealous I see…"

Karin laughed. "Jealous? Over you? Hardly! Don't forget Gemini… I'm the one who lost interest."

Phips only stared at her. "What do you want?"

"I'd like to know why you're bending your back for her. It's not like she loves you."

"What would you understand about that? You don't love anyone but yourself."

Karin smirked. "That may be true, but I'm not tied to my past." She shouted at him as he walked away. "I'm not the one clinging to my past. I don't need to cover the world with blood to find peace of mind!" Phips stormed away from her words. "Oh you poor fool. She'll kill you along with her."

Next time: Well… this story is winding down to the ending leg of the race. A journey begins and ends as all journeys do. How will this journey end? A few things will get wrapped up. What does it all mean for Quatre with his new power? What will happen to Midii and her lost memories? And what is the final phase of Cass's evil plans? All this coming soon in Phase 12: Eclipse

AN: Another interruption from me. Well for any astute Cowboy Bebop fans, I'll confess this chapter's mood is heavily influenced by Cowboy Bebop's noir/angst mood. I also want to say that just as this chapter title suggests, I was also inspired by Beethoven's famous Piano sonata no. 8 (Pathetique). You can download it or find some other way of getting a copy of it. While the first movement may not be familiar to many people, the second movement is very well known, especially among PEANUTS fans. I share Schroeder's love and admiration for Beethoven. ^_^