Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Princess of Mine ❯ Prologue

[ P - Pre-Teen ]




Princess of Mine




Princess of Mine
A Story by Karasu-ko
Duo smiled as he and Kris were walking home together from school. It was always nice to walk home with her. He laced his fingers in hers, and she squeezed his hand gently to acknowledge his soft hands in hers. They made their way to the safehouse, never once letting go of each other's hand. He turned her around and kissed her softly. She giggled and kissed back with equal passion. A form shook her head as she walked by the two lovers. They never stopped…
Kris was the first to let go with a smile, and walked into the living room where Aurora was. She sat down watching TV with her, browsing the channels with the remote. Kris stopped on the news, finding something interesting. She turned up the volume and blinked as a picture came up on half the screen, the other on the anchorman.
"In other news today, police on L7 are searching for the daughter of the Danevon royal family. Police say she is around 16 years old, black hair, blue eyes and goes by the name of Kristian. Her parents, Michael and Elizabeth Danevon, were sadly killed in a bombing of their home on the L7 colony."
Aurora suddenly choked on her soda hearing this. Kris' eyes were wide with shock. She turned the TV louder as the picture moved from the police men searching to a photo of her as a child. Kris blinked.
'How can this be? I never knew I was a princess…Mom and Dad never mentioned that they were royalty to me.' she thought.
"As the police search, reports say that the Danevon princess is expected to claim the throne within the next few days, otherwise the throne and inheritance will be given away. The police believe that the princess is still alive, however her current location is a mystery to them. If anyone has any information, please call this news station at…"
Kris shut off the TV there, cutting off the anchorman. She was the princess they were looking for…that was her baby picture they showed on the television…those were her parents names mentioned on the news…this was her duty to reclaim the throne. But…she was a Gundam pilot…so what could she do?? Kris sighed and got up, heading to get her coat. Aurora looked at her.
"You're going?" she wondered.
"Have to…I gotta see if this thing is for real…" Kris sighed.
Duo leaned against the wall, watching in silence. He watched as Kris walked out of the door, and out to the garage to her motorcycle. He listened as he started the engine and rode away. Duo sighed and wrapped his arms around himself.
'Please…please don't let it be true…don't let it be true, I don't want her to leave…' he thought sadly.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Kris entered the house a few hours later. She was greeted by Duo, who sat at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee. But it hadn't been sipped once, meaning Duo was too deep in thought to drink it. He looked up at her, and she saw that he was obviously tired. She sighed sadly and walked over, putting her arms around his neck. He reached up and held her arms, his eyes cast down away from her.
"…So?" he whispered.
Kris closed her eyes. "I…am the princess…" she said sadly.
Duo's hold on her arms tightened with regret. He could feel her shake slightly and he looked up at her to see her suppressing the urge to cry. Duo wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her into his lap. She curled up slightly, holding onto his neck still.
"I…I gotta go pack…" she sighed. Duo nodded and let her go tentatively.
She rose slowly and walked that same pace to her room. Duo got up from his chair and followed his koibito-chan. He sat on her bed and watched as she grabbed her satchel and put some clothes in for herself. She looked at the pictures on her dresser. So many memories in each frame…she picked up one of her and Duo, holding each other and laughing. Lights shone in the background of the photo, and happy people were walking past, not noticing the two lovers taking a picture. She smiled sadly.
'The circus…' she thought sadly. 'The first day he said, "I love you" to me…'
Duo stood and wrapped his arms around her torso in a gentle hug. She looked over her shoulder at him. He smiled for her sake, not wanting the both of them to break down. Duo sighed inwardly.
'Be strong…boys don't cry remember, Maxwell?' he scolded himself mentally.
This time it was Duo who broke the hug, telling her to finish packing before he tied her to a chair. Kris nodded solemnly, and completed her packing. When she was finished, she turned to him and kissed him one last, deep kiss. He returned it, closing his eyes to savor the moment. Once broken, she whispered:
"I love you…and I'll write as much as possible, Duo-koi…"
He nodded. "I love you too…Kris-chan…"
She smiled half-heartedly, then turned and walked out of her room. Out of the house, and out of Duo's life. Duo bit his lower lip as he heard the same motorcycle engine rev up, then fade away with the distance between them. He sat back down on her bed, picking up her pillow and hugging it close. He took in a deep breath, and sighed softly, enjoying the scent his lover left.
'Country apple…she always smells like country apple…' Duo thought.
He closed his eyes, hugging the pillow closer to himself for comfort. It was true then…she wasn't coming home…she was now Princess Kristian…and he wouldn't be able to see her because of it. Duo sighed sadly and buried his face in her pillow. When he emerged, his eyes were redder, and they shimmered. The pillow was now blotched with gray spots, which were still wet. Shinigami had broken the barriers…and cried.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It had been two weeks since Duo and Kris said goodbye. Duo never felt so alone. If he could help it, he would just lay in his room, not talking to anyone. Instead he would just go around silent. Aurora walked in with the mail and was greeted to a letter, which was traced with gold. She blinked and opened the letter and was met to not a note, but an invitation. It read:
You Are Cordially Invited
To the Coronation of Princess Kristian Danevon
Time: 8pm
Location: Danevon Mansion, L7 Colony
Aurora smirked. Royal invitation and Gundam pilots were invited. This would be interesting. She then looked at the bottom of the invitation at the familiar handwriting of the princess herself. The message read:
Please come you guys. I miss you lots (especially you, Duo-kun). Make sure you guys come through the main entrance. You won't be kicked out if you go through that way. See ya then!
-Kris
Aurora smiled. It would be nice to see her again. Especially if Duo saw Kris again. He was constantly moping around. It was obvious he missed her. Aurora walked over to Trowa's room and showed him the invitation. Trowa agreed that it would be nice for Duo to see her again…
"…But…Duo isn't home…" Trowa said suddenly. Aurora blinked.
"Well, where did he go?" she wondered. Trowa shrugged, making Aurora sigh.
Aurora shook her head and put the invitation on Duo's desk. He would see it there when he came home. She hoped…
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
The night of the coronation, Aurora and Trowa were surprised that Duo had not been ready when they were. Trowa looked in on him, and was met by an empty room. Trowa sighed and took Aurora's hand. Aurora looked at him.
"Not there?" she asked. Trowa shook his head.
"No…he's not…the room is empty."
Aurora sighed and nodded to the door. "Come on…let's go…"
Trowa nodded and guided her to the door, opening it for her. They walked to the car and drove off to the mansion. Meanwhile, Duo walked out of the gym and into his bedroom. He noticed how empty the house was, which made him wonder where Aurora and Trowa went. As he went to go to his bathroom to shower, something caught his eye. It looked like an invitation. He slipped it out of the envelope and read it. His eyes widened coming to the end.
'How could I have missed this!?' he mentally scolded.
He made a quick dash to his bathroom, leaping into the shower and cleaning up quickly. He came back out in a flash and rummaged through his closet for something decent for Kris' coronation. He found a decent looking tuxedo and slipped that on, rebraiding his hair quickly and making a mad dash out the door. He looked around. The car was gone.
"SHIT! How am I gonna get there now?!" he cursed.
Duo looked over and saw another motorcycle in the corner. It was Kris' extra one that she had stolen from their last mission. Duo smirked and hopped on, revving the engine and driving as fast as he could to the mansion.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Kris looked around from her seat on the podium. Three guests she particularly wanted weren't here yet. Her eyes suddenly caught on a blue haired guest entering. She smiled. Aurora was here! Kris got up and ran past the crowd of people interested in the coronation to people who cared about HER as a person. Aurora looked over and saw Kris, and grinned, meeting her halfway in a hug. She looked Kris over.
"Oh my god she's wearing a dress…" Aurora muttered.
Kris smiled. She was wearing a dress, alright. And it was stunning. It was sleeveless, and billowed down to the floor in a sea of milky white. Around her shoulder and waist was a red sash, dignifying her as royalty. Her raven black hair was tied in a curled ponytail, which would soon hold the tiara of the royal family. Aurora smiled and curtsied.
"Your ladyship, thank you greatly for the invitation." Aurora said, in her most thick British voice. Kris giggled.
"No problem," she said looking around. "Where's Duo?"
"He should be here soon…hopefully…" Trowa said with a slight sigh.
As Trowa mentioned the word 'hopefully', Duo's figure was running up the stairs and stopped at the top, looking down at Kris. She met his gaze, and moved away from Aurora slowly, so she could get a better view of him. He was in a slightly wrinkled tuxedo, and his hair was slightly ruffled from the winds. She smiled and walked up the stairs as he descended. They met part way, and he smiled. A blush was beginning to creep to his cheeks.
"You look beautiful…" he breathed. She smiled sheepishly.
"Thank you…you're looking very distinguished…I take it you found my note a bit late?" she wondered with a giggle.
Duo smirked and rubbed the back of his neck embarrassingly. "Yeah…well…"
Kris laughed and took his hand. He looked at her and brought her hand to his lip, kissing her hand gently. She smiled and led him down to the floor where Aurora and Trowa were. A sudden trumpet blow signaled the beginning of the coronation. Kris reluctantly broke away from her friends and stood before the people who would crown her princess. Duo watched her with a sad smile. As they placed the tiara down on her head, Kris glanced at Duo out of the corner of her eye. But she didn't see him. Kris sighed inwardly. She didn't blame him for leaving. As the people clapped for her, she stepped off the podium looking for him through the crowds. She finally spotted his figure on the balcony. She sighed softly and walked up to him, placing a hand on his shoulder. He turned and smiled sadly. Kris wrapped her arms around him in a hug.
"I missed you so much…" she sighed.
"I missed you too." Duo replied softly.
"The first few nights away I cried myself to sleep" she murmured.
"So did I…" he said more to himself, but she heard. Kris looked at him.
"You did?" she asked.
Duo nodded, and she shook her head. He always told her boys don't cry…now that she had made him cry over her, it didn't make her feel too pleased. She let go of him and leaned against the balcony rail, looking down at the roses. Duo came over and hugged her from behind. He sighed softly, resting his head on her shoulder. Kris looked at him.
"What's wrong?"
"I miss you…I want you home…" he said sadly. She nodded, looking back at the roses.
"I know. And I miss you guys too. But…I need to stay here…it's my duty to be the princess and gain back what was lost from my family. I just wish there were some way to have you and be the princess at the same time... I guess I can't..." she said with a sigh.
Duo tightened his hold on her, and she held his arms with equal strength. He looked at her, trying to at least make her smile. But all she did was look away sadly, not wanting to bring his mood down either. He tilted her chin back towards him, kissing her cheek. Kris turned in his arms and ran her fingertips along his. She missed the feel of his skin…
"I don't want this to end…" she sighed sadly.
"It wont. I won't let it." He replied. Kris looked at him.
"How, koi?"
Duo shook his head. "I don't know…I don't even care…I won't let it."
Kris smiled sadly and rested her head under his chin. He held her tightly, rubbing her back. A few tears trickled onto his tuxedo, and he looked down at her. Her ice blue eyes were closed, and warm tears ran down her face. He brushed a few away with his fingers, causing her to look up at him.
"I-I love you Duo…" she said, barely above a whisper.
"I love you too." He replied, his own eyes beginning to water.
She wiped his eyes gently with her thumb; Duo catching her hand as it brushed by. He squeezed it gently and she squeezed back, lacing some of her fingers inside. He kissed her cheek and sighed softly.
"I just wanna take you away…" he said quietly.
"And I just wanna go with you.." she responded, biting her lip to prevent herself from breaking down.
Duo hugged her. "Come on…we can't do this…I'll come visit as much as I can…"
"And I'll try to be here…if we can't meet I can write you…" she replied.
Duo nodded and scooped her up in his arms. She blinked, curious as to what he was going to do. He walked over to a tiny stone bench, sitting himself down. Duo put Kris down in his lap, his arms wrapped around her protectively. She sighed softly and laid her head on his shoulder. He rubbed her arms gently, enjoying the softness. Duo breathed in again, and noticed her smell was different. It wasn't the nice country apple anymore…it was a perfume…something expensive, no doubt. He looked at her sadly as she started stroking his cheek.
"Please don't be sad koi…I don't like it when you're upset…" she said softly. Duo smiled and nodded.
"I'll try…for you, koi-chan." He whispered in her ear, then leaned over and kissed her.
Kris kissed back, enjoying his warm lips touching hers. He ran his hands along her side, and she nuzzled his cheek. Someone calling her name interrupted their moment. She sighed sadly.
"I gotta go now…bye Duo-koi." she whispered. He nodded sadly and gave her one last kiss before she got up, walking back inside.
Duo sighed and followed inside, but rather than following her where she was going, he was leaving this place. He couldn't bear anymore. She was in her new place…her new home. He walked out of the mansion without saying goodbye to Aurora or Trowa, or even Kris. He just was walking nowhere. He finally sat on a curb, and hugged his knees slightly. His beautiful Kristian was gone now…in a new life, a new place, and a new style of living. He closed his eyes, thinking back to the day they fell in love.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Duo was walking along the circus grounds. This was some undercover mission…especially since he was partnered with a person he didn't exactly like. Nor did she like him. Well, Duo knew that wasn't true. He liked Kris a lot. They just butted heads a bit too often, since they first met in the hangar. But he found her intriguing. There was something about her…
"Yo!! Duo!"
A voice snapped him out of his thoughts. He turned to see Kris glaring at him. He smirked coyly. She was pissed about something he did again. Could it have been the lovely surprise he left in her lunch?
"Yes, Kris?" he wondered.
"You better have a damn good reason for putting that rubber spider in my soup, Maxwell. Because if you don't, your next meal will be through a god damn straw!" she growled slightly. Duo smirked. "I dunno…maybe the spider turned rubber seeing your face…" he said with a snicker.
She narrowed her eyes and walked past him, giving him a good shove as she stormed past. Unfortunately for him, he lost his balance and hit the ground. Right in the elephant's daily business. Duo grimaced, then growled angrily at the girl who sashayed away with a smirk.
'Damn her…' he thought.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
The night of their performance was slightly tense. Between the two glaring at each other and the fact that enemy soldiers were nearby was not helping one bit. Kris tripped Duo as she walked out to the ring to perform her acrobat act. Duo growled but didn't do anything…at least not until he would go out there. As she performed, Kris caught five men in her glance. They were enemy soldiers…Kris grit her teeth. She would take care of them after this performance. As Duo walked out, she stumbled slightly as he grabbed one of her ribbons from her uniform and tugged tight. She glared at him as he climbed up the pole to do his trapeze act. Kris immediately walked out from the tent and over towards the men.
"Gentlemen…can I see your circus tickets please?" she hissed, punching the first one down.
Meanwhile, as Duo did his act, he had a funny feeling. It was Kris…was she in trouble? He looked out towards the main entrance. A man fell to the ground. Ribbons fluttered next to it, hinting why the man fell.
'Shit…she's fighting alone…' he thought.
He finished his act quickly and ran from the ring, to outside where Kris was fighting. She stood there growling at three of the men left. Two were on the ground but slowly getting up again. One of them was behind her, and suddenly grabbed her. She struggled but was tossed away like a rag doll, hitting the garbage barrels nearby hard. Duo growled and tackled the men, pounding at them. Kris stumbled back up, slightly surprised by Duo's sudden appearance. But she shrugged it off helping Duo fight off the five men.
Once the five were defeated, both Kris and Duo stood there, breathless. He looked at Kris with slight concern.
"You okay?" he wondered. She nodded slightly shaky.
"Yeah…" Kris replied.
He nodded and began walking off. But it wasn't quite a walk; it was more of a limp. Kris turned and saw his limp, and shook her head. She walked over and grabbed his hand. He stopped and looked at her hand, then at her.
"Come with me…" she said softly. He was going to argue, but decided against it as she pulled him to her trailer. Kris led him inside and nodded for him to sit on the little sofa that was in the living area. He sat tentatively, watching her go to her bedroom and come out again with a tiny white box with a Red Cross.
'A first aid kit? Why a first aid kit?' he thought.
She sat on the floor in front of him and gently began to knead his ankle. He winced slightly, but then stopped feeling how gentle her touch was. He looked down at her, but her gaze didn't meet his. Rather, her eyes were closed and she was concentrating. He smiled a bit and reached down, touching her shoulder. She jumped slightly, startled, and looked up at him. He smiled at her.
"Thank you.." he said softly. She nodded.
"You're welcome…" was her reply. She was moving to stand up, but her feet were caught beneath her and she ended up falling rather ungracefully. Duo was quick to react, catching her in his arms, partially in his lap. He blushed slightly, his arms being all the way around her waist. She blushed too, being so close to his body and all.
"S-Sorry…" she stuttered.
"Are-Are you okay?" he wondered.
"Yeah…y-yeah I'm fine…" she replied, slightly flabbergasted.
Duo was slightly surprised that he hadn't let go of her by now. She was just sitting there, in his lap. Kris was surprised she hadn't slapped his hands away from her waist. Rather, they felt…good…on her body. Neither of them was aware that they had leaned forward and touched the other's lips. Suddenly, Kris backed away and hopped off his lap. She was bright red, like he was, and looking away ashamed.
"I-I-I'm sorry…I didn't…" Kris began. Duo grabbed her hand and pulled her back over gently. He smiled a little bit.
"Don't be…I…liked it…" he replied softly. She blinked and sat back down.
"Y-You did?" She asked. He nodded as to say yes.
Kris looked down at his hand. It was slightly entwined with hers. She looked up at him, and smiled a bit. Kris had no idea he felt that way. Duo didn't realize she felt the same way either. He leaned forward to kiss her again, but stopped. She looked at him.
"Can I?" he asked sheepishly. She smiled and leaned forward, kissing him first. He smiled and kissed her back with gentleness she had never really seen before. He pulled back and smiled warmly.
"I…love you." He whispered. She wrapped her arms around him in a gentle hug and whispered back:
"I love you too…"
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Duo sighed softly at the wonderful memory. That picture in her bedroom was of them that very same night. A friend had caught them holding hands under the stars, and he took a picture. Duo and Kris didn't mind. They enjoyed it, which is why they smiled. He shivered suddenly as a chill caught him off guard. He looked up to see the skies a slightly purplish tint. It was growing closer to daybreak. How long had he been out here? Duo suddenly heard soft footsteps walking closer to him, so he looked towards the noise. He figured it was a jogger for an early morning run. But he blinked, seeing it was Kris. She was now dressed in pajama pants, and a T-shirt. A sport jacket covered her shirt and her feet donned tennis shoes. She walked over and sat next to him on the curb.
"How come you're out here all alone?" she wondered.
"How come you're out here at all?" he retorted with a slight smirk. She smiled a bit.
"I noticed you left my motorcycle in the garden. I could tell you left it by the tire marks in the grass. Only you could make those marks in other people's lawns." She said with a smile.
Duo sweatdropped sheepishly. "Sorry..."
Kris smiled and shook her head. She looked at him and tipped her head slightly, seeing how rosy his cheeks were. She reached out and gently touched his cheek. Kris blinked.
"Duo, you're freezing! How long have you been out here?" she wondered. Duo shrugged.
"Since I left the mansion…" he replied.
She shook her head and unzipped her jacket. He watched her, wondering what she was going to do. Kris slipped the jacket off and draped it over his shoulders. He looked at it, then up at her. She smiled and kissed his forehead.
"Don't want you getting sick on my account." She said. Duo shook his head, beginning to take off the jacket.
"No…you need it, you wear it. I don't want YOU getting sick because I took your jacket." He replied, as he rose to his feet.
He slipped the jacket onto her shoulders and kissed her lightly. She wrapped her arms around his waist and pulled him in for a hug. Kris looked up at him.
"Why were you out here?" she wondered.
"I was just thinking…" he replied.
"About?"
Duo smiled. "The day you and I confessed our love…at the circus…" Kris smiled.
"I remember that…I brought the picture with me from home." She said. He nodded and looked at her.
"I better be getting home…" he said softly. She nodded, and took his hand.
"I'll walk you back to your…err, rather…MY motorcycle…" she said with a smile. Duo laughed softly and let her lead the way back to the mansion.
Duo got on the motorcycle and looked at her. She smiled sadly, and kissed him softly on his lips. He returned the favor, then gave her one last hug goodbye. She backed away so he could start the engine. He smiled and mouthed 'I love you' to her as he started the motorcycle. She nodded, and mouthed 'I love you too' as he turned and drove off into the sunrise beginning to creep up over the horizon.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Weeks passed and Kris was still the Princess of the Danevon family. Duo was still lonely, but he continued to write her letters and she would respond. As Duo lay on his bed, watching the rainfall, Aurora called out from the living room.
"Duo! Trowa! Come quick!"
Duo blinked and got up, walking to the living room along with Trowa. Aurora pointed to the television, which had a news program on it. A news anchor was discussing a meeting held in the morning by a group of royals. One of them was Kris. He showed a clip of the conference, showing Kris on the screen.
"Ladies and gentlemen of the colonies and Earth. As Princess of the Danevon family it has been my duty and privilege to serve this title. However, I have decided that I can no longer take on these terms as the princess of L7 and the Danevon family heiress… therefore, it is my duty to announce that I am resigning my title as princess. I also wish to acknowledge that I am leaving a successor to my throne whom I entrust wholeheartedly…"

Duo and the others blinked. She was giving up her position as the princess. Inside, Duo's heart was about to burst from his chest in joy. Kris-chan was coming home…she was going to come home and stay.
"This news from the princess this morning was later sent to the Council and was acknowledged and accepted…in other news…" the anchorman began before being shut off by Aurora.
Duo blinked. The announcement was made this morning? He looked at the clock…2:27pm…that means that…
The doorbell snapped him from his thoughts. He ran over quickly, opening the door wide. A drenched figure emerged from the rain and lifted their hood. The person beneath smirked.
"Isn't it just lucky of me, Duo-koi? It's pouring fucking rain and I forget my key!"
Duo had to laugh. It was his Kris-chan…and she was home again. He walked over and picked her up, spinning her in a circle still laughing softly. She squealed and hugged him back. He put her down on her feet again and she was met with his soft lips against hers.
"Welcome home…" he breathed.
"Thanks…it's good to be home…"
"But why did you give up being a princess? You had chances for peace by being the princess…" he said.
Kris shook her head. "The pacifist princess life wasn't for me…it was leading nowhere. I think as a Gundam pilot I can show my true objections for peace by fighting the fair and true fight…with you guys…" she replied softly.
Duo smiled and hugged her again, not caring if he got wet. She was home again. His Kris-chan was home…
"Hey Kris, nice tiara!" Aurora called, waving the tiara Kris wore from the coronation in her hands. Kris eeped and looked to see her bag open and Aurora snickering. Kris put her bag down, breaking from Duo's hold.
"Why you little…give that back!"
"Nuh uh…no chance in hell!" Aurora snickered.
"Give it back!!" Kris said, tackling Aurora onto the couch.
Duo smiled as they wrestled on the couch over the sparkling tiara. 'Yup…she's home alright…and there goes the peace and quiet…'

The End
Email comments to: Chibimoon1886@aol.com