Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Prisoner of War ❯ Escape ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note: Don't own Gundam Wing and 1+2+1. The rest of my note was in chapter six.

Chapter Eight

Duo crawled slowly towards the youthful soldier, fine eyebrows furrowing in confusion. His amethyst gaze locked, never wavering, on the screen of Heero's laptop without distraction, "Huh?"

"Someone has discovered a way to hack into my computer system," mumbled the pilot; the rest of his attention was focused completely on protecting highly classified information from whoever was searching his system. It was his duty to safeguard any information that may assist an enemy, a duty he had already failed around the braided baka. `That will not happen again. How can I be thinking of him when exposure is at risk?'

"Who could it be?" the object of Heero thoughts wondered aloud. Duo could barely follow the intense clacking that became part of the thick atmosphere of tension. Window after window opened and shut before his eyes in an array of different colors. He could only apprehend that his guard was placing barriers between themselves and whoever was stupid enough to attempt this.

No response was uttered from the grim perfect soldier in an exchange of attacks and blocks. `Who is challenging my skills and knowledge of infiltration? I can outmaneuver any Oz warrant officer in this aspect and much more. Even they could not underestimate a gundam pilot's skills to that extent. There must be another plan… But what is it?' The stoic boy's revere was shattered with a sudden and deliberate attack on the laptop he was working on. He cursed himself again for allowing his guard to slip. His hand flew out in a death grip, latching onto a slender arm of the perpetrator.

Duo's biting of his lip could not halt a hiss of pain from escaping, "Damn, Heero! Just trying to help," he glared at the Japanese pilot. "They were probably trying to find identification on your computer."

Prussian blue pools widened slightly in what appeared to be mild curiosity, when in truth, Heero was dumbfounded. `Why didn't I realize this sooner? That braided baka is not an idiot. Who is he? Never mind that; there are more important matters to attend to. Have they found it? If they have, I must destroy and dispose of this thing.' He eyed the broken machine. `If they found that identification, we have to go before they trace it by satellite to find my location.' Fluid hands rapidly disassembled the computer to destroy any data left that could be traced.

"Move out," his eyes seemed to bark the order even as Heero spoke it verbally.

Grabbing what little possessions he had deemed necessities, Heero slung the bag that contained them over one shoulder. Duo could only watch him in a strange daze. It was amazing how Heero had calmly assessed the dire situation. `There is no way I'm gonna let them drag me back to prison. There's no way I'll let them get Heero either.' The last sentence came as a surprise to the braided boy. `I mean he's an ally after all.'

Duo found himself seized roughly by his collar out the door of the safehouse. Resting in Heero's palm, the detonation device perplexed the violet-eyed pilot. Before the question formulated on his tongue, an explosion could be heard and felt, shuddering the earth, behind the two soldiers. He craned his neck around to stare at the bright conflagration that burned the remnants of their residence. `Should have guessed. I had to do this lots of times.'

The warmth emulating from his dangerous abductor distracted Duo uncomfortably. "Um," he voiced in an unusually soft, almost shy tone, "can you let me go?"

"Hn," Heero grunted his normal reply without so much as a glance back to the boy. `At least he isn't pretending to choke.'

"I won't escape," Duo assured him. "I promise."

After a moment of hesitation, Duo stumbled from his abrupt release from the indifferent man walking ahead of him. A soft smile curved on Duo's lips as he jogged to catch up, slinging one arm around the boy out of pure instinct. The distraction of the warmth was even worse now, but surprisingly, Duo didn't mind it one bit. It felt so comfortable, a perfect fit. All his previous shyness dissipated as he wore a cheeky grin and chattered on about random topics, avoiding anything related to war. Who knew there were so many of them?

Heero resisted the enticing urge of rolling his eyes at the baka. The arm wrapped around his shoulders was pointedly ignored despite the new sensation. Even the perfect soldier was bewildered he did not brush the friendly gesture away. If it were anyone else, he or she would probably be sprawled across the dirt from a heavy blow. `What is it about Duo? How can he affect me like this? Maybe it would have been a better idea to let him escape… /Was that a joke?/ No.'

"So," Duo drawled. His steady, cobalt blue gaze observed their surroundings with sudden interest. Heero had led the pair into a set of unmarked trails in the foliage to prevent discovery. Greenery surrounded the soldiers as the Japanese man led them in an unknown direction. The pilot seemed more than certain of what was to occur, so the braided soldier decided to place his trust in the Prussian eyed boy once again. "Where are we going?"

"Gundam," Heero spoke the single term without emotion.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~

Short one, I know! I'm making up for it by uploading like four chapters for peoples. ^_^ Aren't my grammar skills just wonderful? Here comes nine!