Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Prisoner of War ❯ Step One ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note: Hey people! I know you're disappointed that it's only me, but I decided that this was probably a good time to upload more chapters. I'm in a really good mood right now, so expect really weird and bad attempts at humor. I had an awesome day, shopping at the mall with Yun and hanging out with Mandi. My cat was acting up a little, and we found it highly amusing. Everyone's life seems to be going great right now! Anyway . . . I don't own Gundam Wing sadly. If I did, you would probably be seeing some changes in the series (hehe). The pairing so far is 1+2+1. It will change as soon as I can get other characters in (not the pairing but just have more pairings). Hope you like!

Chapter Ten

Uncertainty. Once more the impish, braided baka had managed to stir an unfamiliar emotion besides the forlorn emptiness that resided in Heero's deadened soul, bypassing his defenses as if they were not there. For a moment, the perfect soldier allowed a strange tidal of emotion to crash against him helplessly. As quickly as it came, he crushed the useless feelings, forcing them out of mind. He hid his frustration all too well from the rest of the world, but the moment violet eyes searched his own, he felt somehow lost and confused.

`It doesn't matter! We are in a damn war here.' He couldn't even summon the will required to fire a withering glare at the youth that stared at him expectantly. No, Duo didn't seem oblivious now, and he knew too much about Heero somehow. `He can't know the location of my hangar in case I need it in the future… I only hesitated before because it would slow down our progress, my progress too much.' Duo was the one who had brought these foreign feelings to him, the one that presented the greatest risk. In one swift, efficient blow, he had rendered the boy unconscious.

He had put all his previous anger and frustration into that one stroke of his arm, on some level hoping to destroy them as he did with Duo's consciousness. Cold dark-blue eyes observed the young American's fall as it seemed to happen in slow motion. For a brief instant, surprise flashed in the widened amethyst depths. Heavy lids weighed down as his legs crumpled beneath him, dragged down by gravity. A heavy thud served as evidence of the soldier's abrupt descent to the earth. The same peaceful, angelic resemblance was graced to the Japanese youth's view again, like it was at their safehouse.

Instead of the grim satisfaction Heero had anticipated to experience, a flinch of pain and guilt rippled through his control. For a long moment, he simply stared at the American; memories of the many interactions he had shared with him in such a short amount of time flashed in his mind. `It feels like I have known him all my life, but how can that be when I have only known him for less than a day? I can remember so vividly the conversations I have had with Duo. Why does it stand out in my mind? He manages to make me speak; he wants my trust and companionship. No one has ever wanted my opinion before, much less anything else besides my abilities. Why does he then? No one has affected me this way either. I'm not exactly sure how I feel or what I want.'

The soldier part of him protested, but for once Heero ignored it; it could not be for long however. His carefully crafted façade faltered slightly in that moment because there was no danger of Duo witnessing it. `He is still a risk! His ways of slipping past my defenses are not to be allowed as an ally or an enemy. /If you had to kill him, would you be able to?/ Anything other than yes would be the wrong answer.' Gingerly, he lifted the teenaged boy into his strong arms, trying to neglect the reaction his senses brought about, careful about the pilot's wounds. He operated quickly, eager to be relieved of the warm weight that pressed against his chest.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*

Darkness swirled in Duo's mind when he slowly began to regain perception on his surroundings. He could feel every pump of blood coursing, pounding in his skull that seemed like hammers slamming against his brain. The throbbing faded to a more bearable level after a few moments of lying completely still. The braided American became aware of a light breath tickling his cheek. An unknown person loomed over his weakened body. Panic and fear coiled nauseatingly in the pit of his nervous stomach. `What the hell happened? What's going on? Who is that guy? Where's Heero?' Mustering up all the energy he possessed to act as if he was still unconscious, Duo waited for something, any opportunity for egress from his helpless state.

He suddenly felt his chest tighten, not painfully but rather firmly under some kind of pressure. If the other had noticed him awaken, they had given no indication of his or her knowledge. `It's now or never.' The soldier's hands flew out blindly, hoping to grasp on to his apparent captor. A split second after his attempt, he felt someone's hands clamping down his wrists immovably. Still there was no pain other than his head. `Shit… Ugh, I feel like I have a hangover or something.' Forcing one, cobalt colored eye open, it only flew shut a moment after the piercing intrusion of a brilliant blue light flooded his swirls of black.

Blue-violet instantly snapped open once more, determined to resist the sharp pain, to glare at his assaulter. His legs lashed out at the same instant, smashing against the solidity of a wall with the unmistakable feel of human flesh. He groaned at the pain caused by the action due to his healing injuries, now exposed once more. His captor swayed slightly before recovering his/her impeccable balance. `I will not give up damn it! Heero, where the hell are you?' Any thought flashing angrily in his mind ceased to exist as dark sapphires bored intensely into brilliant, deep purple. His fury extinguished immediately in surprise and recognition. The smallest hint of concern glowed in the Prussian blue, hidden subtly in a sea of nothing. "Hee-Heero?" a tentative voice rang out in a bare whisper of disbelief.

A whirlpool emerged suddenly at the sound in the dark ocean before dispersing even faster than it came into almost impassive ice. The same confusion glinted dully somewhere in the endless depths. "Duo," the familiar, rich sound began softly, "don't do that again." With the simple warning, Heero pushed himself away from the boy.

The pulsing in his brain lessened with each pump of his heart. The braided pilot blinked several times in session after the strange encounter. `He knocked me out-so I wouldn't know where his gundam is. He doesn't trust me still. I know it's way too much to ask and everything, stupid even, but I can't help but want him to trust me. The way he was looking at me though…' He smiled in memory. `It was like he was worried about me. Am I hallucinating? Why should something as small as that concern me at all? Didn't I learn the first time not to care? Distancing myself from others has worked up till now. All of a sudden, being alone sounds too-lonely. I think Heero has already managed to be my friend. Maybe a person as perfect and emotionless as him won't be hurt because of Shinigami. Is he really so cold?' Doubt swelled as the teenager recalled all the time he had spent with the Japanese soldier. `Maybe we aren't so different.'

"Oi, Heero," the familiar grin reappeared on his heart-shaped face, "where are we going?"

"New safehouse," a murmur was caught by Duo's hearing. `Kuso… How could I reveal that information to him?'

"Cool," he nodded satisfactorily.

`I need to explain the situation to Dr. J.' His digits fished a new laptop out from a compartment he had installed in his gundam. The impassive soldier commenced his flawless typing. The silence around him made it seem harder to work, when he was so adjusted to the lively chatter that usually floated throughout the area.

Instead his captive remained deathly quiet, examining the straps that bounded him to the gundam. Duo smiled again to himself in a soft way, unlike his previous obnoxious grins. `Maybe he isn't so cold. Maybe he does have emotions. Maybe he cares about my safety. And I for one, do not mind, nope, not one bit.'

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*

Dewshine- Hi! It's always nice to hear from you, and I'm glad you're still here up to chapter nine! I think I'll post chapter eleven as soon as I'm done with spacing the paragraphs correctly and adding notes. A whole bunch of marching band people have been IMing me lately. It's weird, but I think it's pretty kool. First it was Derek, who had gotten my screen name from Qing, and then it was Timmy, Dan, and David. It's almost as if they decided that the season has ended, and now was the time to get to know each other better. Derek has resolved his issues, which we are all happy for. He got his first girlfriend, and it was so kawaii! He was trying to ask her out (better not let him find this, oh well, screw that) and was having some "problems" with pushing the enter key ^_______________^ But now, he has a girlfriend! Yay! Life is fabulous for everyone it seems. I went shopping today with one of my good friends Yun, and I finally found a Halloween present for another good friend Mara. Then Mandi came over this evening, and everything was great. Tomorrow, I need to finish up my biology homework, and I think I'm done for the break. Actually my cat was acting up today, but seeing how long this review is getting, I guess I won't elaborate. Thanks soooo much for the wonderful comments and review! And I didn't actually think of that as a cliffhanger. Chapter fourteen may have roused a few comments about me being evil, but that I can really see why. I was like `What??? It seemed like a good place to end!' Anyway, I think I'm done for now. Cya later hopefully!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*

Now that that's over with . . . I hope everyone likes this so far. I really do. I'm in a great mood even if I feel a little fuzzy from being tired. Come to think of it, that ending was kind of corny, ahaha! Will make up in future chapters! Inspiration dry-spell has finally lifted, and I'm back on track with chapter nineteen ^_^ I have half of it done (8-10 page chapters unlike now with too many reviews that need answering *gets dizzy*).