Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Prisoner of War ❯ Step Two ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note: Eek! I forgot about this for a while, didn't I? Whoops . . . Oh well, here it is anyway. I don't own Gundam Wing, 1+2+1 as usual. What's up with me? Well, not that most people would care, but I've been kind of busy and weird. I can't seem to get enough sleep and the mere thought of food sometimes makes me sick. I finally finish that article on the Internet for Journalism, which I'm told is going in the yearbook o.O Although why she would want it is beyond me. ^_^ I didn't really care about it, so hopefully it isn't too screwed up. Oh yeah, I mentioned this site on there, too! Well anyway, hope you like the chapter.

Chapter Twelve

"Heero!" Duo hissed in pain. "Lemme go, dammit!"

"How?!" he demanded the braided baka he had, leaning over the boy, sending promises of death with icy, Prussian blue eyes.

"Fuck, Heero! Lemme go!" in a voice as strong as the perfect soldier's, Duo in turn glared back at the fifteen-year-old unafraid as he struggled in vain against the solid grip. `Pain is a weakness.' He bit back groans of pain, ignoring the sound of stretching flesh and opening of wounds.

For a long moment no sound was uttered between the pair except for unusually heavy pants of passing breath. Had peril and pain not have been present, the warmth of the other soldier's touch would have bequeathed a pleasant discomfort. They spoke in silent communication, speaking with controlled gazes in a connection neither had shared with another soul, or could.

`I know a loosing battle when I see one.' Clenched fists and fingers abruptly expanded, allowing sore wrists to dangle from the boy's arms. A rush of blood flooded through Duo's veins, and he breathed an enormous sigh of relief. Fatigue wore away as the soldier mask fell from his face; purple pools fluttered closed before gently lifting open to expose the same orbs once more.

"There has to be an explanation for all of this," he searched his mind profusely, yielding no possibilities other than the dream being a memory. `It seemed so real.'

"And I must hear it," the once lethal blaze extinguished to the same, impassive state it usually wore. "Have you lied to me, Duo Maxwell?"

Astounded amethyst enlarged to immense saucers. "How the hell did you know my last name?" he breathed in wonder, realizing the massive shock the other pilot must have experienced.

"I-" Heero muttered. "It must have… I couldn't have… Maybe you told… Heard it somewhe…" Unruly, dark-brown spikes hung downward, "I don't know," he admitted. `How? Could it be true? Did I know this braided baka before? No! I couldn't have. It's impossible. I would have remembered; the perfect soldier has perfect memory. Why is it then, that I can't remember anything before I was six years old? It cannot be true. No . . . '

"Face it, Heero, somewhere along the line, something happened. I don't have a damn clue where or what it was, but I know something had to have happened. My dream was so real, and I've never had that dream before," the braided one searched for answers, hoping to convince the other Japanese youth.

"No," the same brown bangs lifted, revealing the dark azure gaze. "Di-did you care . . . about me then?" Heero inquired with much hesitation.

"You were my best friend," he smiled softly, silently adding the intense emotions he had felt for him then as more than a friend. `Funny how you have changed so much yet affect me in the same ways. You have become such an emotionless soldier now, but I can glimpses of humanity that still exist in you.' "You said you would never forget me," his voice was soft, soothing.

A bolt of pain slapped Heero as he heard that voice, saying those words, in that way. He watched helplessly as a tint of sadness lined the precious violet staring back at him. `Breathe, Heero. Dammit, why can't I breathe?' "You said everyone that you have cared for in the past died…" he forced the words out with much more effort than should be necessary. `He's just one person. He's not superior to me. How can he change me like this?' "I'm still alive." `/He's my best friend…/ Where did that come from?'

"Maybe I forgot you…" A sullen expression dimmed his heart-shaped face. "I broke my promise. How could I? I run, I hide, but I never - "

"Tell a lie," upon pure instinct, Heero finished the phrase for the boy. The words formulated with such ease almost as if it was an innate trait or at least a strong habit. `How? I couldn't have known him. It was logic. Yes, that was why. I've always been observant of people, and I simply observed Duo's behavior patterns and knew from my analysis what he would say.' Seeing the startled expression reform on the impish face caused the soldier to quickly recite his thoughts.

Duo still appeared to be uncertain and disbelieving.

"A broken promise isn't a lie."

"To me it's almost worse," Duo argued.

Wing jerked unexpectedly from an impact generated by an unknown source, nearly resulting in the all-too-mature youth's collapse on the boy adorned in the black outfit. "Kuso," he swore, quickly removing himself from hovering above the boy, leaping into his chair with one, fluid motion. "Auto-pilot off," he commanded the large, fighting craft. "Surveillance," cold monotone resonated from the cramped walls as Heero's fingers clacked across the board.

The large screen, not very different than the one installed in Duo's own gundam, Deathscythe, displayed wide swaths of sky, first stars beginning to cluster upon the purple hue. The screen split into different sections, providing a window of the entire perimeter of the mobile suit. It was then that both boys spotted it, one, single Aries taking flight behind them. It was too easy as a target; his heat seeking radar detected no human form within the machine. `It's flying on where it senses Wing and showering us with missiles and other forms of firepower. It's supposed to have me lower my guard.'

"I think it's a distraction to get your attention, so others can catch you off guard," Duo voiced, face set in the same way it was in every battle. Heero had never seen so much seriousness etched on the young pilot's expression; it startled him. `This guy better be good. Who the hell am I kidding? He can kill me with one blow!' Nothing could prepare the American for what he would see in battle tonight however.

`Strange how you seem like a baka and so different from me when we think so much alike at times. You hide your true self from others like I do.' "Hn," he grunted in response.

`I know I'm right, but does he?' So helpless felt Duo as he could only watch events take place. `Does he even hear me?' Violet eyes felt glued to the screen and the boy piloting the massive, killing machine. `Are you a machine, too, Heero? Did they take you from me?' A short, efficient blast of a rifle beam tore apart the mobile suit. Duo had never witness a movement so fast, almost unseen as Heero jerked Wing with fly upward, shooting up into the sky as the first round of barraging crossfire commenced below them. `He knew! He knew that we were surrounded! When he flies up and out of the circle that they tried to blockade us into, their fire aimed for him kills off each other. Damn, he's good; he's really good!'

`I don't have time for games, Oz.' He barely released a grunt in effort, only feeling Wing becoming an extension of his small form, fighting passionlessly. In his peripheral vision, Heero noticed the awe shimmering in Duo's eyes, the admiration and wonder. `He almost looks like a child when he's like that.' A rapid swish sliced the air, alerting his attention back to the raging battle with nearly impossible odds if it had not been the perfect soldier Oz was up against. The Japanese soldier spotted and immediately obliterated a carrier craft that had flown to close to the surface of the canopy of trees.

Adrenaline pumped through the braided pilot's body, still restrained by secure straps fastened by the man who fought. "Come on, Heero!" He shouted and cheered encouragement. "Kick some ass for me! Yeahahahahaha!" he whooped as mobile suit after mobile suit met a fiery end.

Somehow those simple words made Heero want to smile. He felt compelled to look back that the loudmouthed idiot and would have if it not had been for the plight. `You don't work for Oz. That's for sure.'

"What?" Duo looked at him perplexed, nevertheless an evil smirk curled his lips. "Nope! Die, Ozzies! Fry, Ozzies! Wanna make you cry, Ozzies!"

`I spoke those words aloud?' Only half his attention remained loyal to his training as the other half betrayed all the rules he had learned in the past. `He's even worse than before… Somehow I don't really mind.' Suddenly, he discovered a grinning Duo, standing besides his seat, winking a cobalt colored eye at him. "They don't call me Shinigami for nothin', ya know!"

The soldier simply smirked back; "Do not interfere in this battle." `Impressive.'

"Aww, your no fun!" He pouted playfully. "I wanna get in on the action."

"You do not know how to pilot a gundam," Heero reminded him quietly. `Unless you do… What other talents have you hidden from me?'

`Wanna bet, Yuy?' He snorted silently but only spoke, "So?" Innocently blinking his eyes, it adverted any suspicion Heero may have possessed. `You have been freaked out enough for right now.'

"Hn. Go away, Duo," he ordered. The boy knew he had won this round when his ears pricked at the sound of a defeated sigh. `Part of your act? Was it just for show?' Surprisingly, Heero found he could concentrate fully on his fighting even with Duo's obnoxious blathering in the background.

Unexpectedly, the intercom crackled to reveal a blonde boy with blue-green eyes wearing a pair of flier goggles atop his head. Duo perked up with sudden interest as he observed the boy communicate with Heero. "Heero, I mean 01," he corrected instantaneously. The words died in his throat as he noticed a grinning, chestnut-haired man next to his comrade. "Uh…" he stammered nervously. `Is that blood on this clothing?'

"Ignore him," Heero almost sighed. "What is it, 04?"

"Oh right!" The blonde blushed slightly after looking away from the youth. "I'll take care of them for you," he offered, gesturing to the swarm of mobile suits that were slowly diminishing in small explosions. "03 is here, too. Go to the safehouse around 60.987 miles north from here. You probably have some, uh," He eyed Duo who was still smiling widely, "business to attend to." He mouthed silent words of puzzlement to Heero.

"Yeah, Uh huh, got all of that!" Duo smirked with satisfaction. "Well you see, your friend Heero here almost killed me on his last mission destroying that Oz facility. I was the only one left alive, so he decided that he thought I was pretty and took me home! Before he could rape me-well no, you can't rape the willing right?" he winked at the wildly blushing blonde. "Hell," he slung one arm over Heero's shoulder; "he's pretty hot, too! Very feisty, if you know what I mean. Anyway, before he could "rape" me, I made cookies! Really yummy ones, too! Not as yummy as you, dear," he squeezed Heero's shoulder with affection. "And I found this naughty boy was looking up porn on the internet, but poor Heero couldn't find any before we got hacked…" He sighed dramatically, ignoring the death glare he was receiving from the stoic pilot.

04 could barely contain bubbles of laughter that threatened to rise from his throat as he turned from a very unhappy Heero to the cheerful opposite that stood next to him. "Yes, I have some business to take care of," Prussian eyes never once left the braided idiot as 03 took care of the rest of the enemies. `He just signed his death warrant.' "Goodbye, Quatre." Overlooking he surprise present on his comrade's face, Heero shut off communications.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~

"Did you see all of that, Trowa?" Quatre breathed in amazement, turning curious, aquamarine eyes to the quiet clown.

"Yes," a small smile lit his emerald-green gaze.

"I'm surprised that he could read my lips. Who is he?" Quatre wondered about the mysterious stranger aboard his friend's gundam.

"It's more surprising that he's still alive after the little stunt he pulled."

Quatre grinned, "Yeah," he agreed, destroying the last of the enemy still entranced with the possible scenarios. "You think it was true?"

An extremely infrequent smirk touched Trowa's lips. "It could happen," he shrugged, not really joking. "Let's go home," he smiled softly at Quatre.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~

Dewshine- Hola! Sorry for the long wait. I'm kind of not so hot right now because of mysterious reasons. Anyways . . . My mom got married on Halloween! And I missed the wedding because of school, which I thought was really retarded, but I would have had a lot of make up work to do, and I wouldn't like that. Thanks so much for the awesome review as usual. It's always nice to hear from you. With everything going on and pep band and piano lessons starting up soon, I doubt updates will be the first thing on my mind. During summer, I make up for it though. That is if this story actually takes more than a whole year to write. I started it on a whim of an idea one Sunday in May. Yes, I was amusing myself ^_^ We took these JOB-O tests yesterday in English, and I got some really weird choices. If you care, you can ask, but I wanna wrap everything up soon.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*

Wasn't that just exciting? Lol, jk, jk! Just all of a sudden I remembered that I hadn't updated in a long time. It's fun to see all the hits I get on here. And it's kool to know that people actually read this thing. And not to worry, if you spot any weirdness they were "rookie" mistakes. I still am one probably, but at the very least, people like my fics. Anyone interested in hearing about the Gundam boys in band camp? I'm juggling that and this. It's going to be a different one, I think. I mean how many fics have you seen around with them in marching band? I think I'm just weird like that. Enough ranting for today! Ja peeps!