Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Sentinels and their Guides ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sentinels and their Guides - part 1

by KatiKat




Heero sighed and looked out of the window of the silver limo he and his friends were riding in. His life was depressive, dark and empty. Just a short while ago he didn´t actually mind but now... He looked over at the pair sitting in the seat across from him. Quatre and Trowa... They looked so happy having something he would probably never have. The Bond. It was the only thing the Sentinels craved. To share their life, body, mind and soul with their Guide - the only person in the world with the ability to keep them focused and sane.

His hearing spiked again, overwhelming him with sounds of the street - honking cars, raging engines, cursing drivers, dozens of heartbeats - and he flinched, closing his eyes tightly. It was happening more and more often these days. His senses - the heightened senses all Sentinels were proud of - were getting out of control, driving him crazy with strange smells, sounds and tastes. This was one of the things Sentinels feared the most (besides losing their Guide) - to get out of control, to lose their sanity, to degenerate to the point of a mere animal - dangerous and deadly - because that was what would happen to a Sentinel who lost control of himself. His sanity would abandon him, his human mind would break, and the only thing left would be the spirit animal Sentinels carried in their souls.

When he got his hearing back in control, he looked over at the couple again to find them watching him with worry in their eyes.

"Are you okay, Heero?" Quatre - Trowa´s Guide - asked quietly, knowing that loud sounds could be pretty painful after a spike.

Heero tried to smile for him. Quatre worried too much sometimes. "Yes, I am. You don´t need to worry about me."

Quatre didn´t comment about his obvious lie. He laid his head on Trowa´s shoulder and let him put his arm around him. Through the empathy every Guide possessed he could feel how depressed, confused and hurt Heero was. He shut his eyes tight snuggling closer to his Sentinel. Sometimes the feelings of people around him were drowning him and he had to seek shelter in the Bond his empathy sustained. Like right now. Heero was hurting so much...

Trowa bent down and kissed his Guide and lover on the top of his golden head. "You should find yourself a Guide," he said, his senses locked on the precious bundle in his arms.

Heero huffed. Trowa was stating the obvious. Every Sentinel needed a Guide who would help them keep their sanity through the Bond. No Guide meant no Bond which meant no future. Because without the Bond, every Sentinel would be driven insane - sooner or later. But Heero wouldn´t let it go that far. He would end it himself before he would get reduced to a mere hissing and biting beast.

"I know that, Trowa. You know the best how hard I tried. I tried it at every Guide academy there is. I went to all the mixers the trainers sent me to. I just didn´t find the One with whom I would just click with like you with Quatre. You met him on the first mixer you went to. One look and the Bond was there. I wish I could have been that lucky..." Heero sighed. How many times did he have this conversation already? With another sigh, he propped his chin on his hand and looked back out of the window.

Heero was right, Trowa thought to himself. He had been really lucky. He looked down at his Guide, lover, soul mate, best friend and pulled him closer. He didn´t know what he would do being in Heero´s place. He saw the looks full of resignation the trainers were giving him. They gave up on him and just waited for the moment he would snap. They were both twenty. At this age every Sentinel should be already paired, with the Bond established and strong. He knew that the spikes were coming more and more often these days. He knew the paleness, the wild look they left behind. It meant that the first stage of insanity was knocking at the door. He only hoped that he wouldn´t have to fulfill the promise he gave Heero - the promise to release him from his misery should he really lose his mind...

The limo - Quatre´s limo - was flying down the streets of New Angeles, the capital city of Cluster L1, the first colony ever founded. It was a dark planet with no sun, the artifical one giving only the barest hints of what the true thing on Earth might have looked like. It was so far back in the past when the first colonists left their home planet to look for a new "paradise", nobody remembered anymore how it was to breath fresh air and bathe in the sun. If this was paradise, then what did hell look like?

The car stopped at the red light. Heero fixed his eyes on a small dirty child searching for food in a garbage can. Such a big chasm in the levels of society - the upper ten thousand and the millions on the street. Did he really have the right to feel sorry for himself? He knew that he would go home now and take a bath, eat and drink whatever he wanted, go clubbing tomorrow again... And if he went crazy after all there would be somebody to take care of his needs. That was the difference between him and the girl searching the garbage can - a couple of ciphers in a bank account.

Suddenly, before the car could take off once again, something heavy dropped on the roof of the car shaking the limo and the passengers within.

"What the...?" Heero started and opened the car door to see what had happened. Before he could get out a slight figure jumped off the car in front of his opened door. The figure - dressed all in black - turned around and its eyes locked with Heero's for the shortest of moments before it took off down the street. Heero´s breath caught in his throat as he felt the Bond click in place in the milisecond when his and the stranger´s eyes met. He didn´t know him - or was it her? He thought he saw a long braid - but he knew he had to find him. It was his One and only.

"Heero! What are you doing?" Quatre shouted after him as Heero jumped out of the car trying to catch the fleeing figure. He wanted to get out too but Trowa caught him around his waist and pulled him back to him. "Trowa, what are you doing? We have to go after him!" the blond man protested.

Trowa smiled and closed the door. "No, we don´t." He pushed the call button to the driver. "Rashid, turn the car and take us back."

"How far, Mr Barton?" the disembodied voice asked.

"I don´t know. Just drive slowly. I will tell you when to stop," Trowa answered and released the button situated in the ceiling.

"What are you doing, Trowa?" Quatre asked, his voice agitated, as he squirmed in the Trowa´s lap for once trying to shake of his lover´s arm that was holding him in place. "We might lose them. What if something happens to Heero? What if he has another spike?"

Trowa smiled. "I doubt that there will be any spikes anymore."

That caught Quatre´s attention. "What do you mean?" He turned to look Trowa in the face as the limo took a wide U-turn in the intersection.

"I mean that Heero found his Guide, love."

Quatre gaped and Trowa kissed him on the tip of his nose.

End part 1