Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Tank Police Division 195 ❯ Active Duty ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
You have no idea how hard it was to right a police chase scene (brief as it was)

Tank Police Division 195
Chapter Four: Active Duty

The week went by relatively slowly; mostly because Chief Une thought that the new officers needed to get used to the garage (commonly known as the pit) and for the rest of the week they had to run detoxification on the tanks when they got back from patrol. The Captain wasn't any happier in Child Welfare but he endured if only to see his beloved tank again. At any rate, it was over which meant that the day Une was dreading was nigh; the day she had to assign tanks
to the five new lunatics in the 195th.

This is so exciting! We're finally getting tank assignments and going on duty! Quatre was practically bouncing around the pit with enthusiasm.

Personally I want my old tank, Duo shrugged. but it'll be great to get back on duty again.

Just try not to blow up anything too important. Sally said, carelessly. Trowa grimaced.

I don't think I can take another pay cut. The others made faces at the thought.

Here comes the Captain. Heero said. Those present saluted briefly and then, with the exception of Sally, Milliardo, Noin, and the boys (as they were collectively referred as being the youngest officers in the division), went back to what they had been doing.

Before I announce the assignments I would like to remind you of the number one rule of the glorious Tank Police

Love your tank like a brother! Milliardo, Noin, Sally, and Duo chorused.

Correct! We've been following this rule for eight decades and it's never steered us wrong!

Ah yes, all the money we save on repairs on the tanks that goes towards paying for the stuff we blow up. Noin said dryly. Milliardo elbowed her.

Exactly! the Captain thumped his chest, not the least bit bothered by the sarcasm. Anyway, that's enough chit-chat. What say we get you boys to your tanks? A loud cheer was the response.

Captain Scot led the group over to an area near the back of the pit. Two technicians were busy checking over the tanks: one standard police tank and two spider tanks. Heero and Trowa remained outwardly impassive while Quatre, Wufei, and Duo were practically drooling over the shiny new machines of mass-destruction. You like? Sally asked, smirking slightly.

We like! Quatre and Duo chorused, grunting like cavemen.

I don't like, I love! Wufei practically purred. Trowa and Heero nodded in approval but it was becoming more and more difficult for them to control their enthusiasm.

Well then, let's see who gets what the Captain said, taking a clipboard from one of the technicians. Yuy and Maxwell are assigned to the spiders (1); the rest of you are assigned to the standard.

Woo hoo!!! Duo cheered and glomped the person next to him.

Ack! Trowa yelped, and pried the braided man off.

One more thing. The Captain said. Since Chang's reflexes tested third highest, he'll be navigating (2). Barton and Winner, you'll be gunners. You all go on patrol in two hours; get acquainted with your tanks in the meantime. Sally, Noin, the Captain, and Sergeant left the boys with the technicians.

They're all set and ready to go. One of the technicians said. Just try not to go overboard on your first day out. We tend to have a problem with new officers overheating the engines.

What do you take us for, a bunch of rookies? Duo huffed. Quatre and Wufei rolled their eyes, Heero and Trowa smirked. The tech put up his hands in a placating manner.

I'm just trying to give you a little friendly advice. Come on, Floyd (3), let's go check the suspension on Officer Callahan's (4) tank.

At any rate, the boys clamored all over their tanks checking every nut, bolt, and feature. Heero was very impressed with the laser targeting system in his spider tank and spent most of the time trying to figure out how to up its accuracy. Duo was mentally comparing this tank with his previous one meticulously going over every detail; every once in a while he'd shrug and mutter it'll have to do for now.

Quatre was so excited about being in a tank of his own (never mind that he was sharing it with Trowa and Wufei) that he almost fired the turret gun inside the pit. Wufei and Trowa were being as comprehensive as Heero and Duo in their
inspection; memorizing every button, pedal, and lever.

Two hours didn't pass fast enough but when it did, the five leapt into their tanks eager to start. Before they could leave the pit, however, Noin radioed to inform the excited quintet that the Captain would be joining them in the Tank Special.

Rumbling through downtown Domino City, the officers of the 195th conducted their patrol. As they went along, captain Scot lectured them on the finer points of Tank Police duty.

Furthermore, referring to Tank Police interrogation as torture is forbidden. We pride ourselves in the fact that no one can stand up to tank police questioning. He then proceeded to rant about the glorious Tank Police. An hour into the tirade (everyone else but Quatre had stopped listening to the Captain at this point), a building exploded three blocks away. Well boys, it looks like we'll be seeing some action today after all! Step on it Noin!

Yes sir! Noin saluted swiftly and slammed the accelerator.

Maxwell, Yuy, go on ahead and see what's going on.

Roger. Heero replied.

You got it, Cappy! Duo acknowledged.

The two spider tanks sped up and left the slower tanks behind. A car came speeding around the corner and suddenly did a 180 when it was in view of the two spider-like tanks. Heero and Duo immediately gave chase.

Smirking Demon to Fearless Leader, Duo spoke into the radio. We've spotted a suspicious vehicle leaving the area of the crime scene. No license plates and running like a bat out of hell, currently in pursuit. Over. The radio crackled
and the Captain's voice came in loud and clear.

Roger that, Smirking Demon. We'll proceed to the crime scene and see if we can find out what happened. Fearless Leader out. Duo grinned into his sights.

Hey Heero! he called. What do you think? Should we let 'em try and outrun us or take 'em out right now? In reply, Heero blew up the car's rear tires with his lasers. Aww you're no fun!

Heads up, it looks like they're going to try and run for it. Heero said as three figures leapt from the car. I'll get the two on the left, you take the one up ahead.

Right! Duo cheered, then switched to the tank's Public Address system as Heero went after his marks. Hey you! You'd better stop running or I'll have to blow you to hell!

You're bluffing! the suspect screamed over his shoulder.

What makes you so sure? Duo laughed manically and lined up his sights. Last chance to give up, pal!

Screw you!

No thanks! and he fired the micro-missiles.

Oh shit!

A half block away

Give yourselves up, there' s no way you can outrun this tank. Heero said over the PA.

KABOOM The tank police officer glared in the direction of the explosion. Shortly following he head his fellow officer cackling like a maniac into the radio. Baka.The two suspects had stopped running to try and see where the explosion came from so Heero took this opportunity to fire a warning shot. The laser hit a nearby dumpster and garbage rained down on the two suspects. They looked wide-eyed at the tank behind them.

Next time I won't miss. Heero growled. The two men quickly put their hands in the air.

At the crime scene, the Captain, Sergeant Peacecraft, and Officers Noin, Chang, Winner, and Barton were interviewing witnesses and inspecting the crime scene when they heard the two explosions.

Please don't let that have been anything important Quatre prayed from where he was taping off the crime scene. Noin and Milliardo shrugged and went back to questioning one of the witnesses, the owner of the coffee shop across the street. The place that had been blown up was a book store.

Yeah, I've seen those guys before. They were here three days ago and they'd been showing up once a month before that. Mr. Tseratopolis (5), he motioned towards the charred shell of a building. would always get really upset whenever they came over. It's a good thing he decided to go to lunch early today or he might've been in there when this happened.

Thank you Mr. Johnson. You've been most helpful. Noin said, scribbling down the last statement. We'll be in touch with you if we require anything more.

It looks like the fire was started in the boiler room. Wufei reported, as he carefully came through what was left of the door. Most of the damage is centered in that area. What I find odd is that they didn't take any of the money; the register and safe are still closed and locked. No signs of them being opened before the explosion.

So we can rule out that they'd been dropping in every month to hit him up. Trowa mused.

Not necessarily, but it does make that seem less likely. I wonder what they
wanted.

We'll find out once we get back to headquarters. Captain Scot said, climbing out of the Tank Special. Yuy and Maxwell have caught our perps. A wicked grin appeared on his face. Boys, you're about to get your first lesson in Tank Police interrogation techniques. Trowa, Wufei, and Quatre looked at each other.

Mwuahaha! Cliffhanger!

1) I actually have a reason for this! DeathscytheHELL and Wing ZERO are the fastest Gundams in the entire series (Epyon can't even overtake DeathscytheHELL and rates the same for speed as Wing ZERO) so it would make sense that Duo and Heero got the fastest tanks.

2) I have a reason for this too! Altron's the third fastest so I figured Wufei's reflexes would be better than Trowa and Quatre's so I'm letting him drive.

3) Named after my recently deceased dog sniff.

4) giggles Movie reference! Guess which one and get a spot in the next chapter!

5) This is the surname of a childhood friend of mine. It took me a year to learn how to spell it right without looking at her notebook.