Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Dragon Years ❯ Unexpected Decision ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Pairings: ?

Warnings: Wufei's POV, angst, bad words, & violence

Disclaimer: Don't own Gundam Wing

The Dragon Years

Year 2: Unexpected Decision

Early Spring AC 199

Sally ran in front of him while Wufei trailed slightly behind her. They were on another mission on L1 and this time it was an assassination attempt. A man had tried to kill the Vice Foreign Minster at a peace conference and almost succeeded if not for Lady Une knocking her down in time. All the Preventers were on high alert and were after the killer.

"Wufei there he is!"

Looking towards were Sally was pointing he noticed a black cloaked man fleeing a few feet ahead of them. The man was stumbling slightly and appeared to be injured in one of his legs.

"We got him now!"

Wufei wasn't to sure about that and raced after his partner. Accessing the injured man he felt that something was right and saw a glint of something in the man's hand.

"Sally lookout!"

Raising his gun he fired and it hit the man who went down with a shriek. Luckily Sally had thrown herself to the side at Wufei's shout but immediately rushed to check on the down man. When he finally got there Sally head was down and she was gripping something in her hand.

"Sally?"

Her light brown braids were covering her face so he couldn't her eyes. He felt slightly apprehensive about the whole situation and a sense of forbidding as well.

"Wufei the man is dead and he was holding this."

He watched as she opened her hand and closed his eyes in denial. It had been a silver cross that glinted in the hallway light. He had killed a man who wasn't even holding a weapon. Gripping his fists in frustration he turned away from and bowed his head.

"Is it the killer Sally?"

"Yes it is Wufei. I found the gun hidden in his pocket and he checks out from the description that was posted."

Wufei nodded his head but didn't turn around. He was unsure how he felt about the whole situation but somehow he felt lost in that moment. A warm hand landed on his shoulder and reaching up he grasped it.

"It wasn't your fault Wufei, you were just doing your job and trying to protect me. I am going to radio to the others and tell them that the situation is under control."

He felt the warm hand leave his shoulder and listen to her report in. But somehow her words didn't reassure him in the least.

*

"Good job you two on stopping the man."

"Thank you Lady Une."

"Hn."

They were sitting in Lady Une's hotel room and were explaining the situation to her. Wufei leaned against the wall and watched as Sally talked to Lady Une about it. For the last 4 hours they had been going at it to the very last detail. He guessed that Une want to make sure everything was okay in their report and of course she had to report to the nosy media. Wufei wondered how much longer this was going to last because all he wanted to do was go to his room and rest.

"Okay you two we are finished. Sally you are dismissed but Wufei please stay a moment."

Somehow he wasn't surprised and from the look Sally shot him before leaving she wasn't either. Walking over to were Une was sitting he sat down across from her. Her expression was grimmer then before and she was regarding him with concern.

"It has come to my attention lately Preventer Chang that you have been distracted and under stress lately. Am I right?"

Narrowing his eyes Wufei wondered were she was going with this. Of course he was under stress just like every other Preventer on tour with the Vice Foreign Minister. They had to check every point and look out for would be assassins every single day.

"I think we all are Lady Une. Since it is an important mission to be guarding Relena and it would devastate peace if she was hurt or killed in anyway."

"That not what I am talking about and you know it. I am going to put you on an extended vacation until you get you act together understood."

Wufei was shocked by her announcement and felt extremely angry. How dare she force him on vacation when there was nothing wrong with him at all. He was in the best shape ever and he had solved dozens of cases in the last year alone. Slamming his hand on the table he glared across at Lady Une.

"I do not want to go on vacation Lady. Have I ever failed a mission before? Or caused you any kind of problem at all?"

The Lady shook her head at him and reached over and grasped his hand. Wufei was surprised at the compassion and concern showing on her face.

"No Wufei you haven't but I can tell that something is eating at you on the inside and until that is resolved you won't be fit for work. Basically you are dying on the inside Wufei and its only a matter of time before it kills you."

Wufei let out a tired sigh and glanced down at the coffee table. He knew she was right and denying it would not make it go away. For the past year since his run in and phone call from the other Gundam pilots he had felt so confused. He hadn't really taken the time to figure out if what Heero and Duo had said was the truth. And that fact was slowly eating away at him and causing him tons of stress. It was getting to the point that he was slightly distracted on the missions which could one day get either him or Sally killed.

"Your right Lady Une."

He felt her squeeze his hand and he returned the gesture. Raising his head he smiled a little at her and glanced away.

"Were will you go Wufei?"

He thought about it for a moment and came to a decision.

"I think I will head to L4 and see if I can find myself there."

Lady Une smiled at him warmly before nodding in agreement.

*

Stepping off the shuttle Wufei glanced around and let out a relieved sigh. He was back on L4 again and hopefully able to find the answers he was seeking.

"Hey Wufei!"

Looking across the terminal he saw a bouncing man waving his hands enthusiastically and having a silly smile on his face. His companion was blushing furiously and trying to calm him down. They seemed to be attracting the attention of a lot of people who kept giving them weird looks. Smiling Wufei walked towards the two men and stopped a few feet away. Bowing slightly to them he watched surprise looks appear on both of their faces. It was the first time he had ever shown them respect in this manner and that he wanted to as well.

"It is good to see you Quatre and Duo. I am sorry about how I reacted last year."

Walking closer to Duo he gave him a hug and put his mouth closer to his ear.

"I think that you and Heero might be right Duo and have come back here to see if it is true."

Stepping away he watched as Duo blinked at him in surprise before nodding his head solemnly.

"I am glad Chang Wufei."

Wufei glanced over at Quatre who smiled at him warmly before giving him a warm hug. Stepping away from Quatre, Wufei took a deep breath to regain his composure.

"Are you ready to go Wufei?"

Nodding at Quatre he followed them out of the terminal to a waiting black limo. Sitting by the window he watched as the car slowly drove away and let out a quiet sigh. He could hear Duo and Quatre discussing something beside him but didn't pay attention. If it was important the two of them would fill him in on it later or he could always ask.

Settling back against the plush seats he closed his eyes and just relaxed. It had been an agonizing and soul searching two weeks since he had been forced him on vacation. At first he didn't want to return to L4 even though he had said he would to the Lady. Apart of him wanted to be alone to figure out his problems but another half wanted to see the other pilots again. It had taken a lot of soul searching and a talk with Sally to decide to call Quatre again. The blond haired boy had been delighted to hear that he was coming and asked if he would stay with them. Wufei had wanted to refuse but for some reason he didn't.

"Um Wufei?"

Opening one onyx eye he regarded Duo for a moment.

"What is it Duo?"

"Are you okay?"

Both Quatre and Duo were watching him and he could see their concern. Now he understood why he had come because they were the only ones who could perhaps understand him the best. Feeling something click in place and for the first time in weeks Wufei's confusion vanished for the moment.

"Yes everything is fine for now Duo."

*