Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Matchmaker ❯ Uncontrollable Urges ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Matchmaker 13/ 20?
Author: Makoto Sagara
Series: Gundam Wing
Archive: the usual suspects (ffnet, affnet, Foreverfandom, my site, mediaminer, my update LJ, and the D&DML on yahoo); anywhere else, please ask first.
Category: Supernatural, Angst, Romance, Sap
Pairings: Eventual 2x5x2, 3x4x3, and 1xRx1
Rating: T
Warnings: Shonen ai, language, angst, sap, het, supernatural dealings
Disclaimers: Yeah, like I own Gundam Wing. (Goes off to cry, but not before turning out pockets) I am poor as well. Flames will be used to amuse my muses. They are easily entertained, but highly obnoxious.

A/N: A billion thanks go to my new beta, Jokes! <3 you for all you've done so far. Oh, and how about that last chapter, yeah? Wufei's no~ot happy! *giggles hysterically before running off to plot with the psycho muses*
Chapter Thirteen - Uncontrollable Urges
It took Heero, Quatre and Trowa to pull Wufei off of the woman, who appeared to be much worse for wear once they were able to look her over. Darkening red marks popped up around both sides of her neck. She had a blackening eye, as well as a broken lip and nose. Even though the wretched assassin was still alive, Wufei took grim pleasure in seeing that she was suffering for even thinking about hurting his…
He took a deep breath as Trowa's hands tightened on his upper arms and looked at his friends. Duo - his heart skipped a beat as he looked at the braided man - was staring, his mouth wide open in surprise. Relena had a hand covering her mouth, but Wufei suspected it was because she was trying, poorly, to hide a huge grin. Quatre was frowning, but didn't strike him as completely displeased. Heero's face was blank, but those blue eyes that Wufei had hated for so long were blinking quickly - the way they did when the Japanese man was plotting. And Trowa wasn't bothering to hide the smile that he wore.
`Well… Hm… I lose my temper, strike a woman and no one comments. That is unusual'
“Oh, it's not that we're not commenting,” Duo said, shaking his head like a dog. Wufei felt his mouth strain as the end of the American's braid smacked him on the cheek. “It's that we don't know what the hell to say.”
“How are you feeling?” he asked softly, shrugging off the others so he could make his way back across the room to Duo.
“Numb?” He sounded so lost, so unsure, so un-Duo-like, that it made Wufei's temporary moment of insanity necessary. “I dunno. I wanna lie down again.”
“I don't think you should be alone, Duo,” Relena said, making the pilots turn their attention to her. “We still don't know who hired her, who she is, what else she may have done or if there are others ready to take her place.”
“She has a point,” Quatre replied thoughtfully. “It's not like we can all just go back to our lives after this. Duo was more than likely the prime target because he was separated from us on L2. The rest of us are in the spotlight a lot, so our deaths would have been noted right away.”
“Thanks for pointing out that I'm expendable, Q,” Duo muttered. Wufei sighed and placed a hand on the other man's shoulder.
“That is not what Winner has said, and you know it.” He softened his expression as he knelt before the man he hoped to take as his lover eventually. “He was merely pointing out that you would have the least amount of protection surrounding you.”
“I'd still like to know who hired her and the orderly,” Trowa said. “When questioned, she mentioned our codenames from Operation Meteor. There are few people living with access to that information.”
“What do you suspect, Trowa?” Heero asked.
“OZ personnel, Romefeller, Alliance soldiers, the Doctors, us… and the Preventers… That's all that I can think of who would have had access to that information,” the banged man said, scowling as he finished.
“You can't possibly think that this was set up by Une or Sally Po,” Quatre snapped.
“No, of course not,” Trowa answered. “Une and Sally both understand that we are much more valuable alive and helping rebuild the world than dead.”
“So, you suspect another in the ranks?” Relena asked. “Perhaps someone who used to belong to OZ, Romefeller or the Alliance.”
“It makes sense,” Wufei answered after a long moment of thought. “However, they wouldn't have been just some low-level grunt. They'd have to have been officers.”
“Can you think of anyone like that?” Quatre asked, obviously trying to think instead of reacting.
“There are a few - aside from Une and Sally - that fit that description…” Wufei looked down to see Duo forcing his eyes back open. “I'll be back. Duo needs to lie down.” Without waiting for any comments, Wufei scooped the braided man up and carried him into the adjoining bedroom.
“Thanks, `Fei,” Duo whispered as Wufei placed him carefully on the bed. “Meds are making me sleepy.”
“It's my pleasure.”
“I know,” the braided man said. “Don't hate me, then?”
“No, I don't hate you. Why would you think that?”
“'Fore, your thoughts were all mad when I told you. Now, you just want to hurt that chick out there.”
“I would never hurt Relena,” he half-joked.
“You're cute, `Fei.” Duo gave a huge yawn that made him look like a child fighting a nap. “'M not a kid. Stop thinkin' like that. `M a grown man, dammit.”
“I know you're not a child, Duo.” Wufei leaned over and kissed the American's forehead as his blue-purple eyes slid shut. `I'm well aware of the fact of just what you are, Duo Maxwell.'
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
“We need that information,” Heero growled. He was pacing. It was such an unlikely gesture that Relena couldn't help but smile a little. “The longer we sit here, the more time passes that a second, or third, person could be sent out to take out all of us.”
“Your impatience isn't helping,” Quatre said, closing his eyes in thought. “We are all aware of the danger that this woman poses, Heero.”
“No torture,” Relena said. “I won't be part of the torture of another human being.”
“You wouldn't be a part of it if you left,” Wufei said from the open bedroom door. “Although, there are other ways of getting someone like that to talk.”
“Such as?” she challenged. Getting these four to talk about anything from the wars was virtually impossible, and no one could stonewall like a former Gundam pilot, she'd found.
“Unimportant for you to know,” the Chinese man said levelly. “Trowa?” The banged man nodded and looked down at Quatre.
“Take Relena to her room and stay there for a while.”
“No,” Relena shouted, making everyone stare at her. “Just because I said no torture that doesn't mean you can just shunt me over to the side because you think I'll object to what you're going to do.”
“You understand that if you stay, you have no say in what happens,” Heero said. She nodded after a moment of thought. “The second you feel like protesting at what we do, you're going in the bedroom with Duo and don't get to come out until we're done.”
“I understand.”
“Fine, any ideas how to start?” And with that, they seemed to act as if she'd melded into the wallpaper. She watched them as they talked to one another. Oddly enough, it was just like when Duo was in the hospital. Their faces were drawn and they were speaking in quiet, intense tones.
The longer that they acted as if their prisoner wasn't there, the more the woman began shifting in her bonds. Relena was sure that she wasn't the only one who noticed her when Heero turned and glared at her. She stilled and her face shut down to resemble the blank mask that Heero himself used to wear during the wars. “Move and I'll shoot you.”
“I've heard stories about you, 01,” she snarled, an ugly, vicious sound that made the hairs on Relena's arms stand on end. “You had many opportunities to kill both Peacecrafts and didn't take them. Neither did you kill 05 during the Eve War. Excuse me if I'm not worried about you.”
“Then you're stupid,” Wufei shot back. “While Heero may not have killed any of the people in this room or Marquise, those weren't the only targets he's ever had. You'd be smart to remember what happened to them.”
“Am I supposed to be afraid of you, 05?” She glared, but the look was ruined by the many bruises and cuts she'd suffered at the Chinese man's hands previously. “You haven't killed me, even when you found out what happened to your precious 02. And I heard you cried when you finally killed Khushrenada. You're weak.”
The sound of the back of Quatre's hand connecting with her already abused face reverberated throughout the room. Not even Relena was going to tell him to not hit her after she spat so much venom at her friends. “If you know the stories, then you know who I am and what I've done. Don't think that I will take pity on you because you're a woman. You've threatened not only my very good friend, but you work for someone who sees the rest of us as acceptable collateral damage. That's unacceptable. Shut up or I'll break your jaw with the next hit.”
Wisely, the assassin seemed content with being silent after that. The look in her eyes could have peeled the wallpaper, but she was quiet.
Relena swallowed down the fear that the blond man's ice cold voice had raised. `I think I'll be better off in the room with Duo. I don't think I want to know just what they're going to do anymore.' She stood from the couch and they turned to look at her. “I'm going to go lie down myself,” she said shakily. Wufei and Heero nodded at her while Trowa gave her an understanding smile. Quatre stepped forward and sighed.
“I'm sorry about you having to see that, Relena, but I'm not sorry that I did it.”
“I know, Quatre, and I know that you were a Gundam pilot just like the rest of them, but sometimes it's just so easy to forget that you've killed people.”
“Even after Heero brought me to Sanq?”
“Yes, even after that,” she said with a small smile. “Come and get me when you're ready to go, Heero.” Her boyfriend nodded and she went to sit with Duo while he slept.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
“It seems as if she has been caught by the Gundam pilots, sir,” a mousy looking man said as he looked around the darkened office.
“This is the second agent you've supplied that has failed,” the burly man growled. “You promised me results and you've given me a whole lot of nothing. Unacceptable. Fix this.”
“I'm so sorry, sir. I'll make sure that 02 is disposed of. I promise.”
“I don't want promises! I want results!” The burly man jumped up from his seat and picked up the other man by the collar of his shirt. “I've paid you a lot of money to do this job, and you have yet to show me that you're worth it. Stop sending in your agents if they're so bad. Take care of this yourself, or I will have your head mounted on my wall, instead of 02's ridiculous braid.”
“Yes, sir,” the second man whimpered.
“Good, get out of my face,” the other man growled, tossing the smaller man on the floor roughly. “One week!”
TBC
Aff.net review replies can be found at: http://makochanupdates.livejournal.com/23949.html