Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ there's an unconcious boy on my couch ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

There's an unconscious boy on my sofa
 
 
 
 
Rain hid practically everything from view. All I could see were the bright lights of my sister's jeep, pulling into the drive. Ah there she is, and there's another, and another person. Six people got out of that beast. Six!
I hear the door out in the hall creaking noisily as it was opened. Note to self: fix that dammed creak! And six pairs of shoes, clattering on the solid wood floor, that I so painstakingly varnished just the other week.
“Hey Cassia! Who's come in with you?” I shouted
Her dark head appeared in the doorway.
“Hi Karli. Um we may have a problem”
“Why?” a sickening thud followed my question. I bounced off the couch, leaving my dog, and out the door, only to be tripped over by a fallen figure.
“Shit! Who the hell is that?”
“That” a cold voice explained “is Duo”
“Karli, what do we do?” Aww. God bless my sister, she may be a weapons expert, but taking control of a situation without guns, is just beyond her reach.
I stood up to take charge “right the first thing we do is get him off the floor and into the living room, then we get the blonde boy sitting down cause he looks ready to pass out as well” as Cassia helped the black and brown haired boys get the one called Duo onto the couch, the taller one helped the blonde boy to a chair, while I ran to get the first aid kit.
 
 
 
So much for a quiet evening watching the videos I'd fetched. While waiting in the queue for the cash machine, I saw four boys help steady a fifth. Leaving the queue I ran across the car park to see if they needed help.
The braided boy looked so pale, and just like me I froze, sick people are not my strong point, so doing the only thing I could, I brought them home to Karli, she'd know what to do, I hope she isn't angry, our relationship as sisters has only formed, and I don't want to be alone again.
I can't believe this, after taking off duo's shirt we discover a gaping hole in his left shoulder.
“ Bloody hell” Karli's voice snapped me out of shock “Cassia get me bandages quick, and you Trowa is it? Get Blondie there something to eat, the kitchen's just down the hall.”
 
 
 
Bandages, bandages where are the bandages. Running back to the living room I find that my sister has had lots of fun with the boy's shirt, now sopping wet with blood and rainwater.
 
 
 
How could they not notice this, no wonder he's passed out, not only is he exhausted, wet and cold, he also has a wound the size of Big Ben. Thank god my sister's back with the bandages.
“Right, time to wrap him up. Oi! You two help me sit him up”
Crossing the small space the dark haired boy glared and said “call us by our names”
Cassia came immediately to the rescue “formal introductions later, first we have to help your friend.”
 
 
 
After bandaging Duo up and learning the other's names Karli rounded on them in the kitchen.
“How could you not notice that sleeping beauty in there has a hole in his SHOULDER?”
Heero looked up “it's not our fault he got shot and didn't say anything about it”
Going slightly more red my sister was about to shout when the small voice of Quatre butted in “I don't think who's fault it is, is important. What we should be asking is whether Duo will be alright”
Looking across the kitchen I see Wufei and Trowa nodding in agreement.
Seeing the concern in Quatre's eyes, Karli visibly softened, sighing she looked around her and then at the floor.
“I don't know.”
This simple statement seemed to make the room shrink. Every thing deadened immediately and something more than friendly concern flickered across Heero's deep blue eyes.
Trowa broke the silence “could it be fatal?”
Quatre's face showed the realisation that their friend might never crack a bad joke again. Trowa, seeing this, bent his head and kissed the golden hair and looked up at my sister.
 
 
 
How can I tell them, how can I tell them that he only has a slim chance of living, that more help will be available at the hospital, but moving him and the journey there will most defiantly finish him off, even in an ambulance and that if he doesn't die of the lack of blood and exhaustion, he'll die of pneumonia.
“Well let's not think of that, he will recover and that's that. Now I think that every one should have something to eat before we find you a bed okay”
Good old Cassia she always brings a ray of hope with her no matter what, but I'm afraid that Duo's going to need more that optimism to pull through.
 
 
 
 
After making dinner, Karli went to see if there was any thing appropriate and dry for the boys to change into and I went to find room and beds for them to stay. Alone I let my thoughts wander back to the conversation in the kitchen, even after I had tried to change the mood, all of them, including Karli stayed pretty silent, although through strained questioning I found out why they were here. It seems that they need to lay low and fix the machines that they parade round in shooting other machines, and since our colony is so far away for even oz to bother us it seemed the ideal place.
I can hear them now, talking, assessing their options and wondering what to do next, they'll want to get them mobile suites of theirs and hide them in a more accessible spot, close enough to get to handy, yet far enough away to keep them hidden, also wondering whether to trust us enough to be able to leave Duo here in our care.
I go down stairs to the dining room where the four have finished eating and are starting to get up and put the dishes in the kitchen, well at least they're nice enough to be clean. “Just leave the plates, they will be done in the morning,” I tell them “you should all be warming nicely now, I'm afraid we only have two showers so you'll have to take it in turns if you all want one ” murmuring their thanks they got up ready to follow me up stairs when Karli came down.
“Your clothes are upstairs in your rooms, I'm going to go and check on Duo” with that she left the room and I didn't see her till and hour later.
 
 
 
 
Standing inside the dark room, I can smell dry blood, the bandages must need changing, and I can hear him breathing, at least he is breathing. Thank god.
It takes me thirty minutes to put fresh bandages on and clean the wound again, luckily it's clean, or that would be another thing for him to fight. The other thirty minutes I talk to him, I know he can't hear a word I say but it always makes me feel better knowing that I've told them the situation, whether they know it or not, and also, sick and wounded people are so easy to talk to. He has a fever, only a slight one, but even that can sap what little strength he has, so god help him if it gets worse.
As I open the door I see Heero waiting outside.
“How is he?”
His voice may be gruff and unemotional but his eyes tell different, I can see pain and worry, I also see deep concern and something more, for the boy lying on my sofa, something much more. The few seconds that I stare at him turn into a minute, looking away I answer “he has a slight fever and there is no infection” I move towards the kitchen.
“But is he better?”
“He's not got worse”
I decide to give going to the kitchen a miss, I know that I couldn't stand Trowa's cool gaze or Quatre's hopeful face, not without breaking down, not with out being reminded of Rick any more, I couldn't stand it, not yet.
 
 
 
 
It has been three months, three months since my sister lost her fiancée, three months since he died and she could do nothing more to save him and now the same situation has landed on her doorstep. God why did I do it? Why? I know keeping her busy with decorating the house has helped, making her feel less useless will heal some of the pain and now doing this, I've probably undone three months of hard work, comforting and long days of knowing that my sister holds a pain inside her that will never really go away. With my head still in my hands, I know she has come in, I know she is here in my room looking to be comforted by me, I tell my self that I have to say something, anything to lighten the mood the has settled in Karli, but as I look up I know it is impossible, I cannot say anything funny, anything comforting, I can't say anything.
 
 
 
 
She looked at me in a way I've never seen before; all I understood was that I might have come up here to be comforted but it was my sister who needed comforting, my strong solid Cassia, but now it was my turn to be there for her. I walked across the room and sat down on the bed next to her.
“What's the matter?” is that all I can ask `what's the matter?'
“Nothing”
“I don't believe you” that shouldn't have come out like that. A few minutes passed, I put my arm round her and I can feel the tension building up, waiting to come out.
“I'm sorry Karli, I'm so sorry. I should have never brought them here, it was stupid, I wasn't thinking about you, I wasn't thinking about the person who means the most to me. Every thing that happened with Rick, and everything that we've done to help each other get over it has all been for nothing, I've undone everything. I could understand you being upset and angry with me, but please don't leave me, your all I have.”
Leave her? How could I? She's the one who has helped me, been patient with me, not giving up on me, even when I'd given up myself?
“How could I?” she looks at me with tear stained eyes, questioning me. “You saved me. You're the one who I could never do without. You may have been my true sister for three months, but those three months have been some of my happiest, even if I was a wreck”
“ Your not angry then?”
Sitting in silence, I hugged Cassia tighter.
“Of course not, you're my sister, and even though you may do something without thinking, I'll always love you and even if I was angry, I wouldn't be angry for long.”
 
 
 
 
A loud bark and a yell sent me and Karli nearly tripping on the carpet, as we raced downstairs. We burst into the games room where we found an extremely muddy, Din trying to make a terrified Quatre climb the walls and the other three trying to get the huge dog away. Karli took one look at this scene and laughed.
A red faced Wufei stood up, glared at my sister “Can you please get this…thing away from Quatre”
“Din, come here baby”
The huge dog immediately bounded towards my sister, tongue lolling and everything, skidding to a halt; he sat and looked at Karli with adoring eyes.
When my sister first arrived she had only the house to give her attention to, and I knew that the house would be finished soon, so one day I took her to the dog shelter to find her a furry friend, I had expected her to get a small dog, because she doesn't like anything big, but she took one look at him and then at me, and well the rest is history.
Still glaring at the dog Wufei and Trowa helped Quatre down off the back of the couch, while Heero made his way toward us.
“Back to our previous conversation, Karli, is Duo any better?”
Taking a deep sigh, Karli looked directly at him “it depends on what you call better, he is breathing easier…”
“So he's getting better”
 
Dear Quatre, so full of hope, I wish he will not loose that optimism, but he will, they all will, as me and Cassia have lost ours.
“He's breathing easier and his wound isn't bleeding as much, but other than that, there is no change, but then again it has only been a few hours. Him being out of the rain and cold has helped, but not much. We will have to wait till morning to see any positive changes”
“And tomorrow will come quicker if we go to bed” smiling at Cassia's statement I nod in agreement.
“Cassia's right, you are probably tired anyway, a good nights sleep will do you good, and try not to worry about your friend too much, you will need your rest”
“Plus Karli's got her hands full with Duo so she don't need any of you getting sick from lack of rest”
It's amazing, Wufei smiled…ish, okay, it was more of a flicker but it was there, at least we know he's not got emotional problems, just humour related ones.
 
“Good night Duo, get better, good night Trowa ”
“`Night Quatre” `'Night Duo'
`Get better Maxell'
`You stupid baka, why did you not say anything, you should have, I couldn't stand it if I lost you'
 
 
 
 
 
“Well, well, well, that is an interesting sight”
“Get lost, Cassia”
“Tch aww, poor Wufei, you still tired? Or do you just need to comb you pretty hair?”
“I said get lost”
“Well nothings wrong with your mood”
“WHY DID YOU LET THAT THING IN?!”
Wufei fell of his stool as a very hyper Din took a giant leap at him, and landed on the boy's chest.
“Morning Cassia, hmm, it looks like Wufei won't need a wash after all” smirking Trowa sat down with Quatre and poured himself and Wufei a coffee.
“Doesn't Quatre want a coffee?”
“Don't worry Cassia, Trowa's not being ignorant or anything, it's just that I don't drink coffee in the morning”
Karli walked in the kitchen then, looking worse than Wufei. I arch my eyebrow.
“What the hell happened to you? It looks like Din dragged you through every ditch and muddy puddle he could find” getting off the floor and back on to his stool Wufei muttered something that we couldn't hear, but it made Din growl at him.
“I couldn't sleep” Karli not sleeping, this can't be right, but then again, we have a hyper dog, a bushy Chinese boy, one who's a Cyclops and one who doesn't like coffee, oh and one who appears to have, well, disappeared. Moving off the subject I turned my attention to the frying pan, thank god our next-door neighbour's got a big family, and has lent us a frying pan that could cook a whole army's breakfast.
 
 
 
 
Placing a huge pile of hot food onto everyone's plate, Cassia looked satisfied with the wide smile and grateful looks she got off the lads
“You get that lot down your necks, while I go and find that lazy bag of bones, you call Heero”
“Heero's not asleep”
“Then Wufei, you tell me where he is”
“I'm here” the quiet voice of the almost emotionless Heero came after the loud creak of the front door, which I must fix before it sends me completely insane
Waving an accusing wooden spoon at Heero, my sister started a little interrogation session.
“And where have you been?”
“Out”
“Where?”
“To wing zero, but that's none of your business”
This is not going well, I know from personal experience that Cassia is her sharpest in the morning and that she'll take no back chat from anyone not even Rick
“Oh really. So it's none of my business that, you leave my house without anyone's knowledge, and of course it's none of my business that, if by any remote chance and oz officer just happens to see you and just happens to recognise you and just happens to end up bringing half an army to this colony”
“You right, it's not”
“Well then it's not any of my business where you sleep and eat tonight then?” silently Heero moved out of the kitchen, down the hall and out the creaky front door. Which wouldn't have been too bad had he not slammed the door.
 
 
 
 
 
That bastard hasn't come back yet. It's been six hours and he's not been back yet, I would have thought that he would have been back to check on Duo, or at least tell the others where he was going, in case something happens that he should know about. Maybe I was a bit evil, I know I shouldn't have said things like that, but I guess he should learn, that no matter who he is, he should take account of others personalities, and after what I had done for them, jeopardising my sister's happiness and all, well I'd have thought he'd be a little grateful.
“You seen him yet?” Trowa stood beside me in the garden.
“You know I haven't. I didn't see him in town, when I took Din for a walk or out here”
“You seem worried about him”
I can't believe this, Trowa's right, I am worried about him. I know he can take care of himself, but I have this feeling that Duo is one of the first to get close to him and the only one to get that close to him.
“I am”
“Why?”
“He may not show it, but he is very, I dunno, scared about what will happen to Duo and what will happen to him if… well you know”
“Yes. I know” he was silent for a while, I wonder what he's thinking. “Karli wants you to come in, she needs you to take your turn early”
“Why?”
“She said something about seeing some guy called Jason”
Shit that can't be good.
 
 
 
 
This is going to be difficult, but I know that there is no other way of getting the medicine Duo needs in time.
“Your going to Jason's aren't you?”
“Yes” keep it simple and she'll not ask to many questions
“But you hate the guy, you even tried to kill him once, so why go to him”
“Duo needs some pretty rare medicine and the only way I can get it is through him”
“Then let me come with you”
“No!”
“Why? I know he's going to try some thing, he's just that sort of um person”
“I know”
“Then don't go on your own”
“I'm not”
“Who are you going with?”
“Trowa”
“What? Why Trowa? Why not me?”
“Because no one will question the fact that he can hurt them, and it will help deter a fight”
“I can do that”
“Plus I need you here to keep every thing in order”
“Take Wufei as well, just as a precaution, you know just in case”
“Thank you” I left then, to join Trowa in the jeep, we were about to pull out when Wufei jumped in the back. I guess she was serious.
 
 
 
 
 
“That's a big rat,” Wufei pointed out
Trowa looked around “are you sure this is the place”
“Yes” No. But he has got to be here
“That's a really big rat”
“How long has it been since you was here?”
“About three years”
“That's an even bigger rat”
“Alright Wufei it's a big rat. Now can we find Jason, please?”
“Hey Karli”
“What Wufei?”
”This medicine we're getting, it will help Duo”
“It should do”
The conversation dropped as we found a door heavily spray-painted, I'm now very glad to have these two with me. Trowa knocked loudly on it, a tall tattooed man opened it.
“Yeah”
“We're looking for Jason”
“Hey look babe, Jason don't see nobody, unless we knows `em”
“Trust me, he knows who I am”
“Wait here”
A few seconds later the door opened again
“He says you're allowed in”
As we entered the smoke filled room I noticed a number of large men, and whores crowded round a smaller figure.
“Ah Karli, what brings you here, I haven't seen you since the night you tried to kill me. Was I that bad?”
“Save your jokes for some one who cares, we both know you would be dead if it hadn't been for my sister”
“True. True”
“I need some thing”
“Oh really? Well you get your little bodyguards to wait out side and then we will talk business”
I could see Trowa and Wufei looking round, sizing up their opponents, thinking of the best way to take them down, with out bloodshed, or as little as possible.
“No. You have your bodyguards I have mine, if you want them to go, so do yours”
“Touché. Fine, they will stay. Now what do you need from me”
“Medicine, Lamphordoriac, to be precise”
Jason choked in the mouthful of cheap booze.
“You want what. No. No way, there is no way you can have that stuff, do you know how much it costs?”
“Yes and for you it's not much, I know the deal you have with your supplier, so now you can either sell me some, or I can take it”
A small smile crept on to Jason's face, showing yellow, uneven teeth.
“Yes you could take it from me, but I think I'd rather do a deal with you, pay me three hundred and I get one date with you”
There was a quiet cough from the open window; Cassia was casually sitting in it, playing with the blade of one of her knives, a large gun strapped to her thigh and in plain view of every one in the dingy room
“Um Jason. Hi I'm sorry, were you just trying to trick my sister into your bed?”
What the hell is she doing here, how did she get here and who's with Quatre and Duo?
 
 
 
 
I knew it. I just knew it, of course that shit bag wants to have sex with Karli, but I swear, if he lays one finger one her, he won't have anything left for any one to play with.
“So Jason, I see you're spending your life in complete luxury. Now back to this deal, I say we pay two hundred and I won't rip your balls off and make you eat them”
I can see that Trowa approves of the idea and that Wufei is slightly interested in torturing him, and I know full well that Karli would enjoy seeing him squirm, but I can see that he is not going to take a chance on us doing that.
 
 
 
Jason visibly gulped and several of his whores moved away, the large men around him either didn't know whether to take her seriously or which of her weapons to watch. Thankfully for all the slime he has, Jason knew that the cowards way was the smartest and safest, it's not exactly a secret that my sisters hate for him rivals my own, the only reason she stopped me that night was because I wouldn't have been careful enough not to get caught.
“Well, Cassia, you certainly make a good deal, Rocco, get the Lanphordoraic”
 
Back in the car, I am so glad my sister came along, sitting in the back of the huge jeep; I catch her staring at me.
“What are you looking at?”
“You wanted to go through with the whole, rip your balls off and make you eat them, idea”
“No I didn't”
“Yes you did”
How does she know me so well? “Did you leave Quatre on his own?”
”No, I left him with Din and the slightly starved Heero”
Stopping at the traffic lights Wufei turned round to talk to us.
“So he has reappeared then”
At that moment Trowa took off slightly faster than he should, sending Wufei flying over the low seats. Wufei had just untangled himself, not to mention the muttering, when we arrived home.
Quatre was standing out side the house with Din.
”Quatre what's the matter?”
“Nothing Trowa, except that Duo's awake”
“What!” we all rushed into the house.
 
Well he is still pale, but he's awake. After getting stuck in the doorway, Trowa ended up with a mouthful of dog hairs, flat on his back with a cursing Chinese on his chest, while Quatre just got out of the way in time before Cassia landed on him.
“Who are you and what am I doing here, where is here, where's shiningami, and what is that dog doing to my feet, stop it you mutt, that tickles… and laughing hurts”
“Din stop it. Right, Duo I need to ask you a few questions, okay”
“That's fine but who are you?”
“My name is Karli, and I think you might know my sister, Cassia.” Cassia nodded and smiled brightly
“So Duo, how do you feel? Do you feel light headed, dizzy, nauseated?”
“No, but my shoulder hurts like hell, I have a headache that is large enough to be caused by a gundam sitting on me and I'm tired”
“Of course you are” Heero said from the window. Moving towards the sofa Heero sat down on the floor. “You got shot and didn't tell us you stupid bastard” unfortunately before Heero could say any more a soft snoring sound, emitted from Duo's open mouth.
“Baka”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Ahhhh! Duo what are you doing out of bed?”
Breathing heavily Duo lent against the table and me for support.
“Just getting a snack,” he said in a weak voice
“Well next time you shout up, not come into the kitchen and nearly pass out again…to late” great, this is the third time I've had to stop him doing things he shouldn't, the first and second time it was just getting up, but this time he managed to get to the kitchen.
Hauling him back to the living room, I see that Heero had spent the night down here, again and is still asleep in his quilt. It's been three days since Duo woke up, and three times he's passed out, another day's setback from him being able to pilot his gundam. After setting Duo down and tucking him in, I notice that Heero's watching me.
“You've been watching me and you didn't offer to help”
“You seemed quite capable” oh how I hate his sarcasm
“You're right I am, but that shouldn't stop you being nice, and helping once in a while”
“It shouldn't”
Arrrghhhh. Keep calm, no violence allowed in this house, smile sweetly and leave. So I did, I smile sweetly and left, but I some how managed to punch a hole in the wall on my way out.
 
 
 
 
 
Now nursing a swollen hand Cassia told me of Duo's early morning walk, while I was mixing plaster to fill the hole she'd put into my wall, maybe I could guilt Heero into doing this, but I have a feeling that he won't feel any, any way, he and the others are painting the summerhouse, next I think I'll get Quatre to give Din a bath.
“So tomorrow he'll have another pounding headache”
“Yeah. Hey Karli how are them tablets working”
“They're working great”
“What do they do?”
“They help produce blood and fight off infection”
This is what I like, silence. It's not the lonely silence; it's the sort that makes you feel warm and safe.
“KARLI!!!!!” so much for silence.
“It sounds like they need rescuing from Din again”
“Don't worry Karli I'll go”
“What and leave me fixing the mess you made?”
“Yeah.” Bang! Out the door and down the garden. Oh well, this means I get to talk to Duo that is if he's conscious.
 
 
 
Two weeks on and duo's doing great, Karli's been going down to the lake with him and Heero to build up his strength again, he can now swim five laps round the lake. Mw and din have been doing our bit as well, we go running every morning, Heero tagging along. I wish that guy would say something to duo, cause him playing the shadow is doing my nut in, I'd never thought I'd say this but I think he could do with some emotional exercises or something cause this is getting ridiculous, I have to tell him off for getting in karli's way while she's checking on duo's rapidly healing would
 
 
Three weeks later Duo and the others are ready to go, gundams fixed and oz off their trail, it's time for them to leave. Over the last few weeks we've had, four races between Cassia and Heero, just to see who is faster at reloading some massive gun, we've had Wufei's birthday (burnt apron courtesy of Din) Din got food poisoning from the fish, Quatre had a big mud bath when he and Trowa took Din for a walk, Trowa ended up in the mud with him and Duo ended up sharing a bath with Cassia when they decided to wash the dog afterwards.
We are not likely to forget this month.
 
 
 
 
 
 
With our last good byes and a suffocating hug off of Duo finished with, Karli and me watched as the five huge machines take off. It really was an inspiring sight, with a silent hilltop and a well-placed sunset the image would appear surreal. Walking home Karli turned to me.
“I think it's time to get back into the game Cassia”
“You want to join the army again?”
“Yeah. I think I will. I'm sure the captain will give me my old job back.”
“Alright! The sisters are back in action, woo!”
When we got home we planned to give Captain Ford a call when a radio call came over our COM link, it was Wufei.
“KARLI! That THING shit in my cockpit!!!!!!!!”
Din looked up with a guilty look on his doggy face. We just laughed.