Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Trilogy:Journey to the center of the soul ❯ Trilogy Series: Journy to the center of the soul. ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
QJourney to the center of the SoulQ
Trilogy Part one.

By:Dark Shinigami/03
Chapter 1: God's Given Gift.

The decent was slow.

"How do I get into these messes?" The young priest roughly the age of twenty-five sighed out. Always on the quest to do the right thing, he always seemed to be the one that was elected to do all the dirtry work. Duo had his face to the wall, his back to the dark dank chamber. The rotting ladder groaned with each step down. The pugnent stentch of rotting flesh and dampness was over powering. As the young priest lowered himself down the ladder, the light above grew fainter, the only thing that got stronger, was the smell.

He dropped past a hallow nitch in the wall and found himself face to face with a skull. Duo caught his breath. Looking around him as he clung to the ladder, the wall at this level was all honey combed with shelf like openings. All of them filled with skeltons. In the phosphus glow, skulls and rib cages, rotting away glowed with a eerie light. Climbing all the way down, Duo found the spongy earth at the bottom. The ground beneath his feet was damp. Advanceing though the murkyness of the crypt, Duo looked around. The ground dark, molded and musty. Duo did'ent like this, he was alone, in bearly visable dark. Squinting in the dim light, he could hardly make out anything. Voices, muffled and lost to him came from above. Looking around again he could'ent find anything. They were playing with him again. Some small prank that they played on all new assigned priests? or just because Duo's reputation had proceeded him to this Parish already. They could'ent be seriouse. There was plenty of spirits down here, Duo could sense them. Just no demons.

They, being the other and more established priests of the Parish, had a good laugh at Duo. Sending Duo down there into the old crypt they had come to know as "The Demons Hole", was to much of a temptation to pass up. The Demons Hole was a dumping place for all of those, who's family could'ent afford the proper burial. No one really knew how many people or decades of generations where burried in there. Duo came out of the underground crypt, coughing and fighting his gag reflex from the smell. "There's no demon down there" Duo said looking somewhat dissapointed and upset that he had been duped. "There's spirits yes, but not anything else." Duo though, knew why they had sent him down there. They knew why Duo was at this Parish in the first place. It was not the first time that Duo had been 'shipped around' from Parish to Parish. Duo was a 'visionary'. Not in the sense we know. He could 'Feel' and 'See' demons or other entitys. It was a gift that he had recived since he was small. When he started talking about the dreams and feelings that he got about his home. He was sent off to the Parish for talking about such wicked things. Where maybe he would learn. That he did.

Duo had hit a gold mine. I would tell about the spirits that he could feel in the Parishes and the ones that he saw of the ones that had been there before romeing the halls. As you can guess, not many liked knowing that there was 'others' among them as they were not so open minded. Duo would be shipped off to another Parish to get rid of him. Soon stories slipped out and Duo became known as the "Other Worldly Priest" the one that could "See the other side". Though some thought he was into some form of witch craft. Duo sured them he was not. It was just something that he was gifted with. The ones at this Parish seemed to understand a bit more, and did'ent seem to mind when he would say that he. "Passed an old Priests ghost in the hall" or could hear prayers being spoken in the halls when there was no one there. It did bring about a fair amount of teaseing from the others. They would send him on "Demon Hunts" of course..that were false and then laugh at him, watching him stalking about at night on the Parish grounds or sending him into musty crypts.

He did how ever take it in good humor, after all they would never understand. They continued to ask Duo if he had "dreamed any visions" or smitten any deamons lately. It was about this time that the Elder Father of near the age of seventy, came along to see what the ruckus was about. Finding them only once more, teaseing Duo. The Elder Father sent them away. If they had time for foolishthings, they had time to do work..something more productive. The Elder Father came up to Duo after they had left. "Duo, don't listen to them. most of them are only here because there Familys made them. It's not for many, there calling." He then gently placed a hand on Duo's shoulder. "But you, I know you are at the right calling, you have a special gift in you" he gave a soft smile to Duo, "Come, walk with me" The Elder Father asked as he pulled Duo along.

The two of them walked along the peaceful grounds of the aged Church. Gardens and grounds that many a time, Duo had worked and weeded. Work that he did'ent mind at all. It gave him time to think about things and find a inner peace all in the beauty of nautre that God had created.

"Duo" The Elder Father began. Calling fellow Fathers by there first name, was considered a show of friendship and closeness. "I have been considering this for some time now. You have served this humble church many a years now since you came here as a young and saddly unwanted orphan" Duo stopped and turned to look at the Elder Father. The seriouseness and the tone of the conversation told Duo what was about to happen. "Elder Father!" the tone not out of friendship. Duo was upset. "What have I done to upset you? I did all that was asked of me and more" "It's not that Duo-"The Elder Father trieing to calm the conversation and keep people from listening in. Duo refused to be quiet. "Then why? Why are you doing what your about to do? I'm happy here. The chuch is my home, why are you sending me away?"

Blinking quickly the Elder Father was taken back. How had Duo known what he was going to request of the young priest. Maybe someone had over heard or found out, but he had told no one and written it no where. "Duo, sometimes we must leave the safty of our home to find our truth path, the one that was set for us. As long as you stay here. Your not going to find what it is that your looking for. Only be content to live this life of servitude." "But I have found it!" Duo raised his voice. A gathering of nuns that were in the garden looked over toward them, the whispers among them, no doubt was about the two priests. "Duo" He tried again. "I don't want you to go anymore then what you yourself want to, but I feel you have a much greater calling then serveing here. You have something more then any of us do. Your going to have to trust me and seek to find it." The Elder Father reached out and patted Duo's shoulder. Duo had always been something special around the chuch and in more ways then just his ablity. Always optimistic, willing to give when he had no more to do so, he was also very strong willed as well. When others would give up. He would persist them further into finding a way.

A light breeze picked up and gently graced the gardens makeing the leaves dance in the wind and carried the scent of the flowers. Duo felt his long Umber brown braid that was well down past his hips brush against his back. Duo knew he was right....he would always be missed by them, the one with Cobalt blue eyes and long well kept hair that no one ever had a bad thing to say about. Well at least..when he was not in ear shot. Duo could'ent belive it had been only four years since he came to the Parish. "you have a very kind and giveing soul. Theres no doubt in my mind that this was your calling, but you have also been given a devine gift." Duo who was listening yet thinking off elsewhere suddenly looked to the Elder Father. "A gift?" It was more like a curse. It seemed to drive him away from his homes. "How can this be a gift. Always makeing me alone. No one wanting me?".The Elder Father gave a soft smile. " A gift none the less. Only from God, It is because of this gift that I must let you go, so you can discover and use it's power on your own."

It had been decided, Duo was to leave the chuch. The parish he knew and search for something he did'ent know about, where? that was unknowen as well. He just knew that now the time had come. He was on his own.


Chapter 2: The Vision Made.

The journey was going to be long and lonely. Duo did'ent even know what it was that he was to find, or even if what he was looking for, was going to be at the end. The only thing that Duo knew was that if his visions were correct, it was going to be one hell of a trip. One that he was not going to be comeing back from. In his normal fashion. Duo was willing to journey to find out.

A ration of food and water, changes of clothing and a ragged bible was all that he carried in a worn leather satchel that rested at his hip. It's strap slung over his shoulder. The sisters had given Duo a long cloak like Coat to keep the wind and rain out. Woven of thick dark blue fabric with a soft, deep purple satin lineing. It's wide open pleated bell sleeves giveing him free range of motion. It was wonderful, and warm. The Elder Father gave him his staff. Walking stick if you like. It was a smoothed and polished staff of dogwood. The Dogwood tree being that of wich the well known crusiform was made from. Atop the staff was a delicatly carved angels head and stylized wings. Someone to watch over him. Gathering to watch Duo leave it was always a sad event when one of their "Family" had to leave to find there own path. As they said their good-byes, one young sister, whom Duo always had a fondness to since he came there, and the feeling was returned, came foward. She hugged to Duo, reaching down pressing something into the palm of his hand. Duo from the feel of it, knew what it was, it was her rosary. "Come back to us safe" She gently whispered to him. Duo flushed a light blush.

Looking back to the old church as Duo got to the old rod iron gates and pile stone fence, he took in the scene one last time before Duo looked ahead to the rolling green hills and the dirt road that cut though them, winding it's way along the land, like some great mud river. Duo's journey had began.

Duo had no map, no idea where he was going, only the feeling , the pull of something that was telling him to follow his heart. Shifting the weight of the satchel over his hip Duo gave a glance to the sky. The warm sunlight out on the grounds. Walking along the dusty road a while now the trees parted and thined, giveing way to beautiful fields of green land. It had been hours now since he left "home", the church. Not one car or means of people had crossed his path since. This was no surprize. The Parish was far away from any real village. The Parish was out in the counrtyside away from any noise or destraction. It was somewhat of a lonely feeling, but he had known he was only to follow the road and it would take him to some small village. What Duo did'ent know, was that there was going to be a change in his path. A breeze picked up and pulled Duo's coat ahead of him, pulling it against his legs. Clouds raced across the sky, throwing giant shadows of their shape.

Duo could'ent help but laugh. "Am I not moveing fast enough for you?" He asked out to the invisable Seraphim, he was sure were around him, pulling to him. "All things in good time" Duo said softly. The heavy passing clouds above growled as the grew heavy with rain. Rain would be a nice change. Duo had noticed the fields were dry and had often prayed it would rain soon for those who made there lively hood by their fields crops. By the time Duo had reached the belt of woods that interscected the road, the sky had just about compleatly grown gray. Continueing down the road it was then that he found a choice had to be made. There was two roads. The road came to a fork and went diffrent directions. Duo came to the fork and looked to each path. The well travled road was clean, no weeds no overgrowth. The other, less travled, if at all was well over grown with weeds and plants. It ventured off into the woods. "Now, how dose that old attage go?" Duo said scratching the back of his head in thought as he pondered the two roads. "Two roads met in the woods. And I, took the one less traveled apon." he said looking to the overgrown path on the left it did'ent look inviteing but then, not all things in life were easy.

Feeling pleased with the idea, Duo whistled as he went down the path. Every decision made changed everything for us. This was no exception, no matter how small it may seem. Duo had set out on a path of discovery. Though the path was less travled, the woods around it were calm and quiet. The thunder rumbled above the far reaching tree tops. Duo knew he was going to have to seek out shelter from the on comeing rain. Duo scouted around around for a place where he could wait out the rain. He soon found it. There was a tree with a hollowed out base that he could fit snuggly within. Duo had just gathered enough dry wood,grass and twigs and crawled into the space when the rain clouds opened up. The sun gone, the woods grew cool and dark. Duo did'ent hate the rain. He had always heard the father say, "The angles are crying tears for the poor and the needy" it seemed Duo's prayers had been answered. The farmers in need of rain, finally got the rain that they needed so baddly. Building the fire that he was going to need for heat and to keep dry, Duo sat back against the hollow of the tree. His cool feet on ether side of the fire to warm. Then as he watched the rain, the steady pounding of the rain and the warmpth of the fire that soon filled the hollow, Duo grew sleepy. It was'ent long before the lone braided priest fell asleep in his make shift abode. The soft rain continued to fall, the fire no longer being fed fresh wood by its maker, slowly began to die. It consumed the last of its wood and grass, growing smaller each time. The fearceness of the storm was dieing as well. A loud crack of thunder woke Duo with a start, his heart pounding quickly. Settleing seeing there was no danger, Duo yawned and rolled to onto his back. Resting his head on the leather satchel. He reached down and grasped the small rosary that the young nun had given him. Thinking of her made a blush come to his cheeks, a smile play on his lips and something primal, stir within him. Duo did'ent know how long he had been there, laying , thinking about her, but soon the rain had almost stopped compleatly and the thrunder, was but a distant rumble.

Another sound came, not caused by the rain or the dieing storm, but from outside. Duo only glanced out, the morning light just comeing though the dewy tree leaves. He turned back resting his eyes as the senses of the morning came to him. There came the sound again. Duo moved, rolled to his side and opened his eyes lazy like. There stood at the entrance to the hollow, a very large two toned gray wolf. Duo scrambled up, sucking in a sharp breath. Grasping to a coal lit stick from the almost dead fire, a weapon, he flailed it in the direction of the wolf. It only watched him. "NO! GO AWAY! GO AWAY YOU BEAST!" Duo screamed at it, hopeing if anything to look like he would be a challenge.

Bolting upright in a cold sweat, Duo screamed out "GO AWAY!". Looking to the enterance of the hollow, there was nothing. Nothing but the sunlight playing in patches on the floor of the woods, and the soft droplets of the rain slipping from the leaves. There was no wolf. "I...I must have dreamed...." Duo recalled resting his eyes only a momment he thought. He must have fallen back asleep. Duo trembled. Troubled by the dream. His dreams at times were visions...things yet to come. His gift. It was time to go. Gathering up his things and burrying the smoldering ember with moist dark earth, Duo crawled out of the hollow. Dusting himself off and looking around. The first of many nights he would have to learn to survive out here without the sanctuary of the church. As Duo was leaveing the woods, the dream still playing on his mind. The only thing he could think about was the wolf in his dream. Why had it been there? why of all things...a wolf? hunter of lambs.

Comeing to the edge of the woods the sunlight of the open land ahead of him came though the trees. A very welcome sight to Duo.He stopped to look back for any signs of the wolf but could find nothing. Turning away from the woods and any thoughts of the beast, Duo set out across the tall grass of the lands. Out into the dawning sunlight. Still he hummed the small little tune that he had been whisteling. Thinking of days past and now the day's ahead.

Far away change was comeing on the wind. Dreams of a young womans. They , dreams, could be funny things. It was hers to understand what they were trieing to tell her.


Chapter 3: The mystrious Priest.

He was quite tall and slender in build. Young. She could'ent see anything of his face. She only got faint , fuzzy clues of the man. A cross, gleaming, tainted with blood?. Dressed in black, standing with his back to her, a dog by his side. She tried to clear her mind as she looked to the grassy field they were in. The blue sapphire sky over head. There came a light breeze. It ruffled the shawl like dark blue coat that he wore and waved a long umber brown braid if his gently with each puff of wind. As he slowly turned to look to her, face still hidden, white got her attention. A white collar? was he a Priest? a Priest and a wolf? Why a wolf? A killer of sheep. Seraphine reached out toward him, his face still not visable from the shadow of his long bangs over his face in wild, care-free style. Why could'ent she see his face?.

Seraphine was suddenly awakend from the dream, she lay there still confuzed by what she had 'seen'. What were the winds trieing to tell her. She was lost, this she knew...was this man. This Priest going to show her the way. Or was he the enemy. It had happend before. She was on the move again. She moved when her dreams told her it was time. Paying the man for her room at the motel. Seraphine took up her meager belongings, Her only belongings along with her in her pack. For you see Sereaphine had no home.

Seraphine Tempest, or Sera as she prefered to be called, was lonely and lost. Her family had been killed by Evil. Evil that if she told people about..would never understand. She had somehow been able to escape it and as such, had taken up white magic to fight it. She wanted to fight these evils, but she had lost her way, lost sight of them as there was so much of it all around in some form or another. Sera had prayed that the dreams she had would direct her where to go. Now they had. Only they where not as clear as they once where, she was lost deep in the lands of Evil now. It was all around and her dreams, her guide was soon going to be lost. Sera had to find the guild that they had picked for her. She had to find this mystriouse dark Priest and his wolf companion. She paused, standing in the street of the quiet little village. She faced the wind and just closed her eyes. She wanted them to show her the way.

Something brushed her face, opening her eyes, Sera saw a snow white feather. That had to be the sign she was waiting for. Sera still did'ent know who she was seeking m what he looked like only that he was a priest and that she was close to finding him already. Now don't take all of this wrong. Sera is by no means a witch. She only studied and practiced white magic. Only when she was told by whispered voices in her ear, for the good of people. Calling rain to put out fires, healing the sick and wounded. Though at times it did'ent feel like the magic was hers. Sera becuase of this was often chased or shunned in small little villages like this,where they did'ent understand. She had now been given a guid that was going to help her..lead the way for her. It was the one in her dream she was sure of it. The Priest she saught for.


Chapter 4: Let Angels guide you.

Thirst became Duo's main need. Seeking out a stone in the tall hip high grass, Duo could rest and take a drink from his canteen. Pulling it out of the satchel, Duo undid the small metal lid and took a nice well needed drink of water. It seemed the most peaceful place to rest. Only the tall grassed rolling hills and the blue sky around, but there was something more out there lurking in the grass. Watching and waiting to ambush the unknowing Duo. A rustel of grass made Duo suddenly look behind him. There was the flash fo sunlight on steel. Duo found himself confronted by two older and more wicked looking men. The blade in the taller ones hand, held Duo in place.

"Well well what do we have here?" The shorter of the two, spoke in a gritty voice as he reached out one fithly hand and grabbed the canteen from Duo. Short and grubby, not very attractive. He took a gupl of the water , wasteing it as it spilled down the front of his torn and soiled shirt. Duo frowned. He would have gladdly shared the water with them. Grinning the ugly mugged man, threw the canteen to the ground, spilling the remainder of the water onto the ground. duo watched it seep into the ground. "That was the only water I had" Duo said calmly, seeming to find some inner means not to panic. The two men laughed. "Well then..why don't you pray for some church boy?".

The taller one holding the knife and Duo, pulled the satchel from around Duo roughly and ripping it open dumped it's contents onto the ground. This man to was grubby and unkempt, as though water and bathing was something forgin to them. Duo did'ent resist for now, as they spilled out the contents and pawed though the items on the ground. "I have nothing of value", Duo said only to have the kinfe point pressed to his throat over his collar. He was told to 'Shut his hole'. The smaller one continued to paw though the items. He took the food, the only food that Duo had. The tattered bible, did'ent intrest them. The shorter one tossed it asside. No Surprize, Duo thought. "I told you, I have nothing of value" Duo pressed on. The one holding to Duo looked to him and reached out grabbing the rosary around Duo's neck. Giveing a hard jerk he snapped it off, breaking the beads. He eyed it over and smiled, tucking it into one grundgy pocket.

The shorter one picking over what he thought might be of use. Duo figured that they would now more likely then not beat him and be on his way. It was a frightening turn of events, when the smaller one came up to him and looked over the young very becomeing priest. "You know, it get's lonely out here when there ain't any whores about". Duo was no fool..he knew what they were talking about. "I don't blame you for doing what you do, if you want to confess about what you have been doing with-" Duo got slapped in the face for being smug. That was the last of what it was that he was going to take. Duo twisted free from the taller man and was able to strike out at the smaller one. The action however did'ent go unpunished. Before Duo could turn around, he took a blow from the hilt of the gun to the back of the head. White stars exploded behind Duo's eyes. The priest went down hard. As Duo lay dissorentated and in pain, they beat and kicked him well he lay curled up on the ground. They contiuned until the short one thought he had taken enough. It was time to have a little fun.

Duo was out cold as they worked to their belts. The smaller one,grabbing to the back of Duo's shirt. As he did there came a growl around then. The warning growl came out around them. The growl went unnoticed. It was not ignored long as a wolf came bounding out of the very grass that they had been hideing in. The two tone gray wolf was of an impressive size. The two men gave a cry and pulled away from Duo. They left Duo as a 'offering' to the wolf, saveing their own dirty hides. The men grabbed what they could and ran away as the wolf gave chase to them, makeing well sure, they were gone.

Momments after, the wolf padded though the grass back to where Duo lay in the grass. It sniffed the ground and stood at the edge of the grass. It watched Duo, slowly picking it's stepps along the side of him. Comeing to Duo's face it licked out with a rough tounge, licking the light toned skin of duo's cheek. The wolf layed down by Duo's side waiting. Hours passed before a moan came from Duo as he finnaly came around. The pain of the blow throbbed in the back of Duo's head. Duo tried to move, pulling up onto his elbows. It felt like he had been bashed in the head by a brick. Suddenly something licked his cheek. Duo turned his head quickly makeing it swim. There sat a wolf, another rough lick catching his face. Surprizeingly Duo was'ent unafraid. There came a feeling of calm around Duo. If the wolf ment to kill him it would havv done it by now.

"Your not here to hurt me are you?" Duo asked softly keeping his voice calm and low. He slowly raised his hand. He was going to test it. Reaching toward the wolf. It moved,from sitting on his haunches and went to Duo, pushing his head under Duo's hand. Duo scratched his fingers slowly though the soft fur on the wolfs head. As soon as Duo did a name came flooding into his mind and he felt compeled to speak it. "Okami Hyoji?" Duo blinked. The wolf wagged his tail. "So your Okami...my guide" Duo smiled at the ironc of the name. "Wolf Guide" Duo knew it had to be a gift.

Always open minded to the gifts that God gave him Duo just accepted this too. "Ok Okami" Duo said patting the wolf on the head. Dusting the dirt and grass off, Duo stood up and gave his new companion a glance. Okami knew it was thanks enough that Duo, the young priest that he was to watch over, was going to be okay. Gathering the remains of his things, Duo placed them back into the satchel that had been disscarded on the ground. Duo was able to save his bible and the canteen which was now empty, his clothing but the rosary. he knew was gone. A lost gift from the little non he loved so much. Duo was able to find his walking stick as well, picking it up and putting the satchel back around his neck he called out. "Lets go Okami". The two of them set out, heading where their heart lead them.

The grass of the field suddenly parted to a road way. The grand dirty river had returned. As Duo and Okami stepped out onto the road there came tolls of bells, from a small village, just down the road. Duo knew the bells well. Before he even had time to reflect on things, when Okami pulled to the bottom of Duo's coat. "heh what?. Okami, no!" The wolf pulled again makeing Duo lose his balance and fall back on his hands and backside dropping the walking stick. The Wolf bounded and grabbed up the stick and ran down the road toward the village. "Hey! Wait!" Duo called out getting up and chaseing the wolf down toward the village.

**Up comeing chaper: Chapter 5 "Evil Comes to Town".**

I hope you liked what I got so far please let me know. ^^