Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Two Highways ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Title: Two Highways
Author: Katerina Shinigami, Shi-chan (utenakat@yahoo.com)
Archive: http://www.geocities.com/fenris_wolf0/, http://members.xoom.com/riouka/gwpage.html, http://mediaminer.org/fanfic/
Some fics located at: http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/deathfics/menu.html,
http://www.homestead. com/Celerial2/Fanfic_Epilepsy.html, http://www.steelsong.com
Otherwise: yes, please tell me.
Category: songfic, shounen ai
Rating: PG
Pairings: 1+2+1
()()()()
Warnings: strange
()()()()
Spoilers: none
Disclaimer: I don't own anything. This is for fun and enjoyment, no money is being made. Please don't sue me, as I am poor. Song belongs to Ricky Scaggs/Alison Krauss/L. Cordle and anyone else who has rights to it.
Feedback: Yes please. All flames received will be used to light the fire under my ass and get me to write more fics that are against your liking, so there.



Two Highways


[Two highways lay before me
Which one will I choose?]


Duo looked at the sleeper on the bed as the peeking light of false dawn idled it's way across the carpeted floor and up the white linen of the bedspread. He wrapped his arms around his torso, trying to retain warmth in the chill of the predawn hours. His chair creaked as he rose to stand in front of the window, his own blanket draped about his shoulders.

Out before him, past the yard and drive of the small house he and his lover were staying in, stretched the sprawling fields and winding highways. The land looked so crisp and fresh... alive. There was no evidence of the war here.

Sighing, the braided pilot turned to look between his lover, sleeping soundly in their white sheeted bed, and the door that would lead him out and away.

He loved Heero. He loved him with all his heart, or so he thought. After all, he'd never felt this strongly about anyone.

But even with all the love he felt for the other boy... he wasn't sure if this was what he wanted yet. He was only fifteen and there was plenty of life ahead of him... Did he really want to be tied down so soon?

Another sigh escaped his lips as he turned back to the window.


[Down one lane I'd find happiness
& down the other I'm blue]


The sun was just peeking over the hills in the distance when Heero stirred into waking. A weary smile crossed Duo's face as he watched his love stretched and sat up, the bed sheets pooling in his lap.

Should he? Or...

"Morning," Heero grunted, pulling the covers off and swinging his legs over to plant his feet firmly on the ground.

"G'morning, Heero," Duo replied, not moving from his perch on his chair.

The blue-eyed Wing pilot walked over and placed a soft kiss on Duo's cheek before heading to the bathroom.


[There is no one that I can trust
I must decide alone]


'Should I?' Duo thought, fear creeping up his spine.

For a time, he just sat there, staring at the closed bathroom door and listening to the sounds of water pounding against the fiberglass shower stall.

Images of Heero's wet and naked body floated into his mind. 'Gah!' he cried mentally, blinking the images away. 'If... if I don't leave now...'

The water turned off.

'If I don't leave now... I don't think I'll be able to...'


[My decision is an awful one
Which road will take me home?]


Heero stepped out of the bathroom, body glittering in the morning sun, a tiny towel wrapped about his slim waist. Duo was hard pressed not to stare at Heero's physique as the dark haired boy reached one hand up to towel his damp hair vigorously.

'I.... I have to...'

Duo gulped, rising from his seat, clutching the blanket to him.

'I have to... or I'll never know what I truly want...'

Heero looked up as Duo paused in front of him, raising an eyebrow in inquiry.

"I... have to leave," Duo told him, his voice quiet. He hoped he'd not have to say anything more than that.


[In the mornin' would I wake to find
Down the wrong road I had gone?]


"Mission?" Heero asked, tossing the towel he'd been drying his hair with over his shoulder. Duo nodded.

It wasn't exactly a lie... after all, it was a mission... a personal mission.

Heero nodded. "When do you have to leave?"

"As... as soon as possible."

Heero nodded again.


[Will I hear the melodies
I've searched for oh so long?]


Duo said nothing as he packed his meager belongings into his worn duffel. He hoped with all his heart that he was making the right choice.

"Well," Duo chirped, little of his normal vigor tempering his tone as he hefted the bag over his shoulder. "I'm off..."

Heero grunted, fixated on the glowing laptop in front of him.


[Only time will tell
If I have made a loser's choice]


Duo sighed as he shut the door behind him. Well... Here he was...

'You could still turn back.'

'I can't... I have to do this,' Do told himself.

'I hope you're not making the wrong choice...'

'Me too...'


[Hello sadness, cries my inner soul
Goodbye lover, moans my voice]


With one last look at the tiny house he'd called home, if only for a short time, Duo hurried off, before he could change his mind.

'Goodbye...'


[Perils, there are many,
As I set out on my way]


Cars screamed by and people pushed their way past one another on their respective treks. No one seemed to notice or care that in the middle of all the bustle, one lone boy walked at a sedated pace, his head hung, hands shoved in his pockets. They all moved about him, like beads of water on a windshield: headless of the obstruction.

"Oof," Duo grunted as he found himself on the concrete, his face taking the brunt of the impact. The braided one lay there dazed for a moment before picking himself up, ignoring the hand held out in assistance. He waved the hand away and turned, back to his tired walk, his lonely way.


[If I lose your love, I know that I
Can't call it back someday]


As he walked, his mind wandered back to his lover. It'd been all of a year since he'd seen the tousle-haired Japanese boy and the time only made him ache more in rememberance. Heero's image had not faded from his mind the slightest and Duo bemoaned his choice, but it was made and he would not go back until he was sure that was what he wanted...

'If I'm allowed back when I decide to return...'

Duo paused, nearly being knocked over by the rapid flow of pedestrians.

'Hah, he's probably found himself someone else... Serves me right, I guess...'


[Rambler, lonely rambler just calls any place his home
But Nashville's lights, how beautiful you shine]


Duo sighed as he pushed the ancient revolving door. 'Why do they still have this relic?' he thought bitterly as the thing tried to 'bite' his ankles when he slowed.

"Hidy," a mousy blonde girl chirped from the clerk's desk. "Can I help ya with anythin?"

"I'd like a room," Duo told her simply.

"Ahlright!" The girl bounced up and over to the key rack. "Any pref'rance?"

"Huh?" Duo asked, watching the girl finger the vast array of keys.

"Any pref'rance of room? Ya know? Double? Single? Luxury suit?" She giggled, tossing one braided pigtail over her shoulder. "As ya can see, we gots vacancies in all them so you's can take yer pic."

Duo blinked and reached in his pocket, counting the change within. "What can I get for... twenty-five dollars?" he asked, blushing lightly. "I'm afraid that's all the cash I have on me."

"Hmmmm," the girl drawled, lifting one snake-skin-booted foot to scratch the back of the other calf. "Well, I'm sure it don't matter, but pa usually charges that for the double... But!" She smiled. "You're a cutie, so I'll give ya the luxury suit... 'Sides, it looks like you could use some luxury... Yer a bit on the drawn side."

The braided boy smiled ruefully, thanking the girl for her hospitality as he took the profered key.

"'Sno problem!" She piqued. "'Sno problem a-tall! Oh, and stay 'slong as ya like... Pa ain't gonna care... Jus so long's you dun leave no messes fer us ta haveta clean up when ya do leave. Oh! By the way, I'm Krissy!"

"Duo," Duo said, taking the hand she held out to him.

"Well, hope ya enjoy yer stay, Duo," Krissy chirped again, winking a sky blue eye at the boy before skipping back behind the counter.


[Wishing now that you had found
A word or 2 to say]


Duo lay on the simple queen-sized bed, staring up at the pockmarked ceiling. There was a large watermark in the corner and a line of stain running down from it on the far wall, but Duo could have cared less.

His mind was filled with memories, memories of a morning a year before.

*flashback*

"Well, I'm out of here," Duo sighed, duffle slung over his shoulder.

"Hn," Heero grunted. "Be careful..."

"I will," Duo said, opening the door and slipping out.

*end flashback*


[But the morning came & we both knew
My eyes gave it away]


The braided boy opened his eyes and stared once more at the ceiling. His eyes ached and were suspiciously damp at the corners. Duo reached up and rubbed at the offending orbs, trying to avoid the all out crying that he knew was around the corner.

"I screwed up," he muttered to the empty room.


[As I kissed your cheeks & said goodbye
I thought, Only time will tell
& you can't draw water from an empty well]


Duo opened his eyes. His neck hurt and his eyes ached. Tiny splotches of wet adorned the blanket that was wrapped about his stiff and chilled body.

"Unnn," he groaned as he uncurled his legs and stretched his tense muscles.

"Hey," a soft voice said from the bed at his side. Duo blinked, turning to look at the owner. "Trouble sleeping again?"

Duo nodded, trying to work the crick out of his neck.

"Come back to bed. The cold is not good for you," Heero told the braided boy, lifting the corner of the bedspread in invitation. When Duo slipped under the covers, Heero enfolded the boy in his strong arms. "Want to talk about it?"

Duo shook his head. "I don't even want to think about it..."

"Aa... well, let's get some sleep... You have a mission in the morning."


[In the mornin' would I wake to find
Down the wrong road I had gone?
Will I hear the melodies
I've searched for oh so long?
Only time will tell
If I have made a loser's choice
Hello sadness, cries my inner soul
Goodbye lover, moans my voice
Hello sadness, cries my inner soul
Goodbye lover, moans my voice]


Owari