Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Ultimate Sacrifice ❯ Epilogue ( Chapter 14 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Warnings: yaoi, angst, AU, alternating POV's
Pairing:1x2, 1+R (nothing romantic though), implied 3+4
Disclaimer: Would I still be working if I owned GW?
Archive: GW on the Sanctuary Anywhere else, please ask first. Feedback: Send comments, good and bad, to lady_yaoi @ hotmail.com (remove spaces)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ultimate Sacrifice


AC 201
[Relena]

Pish, I never bring enough tissues to these things. The sorry excuse for a tissue currently in my hands is sodden and torn.

I feel a gentle hand press a fresh tissue against my left arm and I look up; Quatre's soft blue/green eyes are as teary as mine. He's such a tender soul, and apparently as big a sap as I am.

Blotting away my tears, I sneak a glance at the people to my right. It's rare to see Sally in a dress - can't run down a suspect in a dress! she always says - but for this occasion she went all out. The soft summer-yellow dress compliments her beautifully... as does the ebony-haired man next to her. Wearing the traditional clothes and colors of his clan, Wufei looks like the proud warrior, lover and friend that he is. A glint of very untraditional gold around his graceful neck makes me smile; he never takes that gold chain and charm off. Remembering how he got it, I try to smother a laugh.

Duo'd found the chain and charm in some second-hand store, declaring it 'the award Wu-baby deserved'. I wish I could have seen the look on Wufei's face when Duo presented him with the small gold statute charm as thanks for a very convincing acting job. No further explanation was needed - we all knew what Duo was referring to. That was... six months ago? Yes, that sounds right. Six months. So much has happened it seems longer... yet shorter at the same time.

Heero returned from L3 looking more alive than I'd seen him since the war. The dark circles under his eyes no longer had the look of permanence and he smiled, actually smiled, when he saw me. It didn't take a genius to figure out the reason for the change; an equally alive looking, though somewhat thinner, Duo Maxwell was practically glued to Heero's side. One look at both of them and you _knew_ they were... _are_... incomplete without the other. Truer soul-mates I've never seen.

I hardly saw either of the reunited lovers their first week back on Earth. And, according to various members of my household staff, it's a good thing my bedroom is on the other side of the estate. I love them both, but hearing their nocturnal activities for a week would have tested the most patient of persons. Thank heavens it didn't take them long to find a nice cozy apartment of their own.

Wufei convinced both lovers to join the Preventors. Heero, to no one's surprise, was snapped up by the security and surveillance department. Designing security programs and hacking into 'secure' networks is second nature to that boy. Duo, however, found his niche in the training of other agents. Stealth and invisibility are key components to being a successful field operative... something Duo has in spades. Finally, he was able to put his street-talents to work in a legitimate way. It's done a lot for his self-image and self-worth... and it shows.

The words 'bonded together in their love' brings me back to the present. Looking at the two young men standing in front of me, declaring their eternal love for each other, unleashes new tears in my eyes. Heero, his face so open and wearing the most beautiful of smiles, is trying his hardest not to cry. Duo gave up trying fifteen minutes ago. Rings and words exchanged, we all watch their first kiss as a bonded couple. Wufei, who no longer gets nosebleeds at open displays of affection but is still uncomfortable prolonged 'encounters', loudly clears his throat breaking the two apart... both of them grinning like mad-men.

I don't understand how anyone can look at these two and not see the depth of their commitment to each other. But, I suppose there will always be narrow-minded people who refuse to look past the surface, past the skin and into the heart. And for them I'm sad. They'll probably never know happiness at the level Heero and Duo experience it, never know the joy of having found their soul-mate.

But that is contemplation best left for another day. Today is a time of celebration and love. And by the way Duo is clutching at Heero, I think the rest of us will be celebrating without them very soon. I just hope the hotel has thick walls!

~owari~