Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Unforgettable Taste ❯ Unforgettable Taste ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Unforgettable Taste

Author: Hellfire_angel

Pairing: 1x2

Rating: PG-13

Genre: Hurt/comfort

Dedication: Merula31, who asked for a hurt/comfort fic

Warning: Angst, sap, language

Summary: Duo begins taking cooking classes at Heero's insistence, although Heero doesn't understand how important this newly acquired skill means to Duo.
 
xxxx
 
 
 

There was no doubt in my mind that Duo taking up cooking classes was a good idea. His cooking skills were somewhat lacking ever since I met him. He could make easy dishes it was just the kind that had more than one part to them that he destroyed, accidentally or out of forgetfulness.
 

It wasn't that he was a bad cook or anything like that. It was just his style of cooking included sandwiches and condensed soup out of cans. Pasta was kept out of sight from him ever since he burned it.
 

You might ask how he achieved that. Well, Duo didn't think we should waste so much water just to cook pasta for the two of us and only put one cup of water in the pot, brought it to a boil, and then tossed the pasta in the water. However, he didn't consider how fast the water would evaporate and turned to steam, only to leave us with pasta stuck and burned to the bottom of the pot. Which is why I started hiding any kind of noodles I bought so Duo wouldn't attempt it again.
 

The last straw was when he left baked potatoes in the microwave until they exploded, even though I told him to only leave them in for so many minutes.
 

It was then that I practically begged him to take the cooking class the were being offered that the community center. He admitted that he would like to know how to cook more meals than just the basics and reheating things that were already made. I wanted him to learn for his own sake or make him a deal that I would do all the cooking for how ever long we were alive and living together and that would be forever if I had my way. The first night he went there, he came home and he had a smile of bliss spread across his heart-shaped face and it was then that I knew maybe I didn't he to be resigned to a fate of cooking for eternity.
 

Every two days during the week he would be gone for three hours in the evening and when he came home there was always something tasty that he had made for me to try. And he did get better with each class, so much so that I let him take over the cooking whenever he felt confident enough to tackle a recipe he had wanted to try but didn't make. He was always up for trying something new and different and it was over the course of a couple of months that I saw the vast change he had gone through.
 

Although, I didn't realize he had been experimenting with other concoctions as well and had been making them for my benefit more than just gaining the knowledge to know how to go about making the recipes. I should've realized it, but sadly I didn't.
 

I was running late at work when Duo called and asked me if I wanted him to make something dinner.
 

Thinking over his new talent, I said sure and I would see him in forty-five minutes. He told me to take my time, there was no rush and he would see me in a bit.
 

The drive home was just horrible, traffic was backed up and I ended up calling Duo saying that it might take me an hour to get home. He sighed and said he would cover my plate so I could reheat it later if it took me even longer to get home. I apologized, knowing he had worked hard to gain his cooking skills for both himself and for me. Which made me feel even worse when I came home two hours later and there weren't any lights on in our apartment.
 

I sighed to myself, knowing I was in trouble and climbed the stairs two at a time. Just as I was about to reach for the doorknob it was pulled away from me and revealed Duo in his form flattering black jeans and his very bare chest.
 

"Are you planning to stand there all night and gawk at me? Because I'm not standing here that long! Or are you going to come in and eat?" He asked leaning against the doorframe.
 

"I think I'll come in if it's all right with you?" He nodded and let me slip inside before shutting it and locking it for the night, but not uttering a word. "I'm sorry I'm late Duo."
 

"I know you are." He said softly, sliding up next to me and hooking an arm around my waist to tug my to our kitchen. "Sit your butt down right there while I heat your food up." I did as he commanded, I was in enough trouble the way it was, and I needed to make it up to Duo leaving him alone for so long.
 

As the microwave beeped, Duo went to fetch the food with oven mitts on his hands and I awaited his return.
 

"Here you go." I looked down at my plate and took in the saffron potatoes, the piece of steak that had been marinating for the past few days. Green beans lay next to the potatoes and I had to smile at how professional the dish looked as a whole. It smelled even better.
 

"Thank you." I said as I cut of a piece of the steak and ate it letting the flavor sink into my tongue. "This really is delicious Duo."
 

"Thanks. You don't know what that means to me." He smiled at me as I savored my meal and was quite full by the time finished everything. Duo really had out done himself.
 

As looked at him sipping his juice, I knew he wanted to say something else, but was struggling with it. Reaching across the table I began tugging his hand until he had to get up and sat on my lap. He moved, but didn't really relax in my arms.
 

Brushing his braid aside so I could reach his nape, I began ghosting kissing along the back of his neck. "Won't you tell me what's wrong?" I asked as I nibbled his ear gently, causing him to shiver in my arms.
 

"You wouldn't get it even if I told." I said softly, almost as if he were muttering it under his breath.
 

"And why is that?" Not understanding where he was going with this, I slid us away from the table and turned Duo in my arms. "What wouldn't I get? I don't understand."
 

"You wanted me to take these cooking classes because my cooking sucks and you don't feel like babying me and I don't expect you to. It's just that... you never say anything. You don't notice how much I've improved. You just eat what's in front of you and don't give a crap what it is!"
 

"That's not true! I do notice. Everything you've been making tastes wonderful and I can tell how much work you're putting into these meals really I am. But I don't want you to just make them for my sake. If you want to go back making soup and sandwiches some days, go right ahead. If you want me to cook for you I will. It's just been busy lately so I can't come home as early as I like, and I appreciate all you've been doing. Please, believe that."
 

I hadn't realize how my absence had been eating at Duo. Nor had I realized that he wanted my praise as much as he wanted me to enjoy what he put out on the table it wasn't like we were starving even when he was just making the basics...
 

Oh. Shit!
 

"Duo? Are you just making all these meals to impress me?" Duo was silent in my arms for a full minute before slightly nodding his head. "Love, you don't have to impress me. I just thought that those cooking classes would help you broaden your tastes in food. I'm sorry if I made you think I didn't like your cooking."
 

"I found the pasta you hid under our bed." I winced at that.
 

"Okay, to be honest I just didn't want you to make pasta by yourself ever again after what happened last time."
 

"That just means you don't trust me." Duo said sullenly, trying to get off my lap. I held him even tighter, not willing to let him go.
 

"I do trust you. But I rather make the pasta with you. That way you can blame me if anything goes wrong." Duo raised an eyebrow with me before smirking once again and finally settled back in my arms.
 

"Fine, but you better be willing to get the basics for the next few days. Getting ingredients for these recipes is getting to be expensive." I admitted as he tilted his head up at me and smiled.
 

"I can believe it." I leaned down to kiss him softly. Chuckling as I pulled back from the kiss, I couldn't help but think how my once street orphan lover had become very well adapted with gourmet dishes. Basic food though, beat garbage any day, but I would keep that thought to myself, not wanting to upset Duo.
 

"What's so funny?" He asked wrinkling his nose up at me.
 

”Oh nothing. Just thinking how I'm going to probably to gain five pounds from all this tasty food you've been feeding me and now I agreed to letting you cook whatever you want. I'm doomed."


 
"I'll give you doomed!" Duo threatened and started poking me in my stomach and ribs. After a few minutes of his torment, I caught both his hands and leaned down for another kiss. 


 
"There's one taste I'm sure to enjoy no matter what though."


 
"Oh, and what one is that?" Duo asked impishly, as I leaned in once more.


 
"You!" I whispered against his lips and kissed him, tasted him, and knew Duo Maxwell was the one taste I would never forget.
 
xxx
 
End.