Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ War Angels ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer - It's not mine. Never was. The only characters that I own are the ones that have never been mentioned before in the Gundam Wing Universe. The song lyrics belong to Alabama.

A/N - This chapter dedicated to Wufei and his unfailing sense of honor and justice. I didn't really know what to write for him, especially considering I don't exactly have a good grasp on his character type.

Time frame - This chapter happens after the first battle between Zechs and Heero in the Epyon and Wing Zero Gundams. Battleship Libra has fired it's main cannon at Peacemillion, but barely hit it. Repairs are being made to the ship and the Gundams from the last battle with the mobile dolls.

--------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------

--When life held troubled times and had me down on my knees,--

--There's always been someone to come along and comfort me.--

--A kind word from a stranger to lend a helping hand.--

--A phone call from a friend just to say I understand-

--Now ain't it kind of funny at the dark end of the road-

--Someone lights the way with just a single ray of hope--.

War Angels

Chapter Four

Wufei's patience was wearing thin as he strode through the newly repaired corridors of Peacemillion. The ship had been hit by Libra's main cannon almost eight hours ago, and the technicians were struggling to finish up the final round of adjustments to the ballast systems.

"Hey!" called one of the men as he passed by.

"What?" Wufei asked, turning back around to come face to face with a harried man in his late forties.

"Do you know if the repairs are finished on the Gundams yet?" he asked.

"They were still being worked on as I left." Wufei answered. The man shook his head and cursed under his breath.

"Hmph. Those idiots can't do anything right when I'm not holding their hands." the guy said, turning to leave the corridor. A young Chinese girl stepped forward and shook her head, a small grin on her face.

"Please forgive my superior, sir." she said, bowing slightly to Wufei. "He tends to forget his manners during times of conflict."

"Understandable." the Chinese pilot said.

"How badly were the Gundams hurt during the last battle?" she asked. "I had heard that it was a considerable amount of damage."

"They can be repaired." he said. "It will just take time."

"Time that I am afraid we do not have at the moment." she sighed, pulling out some tool from her toolbox. There was a few moments of silence as the girl unscrewed a breaker box cover and checked the electrical lines running through it. "It is times like this I wish I could fight." Wufei regarded the girl with a frown.

She was a petite girl with long black hair and Asian features. Her manners earlier proved that she was of Chinese descent, and Wufei wondered why she wanted to fight, especially considering most clans of the country would not allow the women to fight.

"You are not strong enough." he said finally. The girl turned around, a frown on her face and her hands on her hips.

"Why not?" she asked, her brown eyes flashing dangerously.

"You are a woman." he answered firmly, only to have her laugh at him.

"Somehow I knew you would say that." she said, shaking her head. "Has this war not changed your mind at all about women fighters?"

"No." he said. "And how do you know what I think about women fighting?"

"There are strong women. Warriors who will die to fight for their beliefs." she said, turning back to the breaker box. "Many clans in my home country consider it un-honorable for a woman to pick up weapons, but not my own. Unfortunately, my skills as a mobile suit pilot are less than extraordinary. But I'm relatively sure you, as a Gundam pilot, have come across at least one woman who is worthy to fight." Wufei 'hmphed' and crossed his arms.

"Women are weak and should not be allowed to fight." he said.

"We aren't as weak as you may think." she chuckled. "Sometimes we'll surprise you."

"A woman has no grasp of the concept of justice that is required to operate on a battle field. They are too emotional." he said. "They get caught up in their feelings and lose sight of the final goal."

"Justice?" she asked, shaking her head. "Women don't have a sense of justice? That's rich coming from someone like you."

"What?" Wufei asked.

"You're a man." she said simply. "And Zechs Merquise and Treize Khushrenada are men. And it is their skewed sense of justice that's got us into the predicament we're in now. I'd like to know how a woman's sense of justice could put us in a position any wore than what we're at right now."

"Woman...." Wufei growled, losing his patience with the impertinent girl.

"Hit a nerve, did I, Gundam pilot?" she asked, tipping her head to the side.

"This is utter nonsense. It's....it's....an injustice!" Wufei said loudly. The girl just raised an eyebrow and shook her head.

"Injustice?" she asked. "Having un-honorable, weak opponents that send out soulless mobile dolls to kill their enemies is injustice. You realizing the truth, however, is not."

"I have my own sense of justice." Wufei grumbled, turning to leave her in the hallway.

"Good." she said, turning back to the breaker box to screw the cover in. "Let's hope it's not as screwed up as Zech's and Treize's." Wufei stiffened and turned back around, anger apparent in his eyes.

"I am not like those weak fools!" he shouted.

"You sure about that?" she asked, completely calm.

"Yes."

"Wrong again."

"Huh?" he asked.

"You claim to destroy all who bring war and weapons to space, correct?" she asked. Wufei nodded. "When in fact, you are being hypocritical by piloting your armed Gundam I space."

"I am not a hypocrite." he skulked.

"And I'm not standing right in front of you either." she said sarcastically. Wufei glared at her for a moment, until she started to finish up her work.

"What is your name, woman?" he asked. She reminded him of someone, but he just couldn't place who at the moment.

"Why does it matter?" she asked. "I'm just an insignificant, weak woman, remember? The one that has no sense of justice."

"Woman...." he growled. She just turned back to him and gave a half smile.

"I just hope that whoever you're fighting for...whatever your fighting fulfills your sense of right and wrong, your sense of justice, when this is over with. Take care of yourself, Chang Wufei." She turned without another word and walked away, leaving the Chinese pilot in the hallway.By the time Wufei quit seeing red, she was gone.

"Crazy woman...." he muttered under his breath, turning to leave. "Don't even know who she was...." Surprisingly though, he felt a little better, having spoken with the young girl.

Of course, had he taken time to look, he'd have seen the set of identification cards hanging from the breaker box she had been working at, her picture swaying slightly and her name in bold black letters.

Chang Meiran

----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------

A/N - Okay, I personally think that chapter was weak, but I was not too sure as to how to set it up. Sorry.

Anyhow, remember to review.

Later,

A.A.