Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Watashi no Sukoshi Tubasa ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Watashi no Sukoshi Tubasa
 
Gundam Wing Fan Fiction
 
Author : White Wings
 
:: Chapter 2 ::
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Kiro sat with his chin in his hand, staring boredly off into space. The auditorium had yet to fill with the rest of the schools attendees but the time was drawing near for the assembly to start. He watched as the Honor roll students filed in and sat in the arranged chairs on the large amp theater style auditoriums stage. He noticed a well-concealed wink from Debbie, which he returned. Sitting in the very back row, the furthest from the stage and closest to the exit, Kiro sighed as the long awaited event started. The Principal, a sweet, rather heavyset woman spoke first. She was one of the very few teachers that the cynical boy had any respect for.
 
Her speech was short and to the point, another reason Kiro liked her, but when she sat down that meant it was the Vice Principal turn. Straitening in his seat he grinned, glancing down at his watch, right on schedule. The Vice Principal thanked his superior and then, just as he opened his mouth, operation “Drown' out” blared into action. Every single cell phone on in the auditorium started to ring. Kiro immediately started laughing, unable to hold it in because of the horrified look on the Vice Principals face.
 
Behind him he heard some one curse. Kiro turned to see three men he didn't recognize as teachers looking at each other in confusion, trying desperately to get their cell phones to stop making noise. No one else seamed to notice them and then from behind them Kiro glimpsed something on the white linoleum flooring that lined the hallway. A hand, and seeping into view... blood.
 
Kiro suddenly felt sick to his stomach. He noticed guns in the hands of the three unfamiliar men that he hadn't before. He rose slowly, not wanting to attract the attention of the armed men, they had already shot the teacher who'd been guarding the hallway, they wouldn't think twice about shooting him. He kept an eye on them as he backed his way down the slanted isle, hoping that he would back into a teacher or something but every one was to distracted by the cell phones to notice. He dared to glace at the stage where Debbie was giving him a strange look. She was watching him at least. He pointed toward the three men in the back and saw her squint through the bright stage lights to try and see what he was pointing at but eventually shrugged, unable to see that far away.
 
His eyes darted back the men quickly and then he bolted for the stage. His sudden burst of spend made Debbie stand and Kiro looked up to see two more men he didn't recognize creeping up behind her. Just as he made it to the stairs the cell phones finally turned themselves off and he yelled, throwing his hand in a dramatic sweep, trying to signal Debbie to run.
 
“Debbie! BEHIND YOU!”
 
The blond girl whirled around and stood face to face with one of the strangers. She screamed and jumped backwards, bumping into the Vice Principal shoving the both of them down onto the hard wood floor of the stage. The other students and teachers seamed to start taking notice of the unfamiliar men and their guns now, and began to panic. The other honor roll students all jumped up from their seats and ran screaming from the stage. The Vice Principal crawled out from under Debbie and as he reached the edge of the stage began to scream like a little girl, running away and following the panicked mob as they rushed for the exits.
 
Kiro rushed to Debbie and kneeled down to help her up only to find one of the strangers pointing a gun at the bridge of his nose right in-between his eyes. He froze and so did Debbie. The man reached down with his free hand and grabbed the blond girls shoulder.
 
“Debbie!”
 
“Kiro? Help!”
 
Kiro tightened his grip around Debbie's torso; he wouldn't let these freaks take her even if it got him shot. He glared up at the man defiantly only to get a grim smirk from the man; he was tightening his grip on the trigger. Kiro flinched away as the shot went off and resounded though the acoustics of the auditorium. A new wave of screams erupted from the mob of students and teachers. But Kiro, realizing that he was unharmed looked up and saw that the Principal, Mrs. Summers, was struggling with the man who would have shot him.
 
“Mrs. Summers, watch out!” Debbie screamed as the other darkly clad man pointed his gun at the brave teachers back.
 
Kiro launched himself at the other man but a moment to late. The second shot sounded and Debbie's scream joined the others of the terrified students. The Principal struggled with the man who'd tried to shoot Kiro, managing to knock him out before her body fell limply on top of him. Kiro grabbed the back of one of the metal chair that had been set up for the Honor roll students and sung it at the man who'd shot the teacher, hearing the satisfying crack of metal braking bone echo.
 
Sirens could be heard over the terrified den of students and teachers now, and the man with the newly broken arm cursed loudly, pocketing his gun and then dragging his unconscious comrade out from under the cooling body of the woman teacher before disappearing back stage. Kiro sank to his knees, the adrenaline wearing off; he managed to crawl over to his best friend who kneeled, sobbing, over the body of the dead teacher. He placed a shaky hand on her shoulder and she threw herself into his chest, crying hysterically in the unsteady boys arms. Tears began to find their way down the cheeks of Kiros' face as a teacher, followed closely by a group of policemen, made their way up the steps of the stage.
 
“Kiro, Debbie, are you two alright?” The teacher asked.
 
It was Mr. McPeterson, the boys P.E. teacher and basketball coach. Kiro looked up at the man but couldn't force the words to come out. Debbie just continued to sob into his chest. A policeman went to Mrs. Summer and checked her pulse, shaking his head as he confirmed what the two students already knew. She was dead. McPeterson hung his head and looked away as the policeman radioed in the death to the ambulance that was waiting outside. Two of the other officers helped the two teens stand and lead them out of the auditorium, closely followed by the coach. The school nurse met them at the curb and gave them a quick checkup before logging in that they were only shocked and a bit bruised. Hundreds of students were already leaving with their parents, some were standing with police officers and by the way they were talking with their hands it was obvious they were giving their testimonies.
 
One of the officers who'd escorted them out of the school building kneeled down in front of Kiro, it was a woman in her late twenties. Her short black hair looked blue it was so dark and some of her bangs hung down in her face. She looked at him sweetly, knowing that he must have been terrified but the whole experience.
 
“Hey sweetie, you want to tell me what happened?” she asked.
 
“Yea, okay.” Kiro responded automatically, running on standby as his whole body felt numb.
 
“What's your name kiddo?”
 
“Kiro Yuy.”
 
“Okay Kiro, tell me what happened. Every thing you can remember.”
 
“Okay, well we were in the auditorium for the Honor roll...” and so Kiro relayed then events to the policewoman as they had happened. Being sure to give her as much detail as possible with the exception of the fact that he and Debbie were the masterminds behind the all the cell phones going off. Every once and a while he would glance over at Debbie who was talking to another officer, giving her account of what had happened. After a while, when he'd finished his story the officer nodded. Patting him on the head and telling him it would be allright, and not to worry about it any more. Debbie, too, seemed to be finished where her story and she came over and hugged Kiro tightly.
 
“Kiro! Debbie!”
 
Kiro and Debbie turned to see Kiro's mother rushing though the crowd. She stopped, out of breath, when she got to them and panted.
 
“Are you two okay? I got a call from the administration. You're not hurt are you? Oh my God, Debbie! How did you get that bruise?”
 
Mrs. Yuy spent the next ten minutes fretting over the two teens, checking them, re-checking them, and hugging them over and over, thanking God that they were safe. The police officer who'd interviewed Debbie came over and tapped Cary on the shoulder.
 
“Excuse me mama? Are you their mother?”
 
“This ones mine.' Mrs. Yuy said, giving Kiro a tight squeeze. ` And this ones is practically my adopted daughter.” She squeezed Debbie.
 
“Well you've got two very brave kids there Mrs...?
 
“Yuy.”
 
“Mrs. Yuy. These two were the probably the most help to our investigation. If we need any more information we'll call you. Be safe going home.”
 
“Thank you officer.”
 
Cary gave the pair of teens another hug and then turned them and led them off campus to the bus stop. The ride back to the town house was silent except for the occasional sniffle that slipped through Debbies' composure. They had been home for about half an hour when Duo barged in through the front door, heaving for breath and looking around wildly. He spotted Kiro coming down the stairs and immediately wrapped him in a tight hug.
 
“Mr. Maxwell, I can't breath.” Kiro wheezed out after a few moments. Duo quickly released his death grip on the teen and sighed heavily.
 
“Thank god.” Duo collapsed onto the stairs, gasping for breath.
 
“Did you run all the way here?” Kiro said, raising an eyebrow at Duo.
 
“Well ya, don't have a car now do I?” Duo winked at Kiro, the sarcastic flavor dripping off his words.
 
The two laughed, Cary peeked out of the kitchen where she was sitting, having a cup of coffee with Debbie, and smiled before ducking out of the room again. Duo finally stood and took hold of Kiro's shoulders firmly, looking the boy strait in the eye.
 
“Seriously though, you're okay?”
 
“Yea, I'm fine. But Debbie got a nice shiner.”
 
Duo seamed to breath easier now, Kiro noticed, but the subject changed quickly after Duo got a whiff of the cookies that Kiros' mother was cooking and deciding to drag the teen along with him. Narrating their decent from the stairs and across the living room as if it were some wild safari hunt in the deep jungles of Africa. Even changing into a face accent.
 
Duo had always been like this, as far back as Kiro could remember. Even when his father had been alive, Duo would play practical jokes and make off the wall observations just to see if he could get a laugh out of the late Heero Yuy, which had been nearly impossible. Kiros' father had been a very stoic man. Very quiet and even tempered. It took a lot to rile him up, Duo just happened to know which buttons to push, as they had been friends since before Kiro was born. And, apparently, before his father and mother had even met. Kiro liked Duo, despite the over protective outbursts that occurred every once and a while. The man was more motherly then his mother! When he'd fallen off the trampoline at age seven it had been Duo who'd freaked out, running around like a chicken with his head cut off, not his mother. It seemed that Duo blamed himself for what happened to Heero, though no one knew why. They had been very close friends, almost like bothers, and so in Duo's mind, if anything happened to Kiro he would probably kill himself with grief.
 
They all had a grand old time, eating cookies and laughing and Duo's eternal antics. It was nearly five o'clock by the time things quieted down. Cary and Kiro walked Debbie home. It was Duo's first time actually meeting the girl, so it seamed he felt a little awkward around her, besides, some one had to wash the dishes. When the mother-son pair returned home Duo was passed out on the couch, snoring lightly.
 
“He really did run all the way home.” Kiro grinned, following his mother back into the kitchen.
 
When Duo finally woke up from his catnap around seven he insisted on having the cake that had been torturing him since yesterday, and singing happy birthday. Cary finally gave in after he got down on his knees and begged. With that taken care of he rushed into the garage, which was more like a big storage room, and dragged out a box that had Kiro's name written all over... literally. He urged the teen to open it and was happily few stunned moments of silence. It was a bike, not something a seventeen year old would usually be horribly excited about, but Kiro hadn't had one since before his father died. He gave Duo and his mother a quick hug before dragging his shining new bike outside to test it out.
 
“Thanks Duo.” Cary said, giving him a look of approval.
 
“No sweat.” The tall man said. Placing his elbow on Cary's shoulder. “You know, you are the PERFECT height for a leaning post.”
 
“Oh shut up.”
 
It was no surprise to find out that the school was closed the next day, or rather, was closed until further notice. A notice arrived on the second day of the unpredicted brake notifying the students that the memorial service for Mrs. Linda Summers would be held some eight days later. Kiro wanted to go but didn't think he would be able to face the ex-Principals family. After all, she was shot because she protected him.
 
Kiro sat on the couch flipping though channels on the television; as usual there was nothing good on. It was only one o'clock so the after school toons had yet to start and all that was playing now was the re-runs of old black and white sitcoms and adds for useless household products. It was only the third day of the early summer brake and he was already bored. The phone rang and his mother shouted down the stairs for him to pick it up, she had her hands full. Kiro obidently picked up the receiver and politely asked who was calling.
 
“Is young Kiro avaibale?”
 
Kiro pulled the phone away from his ear and gave it an odd look before answering in a confused and suspicious voice... “This is he, may I ask who's calling?”
 
“Aw, good. I'm calling on the behalf of Ms. Debbies' father. He would like to invite you and your family over for dinner tonight. Would six this evening be a good time for you?”
 
“Um... yea?”
 
“All right then, you like me to arrange for a car or shall you walking?”
 
“...um...”
 
“A car it is then. We will see you at six this evening sir. Good day.”
 
The line went dead and Kiro looked at it blankly for a few minutes before yelling up to his mother.
 
“Mom! Don't make dinner, we were invited over to Debbie's for dinner.”
 
Five o'clock rolled around and Duo walked in the door to Cary fussing over Kiro's hair.
 
“What's goin' on?”
 
“Oh! Duo, go upstairs and get cleaned up. We've been invited to dinner.”
 
“Sweet!” Duo dropped his workbag there in the doorway and jogged up the stairs then paused before he reached the second floor landing and leaning over the railing. “Not that you cooking isn't to die for Cary.”
 
“Duo!”
 
The laughter of the self proclaimed comedian echoed down from above them as he went to the master bedroom to get dressed. He came back down around five-thirty smelling clean and looking refreshed. He'd dawned a clean red shirt and his favorite black jeans. To complete his outfit he fished his black leather jacket out of the hall closet and slung it over his shoulder. He posed for his tenants and they clapped sarcastically. Duo cleaned up pretty good, for a guy with a girly looking braid hanging down his back. The all had a good laugh and Kiro lead the way outside when a car honked from the street. They found that just outside of the townhouse was parked a long black limo. Three jaws dropped rather simultaneously as a man dressed sharply in black opened the door to the expensive vehicle.
 
“A limo? Where are we havin' din-din?” Duo asked stupidly.
 
“At Debbie's... I think...”
 
Duo let out a low, long whistle as he leaped down to the sidewalk and gave the driver a salute a he climbed in. Kiro and his mother followed after him. They sat on the back seat and fidgeted nervously, well, except for Duo. He'd decided to see what each and every one of the buttons in the limo did. He was like a kid in a candy store. Cary was shocked that the driver didn't lock the window between the drivers and passengers compartment, Duo had decided that rolling the window up and down over and over as entertaining. When the driver finally stopped the car and opened the door for them Kiro practically had to drag Duo out. Whoever said that there was no such thing as to much fun had obviously never met Duo and needed to be shot!
 
The walked up the steps to the front door, Kiro knocked timidly and the doors swung open on well-oiled hinges. Debbie was coming down from the second story of the large building, when she saw Kiro come into the main room she ran the rest of the way down the steps and tackled him. She, afterward, gave a courteous hello to Cary and Duo. The latter of the two gave her a goofy grin. Debbie led the way to the dining room where some one was already sitting. The newspaper that the person was reading completely concealed the person. Debbie put her hands on her hips and barked at the person commandingly.
 
“Father! Put that away, our guests are here.”
 
The person holding the paper flinched and laughed lightly, folding the paper up and putting it on the table next to his chair.
 
“Welcome, I hope...”
 
“Oh my GOD!” Duo broke it loudly, almost screaming the words.
 
The slender blond haired, blue-eyed man that sat at the table jumped at the sudden outburst and then with wide eyes started searching for the source of the voice.
 
“Quarter Raberba Winner! How you been man?” Duo stepped out from behind Kiro and Cary crossing the room in a few quick strides of his long legs.
 
“Duo! It's really you. I haven't heard from you in so long.” Debbie's father stood and embraced the taller brunet man with a quick hug before looking back at the other three, rather awe struck, occupants of the dinning room.
 
“What?” Duo and Quatre said in unison.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
:: End Chapter 2 ::