Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Weather and Haul Wind ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Gundam Wing Fan Fiction by White Wings
AU Fan Fiction
Rated for language and violence
Disclaimer:
“I refuse to write anything here concerning the fact that the names of the characters belong to someone else!
Its ridiculous, all the readers KNOW that already! Sheesh!”
 
Weather and Haul Wind
Chapter 2
 
The sun was setting over the natural bay of Lunar Port when Heero awoke. The blazing red colors were filtering in though the window and washing over everything they touched. Heero sat up and threw his legs over the side of the bed slowly stretching as he stood. He groaned and fumbled sleepily over to the mirror. The bruise above his eye had started to heal but not before seeping down his face to cover the upper part of his cheek. His lip felt swollen but it didn't look to bad, the blue-eyed sailor sighed and turned away from the mirror as something heavy grabbed onto the leg of his pants. Looking down he found Quatre clinging to him and laughed a little.
 
“What are you doing Quatre?”
 
The little beast only chirped happily and looked at Heero hungrily though his long, messy, blond bangs. Quatre tugged on Heeros' pant leg a little and chirped again.
 
“You hungry?”
 
“Qua!” Quatre nodded vigorously
 
“All right, hold on.” Heero reached down and pulled Quatre off his leg, setting him gently in the desk chair as he went to get what little was left of the bread and cheese. The Guardian gobbled what was given to him quickly. Heero sat down on the edge of the bed and watched Quatre eat before starting to think out loud.
 
“You sure are a hungry little guy, I'll have to go by extra food just to keep you fed. Come to think of it, what are Guardians supposed to eat anyway? Maybe we should go to Redenge, surely someone there would know something.”
 
Redenge was a large island north of Lunar Port that what a gathering place for scholars and was well known for its large library and exceptional schools. It was rumored that even the royalty sent their children there to be educated. The people of Redenge wrote most of the books that crammed themselves onto Heeros' bookshelf, including the book on monsters and myths. If he went there then maybe he could find out more about the Lunar Guardians then what little was to be had here. Despite the fact that the Lunar Guardian myth had started there in Lunar Port the natives knew very little about it, other than the fact that it was beast to be held in the highest respect and to be looked upon as a protector of the people.
 
If they were going to sail to Redenge they were going to need some more provisions, what Heero had stored in the hold currently would probably only last a week between the two of them. He would have to use the last of his spending money sooner than he though. Heero sighed for what seamed like the thousandth time and stood, walking to the door. Quatre squeaked in question when he noticed that his friend was leaving.
 
“Stay here Quatre, do you understand? STAY.”
 
“mew….”
 
Quatre, looking rather dejected, sat back down in the chair and mewed quietly in reply.
 
“Good boy, I'll be back soon.”
 
Heero ducked out the door and locked it behind him. He wasn't worried about Quatre roaming around on the ship but if someone decided to come on board while he was gone then there might be a problem. He made his way down the portside plank that lead from the ships tidy deck to Lunar Ports' small dock, taking one last quick look over his shoulder at the ship before walking briskly toward the row of small shops that lined the harbor. It took longer to get the supplies he needed then he'd originally thought it would, as some of the shops were already closed. Heero was surprised that the shopkeepers didn't refuse to sell him the items he'd requested, he'd been sure his “father” would have, in some vain attempt to get even with him, forbidden them to sell to him. That was not the case however and Heero returned to his ship dragging a handcart full of crates, barrels, and sacks. He carefully unloaded each item from the cart and made the trek up the ramp and then down the stairs to the cargo hold. One by one the supplies were stored beneath deck and when he'd final finished Heero sat down on the ships had carved railing to catch his breath. His muscles were still sore from the workout he'd given them in the fight with his “father.”
 
He fiddled with the small, now much lighter, purse that was in his pocket. Heero had managed to save just enough of what little money he'd had to pay the docking fee when he arrived at Redenge but that was all. Once he got there he would have no money to replenish supplies, he could sleep on the ship so sleeping accommodations were covered What if he had to pay for information? Questions floated though his mind for a good while and the sun had set for the day, letting the stars and moon take over the watch, by the time he surface from the thoughts. Quatre would have to wait just a little longer.
 
Heero grabbed an ax and the handcart before trotting off into the woods. The people of Lunar Port had always been kind to him so it was natural for them to praise him for his skill but even the merchants that passed though recognized him as an exceptional wood carver. If he could find some good wood and use his what little free time he would have to make a few figures he could sell them in Redenge and get some more money that way. There was no guarantee it would work, there was always that chance, and if all else failed he could get a job when he arrived there and save up the wages he'd earn.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
 
All by himself in Heeros' cabin Quatre had become quickly bored; he had pulled all of the heavy paper things off the shelf in an attempt to find some pretty pictures but was sorely disappointed when only one of them had illustrations. He'd completely unmade the bed and rearranged the desk chair to get at the cupboard that he'd seen Heero get food from only to find it empty except for a few rolled up maps and some extra ink wells. For a while he sat amongst the disgruntled bed sheets and pouted at the locked door and then realized that the desk had drawers that he had yet to rummage though. He peeped excitedly when he found a shiny silver thing locked in a nicely carved wooden case. The many little buttons that covered its surface moved small levers that opened up holes that were hidden beneath. He giggled as he looked though the open end of the long slender object and then while he was inspecting it closely, sneezed. As the air rushed across the small opening on the surface is made a cool whistling sound. Quatre, shocked at first but the sudden noise, rapidly became fascinated with the object even further. He blew air across the little hole again and was again greeted with a soft whistle. Again and again he blew air into the silver tube, pausing to be pleased with himself every once in a while.
 
His small-clawed fingers slipped once and pressed down one of the buttons as he blew air into his new toy. It made a different noise this time! And so Quatre discovered the different notes that the silver thing could make as he pressed the buttons down in different combinations, each time resulting in a higher or lower pitched whistle. He became so enthralled with the excitement of discovering something new he didn't hear Heero when he opened the door and stood in the doorway enwrapped in socked silence.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
 
Heero returned from his trip to the woods with a good load of lumber from which he could make suitable pieces, and after unloading the handcart one more time, went back to his room. As he approached it he heard the soft notes of a flute from inside. He unlocked the door and pushed it open to find his room in shambles. All the books that had once been neatly placed on the shelves were now on the floor, some of them lying open, face down, or thrown into a messy pile. The chair was laying on its side and the doors of the cupboard were wide open, one of the maps he'd worked so hard to get on the verge of rolling out. His bed looked like it had been hit by a hurricane. The drawers of his desk stood open with papers and books sticking out. Then there was Quatre, sitting with Heeros' silver flute, in the middle of the disastrous room.
 
“Quatre!”
 
The little Guardian suddenly stopped piping away on the flute and went ridged at the sound of Heeros angry voice. Quatre turned around to face the door slowly, clutching the flute to his chest he gave Heero an awkward smile and giggled nervously before quickly scooting under the bed out of sight.
 
“Oh no you don't.”
 
Heero crossed the room quickly; careful to step over the books and papers that lay scatted all over the floor. He got down on his hands and knees and glared under the bed at the mischievous little monster that smiled nervously at him while still clutching the flute.
 
“Come out of there!”
 
The angry blue-eyes man reached in and wrapped his strong, callused, fingers around the base of Quatres' tail and dragged him out from his hiding place. The little creature protested loudly as he hung upside down by the tail but Heero ignored him and snatched the flute away from him. He deposited the little one down on the ransacked bed and went about picking up the books and paper, holding the flute in his hand all the while. Quatre cowered on the bed, trying to hide under the pillow by setting it on his head and pulling the corners down with his clawed hands, when Heero finished cleaning the room.
 
“You can't hide under that.” Heero said coldly, snatching away the pillow too. “You know what mess you made! You should be ashamed of yourself.”
 
Quatre bowed his head and nodded solemnly. Heero heard the little blond sniffle and sighed, he couldn't stay mad at the little critter. He kneeled down and took the young Guardians chin in his free hand.
 
“It's okay Quatre, I sorry. I over reacted.” He tried to give Quatre a smile but it had never been something he was good at. “This is special Quatre, you can mess the room up as much as you want but this...” Heero showed him the flute. “...this is special, okay?” Quatre nodded and ran his little fingers over the smooth silver body of the flute.
 
“Speckchal.” He cheeped.
 
“That's right, special. This belonged to my mother.”
 
Quatre reached for the flute and blew air across the mouthpiece making a weak trill. Heero laughed and gruffly messed with Quatres already messy hair.
 
“Do you want me to play it?”
 
“Tre.”
 
“All right.”
 
Heero put the mouthpiece to his lips and blew across it softly. The soft, almost sad tune that flouted about the room sound like a lullaby and it made Quatres eyes droop as Heero played. When the last note finally faded into the silence the player stared off into nothing, his mind floating off with the dieing notes.
 
“Mew?” Quatre mewed softly in question, tentatively touching Heeros' hand. Heero seemed to snap out of his daydream and he patted Quatre on the head. Heero stood and placed the flute back into its case and turned back to his little blond companion.
 
“Come one Quatre, we're going to the spring.” Heero picked up Quatre and clean change of closes before backing out of the room and walking off the ship and down a path that wove through the forest.
 
Quatre, from his perch sitting on Heeros' shoulder, looked all around him. The sun had set a few hours ago and so most of the townsfolk were home already. The streets, except those near the center of town, were all but empty. There was no one on the forest path ether, which was good because Heero would have had a hard time explaining why there was a mythical creature sitting on his shoulder. Quatre burbled happily as they walked through the woods, their way lighted by was moonlight found its way through the thick canopy of leaves above their heads. The clearing, way back in the deep heart of the woods, opened up and reveled a clear water hot spring. Heero kneeled by the waters edge and tested the warmth with is hand, its was balmy but not hot, just the right temperature for bathing. Quatre leapt from Heeros shoulder into the water and swam around beneath the surface, coming up the chirp at his human friend who was wiping the water that Quatre had splashed on him from his face.
 
Quatre was quite content in the water. He ducked back underneath the surface and used his dolphin like tail to power around the large spring. Heero smirked at the Guardian and peeled out of his shirt, pulling the now damp fabric over his shoulder and head to expose the toned body it had hidden. There were a few yellowing bruises that dotted his tanned skin, left over trophies from the fight with his “father.” Next came the shoes and socks, followed by the pants, all of which were thrown into a pile next to the neatly folded change of cloths that he'd brought with him. Heero slid into the water and just let the relieving feeling of the warm water sink in. After a while he dunked himself under the water, scrubbing his hair furiously with his fine-fingered hands, and then surfacing again to let the water drip from the long tendrils of dark brown hair back into the warm spring. He called Quatre, who was happily splashing about on the other side of the spring, and motioned for him to come over. The little blond obeyed curiously, but wished he hadn't later.
 
Heero grabbed Quatre and started to clean the blonds hair the way he'd done his own. The little Guardian could breath under water it seamed so he could scrub as long as he wanted. The trick was getting Quatre to stay still long enough to finish. The little blond, when finally done, was discovered to have very bright flaxen hair that shimmered wet in the moonlight. Heero then reached back into the pocket of his pants and pulled out the pair of scissors he'd hidden there before leaving his ship and proceeded to trim Quatres hair. In the end the little one looked down right frustrated but somewhat please as he could now see without having to sweep his bangs out of the way.
 
“There now, isn't that better?”
 
Quatre warbled a few notes of thanks before ducking back into the water and going back to swimming around. Heero climbed out of the spring and pulled one the fresh pair of pants. He'd just fastened the last button when he heard something in the brush under the shadows of the trees. He turned and shushed Quatre who was giggling near the edge. The little Guardian fell silent and sunk into the water so that just his eyes were peeking out above its glassy surface.
 
“Who's there?” Heero demanded, calling into the forest.
 
“Heero?” A brush swept Relena stumbled out from the underbrush.
 
“Relena? What are you doing out here?”
 
“I came to find you. Please come home Heero.”
 
“No.”
 
“Heero?”
 
“I'm leaving for Redenge in the morning, and besides I believe your father disowned me.” He turned away from his “guest” and reached down, picking up his fresh shirt and slipping it over his shoulders.
 
“Please Heero, I know Father didn't mean it. He was just angry.”
 
“He's angry a lot.”
 
“Heero!”
 
Heero turned his head and gave Relena a short glare before turning back around and starting to fold the other cloths neatly.
 
“Go home Princess.”
 
“But...”
 
“Go home!” He barked gruffly, Relena flinched behind him but instead of turning to she ran forward and threw herself on Heero, sobbing.
 
“Heero, please?” she pleaded in-between her sobs.
 
“Relena! Get off...” Heero shoved her away from him and sent her sprawling onto her spoiled butt. “Go back to the house Relena, without me.”
 
“So... you're never coming back?”
 
Heero shook his head. No, he was never going back. Tomorrow he was leaving and that would be the end of it. If he ever came back to Lunar Port it would be by accident. Behind him he could hear Relena sobbing as she wandered back the way she came. The night silence took over but Heero waited until the sounds of Relenas' sobbing had died away completely before he gave the okay for Quatre to start making noise again. The little Guardian gladly started splashing about, swimming enthusiastically here and there around the spring. Occasionally he would bring a shinny rock or other interesting object back to Heero and show it off like a prize, but after some time Quatres enthusiasm waned and he started to grow sleepy. He slowly climbed out of the spring and shook himself dry, his wet hair flinging drops of water in all directions.
 
“Ready to go back?” Heero questioned. He'd almost fallen asleep in the grass beside the hot spring and so he stretched before gathering up the cloths and Quatre in his arms and making the trip back to the his ship.
 
The town was truly settled by the time they arrived back on deck. There were only a few windows still flickering with lantern light. It was just as well, Heero thought as he slid into his quarters, placing an already sleeping Quatre on the bed. Heero kicked off his soft leather boots and took one last look around the dark room before settling himself beneath the winkled blankets. Tomorrow he... they, were finally leaving and he would need what sleep he could get. Heero shifted around several times before finally drifting off to sleep.
 
Morning came to early as Heero was awakened by the sounds of the local fisherman gathering themselves up to prepare to go out for the day. He sat up and rubbed his shoulders before pushing himself off the bed toward the door. Quatre stirred for a moment and then snuggled back into the sheets after noting that the noise was only Heero preparing for the day. The sun had yet to peek its brilliant head over the waters surface and yet the little harbor of Lunar Port was already busy and very much alive. Heero, who was now on deck, went about checking all the yards and made sure that the lanyards he'd tied off the previous day had not slipped. He made one more sweep of the hold, gathering some supplies to feed himself and Quatre later, before he weighed the anchor and unfurled the main sail. A few of the men on the docks shouted and waved their goodbyes when Heeros' ship pulled away from the docks. Heero waved back from behind the wheel, and in a very short time he was out at open sea. Once he was a safe distance away from the bay he brought the ship about in the direction of Redenge. He smiled at the easy, smooth movement of his vessel. He'd rigged it so carefully that even the slightest touch would change her course. He locked the rudder to keep her on course before descending to his room to rouse Quatre.
 
The little ball of newly wakened energy was already up and he jumped at Heero when he opened the door. Quatre babbled happily when he noticed the food stuffs in Heeros' hand, climbing up into the chair and leaning forward with his little palms on the table chirping excitedly he waited for his friend to hand him his share before hopping up to sit on the table top. Heero in turn sat on the chair and the two quickly finished off the morning meal. Heero, when he returned to the deck, left the door to his quarters open so that Quatre could come and go freely from the small room.
 
Quatre went about his own business for the better part of the day; looking at this, inspecting that, brining little bits of thing to Heero when he thought they were interesting. When the young Guardian noticed the full white sails he peeped excitedly. He called out something over and over, bouncing about and pointing to them. Heero couldn't quite hear what his companion was saying. It was different from the normal chirps and quarks, it sounded more like a formed word.
 
“What is it Quatre?”
 
“Dwinks!”
 
“What?” Heero locked the wheel again and approached the Guardian.
 
“Dwings!”
 
“Dwings? Do you mean `wings'?”
 
“Dwings.” Quatre nodded and smiled as he pointed at the white sails.
 
“Well I suppose they're like wings, of a sort.” Heero answered and then a light flickered on in his head. The name. The name he'd been unable to come up with for so long, that was it! He rushed to his room and pulled out he book of blueprints flipping hurriedly to the last page. Grabbing up his pen he wrote, in an elegant, well-practiced hand, the word “Wing” on the line he'd designated for the official name of his ship.
 
A small chirp of question sounded from the door and Heero turned to see Quatre peeking into the dim room. Heero chuckled, a rare thing for him, as he put his pen down and stood. He made his way to the door and picked Quatre up and returned with him to the wheel. He looked out over his ship with Quatre sitting on his shoulder.
 
“You're a geniuses little guy. Lets take this `Wing' and go. Were on our way to Redenge!”
 
Quatre gave and loud squeak in agreement as Heero let out a whoop of enthusiasm, navigation the Wing off over the rolling, ever changing, blue waves of the ocean.
 
------------------
::Note from the Author::
Thank you every on who reviewed on the first chapter. I really appreciate it, but just
because you got me to write more doesn't me you can slack off on your end.
Keep reading and, for the love of all that's good and smex, keep reviewing.”
REVIEW! CLICK THE LITTLE PURPPLE BUTTON!