Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Weather and Haul Wind ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Gundam Wing Fan Fiction by White Wings
 
AU Fan Fiction
 
Rated for language and violence
 
Disclaimer:
 
“I refuse to write anything here concerning the fact that the names of the characters belong to someone else!
It's ridiculous; all the readers KNOW that already! Sheesh!”
 
Weather and Haul Wind
 
Chapter 7
 
The day passed quickly, most of it was spent ether describing the events of the previous night to the police, who had come to collect the bodies, or packing the few belongings the he had. Most of them were books. There were two boxes full of them sitting next to the stair the contents ranging from philosophy to how to “cook a meal in ten minutes.” Some of them were quite old, some were new, some where even hand written copies of others but they all had their usefulness. Besides the boxes of books, which Heero had encouraged him to bring, he had a small duffle bag of clothing and his late fathers' notes, all of them that he was able to find anyway. His father had never been the neat-and-tidy type and had often made several copies of the same sheet of notes incase one was misplaced somewhere in his wreck of a study. He was uselessly trying to organize the random bits of scribbled information when Rish padded down the stairs and pressed his cold wet nose into the back of Trowas' neck causing the tall green eyed man to twitch involuntarily. The huge Heldel-wolf sat back on its haunches panting with his tongue hanging out laughingly as a pair of bright green eyes glared over a fine bones shoulder at him.
 
“You think that's funny do you?” Trowa muttered to the beast but it just smiled with that wolf-ish smile.
 
“Trowa, are you ready?”
 
Cathy came in the front door and left it open as she crossed the stone tile floor to where he sat on the last stair fingering a weather stained notebook whose pages were falling out.
 
“Just about.”
 
Through his long brown bangs he watched his sister as she tucked her long skirt under her knees and sat down next to him, laying one arm over the neck of Rish, who leaned into the embrace. She was silent but Trowa could tell she was desperately wanting to say something, perhaps she just could not find the right words. He tucked the last of the tattered notes into the large, water-proof, leather satchel and stood.
 
“I guess I should get going, the wagon is here.” He said, looking out the door and down the long drive as a horse drawn wagon came trotting up the paved way.
 
“Wait.” Cathy said softly, reaching out and catching the edge of his long sleeved tunic with a delicate thin fingered hand. “Trowa...” He heard the border of tears on her voice and turned to face her as she stood up and embraced him in a strong hug with arms that didn't look as if they should have been able to crush a mans ribs, but did in her sorrow. “Take care of yourself, I'll miss you.”
 
“Hm.” Was all he could reply
 
The wagon master helped to load the boxes into the back of the bed and then when he and Trowa were both settled in the seat he clicked at the matched pair of bays and took off down the drive. Trowa chanced a glance back though his long bangs and saw his sister standing in the door with Rish sitting at her hip. She stayed on the porch waving goodbye long after her brother disappeared from site and then retreated into the house to cry the tears she'd been holding in since the moment he'd told her he was leaving.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------
 
Heero and the crew had gone back to the Wing early that morning, after the hearty breakfast the Cathy Bloom had insisted they stay and eat, to make the preparations to leave as the tide left early the next morning. When Trowa and his wagon arrived late that evening, as the sun began to dye the sky all shades of pink, orange, and purple, Heero was checking the condition of the anchor chain while Duo was scurrying up and down each Yard checking that none of the ropes that held the sails to them where frayed or worn. These were all things they'd done when the first came into port but it never hurt to be cautious. Wufei was below with Quatre in the Galley preparing a light meal and checking the food stores to make sure none of the goods had spoiled while they still had the opportunity to replace them. Despite their insistence that she owed them nothing Lady Catherine Bloom had impressed upon them a large sum of “change” to “help here and there” and she had refused to hear another word of it after the heavy canvas purse rested in Heeros' palm.
 
Duo waved enthusiastically to the green eyed man as he all but glided down out of the wagons seat to the wooden harbor planks with a catlike grace that seamed perfectly natural... at least to the Wing crew who all had a kind exceptional grace that each had developed somewhere in their lives. Heero finished his check of the anchor and walked down the portside plank to assist the green eyed scholar with the heavy boxes of books. Duo repelled down the mast with the help of a rope he'd attached to the railing of the crows' nest landing on the deck with soundless feet and then hurrying over to offer what assistance he could at loading his new shipmates' belongings. Trowa opted to take up lodging in the other, until now unoccupied, crew quarters. His books, which Heero noted as he helped to place each on a shelf, were many and of grate variety. Of the three built in book shelves in the room they filled two of them the third held Professor Bloom's notes on mystical creatures and other animals of the world and one odd trinket that resembled a crystal ball except that it had a pearl-like quality to it instead of being clear. Trowa said that it was an egg of some sort that his father had collected on one of his many expeditions; but there nothing in the mans writings suggested what was inside said egg. It was a mystery that fascinated Duo and a round object that excited the kittens. Shin and Scythe both sat on either side of the sphere and stared at it for hours. They were still there when Trowa returned to his room after dinner.
 
“That's quite enough I think.” He said as he crossed to the book shelf from the door and picked up a kitten in each hand and then moving to deposit them outside the room, he shut the door quickly so that they could not rush back in. He sighed deeply and all but collapsed into the mattress of the nearest bunk. He lay there for a moment wishing desperately to be able to go to sleep but forced himself up and to the desk. He pulled out the first group of research papers, a stack of clean paper and a quill and ink set that had conveniently been added to the supplies of the room and started about the grueling task of re-writing all the notes.
 
It would take a long time; he had no doubts about that, so there was no point in procrastinating. Most of the notes were worn to the point that it was difficult to decipher what was written on the aged cypress paper, other pieces were written so messily scrawled that one could almost say that it was just scribbles.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------
 
Trowa had been about his work for some time now. Through the wall he could hear one of his crewmates snoring rather loudly and he wondered how the other continued to sleep. He put down his quill pen and rubbed his writing, it was sore from the constant use but he had a lot to go yet. With a sigh he reached for the tankard of water he'd brought from the Galley only to find it oddly light and realized that he had, in his absent minded state, finished off the water already. With a groan he let his head fall to the cushion of his arms and with a most uncharacteristic whimper he reached for the pen once again a few moments later.
 
The quiet sound of feet padding up behind him made Trowa turn and he saw Quatre as he was when they'd fist met; in the form of a little boy of about ten summers. If it weren't for that fact that the unclothed Guardian had a pair of soft feathery wings and tiger like arms one would never have thought him different from any other ten year old child. The blue eyes creature stopped by the arm of the chair and offered something to the green-eyed scholar: a fresh tankard of water. Trowa took it gratefully and thanked Quatre with a nod. The brilliant blue eyes of his little companion shone with gleeful delight at the thanks. He warbled out something that almost sounded like “you're welcome...” almost... Trowa watched the little one scamper out the way he'd come, closing the door behind him carefully as not to make noise that could wake the others, quite a courteous maneuver for such an energetic creature but it made since when he thought that is was Heero who'd been raising Quatre. Trowa to a deep swig of the cool water and went back to work.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------
 
Heero leaned against the wall just outside the door to Trowas room; as Quatre shut the door ever so carefully he allowed himself a small smile. Taking Quatres outstretched hand he led the way back upstairs to his own quarters.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------
 
Sleep fogged eyes blinked open to the sound of fishermen preparing their vessels. He swung his legs over the edge of the bed and let his feet rest on the cold wooden floor for a moment before heaving himself up to standing and stretching. His room mate murmured something in his sleep and rolled over. With a sigh Wufei pulled a clean shirt from the stack on the top bed of his bunk, not surprise that it was covered with short black hairs; he was sure the kittens LOVED to sleep on the crews clothing. He was out in the hall, padding his way down to the Galley a few minutes later, above him he could hear the footsteps of someone up on deck, no doubt Heero was already up making final preparations to leave. The messy haired young man had sailed this ship in and out of harbors by himself before so this task was obviously no problem for him. It would help of course if there was a hot mug of black coffee waiting for him to take the edge of the cold of the morning mist when he was done though and Wufei, as the cook, knew this well.
 
He set about working the coals in the stove into a steady flame again before dropping into the cargo hold for supplies. The well stocked cargo hold was his pride, organized, clean, and rat free thanks to Shin and Scythe. Pulling a little of this and that from a few crates he returned up the steep staircase to the kitchen where he spread the items out on the clean countertop before going about the task of cooking it all up to feed the crew. Heero, he'd learned, was not a picky eater. For the most part his captain would eat anything that didn't run away first. There were some exceptions for course but nothing significant. Duo, their accountant of sorts, was much the same as Heero except that he at twice as much as a man twofold his size. The young rouge was definitely their most voracious eater. Quatre liked sweet fruits and fish best and Wufei had notice that he picked out sour or strong smelling things like onions before eating his food. It was for these “people” he based his menu on. Trowa was a new addition so until the dragon clansman had yet to have time to study his eating habits.
 
He absentmindedly set the cup of hot coffee on the counter while the rest of his attention was focused on the skillet sizzling on the open flame of the stove. The sound of porcelain scraping on wood told him in the back of his mind that Heero had arrived and clamed his morning dose of caffeine.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------
 
After Heero was settled and started on his second cup of coffee Duo drifted in and stretched with a wide yawn, followed on the heals buy Shin and Scythe. Quatre came scampering in as Wufei was moving the food to the table, a large crab in his hands. He showed it to everyone, quite happy with his catch, eventually he handed it off to Wufei who grinned and disappeared with the crab, only to return a few minutes later with a bowl of fruit. By this time Trowa had joined the rest of the crew, slightly rumpled and tired looking he nodded a greeting before sitting down to eat.
 
After the last of the sleepy aura wore off the meal became quite energetic. Heero and Trowa, who still looked as though he needed a few more hours of shut-eye, discussed their course while Duo and Quatre argued over the last link of sausage which Wufie ended up claming just to stop Duo's insistent ramblings. This earned him a frustrated glare but it was good so he looked away and chewed on it intently.
 
The first to arrive and the first to leave; Heero stood up from his place on the bench and re-dawned his thick leather gloves. Checking the length of rope and short dagger clipped to his waist he walked out of the Galley with purpose. Duo followed their captain, knowing instinctively that it was time to climb up to the crows nest. Trowa offered to help with cleanup but Wufie graciously refused him.
 
“You look like death himself, go get some sleep and rest that hand of yours.” The dragon said as he stacked the plates and empty platters on one outstretched arm.
 
Trowa sighed with a small grin before nodding submissively, apparently Wufei wasn't the only one to have told him this, and so he walked quietly back to his own room. This left just Wufie and Quatre in the Galley with the kittens. The little guardian, who had grown significantly since Wufie had first met him, was sitting at the table playing with the silverware. He reluctantly gave the shiny objects to the cook when he was asked for them and hopped down from the bench, following Wufie into the kitchen like a chick.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------
 
Heero moved quickly though the steps of getting the ship ready to sail, he'd finished most of his routine before breakfast and was just putting on the finishing touches. Duo climbed agilely up into the crows nest, singing a little song to himself as he did so, Heero watched him out of the corner of his eye as he griped the fluke of the Killick as he brought it up out of the water and lashed it to the railing. He went about unfurling the sails once the anchor was secure and one by one the sails filled with the wind coming down off of Redenge Island. They were off, sailing out of the harbor as the sun came over the edge of the water, lighting their way and promising clean weather and good sailing.
 
With a final tug to the line Heero moved gracefully to the helm. It was a good feeling, to have that hard polished wood clutched in his hands, as he spun the wheel to the left. It wasn't long before the island of Redenge disappeared into vast blue of the waves and they were once again in open sea. Quatre was gliding lazily near the bow, watching the sun shimmer on the water and looking for any unsuspecting fish that should happen to come to close to the surface. If the little blond caught anything it would make a tasty addition to their next meal.
 
As the sun moved across the sky Heero let Wufie take the helm and went about his daily routine: making rope from the fiber of those that had broken or become worn, mending worn patches in spare sails, and washing the deck. Quatre loved this chore and so he did most of the work, bringing up the water and sloshing it across the places that had yet to be or had just finished being scrubbed clean.
 
The days passed one after another like the ones before. Heero, Quatre, Wufie, and Duo spent most of their time on deck during the day while Trowa stayed below deck for well over two weeks copying and organizing his fathers' notes. Shin and Scythe took a liking to the young scholar and when they weren't causing trouble or playing with Duo in the crows nest they curled up at his feet and when he slept they curled up on his pillow.
 
Trowa, Heero and Wufie had all agreed that they should head to another island with a similar myth of Lunar Guardians to see if they could find out more about Quatre. So when Duo cheerily hollered “Land Ho” on hot afternoon, the whole of the crew was excited, some for other reasons then a chance to dig for information but excited none the less. The island was called Daphar; like Lunar Port it had a shrine to Lunar Guardians at its heart, though it was much better cared for then the ruins on Lunar Port. Here the captain of the Wing hoped he might find some much needed answers to some very urgent questions. Once Wing was docked in the harbor the crew disembarked, all except Shin and Scythe who sat at the opening from which the gang plank extended to the dock in an action the spoke of their intent to guard the ship.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------
 
Duo was ecstatic to be on land again, sailing was all well and good but the felling of solid ground beneath ones feet... you just cant top that. With a burst of energy only he could muster Duo raced off from the rest of the crew and disappeared from their view into the winding streets of Daphar. With the coins he'd earened from selling Heero's carvings in Redenge jingling in one of his many pockets Duo trotted down the streets. There were many sailors going from shop to shop. Some were merchants: their flamboyant, well kept appearance gave them away. The navy sailors were all in uniform so they were easy to pick out, and avoid. And the privateers, they had their presence in Daphar as well. Having had enough of pirates all together, Duo slid to the other side of the street whenever he saw one, or someone who gave him the impression of “Pirate.” He wasn't at all interested in having a repeat of the night he and Wufie joined Heeros' crew. But seeing all these different factions of sailor Duo began to wonder, what was Heero? And for that matter what was he? None of the Wings crew fit the description of a pirate or a merchant, and they definitely weren't enlisted men so what were they to call themselves?
 
So distracted by his thoughts was Duo that he almost fell over with shock when a big hand landed on either of his shoulders. He did jump and squeal rather girlishly but managed to save himself the embarrassment of falling flat on his ass. He looked up, for that was the only way to meet the eyes of the man who held him.
 
Easily more then six and a half feet tall the long, wavy, well kept curls of the tall man framed a handsome chiseled face with bright brown eyes that practically glowed with mischief. He was dressed all in black except for the silvery hilt of his rapier where it hung at his hip.
 
Duo must have looked astonished or at least awe struck because when the man let go of his shoulders he laughed and roughly tussled the hair on the top of Duos' head with one of his big, long fingered hands.
 
“Best keep your mind from wanderin' away from your feet there lad, lest you bump inta someone whos not as good humored as I.”
 
Duo could only nod in agreement before he pulled away in a quick retreat and trotted off down the street away from the man and into a small ally between two houses. From here he turned around and looked back, watching the man in black with suspicious eyes. From his new vantage point he watched as the tall man placed a hand on the shoulder of a much shorter woman who was in the process of sheathing her own rapier and giving the man a stern look. She said something and the man just laughed and waved the comment off.
 
This woman was a good two heads shorter than the man in black and she was dressed in a pristine white set of trousers and equally white tunic. Her long, strait, dark hair was pulled back into a severe high ponytail, a pair of small glasses that looked like they would belong to a librarian rested on her nose but they did nothing to block her intense dark brown eyes. She was as beautiful as her partner was handsome though Duo could tell that there were a lot of sharp, cruel, thorns on that white rose. Duo watched the pair disappear into the crowed as they walked down the road side by side until he couldn't see them anymore before he emerged from his ally and continued up the street.
 
He went into a few shops and picked up a few trinkets here and there but his mind kept flickering back to the man-in-black and the woman-in-white. The haunted the corners of his mind every time he stopped to think.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------
 
Heero, Trowa, and a disguised Quatre went strait to the shrine from the harbor while Wufie went off to sell what of Heeros' carving he could and procure whatever supplies Wing and its crew were in need of. Heero walked with a one minded forwardness while Quatre happily skipped about in all directions, looking at this, poking at that, and Trowa walked with much the same purpose as Heero but he let his eyes wander over everything in the same fashion that Quatres hands were exploring. They reached the shrine eventually and stopped outside its walls for a moment's respite.
 
The walls of the Shrine of the Lunar Guardian were tall solid sheets of rock that stuck strait up in the air. The upper edges were worn down and rounded out but were still at least as tall as two grown men and a good three feet thick. The ancient trees within the walls of the shrine rose even further above their heads then the walls, their dark green leaves shading all under their wide canopies. Heero only took a moments to take all this in before leading the way though the huge half circle arch that served as the shrines only entrance.
 
Within the shrine there were people roaming around here and there, some were caretakers others where either residents of Daphar there to pray for safe sailing or visiting sailors playing tourist. The marble stone on which Heero stood wove its way to the center of the shrine where the marble was placed just so that it make a huge circular center square in the center of which stood a huge statue of a Lunar Guardian. As they got closer Heero realized that there were many more realistically sized Lunar Guardians frozen in flight around the central figure. It was an impressive sight to behold but the eerie felling that the eyes of the smaller guardians gave him sent continuous shivers down his spine, they were too lifelike. He sent Trowa a glance and the tall scholar nodded in agreement with the silent question. He was getting an odd feeling from the statues as well.
 
“You there; what do you think you're doing!”
 
The shrill exclamation of the grounds keep shook Heero out of his uneasy thoughts and to the small blond figure climbing up the side of the statue. He heard himself groan and his feet moved instinctively forward after Quatre. The grounds keeper beat him there by just a few seconds but those few seconds were enough to scare poor Quatre. When the little blond realized that the angry man was climbing up after him he braced himself and jumped off. Weeks upon weeks of practice helped him calculate the power and angel at which he needed to launch himself to land square in Heero arms below.
 
As soon as Quatre hit him Heero wrapped his arms around the little Guardians body and turned heel towards the archway. Trowa was hot on their tail as were the grounds keepers. Quatre babbled something about being a bad boy in Heeros' ear as he ran but he could only shake his head in disagreement because he need all the breath his lungs could get at the moment. Half the town and six sharp alleyways later Heero and Trowa slid to the ground panting while Quatre warbled worriedly. They had finally lost the shrine keepers but neither of them had any desire to move for a long time. Heeros' calves were burning; he hadn't run that much that fast in a long time.
 
Trowas' head shot up for where he'd let it fall to his shoulder as the sound of approaching feet reached his ears. Both of the young men were about to spring to their tired legs and book it down another alley before an inquisitive, slightly worried voice called out to them.
 
“Heero? Trowa? Is that you guys?”
 
Duo and Wufei emerged from the alley way that they'd taken to get off the main street. Both had looks of confusion and worry on their well tanned faces. Trowa and Heero slumped back down to the wall with sighs of relief.
 
“What on earth were your running though the streets like that for?” Wufie grumbled as he raised an eyebrow at the exhausted pair.
 
“Doesn't matter.” Trowa said shortly
 
“Oh yea? That true?” Duo gave Heero a look that said he wasn't buyin' it and the blue-eyes sailor sighed again.
 
“Were not going to getting any questions answered at the shrine, that suit you better?”
 
“Why? What did you do? Break the altar?”
 
“Close, Quatre went climbing.”
 
“Quatre!”
 
“Mew...”
 
The little blond whimpered and tried to hide behind Heero but to no avail. Duo ended up chasing the young Guardian around the small ally until they both tired each other out. By now Wufie had gotten the whole story out of Trowa and Heero and the three of them were sitting quietly waiting for Quatre and Duo to finish their childish antics. There was an awkward moment of silence before Duo broke it with his eternally hungry stomach.
 
“Shall we to the tavern and get some food?” Heero offered
 
“Aye!” was the unanimous vote
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------
 
The tavern was noisy and full a people of all professions from basket maker to soldier, here the crew of the Wing ordered a hardy meal and were enjoying it thoroughly when a cherry voice interrupted them.
 
“Well look what we have here! Finally get your head out of the clouds lad?”
 
Duo about dropped his spoon when he saw the man in black walk up to their table out of the crowd. The rest of the crew all turned to look at the man who managed to stop their most energetic eater with a few words.
 
“You!”
 
“Yes, me. And you are?”
 
Heero stood and moved to intercept the man in black, though he did it politely.
 
“My name is Heero Yuy, I believe you have already meet my watchmen Duo Maxwell.” He reached out his hand in a respectful gesture and the taller man took it.
 
“Ah Captain Yuy, I've heard of you. My name is Eduard Allen Blackwater, it's a pleasure.”
 
“Indeed, though I think you must be mistaking me for someone else, I am not a man of any sort of fame.”
 
“Oh poppycock, you're that young rough who let Edmar have it on Larker! Good show that.” Blackwater laughed and patted Heero on the shoulder.
 
“Captain.” Came a clear dry voice from behind the tall dark haired man and Blackwater turned and then with a sweeping motion half pulled half pushed a woman dressed completely in white up to his side.
 
“Good timin' kid! Heero, this is my Buffer and First mate May Lynn Armaro.”
 
“Hello.” May said shortly before elbowing her mischievous captain in the ribs and giving him a sour look.
 
Duo had been right, and she was even more beautiful up close.
 
“Ow, you're always so violent May.” Blackwater whimpered playfully as he rubbed his bruised rib.
 
By now the rest of the Wings crew had taken to their feet and were standing behind Heero, and since Captain Blackwater had been kind enough to introduce May it only seamed right for Heero to introduce the rest of the crew.
 
“Hello, m'lady... This is the rest of my crew, Wufei Chang, Trowa Barton, and this little fellow is Quatre.”
 
May's eyes flickered to Quatres face for a second before she nodded her “hellos” to the other crew mates and then she took to one knee as Blackwater said his and look Quatre strait in the face.
 
“Ah, a Guardian...” she whispered but Heero heard her and with a movement that was almost to fast to see he wrapped his fist in the callor of Quatres tunic and jerked him backward away from the woman to stand protectively in front of him.
 
 
 
------------------
 
::Note from the Author::
“Hey guys I'm sorry it took so long to update, really I am.
 
I have a request for all my readers
I've gotten some feed back that concerns me, my summery of this
story doesn't do it justice, I'd like you guys to give it a shot.
Try writing a summery for this story biased on what you know.
If you feel you kneed to know more of the plot to come in Weather and Haul Wind
to do it justice then send me an email or leave a review with your question.
When you're done writing it e-mail it to me and I'll put the pen name
of the person with the best summery on the opening credits as thanks.
Please guys I really need your help.
 
“Thank you every one who has reviewed so far. I really appreciate it.
 
Hope you liked this chapter as much as the others. Keep reading and keep reviewing.”
 
!CLICK THE LITTLE PURPPLE BUTTON!