Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ When the Rain Comes ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

A banging door woke me up. The clock next to my bed told me that it was a little past midnight. I was in a small safe house, where Duo and I were resting after our failed mission. There was only one room with one bed and a couch, and a small cabinet that held enough supplies for a few days. I was asleep on the couch; I had insisted that Duo take the bed, as he had been upset over what had happened at the so-called meeting of the OZ elite.
 
It didn't help to know that I was the one who had screwed everything up so badly.
 
The door banged again, and I realized two things. One, Duo wasn't in his bed, and two, it was raining outside.
 
I pushed aside the thin sheet that covered my legs and headed outside. I could see a lone figure with a long braid standing a few yards away from the door.
 
Coming behind him, I said, “Baka, you'll catch a cold.”
 
He turned to me with his violet eyes full of tears, and I cursed myself yet again for what had happened.
 
“Heero?” His voice was so full of despair. He took a step towards me and began to fall to the ground. I reached out to catch him, and we both slumped down in a heap.
 
I could feel his body start to shake as the tears fell. He clung to my shirt, his fists balled around the green fabric, and I pulled him closer to me, not knowing what else to do.
 
“I failed them Heero… I failed Sister Helen and Father Maxwell and Solo and all those orphans that don't deserve what I went through. Failed…” Duo was interrupted by his own sobs, harsh sounds that wracked his small frame.
 
My throat grew tight as I answered, “You didn't do anything. It was my fault. I know it, you know it, and the other pilots know it. I'm so sorry.” It was all I could do to keep from crying myself. You can imagine my surprise when I felt a fist connect with my face. I looked up to see Duo's eyes filled with quiet anger.
 
“Don't take all the blame. Any one of us would have done the same, and you know it.”
 
I looked away. I did know that. That didn't change the fact that I had been the one to take away their lives and our only chance for peace.
 
I felt Duo pull away from my embrace. I let my arms slide away from his comforting warmth.
 
“Look at me, Heero.”
 
I looked at him. The tremor was back in his lip, and I knew that he was near tears again. Guilt ripped at my heart, guilt for making those eyes seem so lifeless.
 
“I d-don't know what we're going t-to d-do,” he began, and I could tell that he was fighting with all his might to take control once again of his sorrow. The sorrow that I had cause because of my foolish actions.
 
I reached out and covered his mouth with two of my fingers, silencing him. He looked at me, and he seemed ready to break.
 
“I will find a way to fix this. I will continue to fight for the colonies and for peace. It's my duty, now.” I hoped that my words would bring him comfort, but instead I saw more tears well up in those violet orbs.
 
“I know that you'll never stop fighting for them, Heero. I believe in you. I just can't stop thinking about those people… they never did anything wrong, and I… feel so helpless… I don't know what to do.” The tears began to fall again, and he lurched forward, palms pressed flat against the ground, shoulders shaking.
 
I carefully placed my hand on his shoulder, but I didn't want to make it worse than it was. I just felt that he needed to know that I was there. He surprised me yet again by burrowing his head into my shoulder and continuing to cry.
 
“Don't you dare blame yourself for this,” I heard him whisper as he calmed down. I remained silent because I knew that talking would help him. “I don't know how to make all this pain go away. I'm so sick of death, of Shinigami. I just want to leave, and to hide forever.”
 
I waited for a moment before saying very softly, “But hiding is such a lonely thing to do.” I wasn't even sure if he had heard me until I felt his arms encircle my waist. But he stayed silent, so I continued to talk, for my sake as much as his. “I can't stop this from hurting you. I want to, but I don't know how. If you want me to, I'll stay here with you, until it becomes a little easier to live again.”
 
I felt his lips curve slightly against my collarbone. “I wouldn't suggest it.” His voice sounded bitter. “Death follows me everywhere. I don't want to see Shinigami take away anyone else.”
 
One of my hands reached up to grasp his thick braid. “I don't believe in God, not even the God of Death. So, I'll stay until you tell me to leave.”
 
His eyes bore into mine as he said, “Can you promise that? I don't want you to say empty words out of sympathy.”
 
I felt a small smile tug at my lips. “I promise.” I could tell by the look on his face that he trusted me.
 
Duo stood up, and offered me his hand. I took it, and we both walked back to the safe house, fingers intertwined. As the rain hit my face, I thought to myself, I can't stop your pain, but I'll hold onto you until it goes away.