Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ When You Come Back Down ❯ When You Come Back Down ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]
When You Come Back Down
By Angel Love

Author's Notes: This is my first Heero/Relena fic. When I first heard 'When You Come Back Down' by Nikel Creek, it just spoke to me. Well I hope that you all enoy this little look into the fluff in my head.

Standard disclaimers apply. I don't own Gundam Wing or 'When You Come Back Down'. I merely borrowed them for a time to make this fic.


~ You got to leave me now,
You got to go alone ~

A young girl watched a young boy with messy chocolate brown hair and intense Prussian blue eyes disappear from beside the red curtain. She knew that he had to go. There was nothing that she could do to change his mind. He had to find himself. She just hoped that someday he would return to her, for he would always hold the key to her heart.

A tear slipped from her blue eyes as she whispered, "Good luck, Heero. I will always love you."

Then she continued her speech in front of the press. It was her effort to keep peace so that Heero would never have to fight again.

~ You got to chase your dream,
One that's all your own
Before it slips away ~

The same young boy looked back, somehow hearing the whispered words deep in his soul. He wanted to stay with her, but he knew that she needed to stand on her own. Some day when she had accomplished the peace that she dreamed about, he would return to her.

"Good luck, Relena," he whispered before disappearing in the shadows.

~ When you're flying high,
Take my heart along
I'll be the harmony to every lonely song
That you learn to play ~

Relena worked long and hard hours, trying to achieve her dreams. She met many people that didn't want to listen to a young girl, or just questioned her ideals.

But when things seemed to overwhelm her, she would just sit quietly in her bedroom and hold an old worn teddy bear in her arms and think of her dark angel that saved her life so many times. And she would sigh his name into the night, knowing that he would always be her beacon of strength.

~ When you're soaring through the air
I'll be your solid ground
Take every chance you dare
I'll still be there when you come back down
When you come back down ~

Heero too worked long and hard. He was now designing security systems in the colonies. All the while discovering that he didn't have to be only a soldier, that he could be something else.

But every once in awhile in his quiet moments, he would find himself fingering a photograph. He would sigh out the name of the vice-foreign minister, knowing that she had given him is freedom and allowed him to discover how to live without killing anyone.

~ I'll keep looking up,
Awaitin' your return
My greatest fear will be that you will crash and burn
And I won't feel your fire ~

Relena found herself outside on one of the balconies during a ball that was held in honor of the anniversary to peace. She found herself very proud of the fact that it had finally been achieved. She had to learn the hard way that not all of her ideals were right, but that was part of growing. She was willing to admit her mistakes.

Her pale blue dress fluttered softly with the breeze as she looked up towards where she knew Colony L1 was located. Her blue eyes closed for a moment wishing to feel its strongest warrior in her presence once more.

"Heero, I hope you are okay," she whispered.

~ I'll be the other hand that always holds the line
Connectin' in between your sweet heart and mine
I'm strung out on that wire ~

Heero sat quietly watching the television. His jaw dropped open when he saw the news show Relena arriving at the ball.

His hungry gaze took in her golden spun hair, let loose for one, as it cascaded down her back like spun silk. Her pale blue dress hugged her breasts, and flared out at the waist. Gone was the awkward teenager that he knew, in its place was a gorgeous woman.

His heart ached to hold her as her eyes met his through the TV. She smiled softly, as if she knew that he was there watching her.

~ I'll be on the other end
To hear you when you call
Angel, you were born to fly
And if you get to high I'll catch you when you fall
I'll catch you when you fall ~

Relena was reading a document in her office when she received a phone call from one of the Gundam Pilots, Quatre Winner.

"Hello, Miss Relena," he greeted.

Relena smiled at the blond Arabian. "Hi, Quatre. To what do I owe this call?"

"I am having a get together with everyone and I wanted you to come."

"Everyone?" Relena's eyes shown with hope.

Quatre smiled, knowing exactly what Relena hoped for. "Yes, he will be there as well."

After assuring Quatre that she would be there and hanging up the vidphone, Relena looked out her window, closing her eyes briefly. "Heero," she sighed. "It has been so long."

~ Your memory's the sunshine every new day brings
I know the sky is calling
Angel, let me help you with wings ~

Heero was standing in front of the Winner residence. He almost told Quatre no to coming but the memory of Relena's soft smile made him agree.

He knew that she would be here. And somehow he felt that it was no time for him to move on with his life, move on with his angel. He would let her know how much she meant to him today. "Mission accepted," he said quietly.

With that mission in mind, he quickly walked up the steps and knocked on the door.

~ When you're soaring through the air
I'll be your solid ground
Take every chance you dare
I'll still be there when you come back down ~

Heero was surrounded by his fellow pilots when the butler announced that Relena had arrived. His eyes drank in the sight of her as she was greeted by Quatre and the others. Her hair was pulled up in their two braids, the rest was in loose curls. She wore a white cotton top that showed off her midriff and a long blue skirt that went down to her ankles, where she wore sandals.

"Hello, Quatre," her melodic voice greeted, while returning the hug.

He stayed in the shadows while she in turn greeted Duo, who picked her up and turned her around in several circles before releasing her, Trowa, who gave her a small hug, and Wufei, who bowed respectfully to her.

Then as her eyes turned eerily towards him, he stepped from the shadows, surprising her and everyone else by pulling her into his arms and kissing her. The pilots quickly moved from the room as soon as they recovered from their shock.

~ Take every chance you dare
I'll still be there you come back down ~

Relena looked up at Heero, her eyes wide. Heero not only kissed her, he was actually smiling at her. "Heero?"

"Shh," he whispered, placing a finger over her lips. "I know that we have been apart for a long time, but I wanted you to know that I still love you."

Relena smiled softly, the same smile that Heero had seen through the TV, sending his heart racing. But it was her words that made him feel like the luckiest man in the world.

"And I still love you, Heero. I have waited so long for you Heero, but I would continue to wait if that is what you wish."

"No," Heero whispered, tucking a finger under her chin, kissing her lips briefly. "It is time to come home." Then he kissed her again, this time letting her feel all of his love he held for her since the moment he opened his eyes and first saw her. One thought went through his head.

Mission Accomplished.

~ When you come back down ~