Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Wilderness ❯ Fianlly, Somthing I'm good At... Or not. ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Wilderness
By Dentelle_Noir
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing, duh. Don't you find this as redundant as I? I hope so.
 
Warning: Eventual yaoi. Man bashing.
 
NOTE: I'm giving Wilderness a bit of a re-haul and edit! Mostly from the middle on arethe larger changes, but the earlier chapters have more format and minor wording changes. Look for new chapters soon, though!
 
Summary: AU. 3x4. Stuck on a Wilderness vacation, Father `toughening him up', a deadly coincidence brings a forest ranger and the trouble following him, into their group. Quatre will have to prove to everyone just what the nancy-boy can do.
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter Three: Finally Something I'm Good at. Or not.
 
Quatre began to pat the sturdy mare he'd ridden to the current spot. That was the only thing he had been able to do right. Hell, he already had enough problems since there was nothing he was good at, except maybe the violin, but that was it. The only reason the drama crowd at school hung out with him was because they felt sorry for him. He had no real friends. He couldn't seem to ever do anything right, everything always just ricocheted back in his face.
 
Beside his sturdy brown mare stood a tall, strong majestic black mare. Just looking at her, though, Quatre had to stifle a laugh.
 
That was the mare Wufei was riding ... well, no, that was the mare Wufei was bouncing all over on. He was flying off the mare's back during the way down the trail. In all his dignified airs, Wufei was practically a rag doll on top if that horse. The poor boy probably could've been very dignified if he could ride even half-properly.
 
Speak of the Devil.
 
From around the massive flanks of the black horse came Wufei, his onyx eyes flashing at the mare, as if trying to intimidate the horse that weighted about two hundred more pounds than he. The boy was dwarfed in the shadow the horse cast, yet aiming his best death glare at the beast. If looks could kill, that horse would be glue.
 
Quatre licked his lips nervously. His father had said he wanted him to make friends with the boy. He desperately wanted his father to be happy. But strangers, especially those who could easily kick his ass just for looking at them wrong, made him rightfully nervous.
 
"You should try to post," Quatre said quietly, his voice more timid than he had wanted, and he wondered if Wufei even heard him. He debated trying again, but what if he had heard him and was just ignoring him?
 
"What is 'post'?" The voice was cold, unamused, but with a hint of sincerity and anger, probably towards the horse, "I noticed even with your puny stature the beast wasn't tossing you around."
 
"Hold on to the horse with your knees, and push up when the horse does. It just means getting into the rhythm of the horse and moving with it, instead of against it. Horses aren't slaves; they're partners." Quatre took the chance and raised his aqua eyes from under his blonde curtain and risked a glance at Wufei.
 
He was calculating the horse, circling it with his hand poised at his chin.
 
With one fluid motion he took the saddle from the nearby post and flopped it onto the mare's back. The saddle blanket puffed out from the sudden force and slightly surprised her, but not enough that she was scared. Watching the beast again, he crouched and fastened the straps under her securely and jumped back as if waiting for her to attack. But, Quatre couldn't help but think that she really didn't even notice all the efforts Wufei was putting into conquering her.
 
Again with the agility of a fighter, Wufei gripped the saddle horn and propped himself up, seating himself atop the beast, feet secured in the stirrups and sitting proudly. To help, Quatre figured he ought to undo the reigns for him.
 
Before anything else could be said, the trail guide came over to the horses with the entire group following close behind and again made sure to get Quatre's saddle on and secure.
 
Quatre realized with horror that the guide centered him out, thinking he couldn't do it; not that he was lucky.
 
They all though he couldn't handle himself.
 
 
 
Set in the slow pace for the mountains and the wilderness all around the riders, one would think the ride would be a pleasant, respectful, enjoyable experience.
 
It wasn't.
 
Well, perhaps some people were enjoying it, but Wufei was not. Give him a rock wall, he could climb it, give him a Class IV rapid, he'd laugh, give him a hike, no problem, but this was hell
 
Bounce. Thud. Bounce. Thud.
 
The stupid horse was still tossing him around like salad and Wufei wouldn't stand for the indignity of it all.
 
Seeing the blonde Winner kid at the front, more melancholy that earlier but riding expertly, he figured it wouldn't hurt to try what he said, right? He called it posting.
 
So sucking up his pride, which took a lot of breath, Wufei squeezed the abused inner leg muscles and began to push himself with the beast. With the first few seconds, he would rather have been jostled by the animal. Posting hurt like hell!
 
But, he would never admit pain, or take the easy way. So, again he worked up the rhythm and tried. He had to give the blonde credit because, obviously, he could take the damn torture like nothing!
 
 
 
 
The main lodge was a fairly large building, seated atop a picturesque hill overlooking green as far as the eye could see, punctured by the surging river known for its length, various rapids and twisting spin-off rivers spanning across the entire valley and beyond. It looked welcoming and open, the large porch framing the entire front, and the spanning roof sinking downwards and far over to shade the large open patios. Around it were clusters of guesthouses, three of four together circling a shared yard.
 
The horses moseyed on the well worn trail coming up on the side of the lodge and revealing the back as a massive corral. Horses of all types inhabited the wooden stalls and a few more men, looking like they worked there, came out from the back door to wave. One continued past the porch and strode out to the group, long silver white hair flying dashingly behind his broad-shouldered, regal build.
 
Otto dismounted quickly and walked with his horse to the man, nodding and conversing as their horses were brought towards the large waiting section. Seconds later, everyone had climbed off the back of their horse, and Otto and the silver haired man strolled over.
 
"Group, this is Milliardo. He's your guide." Otto patted his back companionably, but Milliardo glared at the offending hand.
 
Otto shrunk back, shooting him a nervous apology and then turning to address the group. "Well, it was great training you. You're going to love your trip. Now, I leave Milly here to set you on the track to fun for the whole family!" With that and a tip of his hat, the group said farewell, and Otto set into the lodge. Quatre hadn't failed to notice the lack of capitals this time around and wondered if it had to do with the new trainer or his joy at having the group, and Quatre, off his hands.
 
Milly turned to the group; winning smile in place, "Good-" then a mare huffed and kicked at the ground loudly, silencing his words. "Welco-" another horse nickered, stamping and showing its impatience at being left there doing nothing when the comfy stalls were just ahead.
 
"Well, set up your horses and meet in the mess hall, right through those doors," Milly said over a few noises, but mostly understandable with his voice strained as it was. Then, smiling brightly, he sauntered casually in and stirred up conversation with a few of the women, simpering as they were.
 
Quatre turned to the task at hand, unstrapping his mare and giving her a nice brush down. After all, she really did deserve it.
 
It was easy to untie the straps, considering how tall she was and how less-than-tall he was. But, reaching over and up to grab that saddle was going to be a challenge. Though, he could handle it. Even if no one seemed to think he could, he could. He had ridden for a while now; he could take care of his own saddle. Hell, they weren't that heavy!
 
Grabbing onto the horn and giving the first tug, he looked over and spotted a footstool sitting unused in the corner. Simple answers for simple problems. He grabbed the wooden stool and set it beside his mare.
 
That extra step up put him at the perfect angle to get a good hold of the horn and the other side. He gave it a lift, tilting the thing around mid turn. Then he heard a splinter and a crack. The barn was turning in front of his eyes and he was falling backwards, the saddle still in hand.
 
Like a sack of flour, he hit the dirt, stars spinning and dust covering him, the saddle straddling over his chest. A light chuckle came from beside -- No on top -- No behind-- The world was spinning. Then, he saw three faces, all looking a lot like Wufei smirking, towering over him.
 
The world came back into one picture and he saw it was only one Wufei and one broken footstool lying cracked in pieces at his feet. He couldn't do anything right. Nothing at all. He finally thought he could do something properly and live up to his father's expectations, and look where it got him: laying on the ground, covered in dirt, a saddle splayed over his torso. Just peachy. Now Wufei was going to laugh at him too, and never even speak to him again. Not that he had said much to begin with, he had to note.
 
All he wanted to do was just crawl under the saddle and die, perhaps then his father could find a real son to fill his place.
 
Wufei bent down over the fallen blonde, and gripped the horn. One deft lift and up it came, revealing the entirety of the blonde. He swung the leather contraption over to the post and heaved it down with the rest.
 
Then he did something that surprised the hell out of Quatre. He was expecting a cruel laugh definitely, or some snide comment. He feared Wufei would just give him a good kick in the ribs when he was already down, no one was around to see him, anyway. Who would believe the blonde?
 
But, he did something completely different. He outstretched his hand with a sincere smile and gave him a hand up. He even tried to brush off the worst of the dirt covering the black manly shirt.
 
Ooookay, Quatre had now entered "The Twilight Zone".
 
"Thanks, Wufei." Quatre said shakily, still not exactly sure what was going on.
 
Wufei just shook his head and raised his brows skeptically, "I saw what happened. You have the worst luck this week it seems. It was no problem. If you need some help, just ask. No one is good at everything. You're the expert in the riding and stuff, that posting shit worked. I happen to be good at these sorts of things." Wufei gestured to the outdoor around him as he tied up his horse, Quatre doing the same. They began into the mess hall where they were supposed to meet with their guide together, Wufei still actually speaking to him. "Why are you here anyway? You don't seem to be enjoying yourself."
 
"My dad. We never do things together, ever, and when he said we were going I figured he was ... you know ... Trying. It didn't sound that bad in the brochure, so I jumped at the chance to spend some time with him. Guess that was silly of me. Now, I'm the laughing stock of the group." Okay, since when had he become so open about his feelings and personal life with strangers? He must've really needed to get that off his chest because he just opened his mouth and boom, there it was flying out. Now, Wufei was going to look at him like he was an idiot, and never speak to him again. He was a manly man, his father said; manly men didn't talk about feelings!
 
Wufei smiled slightly, "I know what you mean. My father and I went through that a few years ago, the whole `I have to work' or the `I'd rather be with my friends' stage. It got to the point that I had died my hair bright green, and he didn't notice for two weeks! That's when my mom sent the two of us on the first father-son vacation. I had a karate tournament in Chicago, and we went together, did the tourist thing, you know. It was really weird at first, but now we are on much better terms. Just let these things work themselves out and be open when he is finally ready. That's all you can do, I guess."
 
Quatre was speechless, just digesting Wufei's words. Then, he couldn't help the smile on is own face. Wufei had told him all that about himself, and then he had tried to give him advice. He did understand what was going on. He really understood!
 
Quatre opened the bunk house door first and walked in when the mental picture of Wufei with green hair hit him between the eyes. That flew in the face of all he thought Wufei was, but Quatre was rather excited to have the chance to reevaluate what he thought Wufei was.
 
"Thanks, Wufei."
 
"That's what friends are for, Winner." Wufei stood straight and walked in to the hall, congregating around the group asking Milly odd questions such as `was he married'.
 
As Quatre took at seat away from the mound of simpering females, next to one of the older ladies in the group, Jane she had introduced herself as, Quatre began to gnaw over what Wufei had said. He called him a Friend.
 
Perhaps this vacation didn't suck that bad after all.