Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Words of Engagement ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Dedicated to JupiterSpring, please be sure to check her profile for some fan art and fan fiction soon to come!
 
Disclaimer: All characters copyright of their respective owners. I do not own Gundam Wing/AC, I merely use the characters to bring enjoyment to people. The OC, Renee, in this fic is not mine either, property of JupiterSpring.
 
04+OC, Slight AU, Romance, One-shot - Takes place about 2-3 years after EW, AC199
 
 
Words of Engagement
 
Renee rubbed her temples in counter-clockwise motion. The day had been filled with stacks of paper work almost as tall as she was. When Quatre asked if she would mind spending a week organizing some neglected work, she wasn't expecting this.
 
Sorting the paperwork wasn't just a matter of looking at the title of the document and placing it in a tray or box to be filed; she needed to read through a good portion of the document to understand where it needed to go. Then in came problems of missing pages, incomplete filing numbers, duplicate order numbers, and a complete lack of anything resembling order. It was only day two of five, and Renee knew this could take more than three weeks, rather that the estimated one.
 
Heaving a rather large sigh, she started shuffling papers and began the grind again.
 
As the day dragged on, somehow, she had become the “Go-To-Girl” for everyone's paperwork related problems. Even on the fairly unpopulated floor people were stopping by her office every ten minutes to try and figure out why certain things didn't add up, or why they were receiving errors when trying to submit documentation to the servers. Her answer was always the same, “You need to speak with the IT Systems Manager”.
 
Finally, frustration and irritation lead to her slamming her door and pulling the blinds on the windows leading out to the rest of the building. She needed to focus on the task at hand, not everyone else's problems. If she couldn't focus, this project would take a hell of a lot longer than planned. So much longer, she feared she would need to bail and tell Quatre to find somebody else to finish the job.
 
The thought of Quatre completely derailed her focus. The tall, blonde, aqua-eyed, Arabian man had infiltrated and permeated her thoughts until she could do nothing but think about him. It was very well known that they had been dating for the last two years. He'd softened her war-hardened heart, and somehow weaseled his way into her life. After the Mariemaia Incident he asked her to join him in helping further the resource satellites and his company. Eventually, Quatre expressed his feeling towards Renee during a rather large Winner Corp. ball. They'd been together since.
 
Many people, especially Quatre's personal body guard Rashid, had object loudly when they discovered the relationship. Renee's rap sheet was rather long, most of the charges against her were dropped as she was a decorated solider from the wars, but they forever stained her record. If it hadn't been for Quatre's trust and love for her - she would still be on L2, jobless, and living in that miserable excuse for an apartment. Her heart swelled as she thought of how much he had helped her, and how selflessly he did it. She was, simply put, head over heels in love with the man.
 
A firm knock on the door shattered her reverie.
 
She scowled and managed a very unpleasant voice, “It better be important!”
 
A soft laugh came, and the door opened. Quatre walked in with two large mugs in his hand, a smile on his face, and looking much like a worn and disheveled business man. His light blue button up shirt was slightly wrinkled and the top two buttons were undone. The light blue and gold striped tie he was wearing was hanging loosely around his neck. Quatre's hair seemed slightly lopsided, as if he had his hand in his hair for a good portion of the day.
 
Renee couldn't say she looked much better. Her waist length brown hair had been getting in her way, so it had been rudely shoved into a jaw clip on the back of her head. Her light brown tweed pants had been rolled up to her knees and her dark brown heels hand been kicked off to the black hole that was under her desk. Her tweed jacket was lying discarded in the corner, thrown off in a fit of frustration, and her dark hunter green camisole seemed to be slipping down to the point of almost indecent.
 
Blushing deeply, Renee spoke, “You look like you had a rough day.”
 
Quatre snorted, “And you look like you didn't fair any better.”
 
She smiled and pushed away from her desk, not bothering to put on her shoes or roll down her pants. Quatre had seen her at her worst, and this wasn't even close. She gently took a mug from him, and inhaled the smell deeply. Chai tea.
 
“God, I love you.” She took a sip and followed Quatre to the leather sofa that sat in the corner of her office.
 
Quatre sat on the sofa leaving plenty of room for his partner to join him. Renee scooted to his side, curled her legs under herself, and slipped under Quatre's free arm. They sat there for a while in silence, just enjoying each other, and the rich liquid. Soon though, Renee needed to talk. She wasn't getting anywhere with the task set before her and she needed guidance. No one was better at guidance than Quatre.
 
“Hey Quatre…” She began softly. “I really need some help. I'm stuck on a set of documents.”
 
Quatre eyed up the stacks of papers sitting on Renee's desk, the floor around her desk, and the coffee table that sat in the roomy corner office. She was definitely swamped. He figured it would take all week for her to get through everything, but by the looks of it, it could take significantly longer. Quatre took Renee's mug and set it on the end table next to his. He turned and sat sideways on the sofa, one leg hanging off, and pulled her against his chest to sit between his legs. He unfurled her hair from the painful looking jaw clip, and began to untangle her hair as she spoke.
 
“PO 7158923 is a triplet, but all three documents say three different things… I'm not sure how they need to be handled. I called down to George and he just chewed my ear off, saying I should figure it out myself. Which is fine… but it doesn't help solve a problem I don't know how to handle.”
 
Quatre started to drift out, Renee was distracting to him. Not in the sense of normal distraction like obnoxiousness, but he couldn't focus on anything work related when she was around. They way her hair smelled of almonds and honey, and the way she felt secured against him, he couldn't keep his thoughts straight. The din of her voice had him the most relaxed he'd been in days. For him, the moment was completely perfect.
 
“Quatre Raberba Winner! You haven't heard a word I've said have you?” Renee demanded. Turning slightly she raised her head to be eye level with him.
 
Quatre's ears and neck flushed at being caught. No, he hadn't heard a word she said and he felt guilty. Lost in his own thoughts, he had completely missed everything she had been telling him. He stared into her stunning blue eyes, and he felt himself smile. Everything was just right, perfect. After gently kissing her lips, he rested their foreheads together.
 
“What's wrong, Quatre?” She asked, her eyes sliding closed. She wasn't upset anymore. She couldn't stay mad at him. “You're distracted. It's not like you.”
 
He took a deep, calming breath. Here goes nothing, he thought.
 
“I remember when I first met you.” He smiled slightly. “You were ready for a fight and ready to take down anyone in your way. You practically bit my head off, calling me a `whipping boy' when I expressed my political views to you.
 
“No one has confused me more than you have. I didn't understand you, so I wanted to be around you more. As we spent time together… I saw who you were. Just a teenager, stuck in the middle of the war, much like I was. “
 
Renee interrupted. “If I recall, Mr. Winner, you were not just some teen stuck in the middle of a war. You were the heir to the Winner Corporation. I'm still pissed you didn't tell me sooner.”
 
Quatre just laughed and hugged her tighter to him, resting his cheek against the side of her face. “And what would you have said? `A spoiled brat's no good in the war!'”
 
“Probably…” Renee grumbled.
 
“I wanted you to see me for who I was, not what I would eventually become.” He kissed her neck and ran his hands up and down her arms. She shivered. “I wanted to impress you without my social standing. You… you make me feel so alive, and so much more than my job makes me out to be. I'm not just some rich kid trying to fill Daddy's shoes to you…”
 
Renee agreed. She knew who he was, inside and out, and he was not just a `Rich kid trying to fill Daddy's shoes'. He was stronger than he let on, able to lift her over his shoulder using only one arm. He was sensitive and passionate, but stern, forceful and a down right badass when push came to shove. He was also a strategic mastermind - she had never met anyone more intelligent in her life. No, Quatre was not trying to fill Daddy's shoes… Quatre was trying to fill his own.
 
Quatre kissed her neck again, and stood from the sofa. “I wanted to ask you something. It's pretty important actually…”
 
Confused at the change in events, Renee sat right, getting ready to stand and head to her desk to do whatever Quatre would ask her. When she started to stand, Quatre held up is hand to keep her sitting. Thrown even further in confusion, she wondered what in the hell he was doing. She thought he had something important for her to do, so why was he just standing there?
 
Quatre inhaled deeply. This was it, what he had hesitated for weeks on. His stomach knotted itself, and he clenched and unclenched his teeth. Taking a step closer to Renee, he kneeled in front of her and took her hands. He prayed with his heart and soul.
 
“Nay… in the last few years, I've become a different person…” Quatre paused, and Renee's heart fell to her feet, and panic started to creep into her veins. No. What was he telling her? What was he trying to say? Where would she go?
 
“I phrased that incorrectly…” Stumbling over his words he flushed. “Because of you I've become a better person. I've been thinking a lot lately… about us and our futures. And… the more I thought… the more I felt… I feel I never want to be apart from you.”
 
When Quatre looked at her, Renee's panic disappeared. His eyes were so full of love and devotion that it was impossible to ignore. Reaching around to his back pocket, Quatre pulled out a small, slim box. Instantaneously, Renee's fingers flew up to cover her mouth in shock. She continued to watch and Quatre thumbed the box. His hands were shaking, she noticed.
 
“Quatre…” she breathed.
 
“Renee… I love you. I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you. I can't envision life without you by my side. Will… will you marry me?” He finished in a whisper.
 
Opening the small box he held in out for Renee to see. The ring was beyond beautiful. Celtic knotwork and diamonds made up the gold band, and an oval faceted opal sat between the two ends of the knotwork completing the band. It sparkled and glittered but was very understated, the ring was perfection. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she locked eyes with Quatre again.
 
“Yes…” She whispered. Smiling from ear to ear she said it again louder. “Yes! Yes I will marry you!”
 
Quatre's face split open into a beaming smile, and tears began to trace their way down his face. With shaking hands he plucked the ring from the box and placed it on Renee's left ring finger. Before he knew what was happening they were both on the floor, crying, and unable to keep their hands off one another. Renee managed to straddle Quatre's hips. She leaned in close to him, her lips just brushing his.
 
“Are you sure?” She whispered, afraid of the answer she might get.
 
“More sure than I've been about anything in my life.” And with that Quatre placed his hand on the back of her neck and pulled her in for a kiss filled with as much passion and emotion as he could manage.
 
 
 
Fin