Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Xenophobic ❯ Xenophobic - Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Title: Xenophobic
Author: hostilecrayon
Pairing: 1=2, 3=4
Rating: PG (For now)
Warnings: AU with canon parallels
Disclaimer: I own… the Pepsi I'm drinking?
Notes: Ah, the first chapter. This was surprisingly easy for me to write. For some reason, it just came to me so easily. See what a three month writer's block can do for you? I'm catching up, heh. I hope you all enjoy, and happy holidays, everyone.
 
 
Xenophobic - Chapter 1
 
“You sure you don't want to hit up that party tonight, Duo? I heard Dorothy is going to be there, and I'm just itching to see her drunk.” Hilde Schbeiker pushed her bag higher on her shoulder to keep it from sliding off her shoulder and she grinned, her eyes glowing with mischief.
 
Naw, I'll just have to miss out on THAT fun,” he quipped. “I'm working on my term paper.”
 
“Can't you do it tomorrow? It's bound to be the party of the century, you know.” She gave him a serious look, but the effect was ruined by the tiny grin she just couldn't seem to hide.
 
Duo rolled his eyes. “You say that about every party. And I will be doing it tomorrow. And tonight. And probably everyday until the deadline.”
 
Hilde groaned dramatically. “When is the deadline again?”
 
“A week. But then, you knew that because you've been working on your term paper too, right?” Duo looked at her out of the corner of his eyes and raised an eyebrow expectantly.
 
She smiled sheepishly and ducked her head. “Well, I have my theory pretty much figured out… I'll probably knock most of it out tomorrow.”
 
“With that hangover?”
 
She hit him lightly on the arm. “I just can't understand how someone as disorganized as you could be such a perfectionist when it comes to schoolwork.”
 
Duo shrugged. “It's important to me, that's all.” His fingers absent-mindedly tugged at the chain around his neck.
 
“Weirdo. Are we meeting at Kelby's for lunch?”
 
“Yeah, Quatre will be there, too.”
 
“Cool. I'll swing by his Astronomy class after painting.”
 
“See ya then.”
 
Hilde turned down the path to the Liberal Arts building and Duo waved as he continued on his way to the boys' dormitory. As he walked, he made sure to take in the scenery of lush trees and fluffy green grass. Though it was something he saw everyday now, he never grew tired of it. The stone paths were colorful with different sized stones to give them a unique, natural look that somehow seemed perfectly matched with the giant, modern buildings. The sandy colored walls gave the campus a bright feel, yet the unique shapes and sculptures gave them a certain flair. The Earth Sphere Unified Nation University, or ESUNU, was one of the most coveted campuses for a reason. Only the best - and usually the richest - ever set foot in a classroom there.
 
Duo made it a point to appreciate the opportunity. Earth was such a beautiful place. He couldn't, for the life of him, figure out why so many people took that for granted.
 
“Hey Tro.” He tossed his bag down on his unmade bed and immediately started digging through it.
 
Trowa Barton nodded hello to his roommate, a slight, almost imperceptible motion to anyone who didn't know him. “Were you assigned a freshman?”
 
“Crap, I forgot all about that! When is it again?”
 
“Monday night.”
 
“Damn it. They couldn't have picked a worse week, could they?” Duo sighed. “But no, seniors have the choice to refuse a freshman if it interferes with our final project.”
 
Trowa raised an eyebrow. “Does it?”
 
“Not really. It isn't due until the end of next semester. But it DOES interfere with my term paper, and that's a little more important to me right now than carting an incoming freshman around for a day. I still have to go to the damn ceremony, though. Why the hell do they have so many people starting in the spring, anyway?”
 
“This IS the most popular college in the Earth Sphere.”
 
“I guess. Are you going to Kelby's with us?”
 
“Who's going to be there?”
 
“The usual. Quatre's going to be there too, for once. I swear, there isn't a soul on campus busier than that kid. I don't know how he manages it.”
 
“Kid? He's twenty-five.”
 
“Well, he has a young face.”
 
“So do you.”
 
“And?”
 
“You two are the same age.”
 
“Okay, grandpa. Only someone as old as you would keep score.”
 
“Twenty-six is old now, is it? I'll be sure to pass down my old walker to you next year.”
 
“Thanks pal. You're a real friend.” Duo grinned, setting up his laptop and various notebooks and folders so he could work on his paper.
 
“Anytime,” Trowa grinned. “I could probably meet you guys for lunch. My next class gets out at 12:30.”
 
“That's just about perfect. It seems the general consensus is one o'clock, so you'll be right on time.”
 
“Alright. I'll see you then.” As Trowa slinked away to his next class, Duo took in the silence and began to write. Maybe he'd feel better about the fourth revision.
 
---
 
Heero Yuy checked his watch for the seventh time that hour. If the taxi didn't arrive soon, he'd miss the shuttle. He ran through his mental checklist again to make sure he didn't forget anything while waiting impatiently on the sidewalk in front of his apartments. He couldn't believe they were twenty minutes late. He swore to never use Red Flag Taxi Service ever again. But then, if things panned out, in a month he wouldn't have to worry about the taxi service. Or anything on L1, for that matter.
 
It was something he was greatly looking forward to.
 
When the taxi finally pulled up - twenty-three and a half minutes late, by Heero's watch - he ran his fingers irritatedly through his hair and pulled open the back door almost before it had fully stopped.
 
“Would you like to put your bag in the trunk, sir?” The greasy looking kid no older than his own twenty-five years asked with poorly faked politeness.
 
Heero's blue eyes narrowed as he slammed the door shut. “No. I'd like you to get me to the Chesterfield Shuttle Port with enough time left to check in.”
 
“When does your flight leave?”
 
“Thirty-five minutes.”
 
“Geeze, dude. That's impossible.” The fake politeness melted away and was replaced by a look of disbelief.
 
“It wouldn't have been if you had been on time, and it won't be if you stop talking and start driving. Think you can handle that?”
 
The kid said nothing as he sped off, barely remembering to refasten his seatbelt.
 
Heero made it there with five minutes to spare. He scowled as he shoved money into the kid's hand and ran through the automatic doors and down the terminal. He chucked his bag onto the conveyer belt and shoved his ticket in the security guards' face, slid through the metal detector only to grab the strap of his bag and take off running again. The twenty-four hour non-stop flight only came once every two days, and he'd be damned if he'd miss his counseling appointment. It was his last chance to get into ESUNU next semester, and the sooner he could start, the better.
 
Down the terminal, he could hear the last call for boarding and he kicked into double time, sliding to a halt in front of the woman just as she was closing the doors. Slightly out of breath, he just held up his boarding pass and didn't wait to hear what she had to say before pushing the door back open and entering the shuttle.
 
It was a considerably sized space craft, and typical of the time of year, the bland, brown seats were full of people traveling to see family and friends. The entirety of the interior was distastefully dingy, giving the large space a small and dirty feel to it. He sighed heavily when the sound of a wailing child pierced his ears. When he grabbed the only remaining seat next to the four year old making the noise, he rubbed his temples.
 
It was going to be a long trip.
 
---
 
Duo strolled into Kelby's at one ten, fashionably late as usual. He spied the crowd in the corner; Hilde sipping a coke and talking to Relena, Millardo, Relena's brother better known as Zechs playing pool with Trowa while Lucrezia, known as Noin, watched, and Wufei listening intently to something Quatre was telling him. Steam wafted from the fresh pizzas along the few tables pushed together to make their usual spot.
 
“Hey,” Duo grinned, dropping his bag into an empty seat and grabbing the chair next to Quatre. “How's it hanging?” Most of the group nodded or grunted their acknowledgement, while Hilde saluted him, Relena said a polite hello, and Quatre turned and gave him a loose hug.
 
“I'm really glad I could make it this time,” Quatre Winner said, running a hand through his honey golden hair. “I've just been so busy lately learning all the ins and outs of my father's business on top of school.”
 
“You should tell him to lighten up a bit, Quat. It's the holidays, after all.”
 
“There's nothing wrong with learning what his responsibilities are,” Wufei said quietly.
 
“Maybe YOU should lighten up, `Fei. Always so serious.” Duo grinned at him, though Wufei paid him no mind.
 
“I don't really mind, Duo. I mean, it's a lot of work, but it's really better if I learn it now. I'm hoping to be able to give my father a break next summer, but I have to learn the ropes quickly if I'm going to do that.”
 
“Always the thoughtful one, Quat.” Duo slapped him lightly on the back. “That's why I always come to you for advice.”
 
Quatre flushed slightly at the praise, throwing off the nonchalance he was going for with his shrug. “I do what I can.”
 
“Hey Duo!” Hilde called down the row of tables, and Duo looked at Quatre helplessly.
 
He covered his mouth and whispered conspiratorially, “Women. I better go before she comes over here. I'll throw myself to the wolves to save you.”
 
They grinned at each other and Quatre nudged him and said, “Good looking out, Duo.” Wufei just rolled his eyes.
 
Duo left his stuff and headed down the tables to sit across from Hilde and Relena. “Yo sis, your highness,” He saluted Hilde and inclined his head to Relena. Hilde smirked at the pet name and Relena frowned a little at the title.
 
“I really wish you wouldn't call me that, Duo. I've told you before, the Peacecraft legacy is little more than a memory now.” Relena Peacecraft, or Relena Darlian as she liked to be called, tucked a strand of her dark blonde hair behind one ear, clearly embarrassed by the way Duo singled her out, but too much of a politician to really let it show.
 
Quick to forgive, she smoothly switched to another topic as if the one before it never existed. “Are you ready for finals?”
 
“Yeah, pretty much. I'm still not quite satisfied with my term paper, though. I'd feel a bit more confident about my finals if I could stop worrying over this paper and start some actual studying.”
 
“Haven't you written that paper seven times now?” Hilde pitched in, rolling her eyes at Duo's excessive attitude towards his studies.
 
“Four, though it might end up going through seven more if I don't manage to shake this feeling that it's not quite right.” Duo ran his fingers through his bangs; the only outward sign of his annoyance.
 
Relena cocked her head slightly in interest. “Which class? Is it a flow problem or are you worried about the actual content? I did well in Literature, so if you need someone to proofread what you have, I'd be happy to do it.”
 
Duo waved her off. “No no, I'll be alright. I just feel like there's something missing. It's for my Behavioral Psych class. I'm writing about the drive behind emotions and what creates them. It's something I've always had a theory on, so I didn't think it would be a problem, but…”
 
Hilde just shook her head. “Duo, you write brilliantly. I'm sure your theory is as well thought-out as it could be. Give it a rest, will ya? You give Quatre a hard time, but you're almost as bad as he is.” She cocked her head to the side and rubbed at her chin as if deep in thought. “Actually, now that I think of it… you're worse. Yeah, definitely worse.”
 
Duo threw a napkin at her, but it fell just short of its goal, floating haphazardly to the table just in front of her. She shot him a smug look and used the napkin to wipe some of the pizza grease from her fingers. “Why thank you, Duo. You're so kind.”
 
“Anyways,” he said to Relena, ignoring Hilde entirely, “I think it will be okay. Maybe another revision will settle my doubts about it.” Though the one that morning hadn't; he didn't feel the need to bring that to their attention. “What did you call me over here for, anyway?”
 
“Oh, nothing. You so rudely ignored us on your way in, so I thought I would get your attention for a moment before you resume your hibernation.”
 
“Whatever.” He grabbed a slice of cheese pizza and took a large bite, making his way over to the pool table. From the looks of things, Trowa was winning by a small margin, and Duo leaned against the wall next to Noin to partake in the show.
 
Lucrezia Noin stood with her arms folded, her eyes focused intently on the shot that Zechs was about to take. Before he even took the shot, she sighed and looked over at Duo. “He's a hair too far to the right. He'll scratch.” Sure enough, not two seconds later, Zechs swore mildly to himself as the cue ball fell into the left pocket.
 
Duo grinned. Noin's geometry was flawless. “Nice shot, Millardo.” Zechs' eyes narrowed in annoyance at the name, but he merely stepped back to observe his opponent getting in position for his shot. He turned back to Noin. “So how's life been treatin' ya?”
 
“Same as usual. You?”
 
“I can't really complain.” He folded his legs and settled into the wall a bit more. “I opted to get out of the Freshman babysitting, so despite wasting my Monday evening, I'll still have my Tuesday relatively free for a cram session.”
 
“Lucky you,” she smiled ruefully. “Because so many of you seniors take the easy way out, all of us Juniors have one.”
 
“I can't wait to see how bad Millardo scares his.” Duo chuckled at the thought. Images of a poor freshman getting a lecture on fine art and wine came unbidden to mind.
 
“Duo,” Noin gently admonished him, “must you call him that? You know he hates it.”
 
He smirked at her. “I know, that's why I do it.”
 
She shook her head and made a motion with her hands as if telling some deity it was out of her hands. “What am I going to do with you?”
 
“You could spank me if you really want to, but I can't promise I won't like it.” Duo winked at her, mischief playing on his lips.
 
She laughed. “You're hopeless, you know that?”
 
“I think I've been told that once or twice.” He snickered, looking back to the game just in time to see Trowa sink the eight ball. “Nice, Tro. It's good to know that there's SOMETHING Millardo can be bested at.” A smirk danced across his lips. “I could think of a couple other things I could probably best him at, but they aren't suitable for the public.”
 
“Maxwell, could you be any more crude?” Zechs glared at him, distaste written across his features.
 
It only made Duo smile more. “Why yes, yes I could.”
 
“Duo, leave him alone before one of you kills the other. It's hard to play pool in a puddle of blood,” Trowa said seriously, but the twitch at the corner of his mouth contradicted his tone. Amusement danced in his green eyes and Duo winked at him.
 
“I hate to be the one to break up the fun,” Quatre said, “but it's about time I left. I have to meet my Father at two-thirty in the office.”
 
“Already, Q? Don't you get any time to yourself?”
 
“I've been here for forty-five minutes. It's not my fault that you're always late.” Quatre smiled apologetically at Duo and shouldered his bag. “You're going to be at the Christmas Celebration, right? You're invited. Everyone here is, for that matter.”
 
“Christmas is in over two weeks! I'm hoping I'll see you again before that, at least,” Duo scoffed. “But yeah, I'll be there.”
 
Quatre smiled and turned to leave when Duo remembered something. “Oh yeah, did you get a freshman?”
 
“No, I'm a sophomore, remember? No freshmen for me.”
 
“Oh, that's right. I always forget.” Duo grinned maliciously. “Maybe we should throw a party. You know, for those of us who didn't get freshmen.” Hilde practically growled at him from her spot behind the table.
 
Quatre smirked. “Maybe.” He waved to the group. “See you guys later.”
 
Wufei stood. “I also should go. I have class in an hour.”
 
“So are we calling it a day then?” Duo asked the group at large. After some positive responses, he grabbed his bag. “Alright then, I'll catch you guys later. I should get back to my term paper. I can hear it calling my name all the way from here.” After a few goodbyes, Duo headed on his way. Fifth time's the charm, or so he hoped.
 
---
 
The second the intercom announced that passengers could retire to their cabins, Heero had to suppress the urge to run. He pulled his bag from the overhead compartment and walked at a steadily increasing pace to cabin 121, sliding into what looked more like a closet than a cabin. Frustrated, he shoved his bag under the small cot protruding from the wall and sat on it; his head in his hands.
 
He told himself he could hole up in his little closet for twenty-three hours without going crazy. It was only twenty-three hours. He'd been confined to smaller spaces for longer periods of time before. For ESUNU, he could do this, easily.
 
He lifted his head wearily and took in his surroundings. There was a slight walkway between the cot and the wall, and in the corner stuffed precariously between the two was a small desk closely resembling something from a broke down high school in the poor section of L1. There was no bathroom, or even a sink for that matter. There was some sort of communal bathroom and shower down the hall, but he was hoping that he might be able to refrain from using it if possible. If the little wall cot wasn't in the way, he could have lay down and been able to touch both walls at the same time without even fully extending his arms. He was loathe to see what the double rooms looked like. In that moment, he was grateful he had paid the extra cost for the single. He couldn't imagine having a stranger that far inside his personal space.
 
He sighed, sliding his bag out from underneath the bed and retrieving his laptop. He hadn't opted to pay the extra for internet services, and he was sorely regretting it now. At the time, he imagined the hundred credits were better spent elsewhere, but now he figured his sanity was a little more important than cutting corners.
 
Frowning, he opened one of his e-books and took to studying. There wasn't much else he could do.
 
But he was getting off L1. If he could just get into ESUNU, he'd never have to go back there. He could even dip into his savings to have his stuff packed and shipped to him. It sounded appealing, and a part of his mind entertained the idea while the rest continued reading.
 
---
 
Duo knocked quietly on the door to the Director of Psychology's office, paper in hand.
 
“Come on in.”
 
Duo pushed the door open and saluted. “Good Afternoon, G.”
 
Dr. Scott Gardner smiled at his star senior and waved for him to have a seat. “What have you got for me today, Duo?”
 
Duo sprawled out in the chair and tossed his term paper on his desk. “Just thought I would get this out of my life before I revise it for the millionth time.”
 
Dr. Gardner raised an eyebrow, picking the paper up and flipping through it. “It definitely has some weight to it,” He chuckled, making a show of weighing the paper in his hand. “Did you find what you were looking for, then?”
 
“No, not really. I mean, it's fine without it. I just can't help but think it could be better. I'm just not sure how.” He shrugged. “I was going to hang on to it until the deadline, but I realized that I'd never get anything else done if I didn't get rid of it.”
 
Dr. Gardner was quiet for a moment as he read over the first few paragraphs. “Your theory is interesting, Duo. I look forward to reading it.”
 
“Thanks, G. If you have any insight on what I might be missing, be sure to pass the word along, okay?”
 
“I will. Now get out of here. Don't you have finals you should be studying for?”
 
Duo grinned. “I'll catch you later, G.”
 
He got up and walked out of the office, and despite his lack of time, Dr. Gardner adjusted his glasses and started to read.
 
---
 
The flight couldn't have ended sooner, and Heero sighed in relief when it finally docked. It turned out he had to brave the restroom, and it was just as bad as he had thought. He had managed to hold it until the end of the flight, and he tried his hardest to ignore the smell of the dirty diapers overflowing the garbage can. Against his better judgment, he took a shower, reasoning that it would be difficult to impress a councilor in rumbled clothes and a day and a half of funk hovering about him. The level of soap scum and calcium deposits covering the shower area was almost enough to make him risk it, but he endured it long enough to wash quickly.
 
He was all too happy to be walking on earth's soil. It had been more than two years since he was last on Earth, and he didn't realize how much he missed it. Even if the circumstances were less than favorable the last time he had come, he had been no less enchanted by the place. It was then that he had decided that he would rather live in the lowest slum on Earth where things were natural than the richest section of L1 where everything, despite its expense, was completely fake. Even the trees looked more alive on Earth.
 
He hailed a cab, putting his morose thoughts behind him. It was time to look to the future, and he gave the name of the hotel that would be the starting point for the beginning of the rest of his life - a new life where his past had no hand in his future.
 
He asked the cab driver to wait as he quickly checked into his room at the Regal Hotel and parted with his luggage before getting back in the cab and going straight to ESUNU. He knew the time would be close, but he was confident that he'd be on time.
 
Slightly out of breath and with five minutes to spare, he checked in and took a seat on the overly comfortable sofa in the counseling office waiting room. He was slightly nervous and more than a little tired, and he tried to relax by sinking into the fluffy cushions. Before his body could fully relax, he heard his name and almost leapt up, walking briskly to the woman who had called his name.
 
She was blond with dark blue eyes, and much to Heero's surprise, younger than him. Her bright face wasn't one of more than 21 years, if she was even that old. She had a cheerful smile, and her voice was sweet and soothing when she said, “Follow me, please.” Her pleasant demeanor helped to calm his nerves, and he followed her; his confidence firmly in place.
 
“Go ahead and take a seat.” She motioned to a comfortable chair sitting in front of a small desk covered with little knick-knacks; photos, Christmas cards and community service awards were among many of the decorations cluttering her workspace. The entire office has a cluttered feel to it, but somehow, it managed to seem homey at the same time. She sat gracefully in her swivel chair and clicked a few keys on her keyboard, turning the screen slightly so Heero could see as well. His file popped up on screen and she turned to look at him. “It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Yuy. I am Sylvia Noventa, and I will be your councilor for the duration of your stay at ESUNU.”
 
Heero's eyes widened slightly at the name, but he extended his fingers to hers and shook her hand. “Please, call me Heero. Noventa, you said…?”
 
She smiled softly, her grim firm and warm around his hand before she released it. “I know what you're thinking, and yes, I am the granddaughter of Field Marshal Noventa, as he was known publicly.”
 
His gaze wandered across her cluttered desk, and sure enough, his eyes came to lie upon a picture of a man with his hair dusted white and grey in an Alliance uniform hugging a much younger Sylvia in a pink sundress and a goofy grin. He paled slightly. “Your Grandfather was a great man.”
 
With a soft smile, she sighed, “Yes, he was.”
 
Heero found himself at a loss for words.
 
She turned to the computer once again, pointing at something on the screen. “Your high school GPA is quite impressive, as are your SAT scores. I can't help but wonder why you didn't apply for college sooner.”
 
Heero coughed, sitting up a little in his chair. “At the time, I had other things I wished to accomplish.”
 
“I see here that you were enlisted in the Alliance Military not long after you turned eighteen.”
 
“Yes.” As far as he was concerned, he had nothing to say on the matter.
 
Sylvia could see his hesitance, and did not pursue the subject further. “As you may or may not know, it is highly unusual for us to accept students so close to the Freshmen Entry Ceremony. Could you tell me why you want to enter now instead of waiting for the fall registration period? In other words, what brings you to ESUNU now, of all times?”
 
Heero shifted in his seat, thinking over his answer before speaking. “I'm looking for a change. Not something small like a change of work or location, but something bigger… a life change, I guess you could say.”
 
She scrolled down on her computer, looking for something on his application. “It says here that you would like to declare yourself as an English major. Can you tell me a little bit about why you chose this major of all of the ones we offer here at ESUNU?”
 
“Again, it has to do with change. It's different than anything I have ever done - yet it holds a lot of meaning for me. Communication is one of the most important aspects of human culture, and I feel that to learn what drives the creative mind will bring me closer to understanding the dynamics of communication. Unlike Communication Studies, Literature is not only about what people feel needs to be said. It covers needs, but at the same time, it covers wants and hopes and dreams. To me, it represents the fantasies of mankind, and thus, how and what they really think.”
 
“Very thought-provoking answer, Heero.” She typed in a few things on her keyboard before closing the window and facing him once again. “I'm going to make the exception you asked for and allow your enrollment into ESUNU. I will take your requested classes into consideration and, based on availability, arrange a schedule for you, which you will receive with the rest of the freshmen during the ceremony on Monday. It will be in the East Ballroom at six o'clock, and there will be plenty of signs to help you find it. I see that you've decided on off-campus housing. If you need any help locating a residence, let me know and I will help you get in touch with the housing district. Now, do you have any questions for me before you meet the Headmistress?”
 
Heero was nearly ecstatic at the news, but his conscience prevented him from the level of achievement he thought he would feel. After a moment's thought and a whole different kind of nervousness overcoming him, he stood and looked Sylvia directly in the eyes. “Miss Noventa…”
 
“Please, call me Sylvia. I'm much too young for official-sounding titles.” Her warm smile did nothing for the twist in his gut.
 
“Sylvia…” He swallowed, gathering his strength. Though he knew that she would never know if he just didn't say anything, he couldn't stay silent. It just wasn't right. Not even if he lost his hope for ESUNU in the process. “Before you make anything official…”
 
“Yes, Heero? Do you have second thoughts?”
 
“No, it's nothing like that. I… well, you know I served in the Alliance. I served under your Grandfather for a while…”
 
“You knew him personally, then?”
 
Heero's mouth felt dry and he longed for something cold to drink. He wanted to look away, but he knew that Sylvia deserved more than that. “I was directly involved in the accident that took his life.” He did look away then, examining the blue threading on the chair he had just gotten out of. “I'll understand if you want to retract your offer of enrollment.”
 
“Heero.” Her voice was smooth, and though she didn't sound like she was going to throw him out, he didn't want to see the eyes of someone who's Grandfather died at his expense. “Heero,” she said a little louder, “Look at me.”
 
He did then, if only because she had commanded him to. To his surprise, her eyes were not filled with accusations or hatred, but with compassion. “It was an accident.”
 
“It was my fault.” His voice was so filled with self-hatred, it sounded foreign to his ears.
 
“It was no one's fault. It happened, and it has past now. I have come to terms with his death. He died doing what he loved; striving to bring peace to the world. I like to believe that he had a hand in the peace we have finally achieved after all of those years of war and destruction. I know that if he were here today, he would not blame you.”
 
Heero stared at her, stunned.
 
She put a hand on his shoulder and squeezed gently. “You can't blame yourself for things that are so far in the past. It was an accident. Your intentions are good, but you can't go through life blaming yourself for the past. I've come to terms with it, and I hope that someday, you can do the same.” She let her fingers trail across his shoulder in a soothing manner and smiled softly at him. “You want to change your life, right? You won't get very far clinging to the past.” She walked to the door of her office and motioned for him to follow. “Come, you need to meet the Headmistress. And don't worry, I won't tell anyone you were in the military. That's what you meant by a new life, right?”
 
Heero nodded numbly and got up to follow. Sylvia Noventa was greatly unlike anything he had ever expected. He thought that maybe, just maybe he could learn a lot from her.
 
“This is the Headmistresses office,” Sylvia said, stopping in front of two large, oak doors. “Wait here while I announce your arrival.” She raised her hand to knock but hesitated for just a moment to say, “You may find your past is connected here in more ways than one, Heero. Everyone has something in their past they'd like to change. During your stay here at ESUNU, you'd do well to remember that.” Her hand fell heavily against the door.
 
Heero wondered what exactly she meant as she slipped through one of the doors, leaving little chance for him to see inside. She was gone for only a moment, and when she returned, she closed the door behind her. “The Headmistress will see you now. I look forward to seeing you at the ceremony on Monday.” She gave him a meaningful look before she started to walk away. “If you have any problems with your schedule - or any problems at all - come and see me, okay?”
 
“I will,” he replied, and he pulled open the large oak door and stepped inside.
 
The room was lavish with its decoration, but with things like oak bookshelves packed with educational books, the tops of which were lined with old school photos, and awards and recognition covered the walls. It didn't look nearly as cluttered as Sylvia's office, and though there was a vast array of things covering the room, everything looked neat and professional. On the back wall, in front of a large bay window, was a long cherry wood desk covered only with a computer, a phone, and a mail bin filled with paperwork. Two chairs that looked just short of being recliners sat in front of the desk. Heero was aware of his surroundings, as he quickly took them in the moment he'd entered, but none of these features caught his attention.
 
The woman sitting in the enormous swivel chair, however, did.
 
“Colonel Une.”
 
The Headmistress removed her reading glasses, a much slimmer version than the large round ones she had worn during the war, and put them to the side. Her brown hair fell around her shoulders, and after a few clocks of her mouse, she turned her brown eyes to meet his for the first time in over two years. “Heero. It's been quite some time, hasn't it?”
 
He considered saying something not quite polite to her, but Sylvia's words were still fresh in his mind, and instead he replied with, “Yes, it has.”
 
“Let me just start by saying I don't expect you to accept who I am now after our history together. However, that does not change the fact that I am the headmistress of ESUNU, and that isn't likely to change anytime soon.” He nodded. “We all fought for what we believed in, and the end result was peace. Though we were on opposite sides, I truly believe this is the end result we all hoped for. I hope that my presence here will not take from your success here at ESUNU.”
 
Heero had never had a chance to speak with Une outside of battle, and he found that her demeanor was nothing like he had expected. It was almost as if she were an entirely different person than she was during the war, and perhaps she was. Hearing again the words of Sylvia in his mind, he said, “I do not wish to bring my past with me.”
 
“I can understand that. Everyone is running from something. It would be unfair of me to not allow you this chance to start over. After all, it is a chance that I also took.” Her gaze turned meaningful, and Heero felt uncomfortable under the weight of her gaze. “Just remember, no one can run forever. You may find yourself running into that which you are trying to escape.”
 
Heero had no idea what to make of that, other than comparing it to the words he had heard just moments ago, and so he said nothing.
 
“I hope that you find what you're searching for, Heero Yuy. I'll see you at the ceremony. You can go now.”
 
With a short nod, he turned on his heel and walked out. Perhaps it was just his imagination, but he could have sword he felt the weight of Une's gaze through the door and down the hallway.
 
He couldn't get out of the building fast enough.