Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Yin And Yang ❯ Chapter II ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Yin and YangBy Cobalt 27
Summary: AU. 1 equals 2;3 equals 4;5 equals M. Heero has no choice but to move to a new school in the middle of his sophomore year and is in for a few surprises. Between going from being a loner to one of the most popular guys, finding that he’s more comfortable with homosexuality than he thought, and meeting a nymphomaniac who has a deeper side to him Heero realizes he’s in for one hell of a semester.
Warning: Drinking, drugs, smoking, sex, swearing, angst and mature adult themes. Hilde and Catherine are 100 percent OOC but I hope you all like my version of their high school girly-ness.
Disclaimer: I do not own or have any claim to Gundam Wing, its characters, logos or its affiliations; they belong to Bandai and their affiliated companies. I do not own or have claim to bus names, street names, school names, mascots or logos. I do not own or have claim to the high school that appears in this story. I do not own or have claim to the malls, store names or their logos that appear in this story. I do not own or have claim to songs, lyrics, movies and movie characters, actors, singers or bands that appear in this story. I own all original characters that do not appear in any anime/manga owned by Bandai or their affiliated companies.

Chapter II

Heero walked down the hallway, heading toward the locker where Trowa was bent over, placing his afternoon books on the bottom, and his homework in his backpack. It was then Trowa looked up and saw Heero.

It was hard to miss the mysterious boy walking through the crowd of people, as if he had his own personal bubble of space surrounding him. It was as if he was Moses parting the sea, parting the crowd of students who were no smarter than drones feeding off what they are conditioned to do and not instinct. They were parting for a god they didn’t know existed. It was then Trowa realized he admired the silent strength this boy possessed.

It was also then that Quatre came into his line of vision, and he smiled brightly.

Quatre caught up to Heero and nudged him.

“Hey. How was your day, anyway?” Quatre’s pace then matched Heero’s and the two of them continued down the hallway towards Trowa’s locker.

Quatre had his jacket and backpack already, so he was obviously just meeting with Trowa and his friends before he went home. It got Heero wondering what they did after school, but he then realized that he wasn’t involved. Trowa was just being kind and letting him use his locker for the day. On Monday when Heero got to school their lives would be back to the way it was, with Heero not in them.

“It was alright. I have gym with Duo and Wufei.”

Heero wasn’t sure why he mentioned his fourth period to Quatre. In all, it had been quite uneventful. Wufei had said a few words to him, but Duo hadn’t said anything. And that didn’t surprise Heero at all.

“Really? That’s cool. I wish I was in the same grade as some of my friends, sometimes.”

“How did you become friends with them?” Heero was suddenly interested in Quatre’s life. He seemed like a nice enough person, genuinely interested in other people.

“I’ve known Duo forever. We live next to each other. Duo and Trowa went to the same grade school. Wufei and Meilan have known each other forever and are engaged actually. And I met Zechs during grade nine orientation. He was my group leader. I became friends with Relena through him, and then everyone else kinda just fit in. So, we all kinda met through each other.” Quatre waved to Trowa as they approached.

Heero retrieved his belongings and thanked Trowa once again.

“Oh, no problem.” Trowa smiled as he shut his locker door, once again leaning on it.

Heero assumed he was waiting for Duo and Wufei again, as it was what Trowa seemed to do. These four seemed to travel as a pack. It was their strength in numbers that possibly made them as popular as they were.

Cathy, Hilde and Duo approached the three at the locker, Duo and Hilde in rapt conversation and Cathy lagging behind. It appeared to Heero that Duo was always moving his mouth and he wondering if he was actually saying anything.

“Are you coming, too, Heero?” Cathy shifted her backpack as she shifted her weight from her left leg to her right.

Everyone looked at him, and he had no clue what was going on.

“I…er…”

“Of course he’s coming.” Trowa nudged Heero as he pushed himself off the locker and began walking down the hallway. “So, where’s Fei and Mei?”

“With and Dorothy. They said they’d meet us there.” Hilde broke her conversation with Duo and smiled at Heero. “So, you’re coming?”

“Poor, Fei. Stuck with three girls.” Duo sighed as he turned around. “So, Quat…”

“Where are we going, anyway?” Heero leaned in and questioned Trowa as the pack moved down the hallway. Reaching his hands into his pocket he could feel a hard paper grazing his skin.

“The mall. We always go to the mall on Friday.” Quatre turned around and answered Heero’s question.

It seemed that Quatre had the knack for partaking in two or more conversations at once.

“I can’t go.” Heero realized, remembering the detention slip in his pocket as he wrapped his fingers around it, pulling it out for proof. “Lauzon gave me a detention.”

“Are you serious?” Hilde eyed him, unbelieving. “He’s such an ass! What for, anyway?”

Heero shrugged. “He took out his anger on a new student he figured was too intimidated to stand up against him?”

“So, in a nut shell, you told him to fuck off?” Hilde smiled, leaning in closer with anticipation of Heero’s answer.

“No. In a nut shell, I tried to be polite but that pissed him off.” Heero smirked at the irony.

“Figures.” Quatre smirked. “Lauzon really is an ass.”

“Alright, we’ll see you Monday, then?” Trowa nudged Heero’s backpack.

“Monday?”

“Trowa’s locker at lunch,” Quatre dropped back from the conversation he was having with Duo to talk to Heero and Trowa. “It’s just easier that way.”

“So, you still want to hang out with me?” Heero was so unsure of everything. He kept thinking that maybe this was all some sort of joke or dream, that he would wake up tomorrow and once again be a loner…not that he had a problem with it. He actually preferred being left alone but these newfound friendships were something he saw himself getting used to.

“Dir.” Hilde rolled her eyes. “Of course.”

From the tone Hilde took Heero surmised that was the cool way to say duh and shrugged it off. Every group and clique had their own funky slang, and slang was never something Heero liked, so he was sure he would eventually get used to it but never use it. He was always an individual.

[X]-[X]-[X]

Heero turned the key in the lock and pushed open his apartment door. He took off his shoes and hung up his jacket. Taking his backpack with him, he walked into the small bedroom that was now his and sighed heavily. Flopping down on the bed, he closed his eyes as he relaxed away his stress from the chaotic day he had.

He had heard of crazy first days at new schools, but he was completely thrown into pure chaos at its peak. Between the rude chatterbox Duo ignoring him and the kindness of the others, Trowa especially, and new teachers and new surroundings and mounds of homework already, his head was ready to fall off. Yes, he loved adventure, but he was just as content to sit at home and read a book. What he disliked, really, was the routine of every day. Waking up, going to school, coming home to do homework, eating dinner with Odin, taking a shower, then reading and going to bed just to do the same thing the next day became so boring after only a week. So, doing it for years was driving him crazy. He guessed then, he really should be somewhat thankful for the insane day he had because, in all, it was a nice break from the monotony of everyday.

After a few moments of winding down Heero changed into clean clothes, a pair of jeans and a green tank top. Heero took out the remainder of his huge stack of homework, for he tackled a good chunk of it during detention, and finished his History homework.

As it turned out, Trowa was right about Mr. Alec. All Heero needed to do was be himself, a diligent and respectful student and no problems would arise. He did note, though, that Mr. Alec had a different way of teaching than he had ever seen before. If a student went above and beyond, Mr. Alec would reward them with a plus point and if a student displeased him greatly that student would receive a minus point. At the end of the semester Mr. Alec would add and take away the allotted bonus points from the final percentage and that would be the students’ final grade. Even if Duo got one hundred percent at the end of the semester, he would only get eighty percent (unless he somehow got back into Mr. Alec’s good graces and earned himself a whole lot of bonus points). Heero was slightly interested in knowing what Duo did to displease Mr. Alec so greatly that he received twenty minuses on the first day of second semester.

The door opened, and commotion could be heard in the kitchenette.

“Heero?”

“Yeah?”

“I’m home.”

“Are you now? There would have been no way for me to have figured that out if you hadn’t come out and told me. You calling my name didn’t give it away at all. Thank you, Odin.”

It was a rare occurrence that Heero called Odin dad. He called him Odin, though that did nothing to stifle his feelings for his adopted father. There was nothing anyone could say to convince him otherwise that Odin was his father. Odin cared for him and provided for him. Odin loved him and he loved him back, but he wasn’t unrealistic. Odin was his adopted father so Heero still called him by his name.

“So, how was the smart ass’ first day at his new school?”

“Crazy.” Heero finished his last History question and stood off his bed. Exiting his small, square bedroom he walked into the tiny living room where Odin was sitting on the sofa. “The people there are nuts. I’m pretty sure most of the entire student body gets along. Everyone seems to have a lot of friends and the vice-principals are Nazis. Lauzon gave me a detention for being polite…and it’s just so tedious that I’m not even going to get into it right now.”

Odin didn’t press it. He was never one to continue a conversation when Heero didn’t want to. He never pushed Heero into something he didn’t want to do. He always taught Heero to stand up for himself and defend himself physically, emotionally and mentally and to respect others. There had always been a secret understanding between the two and if Heero was done talking, Odin wasn’t going to say another damned thing about the subject.

“How was lunch, though?”

“Nuts, completely nuts. I made a few friends, I guess. We’ll see how it goes. They’re just so…everywhere. There’s obviously a solid relationship between all of them, and they’re very outgoing.”

“Not exactly you’re crowd.”

“No, but Trowa and Quatre are alright enough. Duo, however,” Heero flopped on the couch next to Odin, “I really think he hates me. He never said a single word to me, but he’s the center of attention. Everyone stops for him. I don’t think he liked the fact that other people were talking to me instead of listening to him.”

“So, this means the group of friends you have now is…”

“The popular group, I guess. I don’t know. It’s strange. Yesterday I would have been fine with not having any friends and today, it was nice…for a change.”

“Well,” Odin started, nestling into the couch cushions further, “this change may be good for you. I’d never want you to change who you are, of course, but maybe it’s time for you to open up a little. Who knows, the level of energy of this group may rub off on you, or vice versa. If they’re as crazy as you say they could probably do with a little downtime. And lord knows you are the master of downtime.”

Heero furrowed his brow as he playfully punched Odin’s arm. “I learn from the greatest.”

“I’m not that much of a downer am I? I’ll have you know, before I woke up and realized I was an old man I used to be quite the reckless one. I loved parties in my youth.”

“I was under the impression that you’ve always know you were an old man. What is this ‘realization’ you speak of?” Heero smirked.

“Brat.” Odin reached over and threw his arm around Heero, pulling him toward him in a tight embrace.

[X]-[X]-[X]

“This is your WLZR Laser News! I’m Angie...”

“And I’m Tammy…”

“And this is what’s going down today!” Two chipper voices shouted in unison.

Heero sat in his second period English class and sulked. The announcements at this school, though he had to give them credit for trying to raise the school’s spirit from the dead, were terribly corny.

“Mr. Lauzon would like to remind all students that detentions for today will be in room 202 not 103, and that your guest of honour today will be Mr. Lauzon himself.” Angie’s voice trailed off, and Tammy’s picked up.

“Track tryouts will be held after school today. Those interested are to meet Mr. Faginer in the gym.”

Heero tried to drown out the voices with his own voice in his head. He was silently reading the short story they were given, but trying to make his voice in his head as loud as possible. It really didn’t change in decibel, which only lead to disappointment. This was only the second day he had to suffer through announcements and he was already ready to shove the microphone down someone’s throat.

The bell rang, but that didn’t mean anything. The students of this crazy school were not dismissed by the lunch bell, but by those individuals making the announcements. And, as some people were prone to do, the longwinded Angie and Tammy talked forever.

Heero was a very patient person, however today he seemed to lack it. Gritting his teeth, the announcements finally came to an end and they were dismissed. It was good timing too, because the knuckles that belonged to his slender fingers clenching his English textbook were as white as the pages within. Heero sprung from his seat and left the classroom, heading for his own locker that was in the Drama wing.

To his horror earlier that morning, or to his usual luck he couldn’t say, he had come to learn that Duo’s locker was two to his right. And to his aggravation earlier that morning, Duo still ignored him even when Quatre was telling him to say hello. He was looking forward to lunch for the food aspect, as he was hungry, but he was contemplating skipping it because he didn’t feel like putting up with Duo.

However, he had no choice. As he reached his locker and retrieved his lunch money, he was whisked off toward Trowa’s locker by a very agitated Quatre.

“…The nerve, honestly! I mean, how rude was that? I can’t believe him. He’s normally not this…not this…uh!” Quatre almost snorted in his frustration and Heero had the idea to take a few steps away from the ranting blonde. “He’s my best friend and I’ve put up with a lot of his bullshit but seriously! That was just uncalled for.”

Heero gathered that Quatre was apologizing for Duo’s behaviour that morning, but it really didn’t matter. He wasn’t expecting Duo’s attitude toward him to change over the weekend, though he still didn’t like being ignored completely by the braided brat.

Quatre ranted all the way to Trowa’s locker (which, Heero realized, was a walk made longer by the throngs of people flowing in different directions) about how revolted he was by Duo’s behaviour and it was then that Heero realized something about Quatre. Maybe it was because he was gesturing too wildly, or maybe he was taking too fast or maybe it was just because of what Quatre was saying and how he was saying it but Heero realized that Quatre was effeminate. He realized that Quatre was very effeminate…so effeminate, in fact, that he was sure Quatre was gay.

“So, why don’t you just behave and do a little extra work?” Hilde, with Cathy, was questioning Duo at Trowa’s locker as Heero and Quatre approached.

Trowa smiled at Quatre as he waved, and the lot of them began moving down the hallway. Relena joined them somehow as they walked up the hallway. Heero hadn’t been paying attention and wasn’t sure where she came from, but she was there.

“Maxwell, you are not leaving me stuck in line again today!” Relena placed both hands on her hips as she walked with them.

“Only because Dorothy isn’t here today and she’s not following you around like a lost puppy.” Duo smirked, and Heero wanted to hit him.

“She does not follow me around! She is not a lost puppy. I admire her, she has so much direction–”

“And cleavage, right?”

“Duo, seriously, fuck you.”

Heero really wanted to hit Duo. It wasn’t any of Duo’s business if Relena liked Dorothy, so why was he trying to exploit it? What if Relena didn’t want people to know? With Heero’s past observing experiences at his old school he would understand why Relena would want it kept quite. Heero saw what happened to those individuals who were open about their sexuality and he figured Relena might not be able to withstand some of the physical attacks.

“Oh, shut up Duo.” Quatre scolded.

The banter had continued while Heero pondered and now Quatre was in on it.

“Oh, you’re one to talk Winner. It’s not like you don’t want a massive cock in your ass.”

Heero’s eyes flew open. Maybe his assumption about Quatre’s sexuality was correct. So, that would mean that if all the innuendos’ implications were correct, Relena was homosexual, Quatre was homosexual and Trowa was homosexual (for Heero didn’t forget Duo’s comment about his balls).

“Duo, honestly, do you have to be so vulgar?” Trowa stared daggers at Duo, coming to full height and casting a dark shadow on Duo’s heart shaped face. “I think that’s enough.”

“You’re just defending–”

“That’s right, Duo, I’m defending Quatre. Do you have a problem with that?” Trowa’s dark green eyes glimmered dangerously, as if daring Duo to say another word.

It was then that Relena’s brother Zechs and his girlfriend Noin joined the two along with Wufei and Meilan. The two groups amalgamated into one and heading into the cafeteria once again pushing through the line to get to the front. No one bullied them back this time because Zechs lead the way, and, as Heero noted before, seniority was everything popularity wasn’t. So, for Zechs to have both meant that no one bossed him around. He was the king.

“Treize is having a party at the end of the month, everyone is invited,” Zechs announced as he took a bite out of his pita. “Even the new guy…Heero, right?”

Heero looked up from his salad wrap almost bewildered. Why would a guy he hadn’t met yet invite him to a party?

“Sweet! I love his parties.” Duo smiled, taking a long swig of his diet coca-cola and unceremoniously wiping his mouth with his arm.

“You only love his parties because you get laid,” Hilde teased, sitting across the table from Duo and just out of reach. “Over and over and over and over again.”

“Dir…so what?”

Heero reflected on this. He didn’t have anything against premarital sex, as it was none of his business what went on in other people’s bedrooms, but the tone in which Hilde and Duo used implied, to Heero, that Duo was promiscuous. And last Heero was informed, Duo was only 15.

“Yeah, who was it last time? Mark? Tony? Alberto? Oh, wait…wasn’t it all three at the same time? You’re such a man-whore.” Relena scolded.

“At least I get what I want!”

“Duo, shut up!”

Cathy sighed and put a hand on Relena’s arm. “If you’re worried that we don’t know you’re in love with Dorothy, you have nothing to worry about.”

Relena’s face turned scarlet as she folded her arms across her chest and huffed. Just then the Chinese girl Meilan, who held the art supplies the other day, turned toward Heero and bowed her head, placing her palms together in a gesture of respect as she did so.

“By the way, I’m Meilan. Sorry I didn’t say hello to you the other day…or earlier. Honestly, yesterday I was so busy I didn’t even notice there was anyone out of the ordinary.”

Heero remembered Quatre informing him that Wufei and Meilan were engaged, and he glanced at her ring finger. Sure enough, her ring finger sat in a thick yellow gold band topped with a huge Radiant cut diamond. Meilan caught this and smiled.

“This ring has been in the Chang family for six generations now. Wufei and I have been betrothed since birth. Neither one of us mind, really. We like each other, don’t we?” Meilan turned to Wufei and he gently kissed her cheek. “Our families are going to hold a ceremony after we graduate high school.”

“Well, I’m done. C’mon, Quat.” Duo stood up and tugged on Quatre’s arm.

“I’m not done, Duo.” Quatre took a long swig of his Fruitopia. “And you know what, Duo? It wouldn’t kill you to not scarf down your food in three seconds. I’m surprised you haven’t developed digestive problems yet.”

“Aren’t you sweet?” Duo sat back down. “Worrying about my health and all. Hey Q, less talking and more eating. I’m done.”

“And I’m not. So, shut up for five seconds, okay?” Quatre shook his head and took another bite of his spaghetti and meatballs. “So, Heero, you’re going to the party, right?”

Heero almost spit out his wrap. “Well, I…um, I really don’t know.”

“Aw, don’t tell me you’re straightedge!” Hilde chided from the other side of the bench. “Cuz that would suck, seriously. Straightedge people never have any fun.”

“I…”

“Well,” Trowa cut in, noticing the confused look on Heero’s face. “Let him have time to think, you guys. He doesn’t know us very well. Duo’s the only one here who would throw himself into a new situation like that with people he didn’t know.”

“Because he’d be looking to get laid,” Relena said under her breath, though everyone heard her.

It was then that Heero began to worry again that maybe all of this was a joke or a set up. Was this the plan then, to invite him to a party and leave him stranded or worse? And what was all this straightedge stuff? Heero looked around and, seeing innocent fourteen year old Quatre sitting right next to him, he could not picture these people getting intoxicated out of their minds. But then again, Hilde did mention Duo’s promiscuity which he admitted to. Maybe he had them pegged for the wrong crowd.

Heero contemplated this all lunch break and through all of History. It made him wonder, honestly, what Quatre and Trowa were like outside of school without the ever watchful and scolding eye of authority. He wondered this all the way to the changing rooms in gym class where he stood next to the door changing into his gym pants, refusing to wear shorts in the cold February month. He just took his shirt off when the door was thrown open with such force that it smacked the wall behind it right next to Heero.

“Duo, calm down! It’s not like he’s…” Wufei stopped speaking when he noticed the startled Heero standing very close to the door. “Sorry, Heero. Didn’t realize anyone was standing so close. Duo’s having another hissy fit.”

“It’s okay.” Heero nodded. “I wasn’t standing that close.” Heero’s eyes wandered from Wufei to Duo, who fleetingly looked at him before walking to the other side of the changing room.

It was only a half a second that Duo looked at him, but it was long enough for Heero to realize he was half naked. Even if they were all guys, he still wasn’t wearing his shirt and it made him feel very venerable. He quickly pulled his gym shirt over his shoulders, getting the paranoid feeling of someone watching him. Placing his belongings on a shelf, he made to leave the room when Duo checked him and, opening the door, walked through it without saying a word. Now Heero was infuriated! He made to march after Duo but a hand on his shoulder stopped him. Heero turned around to see Wufei standing at his side.

“Duo’s a spoiled brat. That’s all. Don’t take it personally. I mean, he’s obviously got a deeper side to him but good luck finding it. As far as you’re concerned, he’s just a childish brat.”

“Okay,” Heero nodded as he reached for the door knob. Wufei was kind enough to try and calm him down, but he’d be lying if he told Wufei he wasn’t still ticked off.

“Oh, and about that party, you should go. It might not be as raucous as you think.” And with that Wufei left Heero alone in the change room.

[X]-[X]-[X]

“I’ve been invited to a party,” Heero announced over a plate of meatloaf and mashed potatoes. He looked up at Odin expecting a response. When he received none he continued speaking, “A college party; I might go.”

“Good.” Odin nodded. “I like that you’re making friends, Heero.”

“Yeah, well, now I just need to find a new job.” Heero sprinkled a little more salt on his potatoes and took another bite.

“Wait, college party?” Odin cocked a brow. Last time he checked his son was just making friends. Now he was popular enough to go to a college party? When did this happen? “When is this party, and where is it?”

“Umm…” This was the part Heero wasn’t too keen on telling Odin. “It’s the last Friday of the month at some guy’s house. My, uh, friends know him.” It was kind of weird hearing himself say the word but Heero couldn’t ignore the fact that Trowa and Quatre at least were friendly to him.

“Well, this is you’re one chance to do something crazy, something spontaneous. I order you to go to this party.” Odin smiled mischievously.

“I thought you didn’t want me to change. And besides, I don’t know this guy. I’ve seen movies like this. It never ends well.”

“What are you really afraid of, Heero?”

Heero had thought about this already and had concluded it was just fear of the unknown. He still wasn’t completely comfortable with Trowa’s friends (Duo especially), and didn’t want to be put in a crazy party situation alongside them.

“The unknown,” Heero confessed. “These people, can I really trust them?”

“There’s only one way to find out. Just trust yourself in the process and be yourself.” Odin reached for his glass of water and took a long swig. The only sound was Odin’s sipping and the second hand on the clock echoing throughout the tiny apartment kitchenette. He set it down and began eating once again.

After a long pause Heero spoke, “meaning?”

“That you use your head. Look Heero, you’re fifteen now. I trust you to make your own decisions and be responsible for yourself. I trust you not to get into trouble that you can’t get out of and I trust your judgment of the people you hang out with. Just promise me that you’ll act on your emotions and if it gets uncomfortable you’ll call for a ride no matter what time it is.”

It was times like this when Heero knew that it didn’t matter that they didn’t share the same blood; Odin Lowe was Heero Yuy’s father. It was times like this when Odin expressed his true paternal feelings of worry, trust and respect that Heero didn’t care that he didn’t know his biological parents.

Standing up from the small table Heero washed his dishes and helped clear the table. Placing Odin’s clean plates in the cupboard Heero turned around, leaning on the countertop. He surveyed the small apartment and was once again reminded that it didn’t matter what he possessed materialistically. He was the richest person in the world because he had one person to care about him as much as Odin did. The amazing thing about it was Odin didn’t have to care about Heero. He didn’t have to adopt Heero, but he did. He wasn’t obligated to take an orphan into his home and provide for him when, at times, he was barely making enough money to provide for himself. He didn’t have to sleep on the couch while Heero had his own bedroom. But Odin Lowe did do all these things, just for Heero.

“Dad?” Heero’s voice was soft as he spoke. “Thanks…for everything.”

“Aw, don’t go getting all emotional on me now.” Odin pulled Heero toward him and, wrapping one arm around him, messed up Heero’s hair.

Heero swatted at Odin but the man was taller and had the advantage. Heero was still caught in his embrace. “But, I mean it.”

“I know kiddo.” Odin released Heero with one more ruffle of his chocolate locks and pushed him toward his remaining pile of homework on the couch. Heero smiled and took the few steps toward the couch, grabbed his books and entered his room. Odin sighed as he leaned against the counter. “I know.”

A/N: Aww! Yay! Nice father/son-ness! Anyway, enjoy this installment of yet another chapter that is longer than seven pages. Really, this is a huge improvement for me. And if I thought the last chapter took so damn long to write, wow.