Halo - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Slayer ❯ Avalanche ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
2 - Avalanche

I stepped through the glowing green column that was the teleporter. I was seamlessly teleported to the battlefield ahead. Brigadier Z39 came running over to me.


Z39: “Good to see ya’ son. We’re killing those Reds left and right, it’s all too easy. We’re assaulting with warthogs, ghosts, choppers, and, of course, scorpions.”


Z39 called to seven nearby soldiers, and they hastily made their way over to us.


Z39: “Attention!”


The soldiers stood erect and saluted their CO.


Z39: “I’ve called you over here to follow under Commander C99’s orders. With him, you will go through that tunnel, over the lift, and out the other side. Once you’re through there, I want you to plant this bomb in their main base, make sure no one disarms it, then get the hell out of there.”


Z39 looked over in my direction.


Z39: “Good luck.”


I surveyed the seven troops under my command. They were all officers, not a single brass.


F30: “Let’s go kill some Reds sir! I’m pumped!”


I had never done an assault mission before. From what I read anyone could easily arm a bomb, but it is also very easy to disarm. Once the bomb has been planted soldiers need to guard it until it is almost ready to detonate. The soldiers must at that point either evacuate, or, when the situation is critical, guard the bomb until detonation. It didn’t make me feel comfortable carrying around a bomb. “F30, take this bomb, I want you to follow the route that the brigadier told us, until we reach the base. The rest of us will cover you.”


F30 took the bomb and started on his way. The bomb was heavy, so he moved much slower. We entered the cave and followed the short path until we reached a huge chasm.


E14: “Do we really have to jump over that gap?”


We all stared at it for a moment in utter silence, then, a booming voice took over the COM.


T96: “Step aside sissies, let me get a shot at this.”


T96 ran full speed into the gigantic grav-lift that was set between us, and a bottomless pit. He was catapulted high into the air by the anti-gravitational force exerted on him by the lift. After about two seconds of airtime, he landed unharmed on the other side of the pit.


T96: “There are some Reds over here, and they don’t look like they want to throw a tea party.”


“How many?” I asked.


T96: “Two I think I can take them.”


An explosion was heard, and T96’s limp body flew over the edge of the chasm.


U86: “Looks like they’ve got rockets. What should we do sir?”


I looked over at the other side. They were coming to us. “Take them out!” I shouted. We unloaded a barrage of bullets at the two Red figures in mid-air. The rounds ripped through them and their bodies fell into the chasm below. I looked up at the lift. “We’re all going over at the same time,” I told them, “let’s go!” We all ran into the lift and drifted through the air. There was a feeling of vertigo for the few seconds we were in the air. It was like the world was spinning around me. Those two seconds in the air lasted for what seemed more like a minute before we touched down on the other side.


F90: “C’mon, let’s plant this thing.”


E14: “One Red coming in from the right. He’s got a beam rifle.”


The Red soldier threw a plasma grenade in our general direction, probably hoping that it would stick one of us.


E14: “Damn it! He stuck me!”


E14 threw himself off of the platform we were standing on, and was engulfed by a blue cloud of plasma. He knew that the plasma would have gotten some of us as well. I turned around to see N87 kill the Red with his shotgun.


N87: “I got him sir.”


“Good.” I replied, “Now let’s move up.” I had lost two men. That put our force at six, which included me, to infiltrate the Red base and plant the bomb. “No problem,” I thought, “so as long as there are no complications.” I focused back to the situation at hand. “N87, take point. Everyone form a line behind him. F90, I want you in the back.” We all formed a single file line and moved into the harsh icy wasteland outside.


N87: “Commander look! Two invises and one over shield!”


I looked back at F90. “F90, you and me are getting those invisibilities, Z40 will get the over shields.”


F90: “Yes sir!”


Z40: “Acknowledged.”


“The rest of you spread out.” We moved around our location and surveyed the area.


N87: “It looks like we’re on a cliff.”


We were on a cliff, which could either be very bad or very good depending on our circumstances. If the enemy knew we were here, they could just nade us until we were all obliterated. If they didn’t know we were here, we could launch a surprise ambush on them, catching them off guard. I glanced over to my left, and saw a small icy path leading to the base. “N87, do they know we’re here?” N87 looked over the cliff edge.


N87: “Doesn’t look like it sir, no.”


I had though up a great plan in my head that had around a twenty-two percent chance of working out. It was the best one I had though, and the others weren’t any better. “I got a plan, but it has a very slim chance of working. N87, do you see any vehicles?”


N87: “Yes sir. They’ve got four ghosts, three choppers, and three wraiths on the ground. In the air, they have fifteen hornets and nine banshees.”


“Are they within range of attacking us?” I asked.


N87: “One chopper and one hornet are staying at the base.”


I looked back at the rest of my soldiers. One of them had a rocket launcher. “Z40, how many rockets do you currently have?” I asked.


Z40: “Three sir. Why? Do you need me to use them?”


“Yes,” I replied, “On that hornet and that chopper.” I pointed at the enemy vehicles, “But only on my signal, got it?”


Z40: “Acknowledged.”


“F90, you and me are going over that path while we’re invisible, and we’ll plant the bomb.”


F90: “Finally! Some action!”


“The rest of you will lay down suppressive fire one the Reds out in the ice fields so that our comrades can advance.” I ordered, “Everyone got that?”


All: “Sir, yes sir!”


“Good.” I replied. I switched my COM over to Z39. “Z39, can you hear me?”


Z39: “Loud and clear son. How’s your mission?”


“I’m going to have my guys lay down some suppressive fire so you can move your troops and your vehicles up.” I said, “You should probably start now.”


Z39: “Sure, just make sure to take out those pesky anti-armor troops.”


“Will do sir.” I replied, “C99 out.” I switched my COM back to my small task group. “Let’s go guys!” Z40 sprinted to the cliff edge, followed closely by the other soldiers, and shot at the hornet.


Z40: “That hornet just lost it’s wings! Critical hit, right rotor!”


I motioned to F90, “Let’s get to the base.” We ran over the icy path and ended up on the edge of the base. No enemies yet. “Let’s plant that bomb.” I said. We darted toward our target, the platform just ahead that would take us directly into the heart of the base.


N87: “The Brigadiers vehicles are in position and we’re still lighting them up.”


That was good. No one knew we were here. They would all be concentrating on the vehicles outside. We reached the platform and turned left. There it was, the middle of the base. It was eerily empty from all of the soldiers being outside. F90 moved to the center of the room.


F90: “Let me just set this and, there. It’s armed, we got twenty-five seconds.”


The Reds had to know we were here now. Once a bomb is planted it gives off its position on the HUD.


F90: “Ten seconds, I think we should start running now.”


I looked over to the bomb. On my HUD, I saw an ‘8’ above it that quickly turned to a ‘7’. “Yeah, let’s get the hell out of here!” We ran up to the platform where we had entered from; there was a lift over on it that would take us out of the base. There was, however, a compilcation; three Red soldiers coming in from the same platform.


Five seconds left…


I punched one, draining his shields, then fired a burst a battle rifle rounds into his face.


Four seconds left…


I looked over at F90. He had a shotgun, and he used it to kill one of the Reds.


Three seconds left…


The last one looked back at us and threw a plasma grenade.


Two seconds left…


I shot the plasma grenade in the air and it exploded with tremendous force.


One second left…


The blast propelled me and F90 into the lift, and we were shot like rag dolls into the air. I was spinning out of control, so I tried to still myself. I glanced at the base just in time to see a brilliant flash of light, then, a few seconds after, a crumbled icy base.


All of this had made me forget that I was in the air, however, and I landed head first into a mountain of snow. A few soldiers pulled me out and looked me over. Brigadier Z39 walked over to me.


Z39: “I couldn’t have done any better myself C99.”


I looked back at the crumbled base again. I had led seven men to assault, infiltrate, and plant a bomb in an enemy base. Thanks to me the Blues had their victory, we had taken back Avalanche.