Halo - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Slayer ❯ The Rookie ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 3 – The Rookie

W41: “Found one. I’m throwing a frag to distract him.”


I saw the frag fly through the air and land in the “long hall”. A few seconds later it detonated, followed by a faint voice saying “WTF!”


W41: “I got his shields down with that one. N36 finish him off with your shotgun.”


N36: “I’m on it.”


I saw the shimmer of a camouflaged Spartan directly in front of me. N36 moved toward where I had heard the grenade explode only a few moments earlier.


N36: “It’s an ambush! They’ve got rockets!”


He ran out of the hall, camouflage fading. I got up from my crouched position and ran for dear life. A rocket impacted the wall directly to my left, and I was thrown to the opposite direction.


Q11: “Are you okay N28!?”


The force had barely taken down my shields.


W41: “He’s reloading; I’ll try to hit him with my sniper.”


I heard two sniper rounds only about one second apart from one another.


W41: “The first shot missed, but the second got his chest. Q11, sir, would you like to take this one?”


Q11: “Gladly.”


Q11 moved toward the soldier with the rockets.


Q11: “How do you like this!?”


He took out dual spikers and fires a spray of razor sharp glowing needles. They pierced through his unshielded armor and paralyzed him with pain. He fell to the ground, dropping a reloaded rocket launcher; Q11 picked it up.


Q11: “Now let’s get to work. I’ll assault from long hall along with N28. W41, N36, I want you two to take the green box.”


I moved behind my commanding officer.


Q11: “You ready for this?”


I nodded to him.


Q11: “Execute maneuver Foxtrot. Let’s show these guys why we own The Pit.”


Q11 ran forward with me right behind him.


N36: “Hostile with an assault rifle.”


I heard brief assault rifle fire.


N36: “Got him.”


W41: “Look out, Sniper!”


There was an exchange of sniper fire, then, silence.


W41: “I took him out.”


Finally I got one in my sights. He had a shotgun and was sitting in a small opening dead ahead. I threw a frag and proceeded for the kill. The frag exploded and I pulled the trigger of my assault rifle.


Q11: “Good one.”


Computer Voice: “Ending training program.”


The area around us started the flash a bluish color. Within seconds we were standing in the “blue room” of the Gold outpost “Guardian”.


Q11: “Come on guys. We have to meet with the Brigadier.”


By Brigadier he meant P10. He had fought hard to receive his position. He probably had seen more combat than any of the soldiers in any army. If he was here, then something very important must have been happening. We walked forward to the end of the hall in front of us. We then made a right, and entered into a crowded room.


Q11: “So, N28, how do you like Squad 28?”


I didn’t want to respond to that question. Q11 was a major, and W41 and N36 were both lieutenants. I, on the other hand, was a fresh recruit. I had absolutely no combat experience in the field. Even my training was minimal. How I got paired up with such a squad was beyond me.


Q11: “I guess you don’t have to answer that if you don’t want to.”


We pushed through the thick crowd trying to get to the other side. I was almost separated from the rest of my squad seeing that everyone wore standard gold armor. Finally, after pressing through what seemed like an overwhelming wave of Gold soldiers, we made it to a small balcony on the outside of the room. Standing there to greet us was none other than P10.


Q11: “P10, sir, squad 28 reporting for duty!”


The Brigadier turned around and began examining us.


P10: “A new recruit?”


His gaze fixed onto me. I got a chill running up my spine. This gaze had seen countless battles and dead soldiers. Just being in P10’s presence was overwhelming; not to even mention the fact that he was an elite. Q11 looked over to me, possibly noticing my uncomforting stature.


Q11: “Yes, he does well in battle.”


P10: “Simulated battle. Nothing can ever prepare a soldier for true combat.”


He broke his gaze from me and turned to Q11.


P10: “Guardian is about to be assaulted, and I don’t think we can stand up to what we must face.”


Q11 began to become more serious.


Q11: “Is it…them?”


P10: “Yes, Pink soldiers.”


Pink soldiers were bad news. One of their regular soldiers could be matched by a highly-elite Gold soldier. Their skill on the battlefield was that of legend. They could take more damage than any normal soldier could ever dream of dealing. We were in a very bad situation if they were actually planning to attack our base.


P10: “All soldiers prep for battle.”


His gaze fixed on our squad.


P10: “I want you guys to board the next pelican out.”


Q11: “What for sir?”


P10: “Blue soldiers recently conquered Avalanche. I want you to give the Blue Brigadier this data.”


P10 handed Q11 a data crystal.


Q11: “Roger sir, but may I ask what is on it?”


P10: “That is none of your business soldier. Now load up onto the pelican. You don’t have much time left.”


Q11: “It will be done sir.”


We turned around and walked toward the exit into the building. The soldiers inside were moving at a frantic pace. They were arming themselves, setting up teleporters and turrets, and doing some last minute target practice. We moved through them all, once again almost becoming split up.


Q11: “The Pelican is about to leave, hustle!”


We dashed full speed toward the Pelican.


W41: “We’re not gonna make it.”


The Pelican turned around, ready for takeoff. We all dived into the Pelican; I barely even got it.


Q11: “I sure hope we can make it in time.”


If we made it in time, the Blues might be able to came and help us to defend Guardian. If not, Guardian would surely be lost. It would be a slaughter. Time was of the essence.