Halo - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Slayer ❯ Enigma ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4 - Enigma
 
I stood in front of the entrance to our base. Most would think it an old, rusted wall in an abandoned warehouse, but I knew otherwise. “It's me guys, let me in.” I waited for a response, and in a few seconds a familiar voice sounded.
 
 
Voice: “Stealth, you're back. I'll open it now.”
 
 
A low electric hum was heard, followed by the wall beginning to move sideways and open. I stepped into this new room, secret door closing behind me. Turning to my right I saw a Spartan in standard green Mark VI armor, D05 “BuckshotBill”.
 
As members of a small independent group of ex-soldiers, we assigned ourselves new service tags and gave ourselves aliases. Buckshot was a former Purple soldier, and was named for his attitude and love of guns. He always kept his signature shotgun in hand, for “unexpected encounters”. Training it at my head, he acknowledged that it was really me. He finally lowered his gun a few seconds afterward.
 
 
Buckshot: “Long time no see, so how did your mission go…?”
 
 
“Success, the Reds have control of the base.” We began to walk out of the room.
 
 
Buckshot: “You know, it gets kinda lonely here sometimes. The only two left here are Fretful and Alicia.”
 
We turned a corner and entered a hall. An announcement sounded on our in-base intercom. It was D00, our leader.
 
D00: “D02, D05, D07, and D08, report to the assembly area. A meeting will be commencing soon.”
 
Buckshot: “Another meeting…!? We've had so many of `em lately. And you just got back too…”
 
 
We went through a door on our right, putting us in the main “storage” area of the warehouse. When D00 first stumbled across it, it was full of random, useless junk. After cleaning up, and gaining our company, he ordered for us to fortify the warehouse. In the end, we had constructed a small, but effective base in the middle of the warehouse.
 
Going up to the entrance, we saw D07, “FretfulJerry”. Fretful was a former Red, and was named for his slight timid nature. He was normally our designated sniper, and used the “Recon” variant of Spartan armor. D00 recommended that he would be good for our group after observing him personally. Fretful's main skill was his mastery of “No-Scoping”, the act of firing a quick sniper round into the head of an enemy at close, or long range without using the scope. As his name suggests he was always anxious or nervous, and any enemy he saw would startle him. This causes him to quickly move the sniper rifle in the general direction of the enemy and fire a quick round to the head. His actual skills at long range sniping, however, are minimal.
 
Fretful: “Hold on, I'll throw you the grav-lift now.”
 
After a slight wait, a small grav-lift landed in front of us. Following Buckshot, I stepped into its area of propulsion and was pushed upwards into the air. After that, we simply fell through a small opening on the top and landed inside. “Shouldn't be too far now.” I said. We navigated the tiny maze that was the base and ended up at the shimmering, blue-coated entrance to the conference room. I took in a deep breath “Here we go.”
 
We walked through the entrance and were teleported to the conference room. Fretful and Alicia stood in attendance, but D00 was nowhere to be found.
 
Alicia: “Welcome.”
 
Fretful: “Hey.”
 
Buckshot: “Sup.”
 
Alicia's gaze turned to me.
 
Alicia: “Was your mission a success?”
 
“Of course it was.” I responded, “Has there ever been a mission I haven't succeeded in…?” Alicia thought for a moment, and then answered my question.
 
Alicia: “Yes, there was one. You were supposed to help Red soldiers take Valhalla back from the Pink army.”
 
“They were PINK soldiers. My failure was acceptable.” I said. “Getting out of there alive was the real miracle…”
 
Alicia: “Well they are merciless, I know that from experience. I'm glad you made it back alive, I would've missed you.”
 
I took advantage of that last response. “As a fellow soldier? Or is it more than just that…?”
 
Alicia: “Fellow soldier of course! Don't misinterpret me…”
 
Alicia, D08, was previously a Pink soldier. The Pink faction had the fastest, strongest, and most well-trained soldiers. Her benefit to the team was obvious. Also, other than me, she was the only Elite in the group. This possibly contributes to how we get along so well.
 
As for the Pink faction, they simply appeared out of nowhere as it seemed. Their purpose was to fight for enjoyment. Eventually, they became feared by the other factions as a growing threat. The Gold and Green factions formed a temporary alliance to defeat the Pinks while they were still a small faction. They failed, however, and now the Pinks sit at the level of the main two factions; Red and Blue.
 
D00: “Sorry to have kept you all waiting.”
 
Everyone turned to face the projection screen. D00, “Enigma” examined us closely in his strange armor. Out of the various combinations of armors I had seen, none were anything like his. This would mark the first time I had ever really seen him.
 
Enigma: “I have called you all together today for one specific reason.
It involves the Reds this time.”
 
If Enigma called ever calls a meeting to discuss the actions of one faction, it usually means a big mission is coming up soon. I readied myself for what he had to say next.
 
Enigma: “The Reds have been doing strange experiments for a while now. I got a little suspicious and left to go observe what they were doing with my own eyes. It seems that they are attempting to make some form of special armor...”
 
Alicia: “What kind of armor…?”
 
Enigma: “It's very strange. I can't really comprehend how it works, but I was able to see how it works.”
 
We all waited intently for his description.
 
Enigma: “They take something that looks like an energy sword and “kill” the victim with it. After a while, their armor becomes coated with a black substance. At this point, they seem to stand back up, once again living.”
 
Buckshot: “A dead man will always be a dead man, there ain't no way they're gonna just get back up and fight again.”
 
Enigma: “True, but after checking the life signs of the soldier in the armor, it came up null.”
 
“Impossible…” I muttered. “Then how are they moving!?”
 
Enigma: “That black coating on their armor is more than just a black layer of paint. Rather, it seems to be that the coating interfaces with their armor. This causes their armor to act on its own, without the need of a soldier to be in it. The most intriguing part, however, is upon reaching the stage where the coating interfaces with the armor, a sharp object that looks like another modified energy sword appears. If this sword kills the user of another suit, the whole process repeats itself. Strange indeed…”
 
Alicia: “So do the Reds have control over the armor?”
 
Enigma: “No, they haven't reached that stage yet. It seems the only thing programmed into the armor is “kill”. That makes it far too dangerous of a project to be allowed to continue. If even a single one of those things breaks containment, we could be looking at a huge outbreak.”
 
Alicia: “So you want all of us to go down there and shut down the project.”
 
Enigma: “Precisely. I need all of you battle-ready as soon as possible. In the armory is a data crystal with all the information you need to get there. I have also approved use of a Spectre for transport to the isolated building they are doing the project on. Leave whenever you all are ready.”
 
His figure faded on the screen, and we all felt the thrill of a new mission.
 
Fretful: “Has he ever assigned a four-man mission before?”
 
“Nope.” I responded, “This will be the first. Let's get to the armory guys.” I turned around and walked toward the teleporter to the armory. I just got back, and I was already being thrust back into another mission. How troublesome…