Halo - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Slayer ❯ CP Supervisor ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 5 – CP Supervisor

Only a few days earlier we had destroyed the Red presence in the CP “Avalanche”. This day, however, we were just finishing cleaning up the mess we made while trying to take it. As the second highest rank Blue there, Z39 left me in charge while he went off to take care of some important business. It was an easy job at least; all I practically did was sit in a small outpost and sleep. I got up and walked to the window to observe what was going on outside. Defenses were being set up, and Warthogs carried troops all across the icy terrain. “Still nothing to do…” I sighed.

As much as I liked free time, it could get dreadfully boring. I walked over to my battle rifle and examined it. Many memories suddenly popped into my mind. The number of battles I had fought in, the enemies I had killed, and even the COs I had fought under. I had a truly great rise to my current rank of “Commander”. My personal COM channel abruptly beeped, immediately shaking all those memories out of my head. I opened up the channel and answered “What’s up?”

Blue: “The defenses are almost completely set up, and the troops have been assigned to their designated areas.”

“And…?” I responded.

Blue: “Sir, a pelican has just landed at our main LZ. The passengers consist of Gold soldiers.”

“I was given no foreknowledge of any Gold soldiers coming here. What do they want?”

Blue: “Sir, most are just diplomats, but I have a small group here that has something to give you.”

“Alright, you know where to send them.” I closed my COM channel. Where had these Yellow soldiers come from? Why were they here of all places? Many questions came to mind, none with any valid answer though. I put down my battle rifle and headed downstairs, where I was greeted by a group of Gold soldiers shortly after. “State your business.” I said.

Gold: “We’ve come from the CP “Guardian”. I was ordered by the CO there to give you this.”

He extended his hand, showing me a small data crystal. I reached out and carefully took it. “What’s on this?” I asked

Gold: “Hell if I know, but Guardian is under attack.”

I took the data crystal and put it in a nearby terminal, and after a brief decryption its information displayed on the screen. “You say that Guardian is under attack?”

Gold: “Yes, however, I was ordered by P10 to give you this crystal.”

The data on screen showed startling news. Its source was stated as “unknown”, but it had intel that had never even entered my ears. It seemed that the Reds were experimenting with some type of “dangerous product”. Further details were unclear. “Interesting…” I softly muttered. I turned back to the Gold soldiers. “For now, I’ll round up a few men to help you fight at Guardian.”

Gold: “Thank you, sir.”

I glanced back to face the screen that displayed the data crystal’s information. With quick and precise key strokes, I sent the data to some of my superiors. “Whatever it is, it’s none of my concern.” I told myself. I took the crystal out, shut down the terminal, and then sat on the small bench that was near me. Guardian was a main stronghold of the Gold soldiers. If it fell, the Gold faction would be at a serious loss.

Suddenly, a thought crossed my mind. Since there was nothing but boredom here, why not go with the reinforcements to Guardian? Finally, I had something to end this boring watch. I walked over and picked up my battle rifle. “It’s time to get back into some action.” I said as if talking to the gun. Picking up some extra ammunition I stepped through the shield that led to the outside. There I was greeted by the harsh, icy wasteland that was Avalanche. I opened my COM and pinged the head of the force that was heading to Guardian. Within a few moments I got a response.

Blue: “Sir?”

“Hold up on the loading, I’m coming with you guys.” I said.

Blue: “But sir, what about Avalanche?”

“I’m placing it under command of someone else.” I responded, “It’ll be fine.”

Blue: “If you say so sir. We’ll wait for you.”

“Good.” I replied. I shut off that channel and opened another with the lowly Blue who led the Gold soldiers to me; my advisor and second-in-command.

Blue: “What is it sir?”

Making sure to have the most serious tone I could, I answered his question. “I’m going away on a serious mission, and I need to know if you can handle the responsibilities I am about to hand down to you.”

Blue: “Sir… Yes sir!”

“Good, I’m promoting you to the boring… I mean exciting job of CP Supervisor. Can you handle it?”

Blue: “Yes sir! I won’t let you down! Thank you, sir!”

“Alright, I’ll leave Avalanche in your care. Good luck.” I shut off the COM. “Naive bastard that one is...” I thought to myself, “Well, I have a pelican to catch. Gotta make it to Guardian.” And with that, I started toward the loading area. Time for some more action.