Halo - Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Halo Effect ❯ Homeward Bound ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Halo Effect
 
Chapter 3 Homeward Bound
 
Shadow of Intent
 
The Arbiter and his companions walked onto the bridge of the Shadow of intent. The Arbiter was lost in thought at the news he just heard. “Can this be?” he thought to himself, “Can this mark really be what the Asari said it was?”
 
R'tas Vadum was the first to speak, “Arbiter. It is time to put all the Prophets told us behind us. You were branded as a heretic but in the Prophets ignorance they branded you a hero. You are a great hero. It is time to use your name as well as your title.”
 
N'tho said in a low voice, “I agree with Shipmaster Vadum. I think the fleet should address you as Arbiter Fulsam. We all have a fresh start, a clean slate. Let's make the most of it.”
 
Arbiter Fulsam said, in a tone that had a spark of new hope as well as honor, “Yes, it is time. Mir'and, set a course for Sangheilios. We are going home. Vadum, Sraom, I want to have a word with both of you in my ready room.”
 
The pair of Sangheili followed Fulsam into the ready room. The room was dimly lit. There were Honor Guards posted along the walls. The Arbiter had reinstated all of them before leaving the Human home world. The Arbiter took a seat in the gravity throne at the head of the conference table. R'tas looked at Arbiter Fulsam and said, “Orna, my old friend. We are embarking upon uncharted territory. What ever you decide we all will follow.”
 
Orna replied, “I wanted you in here because, when we reach Sangheilios we are going to meet our ancestors. Sraom I am promoting you to Supreme Sub-Commander of the Spec Ops. R'tas bring him a set of armor like yours. But instead of olive as the second color it is to be deep blue, to note his rank next to yours. The only one the two of you will answer to is me.”
 
N'tho stood and bowed his head at the Arbiter and said humblely, “Thank you, Excellency. I will not let you down.”
 
Orna continued, “Sraom with your new authority. I need you to look at the personnel files of the fleet. I want to put together a council. I need you to find within the ship masters or Spec Op Commanders or Sub-Commanders one each of the remaining eighteen tribes. The three of us make up three of the Twenty-one Tribes of Sangheili. As part of the council you will be my advisors.”
 
“R'tas looked at Orna and asked, “Are we going back to having a democratic government? Excellency.”
 
“Yes. But the Sangheili brothers we are encountering are already living by democracy. I will be changing it a little. I'm making it more like the Humans. But, the main reason for this council of advisors is to ensure we never join the Covenant,” Orna said proudly.
 
Mir'and came on the intercom and said, “Excellency, we are coming out of slip space and entering Sangheilian space.”
 
Sangheilios
 
The day started out perfect. There was a warm breeze blowing through the sunny sky. Supreme Councilor Fal Rasam was taking his time walking through the park. He stops walking when he hears his personal communicator beep. Irritated that matters can't wait for him to get to the office, he said, “Yes. What is it?”
 
“Excellency, sir. You are needed at the office immediately,” the panicked voice on the other end said.
 
“What's wrong? Does one if the High Councilors have his mandibles in a twist? Rasam said laughing.
 
“No. This is far worse. But I can't tell you over the com. You must get here at once. Make haste.” The voice said.
 
“Tell whoever it is I'll be there in less than half a unit,” Rasam said sighing. He takes a final look around before making his way to the office of the Council. “Duty calls,” he mumbles to himself. He makes his way to the large columned ivory building that is the center of the Sangheilian government. He enters the front and makes his way down the long dimly lit hallway to a gravity lift. He presses a few buttons on the panel and is lifted to his office. Rasam gracefully steps off the gravity lift, turns right and walks a short distance to his office.
 
“Sir, by the gods. I am glad you are here. You have three of the High Councilors and the High Scholar waiting,” Rila Saltum said almost hysterically.
 
“This must be important to bring one of the High Scholars out,” Rasam said intrigued, “Hold all my coms unless it pertains to whatever is going on. And I'm sure you already know what it is.”
 
Rasam clicks his mandibles and turns toward his door and with a swoosh he was in his office and ready to start his day.
 
“What took you so long?” Ne'ta Sraom, the High Scholar, said in a voice on the verge of impatience, “Do you know what is going on here?”
 
 
“As a matter of fact. No. I just got here. I was on my way here when I received a com saying to hurry in,” Rasam replied as he went to have a seat behind his massive wooden desk.
 
“The prophesy! They are here!” the High Scholar said as he was checking his armor and headdress.
 
“Now Ne'ta. Calm down we are not sure if it is the prophesied ones,” Ha'le Sadum said in a calm voice, “But, Supreme Councilor, we do have a fleet of Sangheili ships with unidentifiable markings entering Sangheilian space.”
 
“Well has anyone tried to contact our Brothers? Before we make assumptions let's make contact.” Rasam said in a diplomatic tone.
 
“Yes, Excellency,” replied Sadum.
 
Shadow of Intent
 
N'tho walked onto the bridge saluted Arbiter Fulsam and said, “Excellency, I have found the eighteen you requested. However, for the Ham tribe I chose Commander Usze Taham for his bravery while fighting along side us and the Humans.”
 
“Very good,” Arbiter Fulsam said proudly, “Usze was a brave warrior. Assemble the Council. I want them in my ready room in less than half a unit.”
 
Orna and his two companions were the last to enter the ready room. Arbiter Fulsam called the meeting to order. Usze was the first to speak, he said in a deep voice, “Excellency, why have you called all of us here?”
 
The Arbiter replied, “You, all of you will become my Council. Each of you represents a member of the Eighteen Tribes of the Sangheili. All of you have been brought great honor upon you names and your tribes. We are coming upon Sangheilios. We are home. Now the hard part begins. Each of you will hold a heavy burden of helping prevent the forming of the Covenant as we knew it. When we arrive you will help as my Council of Advisors. Your other positions will be filled. You have a higher purpose. You have greater authority.”
 
“It is a great honor,” Uruo Ratin, a Zealot shipmaster, said with swelling pride, “I hope we can keep the Sangheili from loosing their honor. We shall let no Prophet or Covenant set foot on Sangheilian soil.”
 
“You are correct,” Orna Fulsam replied with a war cry, “Long may our alliance with the Citadel stand.”
 
All twenty-one members of the Council and the Honor Guard gave a battle cry. The roar could be heard from the bridge where the Sangheili there joined in.
 
Ilb Gatrum, the communications specialist, said over the intercom, “Excellency. I apologize for interrupting. But we are being hailed. Do you want it on screen in the ready room or do you want voice only?”
 
The Arbiter replied, “Apology is duly noted. I want it voice only.”
 
“Sangheilian fleet this is Athenos tower. Please respond,” the young Sangheili said over the com channel.
 
“Athenos tower this is Shipmaster R'tas Vadum of the Sangheilian fleet. Is there a problem?” R'tas said quickly.
 
The voice replied, “Not a problem that can not be resolved. We do not recognize any of your call signs.”
 
“Send us a landing zone. I and a landing party will meet with your Supreme Councilor and whoever he wants with him,” R'tas said in a voice full of authority.
 
“Here are the coordinates. It is at our Council building. The Supreme Councilor and his party will meet you there,” the voice said in a low tone, “Athenos tower out.”
 
Orna looked at his twenty Sangheili brothers and said, “Come, let us go to a Phantom. It is time to rewrite history.”
 
The Sangheili roared with agreement. Arbiter Fulsam led his party along with a group of Honor Guards to the awaiting Phantom. The Arbiter was the last to get into the Phantom. He walked to the front where the pilot was located. “You have the coordinates?” he asked.
 
“Yes. Excellency,” replied the pilot, “We are ready to leave as soon as you give the word.”
 
“You have it. Take us in nice and slow. I don't want to startle our brothers,” Orna ordered. He turned and walked to the back of the Phantom.
 
Sangheilios
 
“I wonder why these Sangheili want to see me.” Rasam said in a questioning tone.
 
“I do not know,” Sadum replied, “Look,” he gestured with his four fingered hand, “I can see their Phantom. Could these Sangheili be from our outer colonies?”
 
“Could be,” was all Rasam said.
 
The Phantom that was carrying the Arbiter slowly descended. “Arbiter, landing zone in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1,” the pilot said over the intercom.
 
“Very good,” Orna said into his mouth piece.
 
“Come my brothers let's disembark,” Orna said enthusiastically.
 
The Supreme Councilor watched as the Phantom descended and came to a halt five units from him. Soon Sangheili started coming down the gravity lift that was in the belly of the Phantom. There were Sangheili of Zealot rank, Spec Op rank, as well as Honor Guard. Rasam looked at Sadum and said quietly, “For there to be that many Honor Guard. It has to be a High Councilor with an overly active mind. Let's…” before he could finish, the reason for the Honor Guard caught his eye. The last Sangheili to come out of the Phantom was a Sangheili dressed in silver armor with strange symbols on it. The armor was unlike any armor the Sangheili has ever seen. The Supreme Councilor and his two companions dropped to their knees.
 
“By the gods! The Lost Arbiter!” Ne'ta said as be bowed his head.