Halo - Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Halo Effect ❯ New Beginnings ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Halo Effect
Chapter 4 New Beginnings
Athenos, Sangheili capital city, Sangheilios
The sun was shining bright. There was a warm breeze blowing off the ocean. Arbiter Fulsam looked around his surroundings, the towering white buildings that had a glimmer of gold in the sunlight, white sand on the shoreline of the beautiful blue ocean and the hanging gardens. He thought, "It's good to be home how I've missed being here."
Orna walked ahead of his companions. He stopped in front of the kneeling Sangheili. He looked at them and said, in a bold deep voice, "Rise my brothers. A new day is dawning."
The three Sangheili rose. The Supreme Councilor, Fal Rasam, said, "Greetings, excellency. Come let us go inside," he turns to High Councilor Ha'li' Sadum and continued, "We must call an emergency meeting of the High Council."
"Indeed," replied Sadum.
The group walked into the high columned building. Orna looked at R'tas and said quietly, "It is amazing at how little things changed over the years."
"Indeed, excellency, indeed," replied R'tas as he looked at his home, "It is good to be home."
"Come, Arbiter. We must get to the High Council Chamber. There has been an emergency meeting called so you can address them."
The group of Sangheili walked through the dimly lit hall to the council chambers. The council chamber was a circular room with rows of seats lining the walls. The center of the room was where the Supreme Councilor and the other Sangheili stood. The Honor Guard went to take their positions at all the entrances. Protection of the Arbiter was top priority. The Supreme Councilor walked up to the podieum and said in a loud thundering voice, "Sangheili High Council. Let there be order. This meeting was called on a matter of upmost importance. A prophesy has been fulfilled." There was complete silence in the room. Rasam continued, "The Arbiter of the Sangheili has arrived."
Orna stepped forward. The High Council all stood and bowed at the sight of the Sangheili in the ornamental armor. "Rise my brothers. For I am Orna Fulsam, Arbiter of the Sangheili. A new day is dawning. I have secured an alliance that will benifit all Sangheili," the Arbiter said proudly.
Ha'li' Sadum stood and said, "Arbiter Fulsam. How will this alliance benifit us? We are already advanced, we have weapons and warships. The Minister of Defense, Cestu' Maham, has had the scientists working around the clock developing weapons and warships from the blueprints left by the Forerunner."
"Yes, we are highly advanced. But this alliance will give us aid if we are ever attacked," Orna said in a matter of fact tone.
Orna turns to Supreme Councilor and says, "I want to leave you in your current position. I shall travel between here and the Citadel where we have our alliance. I am going there as our Ambassador."
Supreme Councilor Rasam bowed his head and said in a humble tone, "Thank you, excellency."
The Arbiter continued, "I shall return in a few units. Before I leave for the Citadel I'd like to see some of our colonies. I am, however, issuing my first order. Our allies use a different tpye of time measurement. I shall give you all a copy of it. The new time is to be used immediately."
Orna looked at Rasam and R'tas Vadum and said, "I want to go to the Nelus colony first. I will eventually tour all of the Sangheilian colonies that are in the different systems."
"Yes, excellency," Rasam said quickly, "We shall transmit the coordinates to your fleet at once."
Orna turned back to the High Council and continued his address, "I know we are a warrior race. Let's not loose that but instead of being a race bent on distruction and war. Let's be a warrior race bent on keeping the peace in the galaxy. Warriors can also be bringers of peace. I propose our race being a race of Peace Keeping Warriors. Our gift to our new Citadel allies will be one of peace."
The High Council all roared in agreement. For the first time they, the Sangheili, have a true leader. Orna turned to R'tas and said, "Let's return to our ship. There is much preparations to be done before we leave."
R'tas saluted and said, "By your word Arbiter."
The Arbiter and his many companions made their way back to their awaiting Phantom. "Take us to the Shadow of Intent," was all the Arbiter said. He sat back in his chair and was soon lost in thought. The trip away from the planet was smooth.
The pilot broke the silence by saying, "Docking with the Shadow of Intent. Prepare to disembark."
The Arbiter looked at his companions and said, "Be in my ready room in thirty minutes. We are having a working lunch."
He turned to R'tas and said, "Go to the bridge and have them set a course for Nelus."
"Yes, Arbiter," replied R'tas.
The members of the Arbiter's Council entered the ready room. The Arbiter had just gave the orders for the finishing touches for the lunch banquet to be set up. "Everyone grab your lunch. Once seated we will begin," Orna said loudly.
Everyone walked up to the banquet table. "You have out done yourself," R'tas said to Orna's personal cook.
Orna and R'tas filled their plates with stew worms, roasted red meat, fish, vegestables, fruits, and sweet bread. The rest of the Council followed their lead. As they were seated the cook's assistant served them all a glass of iced Sangheilian tea.
The meeting didn't last as long as the Arbiter wanted. The radar specialist said over the intercom, "Arbiter Fulsam, you may want to come to the bridge for this."
"Very well," Orna said as he and R'tas rose to go to the bridge.
"What is it?" R'tas said impatiently.
"Excellency, there is a back half of a ship floating, drifting twenty degrees off our port. It has the markings of UNSC " the radar specialist said.
"By the gods," the Arbiter said as his mandibles begame agape, "Could it be? Could the storm we encountered been caused by the destruction of the Ark and the unfinished Halo?"
"Bring the fleet to a full stop. Scan for any life signs," R'tas ordered, "We have a rescue and recovery mission."
---------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------
UNSC Frigate
Forward Unto Dawn
"Chief, I need you!" Cortana said as she began the wake up sequence to revive the Chief.
"Yes, Cortana," the Chief said grogily.
"There are Covenant ships and alot of them approaching. My scans aren't strong enough at this range. They could be Covenant or they could be Elites. I can't tell," Cortana said with a hint of urgency to her voice.
The Master Chief checked his armor then his trusted battle rifle and said, "I guess we have to wait and see."