Halo - Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Halo Effect ❯ Farewell to Old Friends ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Halo or Mass Effect. They are owned by Microsoft, Bungie, and Bioware. I also want to give credit to an author of a poem I used. The poem is What Heroes Gave, by Roger Robicheau.
The Halo Effect
Chapter 5 Farewell to Old Friends
Shadow of Intent
Spec Ops get into ranger gear we have a recover and rescue mission to complete. Failure is no option. Meet us in the hanger on the double,” Arbiter Fulsam ordered, “R'tas, my brother; come let's finish what we have started. The Spartan is waiting.”
Yes, Arbiter,” R'tas said as he was leaving the bridge, “Make haste, he may be running out of breathable air.”
I need a scan done. I want you to check for any Flood,” the Arbiter ordered.
The radar specialist replied, “Done. There are no Flood present.”
See if you can open a channel to the ship,” Arbiter Fulsam said in a worried tone.
This is the Shadow of Intent hailing unknown UNSC vessel,” the communications specialist said.
---------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
UNSC Frigate Forward Unto Dawn
Chief, it's the Elites. We are being hailed,” Cortana said.
Can you establish communication?” the Chief said as he lowered his battle rifle relieved that is was the Elites and not the remnant of the Covenant.
Shadow of Intent, this is Cortana, can you hear me?” Cortana said with relief in her voice.
---------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shadow of Intent
Arbiter, they are responding,” the communications specialist said.
Patch me through,” the Arbiter said still concerned for their safety, “Cortana, Spartan, we are attempting to coordinate a rescue and recovery mission. How is your air supply?”
Negative. Don't attempt. There is an energy field building around this ship. It could destroy any ship attempting to dock. The field is unstable,” Cortana said as she was analyzing the space around the partial frigate.
Analyze the space around the ship,” the Arbiter said to the radar specialist.
The construct is correct. Any attempt of us to land or them to leave will result in the destruction of either,” the radar specialist said.
You mean we have failed before we begin?” R'tas said angrily, “That is not acceptable. We must try.”
No! I will not let anyone risk their lives on a failed mission,” the Master Chief said, “There has been enough loss of life.” The Master Chief started remembering all the people Human and Elite that had die in the Prophet's war.
We will keep the channel open as long as we can,” the Arbiter said with a note of sadness, “Is there anything we can do?”
Arbiter the slip space field is growing there isn't much time it will engulf the ship in a matter of minutes,” the radar specialist said hurriedly.
I just want to say, Thank you for helping me on the Ark and Halo. I know we started as enemies but I am glad to call you friend,” the Master Chief said.
That makes two of us. You were a worthy opponent but you were an honorable ally.” The Arbiter said, “I wish we could do more…” Before the Arbiter could say anymore there was a bright light on the view screen.
They are gone,” the communications specialist said quietly.
I'll be in my ready room,” Arbiter Fulsam said as be was fighting back the lump that was forming in his throat.
R'tas looked at N'tho and said, “Maintain the bridge.”
R'tas walked into the Arbiter's ready room. “Brother, are you ok?” he said in a concerned voice.
There has been enough death. I know for many years he was the Demon. But he was just as much an honored warrior as the Sangheili. He didn't deserve to die this way,” Orna said angrily.
R'tas clearly seeing how upset Arbiter Fulsam was said, “We shall hold a memorial service. For all our fallen and the Spartan.”
His death makes me want this alliance with the Citadel even more. We must not let our race become what we became,” the Arbiter said as he took a seat, “I think a memorial service would be helpful.”
Shipmaster, I scanned the area. There is no sign of debris. Maybe the link we had was severed due to the ship jumping into slip space?” the radar specialist said.
You could be right. But the condition the ship was in there is no way the De… Spartan survived,” replied R'tas.
R'tas, brother, put together a memorial service. We shall hold it in hanger bay one. I shall find the right words to say. Have everyone there in one hour,” the Arbiter said in a strained voice.
The Arbiter thought long and hard about what he was going to say. He even searched the data files for help to find the words. Then it hit him. A five hundred year old poem. “Perfect,” he thought to himself as he made his way to hanger bay one.
The talk came to a stop as the Arbiter entered the hanger bay. “Communications, I want this service broadcasted to all the ships,” Orna said sadly.
Yes, Excellency, channel open,” the communications specialist replied.
For those not in this hanger I would like you to take a moment and halt all you are doing. We are conducting a small memorial service,” Orna said in a solemn voice.
The Arbiter stepped up to the podium and began,” Death is not an easy subject for anyone to discuss or cope with. It can be very difficult to come up with words of condolence for those that need them. Sometime you find yourself not saying anything at all and that can be even worse than saying the wrong thing.” The Arbiter took a breath as he looked at the crowd of Sangheili all with their heads bowed. He continued, “I would like to read an ancient Human poem. It sums up the feelings for us Sangheili, as we deal with the loss of our brothers and with the loss of some of our new found friends and allies. The poem is `What Heroes Gave' by Roger Robicheau. `Each donned their uniform to be defenders of our liberty. Their mission sure, their spirits bright, guard freedom's home, be brave to fight. One final day each faced their call, each gave their best enduring all. Deep down inside we should all feel, what heroes gave, their cost so real. We must stay thankful, grateful of the gift of freedom through their love. Their loved ones bore the gravest pain, what we can't know, some now sustain. Remember this from year to year, what heroes gave - shan't disappear. We'll never let their special day, their time for honor slip away. These brave fought for a nation free, if not for them, where would we be?'”
Orna lifted his head and in a somber voice said, “Now we shall have a moment of silence for all who have fallen."
---------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forward Unto Dawn
The back half of the Forward unto Dawn came out of slip space. It began drifting toward an unknown planet, possibly Forerunner. The planet eclipses the sun at first but the sun slowly comes out from behind the planet. The ship starts picking up speed as the planet's gravity pulls the ship toward the planet surface.
Chief, hold on!” ordered Cortana.