Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction / Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Immortal Raven ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or Supernatural.
Poll is closed, Dean won by a mile. So looks like this will be HarryDean.
 
Chapter 1
 
He ignored the sound of approaching footsteps since it was time for the monthly Auror patrol and he didn't want them to know how unaffected he was by the Dementors. He frowned as he felt a familiar presence among them.
 
“Mischief managed.” He froze as a familiar voice barely reached his ears. Tonks? And why was she giving a Marauder password? He stayed quiet and still until they passes his cell on their return journey before getting up and approaching the cell door. He reached out and it opened under his hand. Tonks was helping him escape? But why? He barely knew her and he had gotten her cousin killed. Deciding to think about it later he slipped from his cell and headed down the corridor. Pausing outside the guard's room he smiled as he heard drunken laughter, Tonks was obviously covering his escape. Passing the room he glanced in and Tonks was looking right at him. She smiled softly and then turned her back, saying something to the man next to her that had the whole room laughing hysterically as he ran down the hall. As soon as he hit the door his body was changing and shrinking.
 
Tonks peered out the window to see a raven wheeling and diving about outside before it turned towards the barely visible shoreline.
 
“Good luck.” She whispered before downing a bottle of FIrewhisky and joining the others in oblivion.
 
---------------------------------
No one payed any attention to the raven that navigated Gringotts halls with an envelope attached to one leg except for the goblins. Once out of sight of the witches and wizards the bird landed in front of a waiting goblin and blurred. Harry Potter bowed slowly to the goblin and then straightened.
 
“I was wondering if I could find out the state of my account sir?” He asked and the goblin nodded.
 
“This way Mr. Potter.” He followed the goblin to an office and blinked in surprise at the goblin behind the desk.
 
“Griphook?”
 
“Good to see you again Mr. Potter. Here about your account?” Harry nodded and took the offered seat.
“With no trial the Ministry could not seize your accounts or order them frozen so you have gained a fair amount of interest.”
 
“Accounts?”
 
“Of course. You were Sirius Black's main heir and he left you the bulk of his property with a sum going to Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks. He also left you this.” The goblin handed over a sealed envelope which Harry accepted numbly.
“So what can I help you with?”
 
“I need to transfer as much as I can to muggle currency. Once word of my `escape' leaks out they'll be watching the magical community too closely. I'm going to leave the country. Don't suppose you know anyone who does good fake id's?” Harry asked and Griphook grinned.
 
--------------------------------------
“Did it work?” Tonks paused and then nodded, relaxing as warm arms wrapped around her.
 
“He's out Remus. Think I know what his animagus form is too. Saw a rather happy raven out the window just after he snuck by.”
 
“How...how did he look?” Remus asked, not sure he wanted to know.
 
“Thin but then he always was, older and harder. And tired, so tired.” She turned around burying her face in his chest.
 
“We've done everything we can Nym, the rest is up to him.”
 
-----------------------------------------
Harry sat on the old four poster bed and stared unseeingly at the envelope in his hands. He was still having trouble believing he'd been locked away for ten years, it hadn't felt that long. Maybe he'd been crazy for longer than he'd thought? But no, that had passed when he'd turned seventeen.
 
As soon as he'd arranged for fake papers he'd slipped away from London and then flown across the channel to France. It hadn't taken long to find the shadier side of the French Wizarding areas and get himself a new wand. Though not a perfect match it would do, Dumbledore had his old one as far as he knew so there was no way to retrieve it. The small, rather rundown inn he was staying in suited his purpose well, no one asked any questions and it was very cheap.
 
With a shaking hand he finally opened the envelope and pulled out a piece of yellowed parchment and another envelope, this one addressed to someone named Bobby.
 
Dear pup,
 
If you're reading this then obviously I'm dead, hopefully in a dashing and heroic manner. I'm sorry for any pain I have caused you Harry; I love you very much and wish I could be there to see you beat old snake face.
 
Anyway, down to business. I don't know whether you have realised this yet so what I have to tell you may come as a shock. Better sit down kiddo. Dumbledore is not the kindly old grandfather he portrays himself to be to you. There has been so much he could have stopped but has allowed to happen for `the greater good', one of those being the death or your parents and my imprisonment. I urge you to run pup, as soon as you can. The wizarding world is too set in its way, sooner or later they will turn on you.
 
This is where my second letter comes in. Go to America and in South Dakota you will find a place called Singer Salvage. The owner is a friend of mine and a good man; he'll give you a place to stay until you find your feet again. Trust the goblins, they'll help you since your account now makes up a rather large portion of their bank.
 
Stay safe and live Harry. All my love,
 
Sirius Black.
 
Harry let the letter fall to the bed as he stared into space. If only he'd managed to get to Gringotts after Sirius' death, he would have known to be ready to run. Not that it would have really helped since he was unconscious after the battle but still...He sighed and ran a hand through his long hair. First thing first, get cleaned up, wait for his papers and then it looked like he was booking a one way ticket to America.
 
-------------------------------
Harry smiled at the young woman at the ticket counter, making her blush as she handed over the first class ticket. He'd had his hair cut to just below his shoulders so he could tie it back and it was a lot calmer than when it was short. He'd also shaved off his rather scraggly beard and gotten some contact lenses. Sure he was still far too skinny and pale but only time would fix that.
 
“Have a good flight Mr. Grim and thank you for flying Air France.” She told him and he flashed her another smile as he left. He grabbed a sandwich and a cup of coffee and settled in to wait for his flight to be called, still smiling over the name the goblins had chosen for him. Harrison Grim. He wondered if they had known what Sirius' animagus form had been when they'd made the choice. When his flight was called he threw out his trash, grabbed his backpack and headed for the gate, ticket in hand.
 
Harry relaxed back into the rather comfy seat, fastened his seat beat, slipped his headphones on and fell asleep. He could have flown to the US but that was an incredibly long flight for a bird which was why he was on a plane. As he drifted of he wondered what had happened to Hedwig after his incarceration and whether or not he'd ever see his feathered friend again.
 
He was startled out of sleep by a gentle hand on his shoulder and looked up to see one of the flight attendants leaning over him.
 
“Sorry to wake you sir but we'll be landing soon and you need to turn your IPod off now.” She apologised and Harry smiled.
 
“It's okay, thanks for waking me.” He set his seat back into the upright position and began getting ready for the landing, thankful that he had already filled out his customs forms. He stared out the window as the sun rose and illuminated the shore of his new home.
 
Two hours later he staggered out the doors of JFK International Airport. It was nice to be back on solid ground again but he could do without the crowds! He'd never realised New York would be so busy. He hailed a taxi as quickly as he could and asked for a moderately priced hotel. He'd stay a day or two to adjust and then he'd go find Singer Salvage. He only the man still remembered Sirius fondly.
 
TBC...