Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction / Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ Vanguard ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Vanguard
Prologue
“Albus, the vampire army is approaching rapidly. What are your orders, sir?” asked the worried Private.
“Tell all squads to return to base for one final assault on the army.” The old man said sounding very calm even though he knows that this might be the last day he will live.
With that command a man ran out of the tent to relay the message via patronus to the remaining squads that were standing guard on the perimeter.
“Brigadier Dumbledore, we can't possibly beat an entire army of newborns with less than a hundred men.”
“I know that Lieutenant, but I am willing to give my life to protect this village of muggles. We are the last defense they have. We must hold until everyone is evacuated as planned.”
“Sir, it's suicide your one of the 3 Brigadiers of the entire Vanguard. Please escape and let us lead this fight.”
Dumbledore chuckled to himself before saying “Now now Lieutenant, I won't have your deaths on my conscious through the rest of my days. I will stay and fight.”
“Yes sir, as you wish.”
Suddenly a man ran into the tent. He was wearing a red trench coat with a black fire design running along the edges, wearing on his face a mask that had the design of a lion.
“Yes, what is it lieutenant?” asked Dumbledore with his calm voice.
“All squads but one has returned safely sir.”
“Which squad didn't return?” asked the old man hoping his worries wouldn't become reality.
“It was squad one, Sir” he answered Dumbledore.
It was very unfortunate because that particular squad consisted of the two captains that would be his successors if he was to fall in battle. But they were much more to Dumbledore than just Captains; he raised them since they were just little kids.
“Rex.” Dumbledore continued with his calm voice. “If I don't make it back in time, I want you to lead the battle. Send a third of the army to evacuate the entire city. Hold them off as long as you can until the city is evacuated then I want everyone to aparate out of here.” Dumbledore commanded talking at a very fast pace.
“Will Co, Commander” answered the lieutenant who was more than willing to ensure the safety of the town filled with muggles.
Dumbledore stepped outside and apparition to the same spot where squad one was patrolling. It was very dark and cold. He was on top of a canyon with nothing around him but barren wasteland. He looked towards the ground and there were many footprints and scorch marks made by fire spells of some sort. Obviously there were signs that a battle took place. He looked around his surroundings and seen nothing but he soon seen a cave about a hundred feet away from him. As he got closer to the cave he could hear moaning of someone in pain.
“Hello?” the old man asked.
“About time you showed up Alby.” said one of the Captains who seemed just as calm as Dumbledore always is. Most likely a trait he picked up on from his childhood at Albus's home.
“Yea its freezing in here, did you remember to bring my blanket?” asked the other captain with a smile.
“No I dear say that I forgot it this time. I will remember next time if that will make you happy.” He said with a bright spark in his eye. “Would you please step outside and make sure I wasn't followed in please?”
The younger brother then walked toward the mouth of the cave to be the look-out.
“What happened to young Joey?” asked Dumbledore referring to the man lying on the floor with some bad looking gashes.
“We got ambushed by about ten vamps. These weren't newborns either they were matured. They were very experienced. We managed to handle our own but Joey was still new to fighting.”
“I see. Was he bitten?”
“No, just bad scratches on his arm and one slash across his chest.”
“Very well, he doesn't look like he can be apparited in his condition so we must return him to base.”
“No, you must return him to base.”
“What are you talking about?” asked Dumbledore with worry in his voice that they were going to attempt something that would put them at serious risk
“We were out here setting up a trap to delay the newborns. Our enchantments only let us spring them. We are planning to collapse a canyon so they can't go through it and that will buy us an hour or more. That is more than enough time to evacuate that town.”
“Very well, Captain” Dumbledore said with a tint of sorrow that they would be put in danger.
Dumbledore conjured up a cot and put a levitation charm on the cot and Joey so he could move him with ease. They walked out into the mouth of the cave and joined with the other brother.
“Alright you two be careful” Dumbledore said with and almost fatherly tone.
“Don't worry Alby, we will be back before you even get there you old geezer.” Said the elder brother with a light chuckle.
One thing that Albus was proud of in his life time was raising these two boys and training them to be skilled and great fighters. They were like sons to him. He put a levitation charm on his own body and before he set off back to the camp he looked back at them and said very simply.
“Make sure this won't be the last time I see you”
“We promise.” the two brothers said in unison.
At the same time the two brothers but on their bucket hats. One Captain had orange stripes on his hat and the other Captain had red stripes on his.
Albus sped towards the base with Joey in his comfy cot. About half way to the base he heard a large explosion and the sound of boulders crushing onto the ground. Soon after the air filled up with screams that were made by the vampires who were obviously not too happy about the blocked entrance. Albus got to the base and quickly took Joey to the infirmary. Then apparited back to the cave only to find that no one was there. He was completely alone. His Captains were nowhere to be found.