Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ And So They Found Out ❯ The Truth Revealed ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Over the next three week the guys didn't speak much of the events that happened on that particular Saturday. Mostly because they didn't want Remus to crucify them for bringing it up again. But James was most definitely not going to forget the events. Oh no. He would remind Sirius of their little adventure in the shrieking shack and tell him what he planned on doing.
One day while eating lunch out on the school grounds the boys were using that time to study as well for the plethora of tests that was to be handed to them tomorrow for no reason in particular.
“Do you ever get the feeling that they plan this stuff?” asked James, who was laying upside down, legs propped up on a tree.
“No conspiracy theories right now James, please. We've got to move onto Divination” said Sirius with a laugh.
“We're going to have a test in there too? Bloody hell, I let Olivia borrow my text book. Let me go hunt it down. I'll be back” said Remus, who was a bit touchy this week. Once he was gone and out of site James looked at Sirius and Peter with a mischievous grin.
“I trust you boys haven't forgotten the events that took place a few weeks ago yes?” The two of them shook their heads. “Well then, whaddaya say next time he goes out we follow him?” his voice became more and more excited as he spoke.
“Now James that wouldn't be fair now would it?” said Sirius, trying to hide the fact that he thought that was a swell idea.
“Good then its settled. Last time he took off around nine. I remember because I was complaining how loud the clocks were at the school. So boys, make sure you look busy enough to not care that he is leaving.” Sirius was going to argue it, but gave in. He wanted to see just as badly as James.
Oddly enough, it was only a few nights later when they were all hanging out in the common room that they had to put their plan into action. Sirius was writing a paper at a table in the corner, James was reading a book and Peter was pretending to read the newspaper. They were the only ones in the common room, making it seem like a cozy environment. Remus looked rather sleepy when he walked into the common room.
“Sorry fellas, mum is getting worse. She wants me to be there right now. She overreacts a lot.” he said the end of the sentence with a laugh. “So I'll probably be back by morning. Don't worry about me” he smiled. He knew that the four of them didn't believe the sick mum thing, but it was his only story, and they would just have to deal with it.
Once he had been out of the room a few minutes they got up from their spaces. James ran up to his trunk, grabbed the invisibility cloak, and they were off following Remus.
They finally caught up with him, making sure they were quieter with every step. It was much easier when they got outside. They saw Remus wave to a professor that was making sure he got there on time and make his way to the Whomping Willow. Because they were taking their time sneaking past the professor they didn't quite understand it when they saw the tree freeze. This tree had been planted only a few years ago, and already it had beat the tar out of so many kids. It was odd to see it stand perfectly still while Remus was so close. But sure enough, it wasn't moving at all as Remus slipped away into the trunk. The boys ran as fast as they could to catch up before the tree started again. They were successful.
It was James' idea to take off the cloak as they entered the tunnel. He doubted that they would need it anymore. Peter was frightened though, and volunteered to carry it, which was exactly what James had wanted when he brought up the subject.
The tunnel was a long and cold one, and still they made no sound. At first anyway. But it was such a long tunnel and James was getting impatient. He started making comments on how this must be what it is like to be a baby in the womb. Peter would of laughed louder at the comment, but he was still too scared to make much noise.
Finally they saw a light. James crawled faster until finally he popped out the hole without giving a second thought to what was on the other side.
“BIRTH!” He screamed. This even made Sirius laugh out loud. As the came out of the hole they recognized the place as the Shrieking Shack, and over in the corner was Remus, looking at them in complete shock.
“WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING HERE!?” he shouted as he stood up. “You're not supposed to be here! GET OUT!”
“Remus what's going on-”
“LEAVE!!!!!” right as he said that he looked out the window. The moon was coming out. He looked back at his friends with a frightened expression growing on his face. He lipped 'get out' to them one last time before it happened.
Right before their eyes, James, Sirius, and Peter watched their best friend transform from a frightened teenager, to a large beast. He became twice his height, his fingers, arms, and torso were disproportional and long. James' stomach flipped. Sirius remained perfectly still as they saw Remus' yellow eyes looked down a large snout that ended in large sharp teeth.
They knew what had been going on. They knew why Remus snuck out once a month.
Remus Lupin, was without a doubt, a werewolf.
Peter darted back to the tunnel, grabbing the closest person to him. Unfortunate for him, James was the victim of Peter's defense mechanism. Sirius just stood there, looking into the eyes of his good friend.
“Remus?” he said quietly, as cool as he could sound. “Remus its Sirius, man. Come on now. You remember me.” he said the last bit with a smile on his face. Remus just stared back at him. He understood. And for a brief moment, he relaxed.
“See now that wasn't very hard at all now was it?” James had escaped Peter's grip after much kicking and scraping and popped back out of the hole to get Sirius. When he saw Sirius and Remus staring at each other, he panicked and called out.
“Sirius! Get over here quick!” Remus quickly snapped back into full fledged werewolf and began to snap at them Sirius ran to the tunnel and James pulled him in. All while Remus was tearing at them.
James didn't stop running until they were out of the tunnel and on the other side of the hill as far as they could get from school. Sirius sat down, there were scratches all over him.
“Shit.” he said plainly as he saw them.
“Nah man its good. Its only the bite that passes the curse along. “ said james as he reached for the invisibility cloak. He was going to ripp of material to cover up the scratches.
“Don't.”
“Why not?”
“Because it will look worse if my hand is detached from my arm stupid.”
“Oh right” said James. He started using bits of his own cloak.
“Did you see that?”
“What?”
“Before you got there and screamed, Remus understood me. I was talking to him, and he calmed down a bit. It was so weird.”
“I think he was still changing at that point Sirius. I wouldn't know. Pissy Pants Peter had already swept me into the tunnel” He stared at Peter who was sitting away from them. He squeaked as he heard the insult hurled at him. There was a long period where no one said anything. The only sounds that were made was James' ripping fabric and the occasional grunt of pain from Sirius.
“Man, he is gonna be so pissed off tomorrow.”

------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------------------------
Remus Lupin awoke in his bed on a sunny blue Sunday in November. He looked around the room to find all the other beds empty and unmade. He groaned and rolled over, trying to forget the events of the night before.
Unfortunately it wouldn't be that easy this time.
He closed his eyes, remembering everything. He remembered them popping into the shack. He remembered yelling at them. He shut his eyes a bit tighter. He remembered watching their faces as he changed. He remembered- He remembered Sirius. He remembered being able to control himself. He remembered relaxing for the short period of time.
He remembered slashing and tearing at his best friends.
After they had left, he remembered being particularly hard on himself the rest of the night. Biting and slashing himself deeper than he ever had before.
This thought process was disturbed by James Potter, who walked into the room at that moment and flopped down on the bed next to Remus'.
“Well good morning starshine” he said sleepily. Remus quickly opened his eyes and rolled over. James raised an eyebrow and smiled. “Do you not liked being called starshine now?” he joked.
“Erm, no its fine” said Remus quietly. He was very confused.
Just then, Sirius Black poked his head around the door.
“James are you tormenting Remus without me?” he said coolly as he entered the room, following him was Peter Pettigrew. Sirius sat on the bed on the other side of Remus. Peter sat on the one next to that. Remus looked at Sirius' arms. They were still bandaged up. There was also 3 large scratch marks running from his right shoulder, down to the bottom of his torso on the left side. Remus followed all these marks with his eyes in absolute horror.
“Sirius, I am so s-” Sirius put his hand up, telling Remus to stop.
“Its fine.”
Remus too a deep breath and looked at his friends. His paranoias flushed away.
“You guys aren't mad at me are you?”
“Hell yeah we're mad at you!” exclaimed James.
“James-” Sirius made a poor attempt at stopping him.
“You should of told us sooner you dolt! We could have already been practicing!”
“Practicing what?”
“Animals can't be hurt by werewolves, soooooo....” he stopped for a moment and pulled out a text book. “Sirius, Peter, and I are going to become animagi!”
The End (until next time anyway)