Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Coven of the Rose ❯ Chapter 01 ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
DO NOT IN ANY WAY TAKE THIS STORY SERIOUSLY, IT'LL GIVE YOU A HEADACHE AND CAUSE SQUIRLS TO SPONTIANIOUSLY CUMBUST.

This is my version of a Harry Potter revenge fic, but after a couple of years in Azkaban he's not quite sane anymore. He has some sanity left, but it doesn't really affect him anymore. So a recap, in last chapter Harry discovered a rather convient hiding place. Damn that thing just popped out of nowhere when he needed it. ^_^

oooooooooo
Coven of the Rose
Chapter 01
By CRose
© 2006
oooooooooo

Time of course passed; we're not sure how long though, it's a little hard to do in a printed medium. But I digress, it was a dark and cloudy night when a cloaked figure exited the trees at the edge of the forest and glanced around. Then promptly fell over and planted his face in the grass at his feet.

"Shit!"

He sprang back to his feet and adjusted his cloak. He pulled out a little device, shaped like a little hand paddle, made out of polished wood, and had to little protrusions sticking out from the top pointing down ward at an angle. They lit up with light and started to flutter a little as Harry twisted around. The little wings raised a little as he looked to the west.

Harry vanished with a thunderclap that shook the leaves off nearby trees. A stunned squirrel fell out a tree. About a mile away, Harry appeared with a silent burst of light at the top of a hill. He looked out over the lights of a small town below.

Pulling his device out again, he made another quick scan and nodded as the readings pointed towards the town. He was just glad it was day time, because it was so much easier to see the item of his quest set right in the middle of the town. A massive tree with silver leaves large enough to keep several houses in a constant shadow.

An aptly named silver leaf tree. A few minutes later he strolled into town and ignored the look people were giving him as he made his way over to the tree. His face was hidden by the large hood that covered his head, so all anyone could see was his slightly furry chin. His hideout didn’t seem to have any shaving equipment.

Why, oh why, did wizards have to do every little thing with magic? It made it so inconvenient for escapees like him to change their appearance. He glanced up at the branch above him and had to jump a couple of times to reach it, much to the amusement of the people watching him.

One day Harry knew he would have a growth spurt. One day soon. Now that he had the pesky branch, he took a closer look at the leaves and pulled two of the larger ones from the branch. They would work perfectly. Now that he had the leaves he would need some wood, Holly to be precise.

Stuffing the leaves in one of his cloaks large pockets, Harry pulled the odd device out of his pocket again and reset it. The thing started to glow as the little wings rose almost level with the top. From there he slowly turned and let the signal get stronger and set off.

Several of the town’s people tried to talk to him, but Harry ignored them as he worked. Several minutes later he was standing in front of a wood workers shop at the edge of town.

Harry snorted. "Figures, now how to pay…"

"What'cha lookin fer?" Some guy asked him.

"Wood, Holly Wood."

"Neva 'eard of e'm."

Harry nearly face faulted. "No, the wood, Holly."

The man, Harry noticed that he bore a striking resemblance to Mudingus Fletcher. It was with some relief that the man didn’t have a sausage cart next to him with burn charcoal sausage for sale. "The owner of the store here has plenty of Holly in stock. At least he did the last time I bought some."

This made Harry as his left eye started to twinkle. He had an idea. Grabbing the guy's arm, he pulled him into the alley next to the shop. The sound of a loud growl erupted from the alley, along with flesh hitting flesh, and a loud scream in the high octave range pleading for mercy and confessing crimes.

Harry exited the alley a couple minutes later counting out a small bag of galleons he just liberated from his newest friend. He bought his wood, a small piece and a long, raw, untouched piece for his other idea. Yew would have come in handy, but there was none in stock. Which was odd for a place called Yew and Me.

Both items vanished into his pockets as he left the shop and stepped back outside. Pulling his odd device out once again he activated it again and moved onto the next item on his list. He ignored the groans of pain coming, rather loudly, from the alley and quickly made his way out of town.

Then vanished with another crack of thunder, stunning a chipmunk this time as it too fell out of a nearby tree.

oooooooooo

"Has there been any news?" Albus Dumbledore asked as he sat down in his chair at number twelve Grimauld place. He adjusted his purple tinted glasses and smiled at the crowd of faces around him.

Mad 'Eye' Moody grunted and stood up. He was getting way to old for all this running around. "We've been making some subtle inquiries into Potter's escape for months now. No one in the Ministry has any idea where he is."

"The boy must be caught as soon as possible. My little Ginny has been hiding behind the beds again." Mrs. Weasley, the mother hen, yelled.

Ginny Weasley, two seats away rolled her eyes at her mother's antics. She hadn't lived at the Burrow for over a year now and wondered if that boggart was bothering her mother again. On the other side of the room Fred and George looked bored. They hadn't had anything exciting happen, other than Voldemort killing a few people, for nearly two years.

On the couch, coming in at over three hundred pounds, a rather overweight Remus Lupin was pouring a box of potion laced chocolates down his throat in near orgasmic joy. No one even looked at him when he made those funny noises anymore. Then a few seats away from him Hermione and Ron were busy listening to Dumbledore.

"No clues at all Alister?" Dumbledore asked.

"None, it's like he vanished into thin air. We haven't been able to even track him magically. Something is blocking his magic signature and that means that someone is helping him."

Snape snorted.

"You have an opinion Severus?" Albus asked.

"The brat should be killed on sight and remove the stain of the Potter line from this world forever." Snape snapped.


Half the order yawned; they had grown quite bored of Snape's constant insults to Harry over the last twenty-four months. Snape snarled, stood up, and stalked out of the room in snit.

Moody cleared his throat. "The only thing that has happened was a couple days ago actually, but it has nothing to do with Potter. One of Fletcher's contacts way out in Northern Flats was…" Moody pulled out a small dirty note pad. "Dragged into an alley, mugged for twenty two galleons and three sickles. At the same time he was, deprived of his balls, stripped naked, and stuffed into a small trash can face first."

Half the room groaned while the girls looked confused for a second, and then started giggling. The men glared at them. Mood continued his report. "After that the stories are a little conflicting. Some people say the guy that did this took a couple of leaves from a Silver Leaf tree in the center of town. All of them agree that he hid his face and that he apperated away from town by setting off a clap of thunder. Stunning a chipmunk that was starting to develop a phobia of loud noises."

"Anything on Mr. Riddle?"

Moody shrugged. "Five families were killed in the last three weeks. All of them muggles with a muggle born witch or wizard in the family. The Ministry Aurors showed up about an hour after each attack, cleaned up the mess, cleaned out the refrigerator, and made off with all the silverware."

The order was gaping at Moody now.

"What? You think Fudge pays Aurors much of anything? We have to scrounge just to make it from month to month."

Fred and George yawned and vanished with twin cracks. At the same time Dumbledore sighed and wondered where he had gone so wrong. After Potter was thrown in Azkaban things had looked so bright. His plan was working perfectly, Tom was doing exactly like he predicted, Harry was in place, and then the whole thing just rolled over and died.

Tom didn’t attack Azkaban, where a large trap was set up. Harry wasn't there to save the day and prove his innocence, and Dumbledore wasn't able to take credit for taking down another Dark Lord. He sucked on a lemon drop and tried to keep a cheery face on. "Miss Granger?"

Scooting her chair back, Hermione brushed a hand through her long bushy hair and stood up. She cleared her throat. "Sir, my sources at the Daily Profit seem to think that Harry might be in hiding at a place similar to number twelve Grimauld place. His wand was snapped publicly by Fudge himself so it's unknown how Harry has eluded the Aurors."

"How could he find such a place Granger?" Moody growled.

"Harry has always been resourceful. I don’t think this situation is any different. Just because he broke out of Azkaban and vanished into thin air is pretty normal for him."

"The Git will be caught eventually Herm." Ron muttered, jealousy flashing in his eyes.

Hermione sniffed. "When will you declare him innocent Albus?”

"When the time is right."

"And when will that be?"

"As I said Miss Granger, when I feel the time is right." Albus said, showing a little more force than he really needed to. She backed down and Albus relaxed again.

"Alright sir."

"Just kill him on sight like the Ministry says and we get ten thousand galleons, I'm all for that."

"He's innocent Ron, remember?"

"Only when Dumbledore says so Herms, until then he's fair game."

Hermione huffed and stalked out of the room, but not before firing a spell at Ron. Who was writhing on the floor as a large bat made its way out of his nose in a rather disgusting display of mucus. Ginny just nodded as she chased after Hermione.

Oooooooooo

Robes billowing, Harry stalked down the darkened streets. There was no way he could show his face in the regular parts of magical London, but that didn’t keep him from going to lesser known places. Whispering Alley was a small magical strip mall near Edinburgh.

Gringotts didn't have a branch there so you had to bring your own money with you, but Harry didn't mind. He glanced down at his latest donation of three hundred galleons and grinned a little. This was his fifth mark for the night, giving him over a thousand galleons.

He finally had enough to buy what he was looking for and perhaps a couple of other things. Most of the people that frequented Whispering Alley were normal witches that didn’t want to go to an over crowded place like Diagon Alley. Most of them were quite old and set in their ways, so they didn't see the pile of bodies in the alley.

The apothecary had two phoenix feathers in stock and after examining them; Harry could tell that they were genuine. A few minutes after that Harry exited the shop six hundred galleons richer, leaving a grinning old man in his wake. With a clap of thunder, Harry vanished, and a gargoyle fell off a nearby roof and shattered as it hit the ground.

It nearly killed and old woman, who went home, gave her husband a kiss. It was such a life changing experience that she left her husband of eighty-five years and ran off to Russia to join a witch’s commune. Where she spent the next forty years stoned out of her mind, on weed, and singing prayers to the dancing pixies that liked to play with her hair.

Back at the Hideaway, Harry was finishing the last couple of runes for his wand. He pricked his finger and let ten drops run down the length of the wand as he chanted. He was just glad this spell didn't require an exact focus. So he was able to cast his magic into the wand.

As the last drop of blood was absorbed into the wand it started to glow a deep red color, burst into fire, and gave off phoenix song. Picking the wand up it almost seemed to croon and purr.

He could feel his magic surging through his body as he took the wand and held it high. It felt good to have a wand again and this one was aligned to his magic alone. No more half power spells like with is old wand. From now on his magic would flow through the wand and do exactly as it was told.

Just as it flipped out of his hand, landed on the floor, and started inching off like a worm. Harry gaped at it for several seconds before he ran over and grabbed it again. It wiggled around in his hand for several seconds before settling down.

After that it only took him about two hours of work to finish the staff he was working on. His two feathers came in handy as the last spells were placed on the staff. A wand was a simple focus for magic, but a staff was a magic amplifier that could increase any spell's power by almost ten times.

They weren't used much these days, except in magical construction companies when they were placing wards on large buildings. Even then a small group of men with wands was a very common sight. That didn’t stop Harry though; he had several ideas in mind that he just 'knew' would work.

These ideas would give him an advantage when he needed it. He carefully slotted his wand into a slot in the middle of the staff. The second it clicked into place the staff filled the small potions lab with light. When it died down, Harry looked won and smiled. His staff was gone, but the wand lay there innocently, glowing slightly.

According to his book, he could now switch back and forth as needed and the wand would always amplify his spells just the like the staff would. Just one step to go and he didn't need another focus for it. He flipped several pages in the book, found the spell he was looking for, and quickly cast it. The glowing wand suddenly warped, twisted, and shrank itself until it appeared to be a plain gold ring on his right middle finger.

His eyes gleamed as he noticed that the glow was only just then fading. He could feel his magic connected to the ring. Holding out his hand, a stunning spell flew from his hand and slammed into the wall, creating a small dent. After firing off about a dozen spells Harry nodded in satisfaction and cleaned up the lab with a wave of his hand.

He headed back to the library and put the wand book back. There were a couple of other wand types in there, but he would need more feathers for those, so he would wait. Perhaps he could get a few more from Fawks, the order of the burning chicken wouldn't mind in the least.

Flicking is wrist, the staff extended from his hand with a burst of phoenix song. The whole room seemed to fill with the sound and Harry took a second to thump the blue dome of magic over the book. It popped like a bubble. Harry's eyes widened as he felt the whole room shaking and saw lightning arching around the book.

After several seconds it finally came to an end though and he carefully approached the book. Written on the cover was 'The Book of Knowledge'. For some reason the name sounded familiar, but he couldn't recall from where. He touched the cover and the book suddenly rose into the air, opened up, and started flipping pages as it settled back on the dais.

As he got a look at the page he gasped. The Book of Knowledge was written over two thousand years ago when Merlin was still around. He started to read, letting the book teach him what he wanted to know. Even Hogwarts didn't have a book like this. If a spell was created, then the Book of Knowledge or The Book would have it listed within its pages.

It also didn't distinguish between light and dark magic, just difficulty.

oooooooooo

Harry apperated to the top of a small building and glanced down into the yard below where about twenty wild dogs were sleeping. A couple lifted their heads to glance in his direction, but Harry just grinned and waved his hand at them. His ring glowed.

A beam of energy shot out of his hand, hit one of the dogs, and then bounced from dog to dog. They didn't make any noise as Harry waved his hand at a nearby wall and an open gate appeared. He jumped off the roof and motioned for the dogs to follow him.

His eyes were twinkling like mad.

oooooooooo

"Albus."

Dumbledore turned to see Moody's head in the fireplace. "What is it Alister?"

"A couple hours ago something strange happened to Rita Skitter."

"Is she alright?"

"Physically the bint is fine, but I don’t know if she will ever recover from what happened."

"Go on."

"Well, she was just leaving the Daily Prophet for the night when a light shot down from a clear sky. She looked up into the light for a second and the light vanished. This is where things get rather odd. Witnesses, who turned out to be several of the night staff at the Prophet, said she shrugged the odd occurrence off and continued down the street for about five steps.

"Then out of nowhere a pack of dogs rounds the side of the prophet, nearly two dozen of them. They spot the bint, howl, and race towards her. She panics and tries to apperated out, but doesn't make it before the dogs get to her. They all jump her and force her to ground…" Moody snickers. "From there the employees said the dogs got rather…snicker …amorous, and proceeded to hump every inch of her body for nearly twenty minutes.

"Her screams of help were ignored as photographers took pictures and reporters rushed out to 'interview' her. The dogs all looked quite happy as they humped her and eventually…got off. The whole incident was photographed from beginning to end. Where someone, we don't know who, portkeyed her to St. Georges Pet Hospital. Where a large number of dogs spotted her and..." Moody snickered again. "Well you get the point."

"So someone pulled a prank Mrs. Skitter?"

"It looks that way."

"Any idea who?"

"No, but the witnesses said that the one that portkeyed her was wearing a green robe with his face obscured by a hood."

"Thank you Alister, any other incidents?"

"Just that one for now."

"Rita has made a lot of enemies over the years and this might be a retaliation, so it would be hard to tell who did it. The green robe was odd though. Most people wear black for things like that."

Alister just nodded. "That's all for now. Bye Albus."

"Good bye Alister." Albus said as the scared man's face vanished. He turned and went back to his desk. He was in deep thought, but after several minutes just noted it down and decided that it wasn't that important.

oooooooooo