Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Harry Potter and the Knights of Slytherin ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Harry Potter and the Knights of
 
Fan-fiction by Bizmarck
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter etc. It's just a fan-fiction, read and enjoy.
 
Review reply: Thanks to carpathia & Gaelyn for such lovely reviews, I will try my best to keep it going, nice reviews really help make the writing worthwhile.
 
Authors note: This chapter is getting serious in terms of plot, I really hope I have remembered all the past events correctly enough not to contradict anything written in any of the books. If I have forgotten something please let me know, I should be able to adapt my ideas to anything I have forgotten, they are fairly broad after all.
 
(Chapter 7)
 
Harry continued to stare at the virtual figure of Snape, awaiting his next move, his ghostly body contrasting starkly in the black world of their combined subconscious.
Harry suddenly felt as if he was physically swept forward, finding himself suddenly in a dark room. Looking around Harry recognised it as the muggle library that the Death Eaters had broken into, and where they had first found the information that would lead them to discover what Voldemort was after. Harry found the virtual Snape standing next to him, then his attention was turned back to the library, numerous Death Eaters were making their way through the building, Harry saw as Snape made an excuse to stay behind, his dark figure planting the evidence and conjuring the spell that would allow Hermione hours later to correctly decipher which book they had been after. Harry couldn't help but be impressed at the spell Snape must have cast, it would have been one of the most complicated he had ever heard of, imitating residual spells from long ago and masking its own origin. Harry momentarily wandered exactly how powerful Snape actually was.
“This is all well and good” stated Harry coldly. “But I still don't trust your motivations, there could be many reasons for your actions.”
Snape frowned for a second, watching Harry.
“What I am about to show you, you must never repeat to anyone Harry” said Snape suddenly, obviously unhappy about his decision. Harry looked at the figure as he mumbled something under his breath, genuinely surprised to hear his former teacher call him by his first name. Suddenly Harry was transported to a small graveyard, he recognised it as the place his parent where buried. It was early morning and a small breeze kicked up leaves across the meadow. Looking across he could see the memory of a younger Snape, he was standing alone in front of what Harry recognised as his mothers grave, the earth still fresh from a recent burial. Looking to his left he could see the virtual Snape, he had turned away from the scene and bowed his head, closing his eyes hard. Harry was mesmerised, moving over he walked beside the younger memory of Snape, hoping to get a look of his face. What Harry saw was something he had never expected, Snape was in total shock, his face completely devoid of strength, his expression looked simply devastated. Harry watched as the young man began to tremble, his expression turned to one of pain and desperation, every muscle straining as the Slytherin fell to his knees, an anguished muffled shout leaving his clenched teeth. Harry swore that Snape's clenched fists would draw blood, the young Snape leant back, the clenched energy leaving his body completely. The kneeling man opened his eyes again, looking sadly at Harry's mother's tombstone, Harry then noticed that he looked over at his fathers tombstone. Snape seemed to be suddenly overcome with rage, raising both his fists he slammed them down into the dirt, his fists putting impressive dints into the ground, he then remained lent forward. Harry continued to watch, noting that Snape's still body began to shake a bit.
`He was sobbing?' thought Harry suddenly `Snape was actually crying?'
Harry continued to watch in disbelief, jumping a bit when he suddenly heard a voice beside him
“Severus” said a soft voice kindly. Harry turned to see Dumbledore, who had appeared from the other direction, next to the old wizard was a scruffy, but distinguished looking witch with short blond hair, that Harry did not know.
“Severus” repeated Dumbledore. Snape, seemingly registering this time, and stopped shaking.
“Its not your fault Severus, you didn't know” said Dumbledore softly. Snape suddenly got back up to his knees, turning to face the older wizard, Harry could see the tears on his face for the first time.
“I killed her!” exclaimed Snape in anguish.
“You did nothing of the sort, you knew nothing about her son.” said Dumbledore calmly, but sadly.
“I should have protected her… stayed in touch… I should have been there” continued Snape sadly.
“Severus!” commanded Dumbledore suddenly, in his authoritarian voice. “You were trying to protect her, you have been working with Julia and the other Knights of Slytherin to bring down the Dark Lord for months, at great personal risk, no one could have asked more.”
“I should have consulted you first… why did they have to die… so many deaths…” trailed off Snape, suddenly looking at his own hands.
“You could not have known how Voldemort would react.” continued Dumbledore. “We have had to watch many people die so that we may find a way to destroy Voldemort, ours is not a path easily taken my friend… we have tarnished your own souls, so as to rid the world of a greater evil.”
Both Snape and Julia were watching Dumbledore intently.
“But be assured that we could not have saved the people that have been killed, for they would have died eventually, and after our temporary intervention there would have been no chance to stop the continued slaughter of countless others by Voldemorts hands.”
Harry was in shock, the shear volume of revelations simply overwhelming his senses.
“Is Voldemort at least destroyed?” asked Snape, dejected
“I am not sure what happened at the Potter's house, I have never heard of such a thing. But I have great fear that this is not the end of the matter.” said Dumbledore, though not sounding confident.
“The dark lord is dead” interrupted the witch for the first time. “Come on Severus its over, lets go away, we can start all over” she said desperately, as if attempting to convince herself. She moved a little closer to Snape. He looked up at the young witch sadly.
“I have nothing left” he said defeated. “I'm sorry Julia, I can't go on, your better off without me, I cannot repent for what I have done.” he said dejected. Looking across at Lily's grave again, he turned back to the young witch, looking deep within her brown eyes.
“I can not protect the people that I love.”
Julia, who had been looking on with a grave expression, suddenly looked a little shock, then she lowered her head, turning away slightly, Harry could see she was crying. Dumbledore had allowed the two to talk, looking on gravely, he could recognise in Snape's eyes that the man was completely destroyed. This was more then self-pity, Snape's had been forced to be considerably more `active' within the Death Eaters then Julia, and despised himself for it. He had had to justify his actions by focusing distinctly on the ones he did it for, the ones he loved, his family, his growing effecting for Julia, but most significantly of all, his first love, Harry's mother, Lily.
Dumbledore thought feverishly to come to a solution, he had to act quickly, otherwise Snape was in real danger of slipping into a depression it would be unlikely he would ever recover from. Suddenly Dumbledore spoke up;
“There is one way you might able to redeem yourself for the death of Lily Potter… in a way that would have mattered to her more then anything else.” he said calmly, choosing his words carefully. Snape raised his head to look at the older wizard.
“It requires a path even more dangerous then the one you have been taking, you must trust me completely, and never hesitate to act on what I say” said Dumbledore.
“What is it?” asked Snape, unsure.
“Lily and James's son Harry is still alive, and if Voldemort is not truly destroyed, as I fear, Harry will be one of the first people he seeks to kill when he returns” replied Dumbledore.
“Swear that you will do everything in your power to protect Harry from the Voldemort until he is truly destroyed, or it is proven he will never return.” he continued in a business like manner. Snape looked at the older wizard evenly, the strength returning into his expression.
“I will swear” said Snape suddenly, standing up, his expression ice-cold as Harry knew it.
“I will swear the unbreakable oath.” he added, taking a step forward “On my life.”
Julia had recovered a little and drew a quick breath at Snape's last comment.
“That is not necessary Severus.” said Dumbledore calmly.
“It is” replied Snape coldly, staring the older wizard square in the eyes. “I could not survive if I failed again.” he added, a small amount of feeling returning into his expression. Dumbledore's expression was unreadable as he searched the younger man's eyes.
“If that is your wish” he said calmly “Julia could you please be our binder” he said turning to the young witch. She hesitated and looked at Snape, whose expression softened once she made eye contact, looking a little sad. Reluctantly she pulled out her wand. Snape and Dumbledore took out their wands, kneeling in the grass they positioned themselves for the oath.
Harry watched in total shock as Snape swore on his life to protect Harry from Voldemort, to do everything in his power to ensure the Dark lords downfall, and finally, to follow Dumbledore's requests without hesitation. Soon the spell was completed, both the wizards standing back up. Snape turned to Julia, who still looking upset, he moved over to her and took her hands.
Harry was stunned, he looked over at the residual image of the older Snape, who was now watching the memory of Julia, a hint of sadness in his steely expression. Harry was in a total state of shock and confusion; he looked back at the young witch, who was looking up at the younger Snape.
“I know you can't stay,” said Snape kindly, holding her hands in his. “I'm sorry I can't go with you,” he added. Tears began to form in her eyes again and she enveloped the taller wizard in a hug, which he returned. They held each other for a while. Eventually they parted slightly, hands still around each other's waste. Snape's expression was kind but sad.
“Look me up once this is all over Severus.” she said in a broken voice, though hinting slightly at a threat. She then put her hands behind his head, pulling him down into a fierce kiss, which lasted a few seconds.
Releasing him she turned away, walking towards Dumbledore and past him, not looking back. Dumbledore nodded at the standing memory of Snape and turned to follow.
Harry continued to watch the scene, unbelieving,
`was it possible for Snape to conjure up such a memory? was this a trick?' Harry asked himself. He couldn't believe that Snape loved his mother, and if so why did he hate Harry so much, for someone whose life depended on Harry's well being he sure didn't act like he cared the many times Harry had come close to death, what the hell happened back when, Harry was suddenly overcome with a burning passion to know more, to understand, and in his hands lay the mechanism to do so, Snape's memory.
The residual form of Snape was watching Julia walk away, and his mind was completely unprepared for the violent and powerful attack to access his memory that Harry launched without warning.
Harry's first target was Snape's love for his mother. The world around the two ghostly figures was wrenched as Harry tore through scenes in Snape's memory, the visage of the current Snape clutched his head, collapsing to his knees, struggling to regain control. The environment surrounding the two played seemingly as short scenes, sometimes accelerated, as Harry rushed the information while Snape was still at a disadvantage.
Harry saw the sudden appearance of a much younger Snape, around about 8 years old, and a girl of the same age, obviously Harry's mother. Snape was almost unrecognisable, smiling and playing, the two youngsters running around like normal children. Suddenly the memory went forward, and again a similar scene but a different game, then it skipped forward again, both of them playing outside in the sun in an overgrown garden, they were now about 10. Obviously their families had always visited the same area, the two children seeing each other only a few times a year. Suddenly the vision went forward, it was Snape in a students uniform looking a little unsure, as all new students did who had just gotten of the Hogwarts express, suddenly he spotted Lily, the little girl embracing her friend and the two smiling happily. It zoomed forward, Harry suddenly saw images of an old woman and the younger Snape arguing, Harry heard his mother's name mentioned, Snape was obviously quite upset. The next few scenes were of Lily and Snape interacting, both looked upset but comforting each other, again more scenes with the old woman, in one she slapped the younger Snape sending him to the floor, Yelling something about family honour. Again the scene snapped back to Hogwarts, Harry watched scenes of Snape having run ins with other members, it was obvious he was being ostracised for his friendship with Lily, from other scenes it was also obvious that Lilly and Snape were still meeting in secret, Harry watched as Snape became increasingly darker. Other scenes showed Gryffindor students also giving Snape a hard time, he would occasionally hang around with two Ravenclaw boys but appeared to be more and more a loner. The scenes continued, Snape was now about fifteen and Harry noted that Snapes's expression only lightened when he met up with Lilly. The fast scenes suddenly slowed as in one meeting with Lilly she suddenly moved forward and kissed Snape on the lips. Harry only momentarily blinked before concentrating again and moving forward. Suddenly Snape was in a massive argument with the old woman, Harry assumed she was his grandmother, the argument got heated and after hitting Snape again he drew his wand but was disarmed then brutally brought to his knees by the spiteful woman, saying he was not going to follow his mothers path. Harry heard her yelling that he was going to be transferred. The next scene saw Lily in tears; Snape was holding her, his expression devoid of feeling. She clung to him and Harry watched as he talked to her calmly, she suddenly looked up at him, totally distraught, his expression was as Harry now remembered it to be, cold and hard, he said something to Lily and she stood up, he did too and she said something to him, Harry read her lips, swearing it was I love you, Snape stood completely still for a second the seemed to say the same, but this was quickly followed by other words. Suddenly Lily looked heartbroken, running from the room, Snape just stood there, watching her go. Harry raced through the scenes until he recognised Hogwarts again. Snape was much taller now, about 16, Harry watched as he stalked the halls, obviously his first day back. He spotted Lily up ahead, surrounded by friends, she spotted him and stopped, the two exchanged a very awkward greeting, both not really moving, just staring at each other, Lily was then dragged away by her friends, she looked unsure and let them, Snape simply watched her go, Harry noted his father and the Marauders looking on the background, his father did not look pleased to see Snape back.
Next to the ghostly figure of Harry current Snape was still on his knees, at a major disadvantage, he struggled to get Harry out of his mind.
Harry plunged-on, seeing scenes of Snape becoming more reclusive, actively avoiding Lily, and quite often having run-ins with James and his friends. After a while Harry's parents obviously qot together, Snape giving dark looks every-time he saw them together, and Lily actively hesitating when she saw Snape, James appeared to pick on Snape less now that he was together with Lily, but still viewed him darkly. Harry suddenly came through scenes at the graduation, Snape had gotten head of the year, winning the house cup for . The next scenes saw Snape packing, in an abandoned house dorm. Followed by him making his way towards the main entrance of Hogwarts. Harry, standing in the middle of the memory of the hallway, could see through slightly open side door into the main hall, he could see that the graduation break-up party was in full swing, the rest of Hogwarts appeared to be deserted. The scene slowed down has Harry concentrated to get every detail, recognising this moment as pivotal. Looking back he could see his mother standing just inside the main gate, facing outwards looking into the night. Snape slowed and stopped, letting his trunk drop from his hands, Lily turned, walking up to him slowly, Snape did not move. She stopped just in front of him, looking up into his face, Harry struggled to get sound from the memory, Snape was regaining control of his mind and resisted. Harry could only watch as they talked for a while, Snape's, now, mostly hard expression softening slightly, Lily looked very sad and confused, but appeared confident in her words, they talked for a while, Snape and Lily both smiling a bit, obviously remembering happier times. They talked a bit more then Snape made some final comments, Lily nodded then suddenly walked forward, wrapping her arms around Snape and leaning her head on his chest. Snape looked shocked for a second then returned the hug, the two friends simply standing there. Unknown to them Harry saw James suddenly emerge from the party, seeing the two the smile ran from his face, he watched for a second before disappearing back into the party. Lily let go of Snape and they exchanged a sad smile before she walked back to the party, neither looking back, Snape picked up his trunk and walked towards the door, Harry ran forward and was not surprised to see his father leaning on the outside of the door, waiting for Snape. Harry put all is thoughts into hearing what was about to be said, knowing this was fundamental to Snaps attitude to Harry's father, and subsequently to him. Behind him he heard the current residual form of Snape groan as Harry fought for this last bit of information.
“Leaving so soon Snape?” Harry heard James ask, in a coy voice. Snape stopped, looking around suspiciously. Harry had to admit that he did indeed look the spitting image of his father, except for the eyes.
“Without your goons tonight, Potter?” asked the memory of Snape spitefully, in the same way that Harry received himself from his former teacher. James pushed himself off the door and walking around Snape, the Slytherin youth dropping his case again.
“Now there is no need for that, we haven't touched you in a year” said James casually. Snape grinned evilly. “So I assume they were finally able to get the green out of Sirius's leg then.” he said coyly. Harry had not seen many flashbacks of the pranks that Snape and the Gryffindor Marauders had played against each other, though it was obvious that Snape was far from always being the victim.
“It appears that Lily had a little talk with you about a year ago as well seems.” said James, a hint of annoyance in his voice.
“I may have received the occasional note.” said Snape, obviously enjoying James unease at his girlfriends communication with him.
“Yes, I knew of them.” said James calmly. Snape suspected as much but didn't want to give James any credit.
“Not jealous I hope, Potter” said Snape viciously. James stopped walking, observing the slightly taller fellow student.
“I trust Lily with my life, only a fool would not…” said James calmly “She has told me much about you Snape, I know I have nothing to fear from her.” said James coldly, the two youths staring each other in the eyes. Snape knew nothing of their relationship, and was obviously a little disappointed that it had gotten so deep.
“It is you I do not trust” continued James “Lily is too beautiful a person to see the danger her compassion could put her in, I don't want you making any trouble for her.”
James squared up a little to the taller and thinner young man. Snape looked down at him.
“You know nothing about me Potter.” he replied spitefully. “I would never do anything to harm her.”
Harry heard a muffled shout from behind, the current ghostly form of Snape wasn't enjoying this memory at all, Harry turned back to the two figures in the memory.
“I will make sure no one does” replied James sharply, though then he backed down a bit, taking a step back from Snape, looking like he was thinking to himself.
“Your right” James suddenly said. “I don't know you at all Severus. I don't know your motives, your desires, and I will never be able to understand your decisions, perhaps I am partially to blame for this as well.”
James was speaking normally, almost kindly; it was obvious he was trying to come to some kind of truce or understanding with his former adversary. Snape however was having none of it.
“Complex things have always been beyond you James” said Snape coldly, picking up his case again he began to move past James.
James calm expression turned angry, obviously hurt at having his attempt at conciliation thrown back in his face. James watched Snape go past, Harry watched his fathers expression become darker, he knew that James would not be able to let Snape go without another comment, he recognised the fighter in himself.
“You know you could have had her.” came the quiet voice of James. Snape stopped walking, but did not turn to face him.
“She loved you and you turned her away, and now you've lost her for ever… and you know it.”
James continued, his voice rising, Snape did not seemingly react.
“Don't blame me for your idiotic decisions.” James added viciously. This obviously rubbed Snape the wrong way, he turned to face James;
“We don't all have your ideal little life Potter, some of us don't have the luxury to simply think of ourselves.” Snape retorted angrily.
“Don't give me your pathetic excuses Snape.” James shot back. “If you really loved her you would have fought for her.”
Harry was having trouble concentrating on the scene as well as maintaining control over Snape's memory, his former teacher had began to wrestle back control slowly, desperately trying to expel Harry from his mind.
“You have no idea of what I've bin through!” shouted Snape. “You could never know!”
James watched him angrily.
“I do know one thing, you're a coward Snape! You were too much of a coward to give Lilly what she deserved” James suddenly spat. Behind Harry the current Snape growled through his teeth again.
“I am not a coward!” roared the memory of Snape, dropping his trunk and suddenly drawing his wand, James did the same and the two squared off, both sets of eyes filled with hate.
Both were momentarily distracted when the great doors was thrown open suddenly, Dumbledore suddenly appearing, Lily, Lupin, Sirius and many other students coming to the door behind him.
The scene began to fade as Harry lost control of Snape's mind, Harry just had time to watch as James turned back around to find the younger Snape, gone.
 
Back in the real world the kneeling Snape screamed;
“Enough!” he yelled, Snape tore his hands away from Harry's head, the two figures fell backwards away from each other heavily, both landed awkwardly but then remained still, breathing hard in an attempting to recover. Harry blinked a couple of times then knelt up on his elbows, looking over he could see Snape still crumpled on the floor.
“Professor Snape, are you ok?” asked Harry in between breaths. Snape did not answer for a while, then simply groaned. Harry, satisfied that this was a positive sign, sat up, leaning against a desk, sitting there, he watched his former teacher. After a while Snape began to move, pushing himself into a sitting position against a Pillar. Harry simply sat there, thinking about all he had just seen.
“You simply had to know, didn't you Potter” said Snape bitterly. Harry was lost in his thoughts and simply looked at Snape.
“Just as selfish and arrogant as your father, never believing anyone could be as righteous as you.” Snape continued, he pushed the hair out of his face, watching Harry intently. Harry watched the older man carefully, his expression regained some of his strength.
“I'm sorry” Harry said simply, it was a genuine apology but said with such strength that it didn't lower Harry's position at all. Snape looked at his former student for a while, grunting he raised into a higher seating position.
“Well at least that's something.” Snape replied, “I'm glad to finally see some of Lily coming through, other then just the eyes...”
Silence returned, then both slowly began to get back up, grunting as they did so.
“I would hope that you have now `forcibly' seen enough of the truth, to convince even your stubborn self of my intentions.” continued Snape, straightening up.
“No” replied Harry. “But I have seen enough to be willing to give you a chance…”
Snape looked momentarily stunned. “Unbelievable, I will never understand you Potter” he said darkly.
“And I you.” replied Harry, with conviction. “And that's why I will never be able to fully trust you, beyond your need to see Voldemort dead, and your need for `him' not to kill me.”
Snape looked at Harry coldly, the calculating expression returning to his face, despite its current battered state.
“That will be enough” said Snape, he put up his right hand, muttering a few word, Harry stood up and followed suit, soon both wands came flying into view, returning to there masters.
“You will not have to tolerate your new forced faith in me for long in any case” said Snape, looking around the room.
“The Dark Lord has procured the Star-cross of Hufflepuff, and he will soon have all he needs to perform the rite of Cecilia.” continued Snape.
“What is that?” asked Harry, not recognising the terms. Snape smiled at him.
“Ask Granger” he replied. Snape stopped looking around the office and raised his left hand, some chairs fell over as his broom reacted to the wizards call.
“I will need a way to contact you that can not be traced” said Snape suddenly. Harry looked at him for a second, then his brain kicked into gear and he began to think quickly. Snape began to look impatient when Harry suddenly hit on an idea, moving over he grabbed a clean piece of paper, holding out his wand he muttered a few words, the paper glowed for a second, before a small picture of an owl, the spitting image of Hedwig, appeared as a letterhead. Harry moved over to Snape, who was now at the hole in the window, handing him the paper.
“Simply write `To Harry' under the letterhead and leave it somewhere where Hedwig can get to it, and I will receive it.” said the young wizard.
Snape took the paper and put it away in his cloak, he looked out of the window for a moment, no muggle police had yet to show up, all emergency services at this late hour no doubt handling the footbridge collapse.
“Do not underestimate what I will write Potter” said Snape, turning to face Harry one more time. “If the Dark Lord is able to complete the rite, there will be no more hope for any of us... But we must let him start the process, you will have to manipulate the Aurors for our purpose.” Snape continued in a cold calculating manner. “This is what Dumbledore gave his life for, don't let his sacrifice be in vein” he added finally. Harry looked at the former head of Slytherin.
“Let us hope your-life-for-his, was worth it.” said Harry mechanically. Snape scolded at the young man. Snape moved as if to go, then suddenly sent a massive swing towards Harry's head, connecting his fist to the side of it. Harry, completely unprepared, fell backwards to the ground, hard. Holding his cheek Harry looked up at the standing Snape, growling through clenched teeth.
“And that is for violating my memories Potter!” spat Snape, “Your lucky that I still need you, otherwise you would have paid more dearly for what you just did” he said finally, before quickly mounting his broom and flying out of the shattered window. Harry watched him go, left alone he slowly got back up. It had been the weirdest evening of Harry's life, and that was saying a lot, Harry suddenly felt exhausted, and had only one desire, to get back to his friends, and to go to sleep. Moving over to the open window he recalled his broom, which had survived the impact and rushed up from the street below to its masters outstretched hand. Still deep in thought Harry got on the broom, pretty much on autopilot as he quickly zoomed off into the night, quite happy to have the lights of the Muggle city behind him.
 
Authors note:
 
Phew… wow, if that wasn't a tough one to write. Lots of heavy stuff there, can only hope that I haven't missed something crucial about Harry's parent's generation's past. But if I remember correctly J.K.R only had the vaguest references to any past events of that group. Well if there's something I have forgotten that was stated in the books, please tell me and I'll rewrite that section, the plot devices are pretty broad, and should be able to take a bit of change. Hope you liked it! :-)
(Go Snape! Go James! Go Lily!)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1